• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
didn't know you could melee them. And quick-shot never seems to work on them for me...

for quick shot you have to be close... it has to be closer to you than anything else. same for melee.

Just cleared Leon Chapter 3 and I thought it was fine. People kept going on about how much it sucked but I had no problems with it. It never reached the highs of Chapter 1 and 2 but it never hit the lows of Chapter 1 and 2 either. It was the best paced chapter of Leons campaign so far, imo. However it may also have to do with the fact that I got a D rank for clear time in Chapter 2 meanwhile I got an A rank for clear time in Chapter 3.

Afrocious

My issue with Leon Ch. 3 was with how stupid it was.

I imagine there being a file about the setting you're in during the whole chapter. I read one about the place and
The Family
but I have no idea who they are except
Simmons
is a part of them apparently.

Tall Oaks sure was in a shitty position from the get go.

olimpia84

Yeah, I just got done with Leon's Ch. 3 and it wasn't nearly as bad as Ch. 2. Also played a few Mercenaries round with a random dude and it was fun. I like the fact that the skill points you earn in Mercenaries can be applied to the single player campaign.

I agree it's stupid... in terms of unrealistic scenarios it's probably one of the most idiotic settings in any game.

Tadale

I finished Leon's campaign last night, haven't started any of the others. It really dragged in the last couple of chapters – kind of became a little boring, despite the super crazy exploding stuff. Ridiculous that the one particular section was reused as a tutorial – I can't think of anything different besides Helena being hurt at the beginning.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which skill points that are worth investing in?

Keep in mind I like to use things other than the most often cited, but these certainly didn't hurt in my solo Veteran playthrough and a couple Pro revisits before returning the rental:

-- J'avo Killer (Lv2) for Chris and Jake OR Zombie Killer (Lv2) for Leon
-- Defense (Lv2)
-- Melee (Lv2) OR Recovery (Lv1) OR for
Ada
I liked to equip
Arrow Increase

Otherwise I just banked the credits to go in-game shopping for when I buy the game later.

Where can I view the files I've looked all over the menus and I can't find them anywhere.

I imagine there being a file about the setting you're in during the whole chapter. I read one about the place and
The Family
but I have no idea who they are except
Simmons
is a part of them apparently.

Tall Oaks sure was in a shitty position from the get go.
I agree it was completely ridiculous. Catacombs like those don't exist in America. Some of the Zombies were just walking skeletons which make no sense. Not too mention saltwater shouldn't exist there for a freaking shark. However, there are so many idiotic things in the game that I stopped caring. Outrunning an explosion in the prologue kind of set the tone for nonsensical action set pieces.
Yeah, I just got done with Leon's Ch. 3 and it wasn't nearly as bad as Ch. 2. Also played a few Mercenaries round with a random dude and it was fun. I like the fact that the skill points you earn in Mercenaries can be applied to the single player campaign.

I agree it's stupid... in terms of unrealistic scenarios it's probably one of the most idiotic settings in any game.
Glad I'm not alone. The pacing of Chapter 2 really bogged down the chapter which had a lot of great moments.

Curufinwe

The enemies aren't as diverse in RE4 in terms of their behavior, but the way they are placed and the environments in which you encounter them make for variation all the way through the game.

I like how he conveniently left the monks, the JJs, Novistadors, Regenerators, Garradors, and Ganado militia off his list of enemies in RE 4.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So.... controlling a cerberus is about the best thing ever.

What an amazing game mode. Just needs a little work getting into/out of games but yeah... play as the monster. This is like a game in itself.

I'm in love with it.

The animation on the monsters is so amazing... stalking the agents in the rain with a soaking wet cerberus looks so cool. It's so cool.

News Bot

Banned
This was quite unexpected, there is a reference to 9/11. It's only in the Japanese text, removed in English. Comparison:

Official English Transcript said:
The bioterrorism we have seen in recent years has surpassed the level the organizations currently in operation can cope with.

Official Japanese Text said:
合衆国は9.11以降、長いテロとの戦いに未だ明確に終止符を打てていない。昨今はバイオテロという新しい脅威にもさらされており、これらに旧来の組織体系で立ち向かっていくことは、難しくなってきている。

Project Umbrella Translation said:
The United States has clearly not yet put an end to the long war on terrorism following 9.11. On the contrary, nowadays it has been exposed to a new menace of bioterrorism, and it has been difficult to confront these in the old organizational framework.

TheGrue

I've been monitoring this thread since the release of the game and I think I am finally swayed to get it, Jeebus help me. I was looking forward to this game and seeing Brad, who liked RE5 (like I do), crap all over it was pretty swaying, but it seems like the game isn't ruining people's lives in here.

Grisby

Finished Chris's story. I liked the ending but man, the final boss sucked again.

It was cool in aesthetic design but I wasted all of my ammo figuring out what to do. On top of that the devs felt lit was cool to not provide any ammo pickups whatsoever. So while it was a bit thrilling it was also stupid that I spent 20min or so knifing the poor bastard to death.

Oh there was one random ammo drop. 5 bullets. Thanks.

Nemesis_

So... you only get points in mercs if you stay alive to the end, right? We had a really good game/combo going last night but my partner died. :(

Man, that would've unlocked some stuff. Even today I was playing a little bit with randoms and they kept getting killed near the end. Play a long match and lose everything. Kick in the balls. Especially since I was hardly ever touched. My random partners kept running away from me, they get swarmed and killed, and are too far for me to reach them.

Will have to play this is strictly people on the FL I think.

You can buy a skill named Medic which means when you heal, your partner heals automatically too, no matter the distance.

It might help for those games with randoms where they don't have the sense to heal.

RedSwirl

Resident Evil characters are kinda getting up there man:

Chris: 40
Ada: 39
Leon: 37
Sherry: 27 (older than Helena and older than all the main characters were in RE1 and 2)

They need to start switching gears to people like Sherry, Jake, and possibly Rebecca (who is 34 by now). Heck. I'd even like to know what happened to Barry (who is at least in his late 50's by now).

Replicant

Try to pin the zombies to the walls with arrows. That way you can access the chest without any other weight.

Thank you!

I like how he conveniently left the monks, the JJs, Novistadors, Regenerators, Garradors, and Ganado militia off his list of enemies in RE 4.

5 more enemies type on top of the old boring farmers Ganado and trolls? How exciting and varied! I'll tell you what, I'll give you the correct numbers: it's about 11 enemies types. In comparison, there are 35+ enemies type in RE6 (open your stat screen to count). Each one has different kind of weakness and method of attacks.

Well, you can't expect someone who is criticizing RE4 to have any facts on their side. :p

Judging from the tone of your comment, RE4 fans are the ones who act like whiny, sneering pieholes with no fact on their side.

I really love the intersecting points, especially the ones where you don't interact with the other players much. It's just a weird cool feeling knowing someone else is there.

denshuu

Has anyone found out what the ??? skills are, above the ones for infinite ammo? They're the ones with unlock requires that say "Get X Kills with Y Weapon." I've been killing just about everything with melee attacks so I know I'm nowhere close to unlocking any of these, even with all the campaigns completed.

Grisby

Resident Evil characters are kinda getting up there man:

Chris: 40
Ada: 39
Leon: 37
Sherry: 27 (older than Helena and older than all the main characters were in RE1 and 2)

They need to start switching gears to people like Sherry, Jake, and possibly Rebecca (who is 34 by now). Heck. I'd even like to know what happened to Barry (who is at least in his late 50's by now).
While I like that Capcom keeps putting new characters in (I enjoyed Piers, Helena not as much as I thought I would) they need to bring back some of the olders dudes.

Spoilers for Chris's early parts:
Claire gets a name drop but that's about it.

i prefer the classic characters instead of the generic new ones from RE 4-6,although helena is decent.weskers son is corny and a Dante rip off.

RedSwirl

While I like that Capcom keeps putting new characters in (I enjoyed Piers, Helena not as much as I thought I would) they need to bring back some of the olders dudes.

Spoilers for Chris's early parts:
Claire gets a name drop but that's about it.

Come to think of it, Claire hasn't been playable in any part of the canon taking place after 1998.

I agree it was completely ridiculous. Catacombs like those don't exist in America. Some of the Zombies were just walking skeletons which make no sense. Not too mention saltwater shouldn't exist there for a freaking shark. However, there are so many idiotic things in the game that I stopped caring. Outrunning an explosion in the prologue kind of set the tone for nonsensical action set pieces.

Look, I get it, it's over the top and ridiculous. Have you not played the other previous games though? RE4 had a little midget terrorizing you, but that's not the crazy part. What was crazy was he had erected a giant robotic statue to chase you down. I mean I'll admit RE6 takes the over the top to a whole other level but these games were never exactly pushing realism here. Giant snakes, giant spiders, giant sharks, Trolls from the hobbit, fighting in a volcano, boulder punching, etc.

Curufinwe

Rock steady reduces the recoil after firing shots, Lock-on steadies your aim before firing and increases accuracy. I put 1 level into Rock steady and didn't feel it added anything.

There are a few ways to farm for skills points if you want to google them.

This method sounds reasonable.

How to Farm Skill Points

Method #1: Solo
Following this method, you should be able to make 5,000 Skill Points per run. Each run should only take about six minutes to complete.
Load Leon’s Campaign and begin Chapter 4. Take the Magnum and ammo, you should be able to make the run with just the Magnum and ammo alone.
Take out the first enemy, get through the cutscene, and get to the back of the ship where you can find a 5,000 Skill Point pick-up.
Exit through the doorway, use the valve, open, and pull the hatch then shoot through the remaining enemies.
Continue fighting through enemies until you reach the saved checkpoint. Here, quit and repeat by reloading the Chapter.

Come to think of it, Claire hasn't been playable in any part of the canon taking place after 1998z
i have been saying claire is overdue.i thought she would be in RE6 before we knew the characters in it.leon is fine but chris was just in RE5,i dont think he was needed.also jill as well even though she was in RE5, you didnt play as her for the story.capcom must not like the RE woman!

Afrocious

Look, I get it, it's over the top and ridiculous. Have you not played the other previous games though? RE4 had a little midget terrorizing you, but that's not the crazy part. What was crazy was he had erected a giant robotic statue to chase you down. I mean I'll admit RE6 takes the over the top to a whole other level but these games were never exactly pushing realism here. Giant snakes, giant spiders, giant sharks, Trolls from the hobbit, fighting in a volcano, boulder punching, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I find it all hilarious to think about.

Nothing tops being chased by that statue though.

branny

Even if RE4 had a lot of enemy types, it didn't feel like it when nearly every encounter was filled with those shambling farmers or cult people. I don't know if Revelations has more or less, but encounters in that game felt a lot more varied simply because enemies were constantly switched up, for example. I still like RE4 way more than that game, though.

Anyway, I've only done Ch. 1 and 2 for all three campaigns so far (in Leon's Ch. 2 right now) and still don't know where RE6 is on my list. I like RE5 more than REV, I think, and really enjoy a lot of the mechanics and enemies in RE6. The scenario design, pacing, and oddball ideas like QTEs and stealth crap just bring it down for me so far.

RE6 is fun but unpolished. I'd say the same about Dragon's Dogma, actually, and I adore that game. Maybe I should play RE4 and RE5 again right after RE6? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I liked RE6 more because character control means a lot to me.

TentPole

OK well can someone explain why? That's one of the reasons why Im interested..

For me it is the focus on maneuverability and dodging as well as the management of the stamina meter for fancy melee attacks in between straight up shooting. All these things give it the same kinetic flow that I have only seen in Vanquish and this.

I said it was nonsensical, over the top and idiotic but I completely enjoyed it. Don't need to get so defensive.

Sojgat

Are you guys still making comparisons to Vanquish or is that a done deal?

Combat that at first looks basic, but really encourages expert play
Meter that limits melee, which "overheats" when drained
Cover that recharges meter
Weapon specific melee moves and combos
Sliding is an integral part of combat
Amazing combat depth and available range of options
Great range of enemies that respond best to different tactics

The difference is Vanquish had a better camera, more consistently well designed encounters, and it's controls were more intuitive.

Thank you!

5 more enemies type on top of the old boring farmers Ganado and trolls? How exciting and varied! I'll tell you what, I'll give you the correct numbers: it's about 11 enemies types. In comparison, there are 35+ enemies type in RE6 (open your stat screen to count). Each one has different kind of weakness and method of attacks.

Judging from the tone of your comment, RE4 fans are the ones who act like whiny, sneering pieholes with no fact on their side.
RE6 may have had more variety but for RE4s time the variety and set pieces were unheard of. The game was constantly throwing new obstacles, enemies and environments. The thing that RE4 did better than RE6 was that all of its different setpieces and chapters were well paced and almost all of them were top notch. RE6 suffers from pacing problems and the different enemies/settings are very hit and miss compared to RE4 where they were widely regarded as hits.

Andrew.

Banned
Combat that at first looks basic, but really encourages expert play
Meter that limits melee, which "overheats" when drained
Cover that recharges meter
Weapon specific melee moves and combos
Sliding is an integral part of combat
Amazing combat depth and available range of options
Great range of enemies that respond best to different tactics

The difference is Vanquish had a better camera, more consistently well designed encounters, and it's controls were more intuitive.

Thanks guys. Urge to buy.....rising.

goldensun

Oh there was one random ammo drop. 5 bullets. Thanks.
When the boss shoots his three projectiles at you, they stick to either the floor or ceiling (whichever they hit), and in turn if you blow them up with a gunshot they drop random ammo. You probably just hit one by accident or ran into it and it blew up and gave you the random drop.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thank you!

Actually, the tone of my comment was jocular, hence the smiley. The content of my comment, however, is accurate in your case because as Curufinwe correctly pointed out, you omitted many relevant details in your reductionist summary of RE4.

There's more to gameplay variety than the types of enemies. Even you though can't understand tone, I'm sure you can understand that.

Not getting defensive at all. Just wondering if you had these same issues with the other games. That's all.
I found this title took it to a new level. Does it bother me? No of course not. In the other REs I laughed or went "oh crap". With RE6 I laughed and continued on. Again I just said I found the most over the top chapter in RE6 to be fairly enjoyable so it clearly doesn't bother me.

Replicant

Actually, the tone of my comment was jocular, hence the smiley. The content of my comment, however, is accurate in your case because as Curufinwe correctly pointed out, you omitted many relevant details in your reductionist summary of RE4.

There's more to gameplay variety than the types of enemies. Even you though can't understand tone, I'm sure you can understand that.

I don't need to be reductionist in summarising RE4 because it does fine job of doing so itself. Did you fail to click on the link I provided? It's not like I made it up that the amount of enemies in RE4 were about 11.

Gameplay variety is dictated partly by the enemies type and their attack. How you'd react is also depending on the environment in which you're put in. And unfortunately there are limited amount of areas that RE4 that there wasn't enough variety. What do you expect when the locale was limited to a small village where everything looks almost the same?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not getting defensive at all. Just wondering if you had these same issues with the other games. That's all.

The more realistic the graphics and the more "serious" the presentation, the more these kinds of nonsensical things might stand out and be worthy of criticism. That's what potentially sets RE6 apart from other games containing over-the-top nonsense. There's a dissonance between the presentation style (serious, dramatic, barely any levity or weirdness) and the content (stuff that clearly hasn't been thought out in a way that supports the narrative)... that invites this sort of criticism. Lots of games are ridiculous, but not every game is dissonant in this way.

I don't need to be reductionist in summarising RE4 because it does fine job of doing so itself. Did you fail to click on the link I provided? It's not like I made it up that the amount of enemies in RE4 were about 11.

Gameplay variety is dictated partly by the enemies type and their attack. How you'd react is also depending on the environment in which you're put in. And unfortunately there are limited amount of areas that RE4 that there wasn't enough variety. What do you expect when the locale was limited to a small village where everything looks almost the same?

What in the living fuck are you talking about?

It's almost like you're ignoring that there were three HUGE settings, each containing dozens of carefully designed rooms and hallways. They even interrupt the visual style within those basic environmental themes fairly often.

As to your point about how many enemy types there are, I acknowledged it and then proceeded to explain why it's not decisive in the debate about variety.

I don't hate RE6, so don't get me wrong. I'm engaging you for the purpose of defending RE4 against what I perceive to be completely inaccurate judgments. I'm not trying to argue that RE6 is terrible BECAUSE RE4 was so good. Maybe that will lower your defenses a little so you can stop making ridiculous claims to support your love of RE6.

Andrew.

Banned
Just keep in mind a lot of the stuff people have said about the excess of bad QTEs and the inconsistent quality across the 4 campaigns. There's a ton of content, some is great, some is kinda awful.

Yeah I know and that's cool. I dont care if its a bit inconsistent. There's far worse stuff out there.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
So, if you join someone's room at the beginning, but miss the opening cutscene you won't get the achievement for beating the chapter?!

:(

The more realistic the graphics and the more "serious" the presentation, the more these kinds of nonsensical things might stand out and be worthy of criticism. That's what potentially sets RE6 apart from other games containing over-the-top nonsense. There's a dissonance between the presentation style (serious, dramatic, barely any levity or weirdness) and the content (stuff that clearly hasn't been thought out in a way that supports the narrative)... that invites this sort of criticism. Lots of games are ridiculous, but not every game is dissonant in this way.

I can see that end of the spectrum, but still never really got this criticism with any games for that matter. For example, COD franchise is based in reality but is way over the top as well. For me these games and moments spark moments of "Wow awesome, something only a game could provide or do" But different strokes for different folks obviously.

Replicant

What in the living fuck are you talking about?

It's almost like you're ignoring that there were three HUGE settings, each containing dozens of carefully designed rooms and hallways. They even interrupt the visual style within those basic environmental themes fairly often.

I'm talking about the setting being a small village and its neighboring areas. Yes, it looks like it's expansive but the reality is, because it's a village, there's not much to see, you see the village, you see the surrounding valleys, lake, and later on castles. The environments are almost similar except when you're indoor or underground. I don't like the lack of variety. Maybe you enjoy it but don't expect others to do the same.

As to your point about how many enemy types there are, I acknowledged it and then proceeded to explain why it's not decisive in the debate about variety.

I don't hate RE6, so don't get me wrong. I'm engaging you for the purpose of defending RE4 against what I perceive to be completely inaccurate judgments. I'm not trying to argue that RE6 is terrible BECAUSE RE4 was so good. Maybe that will lower your defenses a little so you can stop making ridiculous claims to support your love of RE6.

It wasn't you I was arguing with in the first place. I was arguing with someone who claimed that RE4 had more enemy varieties, which is laughable in the first place because THE FACT is, as I pointed out in the link I posted, there weren't that many enemy varieties in RE4. I wasn't even trying much to downplay RE4. I was just stating a fact to an overzealous RE4 fan who think that RE4 is ichi-ban in monster variety even when it flies against the reality and fact. Don't give me bullshit when I know for a fact that it's not true and I won't call you on your BS.

Top Bottom