• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I completed Chris's scenario and I hated the last chapter. I mean
I died 9x at the cocoon boss fight and it's due to trial and error running, fuck that shit.

Chris is generic dudebro shooting IMO.

I died 9x at the cocoon boss fight and it's due to trial and error running, fuck that shit.

I don't find that any of the campaigns play generically. Or maybe I missed the part in Gears where I could slide into a guy's knees, give 'em the backfist, realize there's an enemy behind me, roll forward - pulling a stylish 180 upon hitting the ground, and blowing the fucker's head off with a shotgun blast.

And playing Chris like a stop n' pop cover shooter is a surefire way to lose ammo. Even on Professional I got to the point where I was taking out groups of 4 enemies with only 1 or 2 bullets.

Lucent

I must be an idiot, how do you actually install RE:6 to the PS3?
I don't play a lot of PS3 games :p

Some games have the option. Some will tell you it needs to install. Dragon's Dogma and RE6 do a "stealth install". So it installs while you're playing it.

If you go into your game data utility on the PS3, you'll see there's almost 4GB taken up for RE6.

Some games have the option. Some will tell you it needs to install. Dragon's Dogma and RE6 do a "stealth install". So it installs while you're playing it.

If you go into your game data utility on the PS3, you'll see there's almost 4GB taken up for RE6.

Just out of interest, what would happen if you didn't have 4gb of free space on your PS3? Would the game fail to load?

Lucent

Just out of interest, what would happen if you didn't have 4gb of free space on your PS3? Would the game fail to load?

I don't think it would fail to load. It'd probably install what it could and then just maybe not perform as well. I don't really know for sure.

I actually found
the knife works great to cut those 2 lumps off the last boss
in Chris' final chapter
The knife was the only thing left to use for me. It worked. ammunition during that section was VERY LOW TO NONE in my gameplay. Glad that my friend used his
Piers (infinite?) magical powers
to end that
boss

I don't find that any of the campaigns play generically. Or maybe I missed the part in Gears where I could slide into a guy's knees, give 'em the backfist, realize there's an enemy behind me, roll forward - pulling a stylish 180 upon hitting the ground, and blowing the fucker's head off with a shotgun blast.

And playing Chris like a stop n' pop cover shooter is a surefire way to lose ammo. Even on Professional I got to the point where I was taking out groups of 4 enemies with only 1 or 2 bullets.

I really am sick of the constant references to Gears of War, it's an insult to the combat in both games.

So I didn't really pay attention to RE6 because of all the negative impressions popping up everywhere. I downloaded the demo and decided to play it last night. I dunno, played Leon's campaign and thought it was good fun. The close kill mechanic etc could be great for mercenaries. So how good is mercs mode in RE6? Is it awesome enough to justify buying it? (I loved mercs in RE4 but not so much in RE5)

Jawmuncher

So I didn't really pay attention to RE6 because of all the negative impressions popping up everywhere. I downloaded the demo and decided to play it last night. I dunno, played Leon's campaign and thought it was good fun. The close kill mechanic etc could be great for mercenaries. So how good is mercs mode in RE6? Is it awesome enough to justify buying it? (I loved mercs in RE4 but not so much in RE5)

They were like the same thing, care to elaborate im curious.

Replicant

I hate the
running sequence too. That is such a BS moment taken out of Uncharted 3's shitty running sequence where you can't see where you're going until the last minute
. OTOH, Chris' actual final boss fight was actually enjoyable and fun and
harrowing *sniffs...Piers*

Jawmuncher

It was mostly down to superior level design in RE4 I think, and I didn't like the aesthetics of RE5 that much either. Too much brightness/glare in the daylight, too many goofy enemies. IMO.

Understandable.
People have been saying Mercs is a lot of fun, but theres only 3 maps so take what you will from that.

Carbonox

Holy crap at the lazy graphics during Ada's Chapter 5
helicopter mission through the streets. The cars are literally blocks. :lol :lol :lol

I hate the
running sequence too. That is such a BS moment taken out of Uncharted 3's shitty running sequence where you can't see where you're going until the last minute
. OTOH, Chris' actual final boss fight was actually enjoyable and fun and
harrowing *sniffs...Piers*
It was really stupid how
touching Piers would make you stutter and the camera movement cause you to slow down.

Replicant

It was really stupid how
touching Piers would make you stutter and the camera movement cause you to slow down.

The worst part was
the turn/roundabout that happens just as you're about to slide down the pipe
. I couldn't see shit until about 5 seconds before I had to
slide under the pipes
. Who the fuck think that the camera placement was such a good idea? And of all the things they could rip off from Uncharted 3, why rip off the worst part of that game?

Carbonox

Finished Ada's campaign.

The story overall in this game is pretty wank. There's some good ideas there but it's so poorly presented.

However, for those who have finished Ada's campaign, what's the significance behind
the secret ending featuring Jake? I guess it suggests he has a future in the series. Would Ada's final cutscene about a job possibly tie in with this?

I hope Capcom rethink how they want to approach Resident Evil after this game. Yes it's fun and enjoyable but by heck do they need to pick a selection of solid ideas and stick with them, rather than throwing shit at a wall and hoping anything sticks. Oh and obviously pick a fucking competent director. There's still hope for this series yet but I think we won't see Resident Evil 7 until next gen now. Plenty of time for Capcom to get its shit together.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well I finally have my answer regarding the cutscenes. Apparently they are almost entirely realtime (which makes sense as there are no compression artifacts present).

Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hrrz8Wvrs

Someone messed around with the demo version and made changes to the hair and clothing. This obviously wouldn't be possible if the cutscenes weren't realtime.

In that case, I must say that the scenes in this game are among the most impressive I've ever seen in any game to date. The cutscenes are so high quality that I really questioned whether or not they were realtime.

Also, working mirrors...

94e99a07a0793cb7197250b70a9d104e8e0fb9c7.JPG

Man, that looks so damn good to me right there. Would love to have seen a Silent Hill game this generation with a more capable development team behind it as those visuals remind me of Silent Hill 2. :\

I find it kind of annoying that most of the RE games have the star and a sub character that never gets mentioned ever again, like Sheva or Billy or even Ashley.

I want these characters to return in some way. Good job for bringing sherry back though.

Carbonox

I find it kind of annoying that most of the RE games have the star and a sub character that never gets mentioned ever again, like Sheva or Billy or even Ashley.

I want these characters to return in some way. Good job for bringing sherry back though.

Agreed. Though I don't care much for Ashley and Billy's disappearance in the series makes sense given his role as a wanted criminal (albeit reported dead to Rebecca's superiors). However, I hope there's some reference to Sheva in the files in this game. Even something as simple as she became the leader of the African BSAA or some noise due to her work in Kijuju.

PowderedToast

sheva is the best

i mean yeah, she has no personality..and her mouth moves sorta funny, but none of that matters when you have true love (´・ω・`)

Neiteio

Leon Chapter 2 could fit right in in RE4. Same atmosphere, same sort of locales -- simply amazing. Great variety of gameplay, fun puzzles, a fantastic boss with lots of character drama and build-up, and no cheap QTEs (and only like one QTE, for that matter). And it's like two to three hours long. Probably my favorite chapter so far, and I've played two chapters of each campaign.

Man, that looks so damn good to me right there. Would love to have seen a Silent Hill game this generation with a more capable development team behind it as those visuals remind me of Silent Hill 2. :\

heh I thought the same thing. I would like for some of the art designers/art directors on Downpour to be able to work with a more graphically capable engine or whatever. The vision was there, the visuals were not.

so1337

Leon Chapter 2 could fit right in in RE4. Same atmosphere, same sort of locales -- simply amazing. Great variety of gameplay, fun puzzles, a fantastic boss with lots of character drama and build-up, and no cheap QTEs (and only like one QTE, for that matter). And it's like two to three hours long. Probably my favorite chapter so far, and I've played two chapters of each campaign.
Yeah, I played that chapter yesterday. Couldn't agree more. The
crossbow-wielding statues of Mary
specifically seemed like the sort of contraption that Salazar would come up with.

Yeah, I played that chapter yesterday. Couldn't agree more. The
crossbow-wielding statues of Mary
specifically seemed like the sort of contraption that Salazar would come up with.

Say whatever you please.

DIEYOUWORM@??r#@2342IJ*endtransmission*

Esura

Banned
Finished up all the campaigns last night, including the bonus one.

Tried some Agent Hunt. Hate it. Maybe its because I keep having to play Leon chapters so I'm stuck as shitty zombies and drunk dogs. Wanna be a J'avo dangit. :(

Well I finally have my answer regarding the cutscenes. Apparently they are almost entirely realtime (which makes sense as there are no compression artifacts present).

Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hrrz8Wvrs

Someone messed around with the demo version and made changes to the hair and clothing. This obviously wouldn't be possible if the cutscenes weren't realtime.

In that case, I must say that the scenes in this game are among the most impressive I've ever seen in any game to date. The cutscenes are so high quality that I really questioned whether or not they were realtime.

Also, working mirrors...

http://i.picpar.com/94e99a07a0793cb7197250b70a9d104e8e0fb9c7.JPG[img]

Man, that looks so damn good to me right there. Would love to have seen a Silent Hill game this generation with a more capable development team behind it as those visuals remind me of Silent Hill 2. :\[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the visuals are definitely the sum of their parts in this one, but man, they are fantastic.
Visually the game has REALLY grown on me and I'm only on Ch.2 Chris.

Z3M0G

Are you serious? The back of the box says nothing about needing this space... what if you didn't have it available?

Edit: never mind, saw the following comments.

Learn the joy of using the knife!

Also, if you go dudebro shooting you get out of ammo FAST. spend one mag trying to give cover fire for your downed partner and you're out half of your ammo.

PS: played it on Pro first time.

Really enjoying the versatility this game offers. I'm in the middle of soloing Leons campaign and my coop bro jumped on last night, instead of going through that awkward moment of having to either redo a campaign with him or have him jump into the middle of my story, we decided to just jump into Chris's campaign.

I decided to go with Piers and I feel like a beast with this guy. The Antimaterial Rifle quickshot is just...fuck. Amazing. You haven't lived until you get swarmed by a group of enemies, slide in between them and 180 turn onto your back and put a couple of slugs in their back, then deftly roll across the floor to your right to avoid a doward arm slash from an enemy before jumping to your feet and using a close range bolt action shot right through his chest.

Feels good man.

I almost feel as if RE5 and RE6 were completely oppsite minded games, which struggled because of completely different reasons. RE5's slower paced, lumbering, very hand holding boss fights, boring A.I and enemies that presented little challenge really made for a lackluster experience, but the game was very well polished. RE6 on the other hand is a lot faster paced, better combat mechanics, more capable enemies, but with a lack of explanation as to how the systems work, a lack of polish, etc.

For all of it's issues I'm much preferring the latter.

I hope the game sells well and we see a more polished version of the systems we have in place, with perhaps a more cohesive overall vision.

GeekyDad

This is not a criticism but an actual question: Did they not add a Raid Mode? Really enjoyed that in Revelations. Not that I won't play the hell out of Mercs when I get this game.

def sim

I had zero issues with the chopper in Chris' Chapter 3 because I had the Grenade launcher.

The issue isn't that they're difficult. It's, yet again, another boss fight that overstays its welcome and doesn't present a challenge. It's a good conversation break in co-op if you want to look at it in a positive light.

Anyway, shooting at it with a grenade launcher provides no feedback other than gradually catching on fire. No different from conventional bullets; how unsatisfying.

Ryuuga

Banned
Double exertion door push all the things!

I've gotten the basic combat down to a science, but it's not making it any more fun then when I started. I feel like I've been lied to, but I'm going to try out coop with a friend of mine later on. Maybe his curses due to the initial grasp of the game mechanics will provide some form of entertainment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Double exertion door push all the things!

I've gotten the basic combat down to a science, but it's not making it any more fun then when I started. I feel like I've been lied to, but I'm going to try out coop with a friend of mine later on. Maybe his curses due to the initial grasp of the game mechanics will provide some form of entertainment.
What is it that you look for in a single player shooter, out of curiosity?

I'm trying to understand why it is that people find this game to be a chore.

They're two different pictures though. They're different colors. If you go to the mercanaries character select screen and press right on a character, you'll see there alt costume. If you have the re colored costumes, then you can press right again.

The outfits you get for getting an A-Rank or higher as a character and the costume you get off RE.NET with RE Points are both the same basic costume (they even have the same load-out), but they have different colors. For Ada,
the outfit you unlock for getting an A-Rank or better with her is blue while the one you buy off of RE.NET is gold.

So I tried tying my PSN account on RE.NET site for those sweet alternate costumes. "The Playstation store is not available in your region". My main account is not from the US.

I just realized I will never get what RE.NET offers If I play the game on my main PSN account.

UIyy9.jpg

If you have a coop partner can you both pick up guns? Or is it a race to who gets it first?

Items, weapons and enemy drops are independent. You will never see what enemies drop for your partner. Whatever you see lying on the ground/boxes/herbs take them, it wont affect your partner.

Completed Chris campaing!

Gotta love how over the top and cheesy Chris campaign is. I find it the whole campaign more consistent than Leon's one. But the plot still dosn't make much sense... (Plot spoilers):
I hope they explain sometime how Ada clone managed to get the financial backup, the human resources and all while leading by her own Neo-Umbrella, the game make it like she is doing it all alone, which is stupid

Some general thoughts:

- Sniper enemies in this game are fucking annoying with their perfect aiming. I think I prefer Leon set of enemies just for that reason.

- Less QTE's than Leon scenario, that's a plus.

- I find very stupid the inventory limit, once you have ammo for all your weapons, you're unable to get herbs.

- Some very frustrating deaths. Like recovering from death and the getting grabbed by some random enemy before you could even use a a pill.

- Actually I don't feel the armed enemies at all. I think the whole combat has more sense with the close combat enemies...

I think I give Chris a 7.5 while lowering Leon to 6. The more I think about Leon's campaing the less satifying I found it.

Top Bottom