• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Um... how freaking long do I have to wait for the merc maps and extra modes?

Three maps is not enough.

Nemesis_

Um... how freaking long do I have to wait for the merc maps and extra modes?

Three maps is not enough.

But I have six.
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Just did a round of Catacombs with Tricky. Shit got intense! So many Bloodshots, Lepotitsa and Whoppers everywhere! ;_;

Nemesis_

do not want

do not want catacombs

Mercs really has some kind of magic about it in RE6. I don't know what it is, things are just so fast paced.

Me and Tricky were holding off enemies, backs to each other. Then we both hear that FUCKING LEPOTITSA NOISE.

gbvuebdnibncednscinruidvsncipwandsc

Evolved1

Agent Hunt: hey capcom I do not want to join games against cheesy douches playing on amateur with infinite ammo just running around farming easy kills to boost their meaningless online rank.

So uh some basic server setting would be nice.

I actually can't even get into a game for the last two hours... not mercs or agent hunt. Just server time outs over and over. :(

Afrocious

Post some PSN names and I'll add folks. I'd much rather have a list of people playing this game than relying on randoms who may be good, but then get booted and never seen again.

Seriously, I was on a 100+ combo with a random. He got kicked and he didn't show up in my Recent Players list. I was pissed.

Nemesis_

Yeah, true :(

One thing I absolutely love about Agent Hunt is the way you go through the full cycle with the enemies.

I was playing as a knife wielding J'Avo, who got shot a bit and mutated into the stretchy arm thing. Then I got killed but entered Chrysalis and became a brand new monster!

So cool!

Puddles

Banned
I just popped in to ask if the game was good. I'm seeing a lot of positive impressions on this page.

So the rumors of RE6 being awful were overstated?

Afrocious

I just popped in to ask if the game was good. I'm seeing a lot of positive impressions on this page.

Very much so.

IMO the bad reviews came from folks not knowing how to play the game out the box considering there was no instruction booklet.

Nemesis_

I think reviewers were trying to be "clever" and send a message with their reviews.

The end result is that they sent a message but not the one they wanted to.

LOL.

More agent hunt nonsense. Just was playing the
Cathedral hold off
in Leon II.

Playing as Bloodshot, got down one of the players and the other ran in to save him. I pounced on the guy trying to save the other, and kept him busy. Then the other guy in the game finished off Helena with a wooden stick LOL.

So much easy fun :p

Evolved1

I think reviewers were trying to be "clever" and send a message with their reviews.

The end result is that they sent a message but not the one they wanted to.

LOL.

More agent hunt nonsense. Just was playing the
Cathedral hold off
in Leon II.

Playing as Bloodshot, got down one of the players and the other ran in to save him. I pounced on the guy trying to save the other, and kept him busy. Then the other guy in the game finished off Helena with a wooden stick LOL.

So much easy fun :p

Must be nice, being able to play... :/

Puddles

Banned
That is because RE4 didn't kill shit.

Thank you.

RE4 changed the gameplay, but kept most of the atmosphere. RE5 took the gameplay changes further and fucked up the atmosphere.

Honestly, if RE6 at least has some creepy moments and doesn't feature Legend of the Hidden Temple as one of its major setpieces, I'll be cool. By RE Zero, I was also thinking that the old formula was getting stale, and I don't see the need to go back to it.

Noi

YMMV. Some people go into it and get some decent fun out of it. Others come back with tales of how RE6 destroyed their hopes and dreams. Generally, everyone who plays it on co-op tends to enjoy it more than those who go solo.

Grisby

I'm almost done with the game. I can see where the 6's and stuff might come from but it's not a 2 or anything. Still some fun to be had.

Nemesis_

Must be nice, being able to play... :/

I don't know why this is such an issue for people (edit: I don't know why this is APPEARING for some and not others). I am surprised to find anyone was having troubles as I am still writing my review and am praising the quality of the online (drop in and drop out is perfect for this kind of game) as well as the ability to seamlessly drop in to someone elses campaign, either as a story intersection or a creature.

Guess I can only write on my own experiences though right? :p

Evolved1

I don't know why this is such an issue for people (edit: I don't know why this is APPEARING for some and not others). I am surprised to find anyone was having troubles as I am still writing my review and am praising the quality of the online (drop in and drop out is perfect for this kind of game) as well as the ability to seamlessly drop in to someone elses campaign, either as a story intersection or a creature.

Guess I can only write on my own experiences though right? :p

I'm on PS3. Maybe the server issues are only for us? RE.net people are all complaining, so it's not isolated.

Noi

It's weird, I have the occasional server issue, but I'm not completely able to log in and play online like you guys seem to be. It's only the occasional disconnect every couple of hours.

Evolved1

It's weird, I have the occasional server issue, but I'm not completely able to log in and play online like you guys seem to be. It's only the occasional disconnect every couple of hours.

I haven't been able to get into a game in over four hours... I keep trying and it's constant connection errors. Server always times out.

edit: btw same for all the guys on my friends list. We can't play at all online. Something is busted.

Evolved1

The weapon upgrade system in RE5 was much better IMO. I also miss searching for treasure :(. I'm sure the game will grow on me but right now I'm disappointed.

There is still treasure. It's hidden all over (not talking about skill point drops, but actual chest/brief cases that hold skill point treasure) and there are far more emblems to search for...

Noi

I haven't been able to get into a game in over four hours... I keep trying and it's constant connection errors. Server always times out.

edit: btw same for all the guys on my friends list. We can't play at all online. Something is busted.

WOW, you're right. It got worse since yesterday since you can't even load the session list for campaign games reliably, something is definitely busted.

Fake edit: Finally got through and there's only 3 available games to join online. I highly doubt that would be the case 6 days since the game came out at noon.

There are things in this game that are awful, a lot of them. There are also things that are great, though. It's not all bad, the very negative reviews seem a bit over the top.

nOoblet16

I donno if I'm right but is it true (I thin kit is) that if I play as one character then decide to play the second character for a different chapter, I'll be locked out of the new weapons received during the playthrough. Don't particulary appreciate that as I started playing as Helena/Chris/Jake and then wanted to switch to Leon/Piers/Sherry for some chapters.

Noi

I donno if I'm right but is it true (I thin kit is) that if I play as one character then decide to play the second character for a different chapter, I'll be locked out of the new weapons received during the playthrough. Don't particulary appreciate that as I started playing as Helena/Chris/Jake and then wanted to switch to Leon/Piers/Sherry for some chapters.

That's correct. They're technically different characters, so unless you play as them from the start, they'll only have the starting weapons on them or any weapons you did get via chapter select. The drawbacks of not having RE5's inventory system, I guess.

Thank you.

RE4 changed the gameplay, but kept most of the atmosphere. RE5 took the gameplay changes further and fucked up the atmosphere.

Honestly, if RE6 at least has some creepy moments and doesn't feature Legend of the Hidden Temple as one of its major setpieces, I'll be cool. By RE Zero, I was also thinking that the old formula was getting stale, and I don't see the need to go back to it.
I wouldn't mind smaller $30 digital affairs that more closely resembled early RE and Revelaitons. It'd be a nice compromise and it'd certainly do wonders for Capcom's reputation and pockets if done right. It's sorta like Nintendo with their 2D and 3D Marios. They each cater to a separate audience so Mario fans are pretty much content. Capcom should diversify their offerings instead of trying to patch together a large net that no one is really fulfilled by.

Trigger

The whole skill system seems superfluous in hindsight. I'm in
Ada's
last chapter now, and I've only upgraded and used four skills at max. It also feels weird from a story stand point.

Is it not the case that people were starting to complain about the sameness of RE games once Code: Veronica was released? Maybe before that?

Wasn't RE4 was a response to a perceived shift in what people wanted, not the catalyst? Then it turned out to be amazing, which of course also increases the chances of future games following the same formula. Even if RE4 had never existed, look at the gaming landscape today. Do you think a big company like Capcom who makes big budget games would still be making atmospheric horror games like the old REs? Not a chance.

Blaming RE4 specifically is an overly simplistic model of the events that have led RE to where it is now.

I don't know. Back when RE was RE I wasn't really on internet forums keeping up with what people were "asking for." I do agree with most of what you're saying, I'm simply pointing out that RE4 set the basis for what was to come-- more action, less horror, the carried over gameplay style with new additions, etc.

I'm not saying it's the right thing, nor am I saying that RE4 is responsible for any of the bad elements of 5 and 6, but that it most certainly laid the foundation. I thought RE4 was really stupid, I hated the story and not even in an entertaining kind of way, I didn't think it was all that atmospheric beyond the village, and so on. A very well designed game, but IMO, it definitely changed the series for better or worse. To me, all it really did that was better than its predecessors were the controls.

5 and 6 are simply taking what 4 started and taking it even further. I don't agree with some choices being made, but 5 and 6 wouldn't be what they are without 4 coming along and changing the pedigree. The positive response to 4 told Capcom that people were totally fine with the huge departure. I don't really see 5 and 6 to be all that different than 4 apart from 4 being more innovative. If anything I think RE5 is the one out of the "new three" that feels less of a chore to get through.

But eh, after being disappointed with 4, 5, and 6 as Resident Evil games, for me it's kind of like "whatever" at this point.

Nemesis_

Ada's
last chapter now, and I've only upgraded and used four skills at max. It also feels weird from a story stand point.

What difficulty are you playing on? These skills become PARAMOUNT to SUCCESS especially in later difficulties (No Hope Left mode especially, apparently).

Agent Hunt: hey capcom I do not want to join games against cheesy douches playing on amateur with infinite ammo just running around farming easy kills to boost their meaningless online rank.

So uh some basic server setting would be nice.

I actually can't even get into a game for the last two hours... not mercs or agent hunt. Just server time outs over and over. :(

Capcom, make damage on hunters veteranlike, regardless of difficulty. Make it incompatible with infinite ammo. Thank me later.

The problem with amateur is that an attack does not even drain a square, so they recharge life.

haikira

Speaking of the skills in the campaign, what would you guys recommend. I'm just sitting on a really boring build of lvl2 melee, lvl 2 weapon damage and lvl 2 defence. Still have the final 2 chapters left, for each of the 3 main campaigns.

Also thought i'd double check. Is the only way to get the preorder mercs maps at the minute, to ebay a code?

Trigger

Speaking of the skills in the campaign, what would you guys recommend. I'm just sitting on a really boring build of lvl2 melee, lvl 2 weapon damage and lvl 2 defence. Still have the final 2 chapters left, for each of the 3 main campaigns.

Also thought i'd double check. Is the only way to get the preorder mercs maps at the minute, to ebay a code?

I used melee, field medic, lock on, and firearms interchangeably. The others are too specific or too expensive without doing a merc mode run beforehand IMO. Melee is pretty important in any situation.

What difficulty are you playing on? These skills become PARAMOUNT to SUCCESS especially in later difficulties (No Hope Left mode especially, apparently).

Just veteran so far. I might try a professional run just for kicks.

Evolved1

For me, because I'm melee focused, I had to buff my combat gauge. I paid into it twice, and now my gauge is pretty silly. Especially after playing so much mercs were I'm having to constantly manage it... melee and quick-shots can get you out of trouble. So I buffed the gauge and my melee, the third one I've been experimenting. It depends on the situation. Break Free for Leon's beginning chapters, and then when Defensex2.

I never buffed weapons.

I want to buy the one that takes away your laser. :)

Noi

Btw, I was going to look and see how much I could hawk my catacombs code for on ebay since I'm not too into mercenaries, but I decided I'd just sell it for a tenner to whoever's interested here. PS3 code, for those interested.

Ada's

It really is. I get what they were going for, but it's kinda odd that you have to sacrifice skill slots for stuff like Field Medic and Lone Wolf, as well as just gimp the overall upgrades you can "carry" compared to the individual upgrades in RE4/5. There's definitely a few skill choices that should either be part of the natural progression or AI settings rather than skills. I pretty much always use Firearm Lv3/Melee Lv3/J'avo or Zombie Killer Lv2 for the added feedback it gives to my shots and extra melee damage since I'm a melee hound.

Evolved1

One thing that kinda bugs me about the gameplay in RE6 (and I have almost zero complaints) is that you cannot center the camera during a reload.

This is annoying. And I can't really see any good reason for it other than maybe it was an oversight.

And I really like the cover system, I think it works fine and just as good as most games that do it... but when you get into cover, the way the character will face depends on handedness and not how you're oriented near cover. So sometimes you'll have the wall on your right shoulder, and assume the character would be facing that direction when you go into cover, but they will actually face the opposite way if the gun is in the wrong hand. You have to flip them every time.

It's not a huge deal, but just one of those things you notice after a while... adds a little unintuitive clunk where there needn't be. Otherwise, pretty solid system imo.

Nemesis_

One thing that kinda bugs me about the gameplay in RE6 (and I have almost zero complaints) is that you cannot center the camera during a reload.

This is annoying. And I can't really see any good reason for it other than maybe it was an oversight.

And I really like the cover system, I think it works fine and just as good as most games that do it... but when you get into cover, the way the character is facing depends on handedness and not how you're oriented near cover. So sometimes you'll have the wall on your right shoulder, and assume the character would be facing that direction when you go into cover, but they will actually face the opposite way if the gun is in the wrong hand. You have to flip them every time.

It's not a huge deal, but just one of those things you notice after a while... adds a little unintuitive clunk where there needn't be. Otherwise, pretty solid system imo.

I am *fairly* certain that you are able to actually change this setting in options, if i understand what you've typed correctly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
the writing in this game, jesus. the scene in chris 5 with
HI YEAH I KILLED YOUR DAD SHOOT ME PLS

hilarious

Grisby

Ha ha ha. Joined a game in Agent Hunt mode and ended up at Leon's Chapter 2.

The m'fer never
opened that church door
. I felt so evil.

Evolved1

I am *fairly* certain that you are able to actually change this setting in options, if i understand what you've typed correctly.

Yes and no... I don't like the idea of certain characters being ambidextrous with two-handed weapons. So I changed it in options to always revert to dominant hand when leaving cover. But this doesn't really affect how you enter cover, afaik.

Whatever hand the weapon is in will determine which direction you face when entering cover... and I think that's kinda dumb. I think the game should recognize where your character is facing, how they're oriented, and use that to determine which direction they will face going into cover.

Not a big deal, either way. But I wonder if more people who have less problems initially... if it were handled a differently than it is.

Top Bottom