• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Does anything fun or interesting happen in the for some reason spoiler tagged super secret fourth campaign that Nobody™ knows about? If not, I can't really justify keeping the game and I can't keep supporting this stuff despite initially liking some of it. It's just really stupid, repetitive, and not RE, just like 4 and 5. I think by this point I have to stop pretending like it's good and accept that it isn't what I want out of the franchise. Not even remotely.

I hate to be that guy and I'm usually super positive about, well, everything, but I think RE6 is finally the straw that broke the camel's back. It was building up with the introduction of 4, but now I'm finally just over it and refuse to make excuses anymore.

It's painful, but so is this game.

Grisby

I saw someone online in Mercs that had Helena's outfit from the second half of Leon's campaign. Is that a RE.net unlock? Thought each person only had one extra costume.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I saw someone online in Mercs that had Helena's outfit from the second half of Leon's campaign. Is that a RE.net unlock? Thought each person only had one extra costume.

Wait, really? I don't see it on RE.net and haven't seen mention of it anywhere online either.

Interesting.

I still don't understand what the RE.net points are for?? Can someone give me a quick rundown?

The most significant thing is probably the alt costumes... everything else is quirky community stuff.

Spike6663

Wait, really? I don't see it on RE.net and haven't seen mention of it anywhere online either.

Interesting.

The most significant thing is probably the alt costumes... everything else is quirky community stuff.

How do I use the points? The site's so damn slow I cba to work it out.

Trigger

Does anything fun or interesting happen in the for some reason spoiler tagged super secret fourth campaign that Nobody™ knows about? If not, I can't really justify keeping the game and I can't keep supporting this stuff despite initially liking some of it. It's just really stupid, repetitive, and not RE, just like 4 and 5. I think by this point I have to stop pretending like it's good and accept that it isn't what I want out of the franchise. Not even remotely.

I hate to be that guy and I'm usually super positive about, well, everything, but I think RE6 is finally the straw that broke the camel's back. It was building up with the introduction of 4, but now I'm finally just over it and refuse to make excuses anymore.

It's painful, but so is this game.

It ties the story up nicely, but some sections can be a pain. It's appeal is mostly the story and character. I would have made
Ada's
campaign a main story campaign and made Jake/Sherry's campaign the secret one.

Noi

So Agent Hunters, what are your favorite (and least favorite) chapters to play on? Of the ones I've played:

Favorites -
Leon Chapter 2 - Cathedral
I love this part because it's pretty damn long and gives you lots of chances to pick off the agents both individually and in a group. I love playing as the zombie dogs in the first part and Shriekers in the second, but spawning as a bloodshot in the final segment outside the cathedral is always fun.

Any Chapter involving Rasklapanje
Pretty much one of the most fun enemies to play as. Pretty clever method of transportation between rooms too.

Any Jake Chapter -
I barely get to play these, but these chapters tend to be fantastic for agent hunt. Playing as Mesets and Strelaps is pretty fun, and the Machete J'avo aren't as completely incompetent as the knife J'avo from Chris chapter 4.

Least favorites -
Chris Chapter 4 -
Helicarrier
I generally dislike playing this part because of a triple whammy combination of the default knife J'avo being ungodly slow outside of one attack, most of the map being long hallways give Chris and Piers ample room to just spray and pray, and those two are probably the most well-equipped of all the characters to play as. Getting smacked with explosive grenades as I'm coming out of Chrysalid state as a Napad ain't fun, yo. That and the random nature of the regular J'avo mutations can lead to some frustration. Morph into a Ruka-Srp? Dandy, I've got a shield arm now. Morph into a Glava-Smech? May as well suicide and spawn again.

Leon Chapter 1 - Gun shop
It's partially due to how many times I've had to play it, but I generally don't like this one either. There's too many NPCs that can shoot and interrupt what you're doing, it's easy to lose your intended target due to how many people are in the room at once, and outside of spawning the occasional Bloodshot, you typically only get to spawn as the slow-moving zombies. Bleh.

I'd be interested to hear what RE 'is'. Please supply some sort of specific criteria, rather than just resorting to the usual handy retort of "REmake".

Creepy locales, puzzle solving, attention to atmosphere, being lost in large-ish environments, etc.? It has a certain overall feel to it. Anyone that has been with the series since 1995 knows this and knows it well.

Not bad guys with guns, shitty motorcycle chases with bad controls, shitty QTE's, shitty humvee chases with bad controls, terrible scripted events, a super uninteresting and un-fun story that goes nowhere, etc. So pretty much every single element of RE6.

I've been with the franchise since day one. I know what it is. I know what made the franchise memorable. It used to have an identity. It used to be atmospheric. It used to have a certain level of charm. It used to be a memorable experience. Like I said, anyone who has played all the games-- this isn't rocket science to them. These games used to have their own sort of fingerprint.

I think it's amusing that I'm usually on here defending stuff, but the one time where I finally side with the "haters" I suddenly apparently don't understand what Resident Evil is or why it used to be great. I'll watch what I say to the "haters" from now on.

Except with Silent Hill, which I still think is at least honest to the franchise.

edit: and I think the remake is great, but why would I use that one solely in defense or discussion as to why I don't like RE6? Remake isn't even my favorite.

The outfit depends on the stage. If you play as any character in Urban Chaos they will all have the outfits they wore China. If you play at Steel Beast the characters will wear their europe outfit or Tall Oaks outfit. etc.

Grisby

The outfit depends on the stage. If you play as as any character in Urban Chaos they will all have the outfits they wore China. If you play at Steel Beast the characters will wear their europe outfit or Tall Oaks outfit.
Ohhhhhh. That makes sense. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that.

Neff

Creepy locales, puzzle solving, attention to atmosphere, being lost in large-ish environments, etc.? It has a certain overall feel to it. Anyone that has been with the series since 1995 knows this and knows it well.

Not bad guys with guns, shitty motorcycle chases with bad controls, shitty QTE's, shitty humvee chases with bad controls, terrible scripted events, a super uninteresting and un-fun story that goes nowhere, etc. So pretty much every single element of RE6.

See this is an example of lambasting a game not for failing to do things you like, because RE6 has everything you detail in your first paragraph (save for exploring large environments, although you can get lost if you turn the waypoint marker off), but for including stuff you don't like (all of which I might add are strictly subjective). You can say that the franchise has lost its PS1 blueprint, but it's still RE.

See this is an example of lambasting a game not for failing to do things you like, because RE6 has everything you detail in your first paragraph (save for exploring large environments, although you can get lost if you turn the waypoint marker off), but including other stuff you don't like (all of which I might add are strictly subjective). You can say that the franchise has lost its PS1 blueprint, but it's still RE.

I'm only speaking for myself here. It doesn't give me one iota of an RE feel. It doesn't leave me with any similar impressions. I finished the game sans the secret "campaign" and nothing about it is sticking with me aside from how dumb and obnoxious it was.

If it does RE things for you, okay, I mean I'm not you so I can't really tell you that you're wrong-- only that I envy you. Please note I'm not calling anyone out here. I don't like to do that. I disagree to the point of sickness with anyone who thinks this is anything remotely like an RE game, but I'm not being that person that hounds someone about the disagreement.

Evolved1

The outfit depends on the stage. If you play as any character in Urban Chaos they will all have the outfits they wore China. If you play at Steel Beast the characters will wear their europe outfit or Tall Oaks outfit. etc.

I never noticed this, thanks... lol

Nori Chan

Interesting.

Lol no, each person gets the default costume depending on their location. Helena gets the shorts on urban chaos and gets the pants outfit in steal beast.

edit: beaten lol

Evolved1

Lol no, each person gets the default costume depending on their location. Helena gets the shorts on urban chaos and gets the pants outfit in steal beast.

edit: beaten lol

Wrong. Helena is always stripper Helena... always. haha

Neff

I'm only speaking for myself here. It doesn't give me one iota of an RE feel. It doesn't leave me with any similar impressions. I finished the game sans the secret "campaign" and nothing about it is sticking with me aside from how dumb and obnoxious it was.

If it does RE things for you, okay, I mean I'm not you so I can't really tell you that you're wrong-- only that I envy you. Please note I'm not calling anyone out here. I don't like to do that. I disagree to the point of sickness with anyone who thinks this is anything remotely like an RE game, but I'm not being that person that hounds someone about the disagreement.

The last campaign may pleasantly surprise you. It has by far the biggest emphasis on puzzles and horror in the game.

derFeef

So I finally played the demo (I am no RE fan, mind you.)
Really enjoyed Leons part, was fun.
Chris part was boring, shooting is not the games strength.
Jake seems interesting, not that different to Leon.

I might pick this up when it comes to the PC. The framerate was really bad on the 360 - is it just the demo?

Ada's mission may pleasantly surprise you. It has by far the biggest emphasis on puzzles and horror in the game.

That's interesting to hear. I'll check it out I guess-- certainly wouldn't hurt, I mean I've put up with everything else. Might as well see it all through. :p

Alfredo

I have a question about the last boss fight for Jake:
In co-op, what does Sherry do while Jake is beating on Big Monster Dude with his fists?

Evolved1

How do I use the points? The site's so damn slow I cba to work it out.

When you sign in... in the navigation panel under your avatar, you will see "unlockable items". Click that. Then you can spend RE points on whatever you fancy: alt costumes, wallpapers, diorama figures, etc.

The costumes are expensive. 60,000. But you should have enough to buy one at the start... I think they give 40,000 for signing up? Idk, but that's how you buys stuff.

lol. this game sucks so bad.

It's actually pretty fantastic.

Trigger

I have a question about the last boss fight for Jake:
In co-op, what does Sherry do while Jake is beating on Big Monster Dude with his fists?

She can send carts to knock the Ustanak around to help Jake. I played the segment solo as Sherry and it was pretty uneventful.

Neff

RE6 is the Cadbury's Roses or Quality Street of games. Sure, there are going to be those crappy coconut ones that nobody likes, but everything else is delicious.

You're shit out of luck if you only like coconut, though.

Evolved1

Pieces of it are, but on the whole, it's a mess. I don't think "fantastic" should be used within 10 feet of this game.

Well you're certainly free to feel that way... I'm trying to understand where the negativity is coming from but having played through the game, not seeing it. To me most of it comes off as just really uneven, jaded criticism.

But people like different things.... sometimes awful things... like Mass Effect, Sleeping Dogs, Dragon Age.... so I guess one guy's turd is another guy's treasure.

Lucentto

Banned
Well you're certainly free to feel that way... I'm trying to understand where the negativity is coming from but having played through the game, not seeing it. To me most of it comes off as just really uneven, jaded criticism.

But people like different things.... sometimes awful things... like Mass Effect, Sleeping Dogs, Dragon Age.... so I guess one guy's turd is another guy's treasure.

I am having trouble understanding why you can't see where the negativity is coming from. As if the shitty scripted events and QTEs would give you some sort of a clue.

ezekial45

Banned
I just cleared through every campaign. As a whole, I thought the game is pretty disappointing. It's just trying so hard to ape the movies and function like the Uncharted series or any other popular western action/adventure game. The game has no atmosphere, really. This series has truly lost it's way. It's a shame, there were some great moments in the game, but you have to go through a myriad of QTEs and set pieces to find them. Though the one thing that they knocked out of the park was the monster designs. I'd say this game has the best monster designs of the series.

Also, how fucked up is it that there's only 3 mercenaries maps?

Iresecia

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there are port forwards for this game? I never intersect with anyone's game successfully. I'm on the PS3 version if that matters.

Evolved1

I am having trouble understanding why you can't see where the negativity is coming from. As if the shitty scripted events and QTEs would give you some sort of a clue.

Fine, we can do this if you'd like.

To begin, what games are better? To establish a baseline for comparison. What are a couple games that are better?

Noi

Yeah, I like the game and even I know where the criticism is coming from. The attention to detail isn't quite as there as it was in previous games, and while the basic gameplay is fun, the game does the bare minimum to teach the player and some of the level design is pretty counter-intuitive.

As an example, there's the three trains in Leon Chapter one. The first two come from the front, and have a button prompt to automatically move out of the way of it. The third one comes from behind, and has no prompt to it, you simply have to not be in the side it's coming from. But a lot of people die to it because, as a result of the first two trains, they expect a prompt to show up so they can dodge it... but nothing comes.

I certainly don't think it's terrible, since I can at the very least get through the game without it any game breaking bugs or hang ups, but there is a bit more to RE6 as it currently is that could have been done much better.

beastmode

Speaking of the skills in the campaign, what would you guys recommend. I'm just sitting on a really boring build of lvl2 melee, lvl 2 weapon damage and lvl 2 defence. Still have the final 2 chapters left, for each of the 3 main campaigns.

Also thought i'd double check. Is the only way to get the preorder mercs maps at the minute, to ebay a code?
my loadouts

Helena: shotgun ammo, last shot, quick reload, no laser/reticule

Jake: extra gauge, magnum ammo, break free easier

Chris: better aiming, less recoil, extra gauge

Risible

RE6 is the Cadbury's Roses or Quality Street of games. Sure, there are going to be those crappy coconut ones that nobody likes, but everything else is delicious.

You're shit out of luck if you only like coconut, though.

Holy shit, perfect analogy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

To begin, what games are better? To establish a baseline for comparison. What are a couple games that are better?

Here's the rub: better at what? This game tries to do like six different gameplay styles. If we're comparing things to Chris' scenario, which is what I just had the misfortune of completing, I'd say the game would be lower tier in the TPS genre. So you could pick quite a few comps.

Risible

I thought if you finished one campaign you could play Agent Hunt...why is it still greyed our for me? Any ideas?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Tons of games are better. I'm not even going to argue that point. It's silly. Instead I'll take the opportunity to point out something specific, and I believe indisputable, that makes parts of RE6 worse than similar parts of another game.

RE6 has a several moments that seem directly inspired by things that happened in Uncharted 2 and 3. Their execution in RE6 is F-grade. Like the kind of thing you'd see in a budget title made by untalented nobodies. Yet they saw fit to put these things in the game, despite the obvious comparisons they invite, and how bad those comparisons make them look. So, this reflects poorly on the team's talent for certain kinds of scenarios, as well as the decision making ablities of the producers/directors.

Here's another. The Heavy Rain style QTE sequences. Heavy Rain did them better. They looked better, they felt more congruous with the actions the character was performing, and perhaps most importantly they fit into the game as a whole. In RE6 they are badly designed, badly communicated, bad looking, and badly integrated into the game.

Lucentto

Banned

No, we are not doing this. Comparing other games is useless, that is not the point here. The point is your inability to where the criticism is coming from. Trying to establish if the game is good or not is a completely different discussion.

Neiteio

Man, Chris Chapter 3 is AWESOME (
optic camoflage Yawn, the buildup to him, the tense chopper fights, the drama with Ada, the "fly swarm" BOW, and yes, the Jeep segment, which is loads of fun once you learn to boost right away
). So is Jake Chapter 3 (
the Mirror's Edge escape/hide and seek segment, exploring the Chinese mansion to find all 16 ID medals and unlock the Bear Commander, the tank, etc
). It's possible these may beat out Leon Chapter 2 for my favorite so far. Now I'm onto the fourth chapter of each campaign. I'm seriously loving this game now. It's like night and day from my first impressions of it. Even the QTEs, which at first seemed so intrusive, are manageable and even fun now that I know how to do them. I also dig how substantial each chapter is, about two hours apiece, allowing for some great buildup to bosses (I.E. foreshadowing with
Deborah, the shark, the snake, etc
), and allowing for numerous NPC moments where appropriate. I think this is already supplanting RE5 in my eyes.

Iresecia

Neo Member

It's not so much what games are better, it's more what's wrong with RE6. I love the game but I can see some of the annoyances people have. QTEs, there are a lot. Yes they were in RE5/RE4 too, but not like this. This goes hand in hand with the cheap deaths people were mad about. If you don't know the button to push for an upcoming QTE you're dead. If you don't know which direction to go in, for example on the fourth campaign where
the sub is sinking and you have to go at a certain speed to avoid the water. If you don't figure out what to do next you die very quickly.

I know some people are pro button mashers, but in RE5 I always hated that part in the final boss fight where you had to pull up on that rock as Sheva. Throwing more of those moments in just makes me tell my co-op partner to do those type of QTEs instead. The only thing I'm happy about is that there are no QTEs in cutscenes. They're nice welcome breaks.

I mean really there are more reasons people don't like RE6 but they don't bother me so much. Sure there are story issues but RE5 had em too. So have other games.

T.O.P

Banned
Can anyone point me out the scripted events? are we talking like Uncharted where every exploration segment is guided or like when Drake has to climb up a plane-train-boat etc.

just a question to figure it out where they are in this game

I just cleared through every campaign. As a whole, I thought the game is pretty disappointing. It's just trying so hard to ape the movies and function like the Uncharted series or any other popular western action/adventure game. The game has no atmosphere, really. This series has truly lost it's way. It's a shame, there were some great moments in the game, but you have to go through a myriad of QTEs and set pieces to find them. Though the one thing that they knocked out of the park was the monster designs. I'd say this game has the best monster designs of the series.

Also, how fucked up is it that there's only 3 mercenaries maps?

guess i'll wait for the "gold" edition with all the dlc

KorrZ

Played through Leon Chapter 2 last night (following Dusk Golem's chronology) and I was honestly having an absolute blast playing it. The atmosphere was there, there was some jump scares, and even a little bit of "puzzle" solving. I've also finally got a good grip on the combat, and it really is a great system once you get all the controls down, you can really do a lot with it.

So far, having played all campaigns up to chapter 2, I really don't see how this game got a score as low as 4.5/10. I'm really enjoying it so far, here's hoping it doesn't all go to shit later.

Neiteio

The mobility options in this game handily outclass its predecessors and allow for some fantastic combat, and the varied enemies really play into this well. I'd also take RE6's gunplay, melee, and especially the enemies over something like Uncharted (a series I love, btw, but not for its combat). Just look at the Mercs video and compare it to how a battle plays in RE6 versus the Uncharted series -- RE6 is just so much more fun with the ducking, weaving, rolling, dodging, sliding, turn-sliding, counters, quick shots, etc. In Uncharted, you spend much of your time behind cover, but in RE6 cover is only to replenish stamina or take out a sniper -- otherwise you should play it like Vanquish, running into the thick of each fight. But of course, it's an apples and oranges sort of thing. Just speaking to perhaps why I find RE6 so oddly addictive. As I've said before, it's the QTEs and moments where the game takes control of the camera that make it uneven, but that's only the first time around when you're not expecting it -- replaying it in co-op or by yourself looking for emblems and farming skill points, it's not an issue, and you soak up the atmosphere and intricacies of each area even more. This game really gels well after awhile. :)

Evolved1

No, we are not doing this. Comparing other games is useless, that is not the point here. The point is your inability to where the criticism is coming from. Trying to establish if the game is good or not is a completely different discussion.

My point is that I think many people are cherry-picking the best elements of the best games and using that as their basis for comparison, and it's not very fair or realistic, to expect any game to meet the standards of some idealized preconception of what the game could/should be. All games have warts. Maybe RE6 should have been 6 hours long with one tight campaign... maybe then it wouldn't be as uneven. Personally, I'm glad it's not. I enjoyed all the content, even when it took a (literal) dip. I get that others might not agree on that. But a lot of the criticism just comes off the wrong way... to me, just seems very jaded and negative for the sake of it.

Also... your post makes no sense. I read it a couple times. It's gibberish.

Trigger

Can anyone point me out the scripted events? are we talking like Uncharted where every exploration segment is guided or like when Drake has to climb up a plane-train-boat etc.

just a question to figure it out where they are in this game

QTEs are the main give away, but the game pretty seamlessly weaves scripted and non-scripted moments together. It's actually one of my main complaints because I waste so much ammo only for a boss to reveal a new form and slip into another segment for some fights.

Top Bottom