• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

AlexBasch

It's insane how much this game is growing on me now. It might be the fact that playing on professional is more fun...but everything is just clicking with me now. It's slowly climbing the ranks to be one of my favourite main RE's!

Not too shabby since the first time I played the demo I though it was utter garbage. Once you work out the insane amount of different mechanics the game blossoms. I love the craziness and the creativity is a miracle after RE5.
That's why I wasn't surprised at all at the angry reviews. You won't like this game the first five, fifteen or thirty minutes you play it for the first time. After a few hours, you just can't stop playing it.

The game has some rough edges of the size of the Rock of Gibraltar, but I totally don't mind if they keep this trend to RE7. If they fix things like the claustrophobic FOV, overload of QTE's and the lack of ammo, I think we're going to see some fun stuff next.

Not gonna dabble on the "it's not RE-Yes it is" debate or story, I'm going strictly with gameplay here.

EDIT: Heck, if they reboot it or something and add Alice to do the crazy shit like the movies (except the psychic powers bullshit) I wouldn't mind that much.

sherry2d.png

What the hell is that?

Like everyone has been saying, it's crazy the amount of opinions on this game. Some love certain campaigne's, some love certain chapters and some live certain bosses. While others will feel quite the opposite. Put me in the confused camp. I'm just as confused. Not like RE5 where we all knew it was a giant step back from 4.

Sojgat

It's insane how much this game is growing on me now. It might be the fact that playing on professional is more fun...but everything is just clicking with me now. It's slowly climbing the ranks to be one of my favourite main RE's!

Not too shabby since the first time I played the demo I though it was utter garbage. Once you work out the insane amount of different mechanics the game blossoms. I love the craziness and the creativity is a miracle after RE5.

That's why I wasn't surprised at all at the angry reviews. You won't like this game the first five, fifteen or thirty minutes you play it for the first time. After a few hours, you just can't stop playing it.

The game has some rough edges of the size of the Rock of Gibraltar, but I totally don't mind if they keep this trend to RE7. If they fix things like the claustrophobic FOV, overload of QTE's and the lack of ammo, I think we're going to see some fun stuff next.

Not gonna dabble on the "it's not RE-Yes it is" debate or story, I'm going strictly with gameplay here.

EDIT: Heck, if they reboot it or something and add Alice to do the crazy shit like the movies I wouldn't mind that much.

I agree with this too. I thought RE5 was better originally, but now I'm addicted to RE6 and loving it. It took me a while to get into it as well, it doesn't stop you from trying to play it like RE4 & 5 and I think that's where people are getting frustrated.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just realized how impacting this games mechanics are. I was playing Alone in the Dark Inferno (by no means a steller game, but had been meaning to try it for a while and it was cheap) and I keep having urges to start sliding around or being disappointed how little depth the combat has.

Mr. Fix

I just realized how impacting this games mechanics are. I was playing Alone in the Dark Inferno (by no means a steller game, but had been meaning to try it for a while and it was cheap) and I keep having urges to start sliding around or being disappointed how little depth the combat has.

Playing the game does feel good. I was fighting off
Ustanak
with Leon, just bobbing and weaving. Rolls, slides, all feel neat.

All I want though Is RE4 with changing weapons and healing on the fly as well as a melee system. Screw the online coop stuff. I don't care to even walk and shoot. It's all about the atmosphere, bosses and enemy placement....yea currency, inventory, treasure system, yellow herb. Lol RE4 really was ahead of its time and possibly killed its own series.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Only played a chapter of Leon and one of Chris. Enjoyed Leon's a lot more. Jaavo are lame and cover mechanics are not good for the type of full on action they seem to want to make you play in that campaign. Hopefully it does get better like some of you have been saying.

Sojgat

Only played a chapter of Leon and one of Chris. Enjoyed Leon's a lot more. Jaavo are lame and cover mechanics are not good for the type of full on action they seem to want to make you play in that campaign. Hopefully it does get better like some of you have been saying.

It's all highly dependent on how you play it, even Chris's chapter 2, which seems the most reliant on cover shooting, feels amazing when you use all the options. On the first playthrough though it's hard to know about them, because the game doesn't communicate what it wants well, so it ends up feeling like a big slog.

Teknoman

Just finished Leon's scenario professional, and my co-op partner disconnected during the end cutscene >_<. I've heard a few people say Leon got the short end of the stick now, and they might be right. Havent played the rest, and I will be moving to Chris after this, but it seems like his entire scenario was just based on proving he was innocent, with the C-virus cure/vaccine just being a slight second priority. Granted
Simmon's human transformer style mutations were kinda cool, I was expecting each character to have to visit each area at some point, but I guess its just two areas for each?
. Going outside chrono order, so I guess i'll just have to keep the events fresh in my mind. But i'm really not seeing what
Simmons
was trying to do exactly. And that he was
in love with Ada?
Where did that come from all of a sudden, and what happened to the clone?

And Leon had all of what,
three
bosses? I guess i'm just not used to the game being this split up...wanted a few more boss fights in Leon's.

Dantis

Quick question: Do any characters from the previous games show up in this besides Leon, Ada, Chris and Sherry? I was really hoping they'd bring back everyone and wrap it all up considering the scale of the game but it's looking like that hasn't happened at all.

Teknoman

Quick question: Do any characters from the previous games show up in this besides Leon, Ada, Chris and Sherry? I was really hoping they'd bring back everyone and wrap it all up considering the scale of the game but it's looking like that hasn't happened at all.

So far, unless something happens in Ada's, nope. Then again, there really isnt anyone else that can return aside from Rebecca, Barry, Sheva, Josh(both relatively new), and Jill.

EDIT: Oh yeah and Claire.

Claire
is mentioned alot.
but thats about it.

Tain

Finished Professional at 27 hours, and we both wanted to hop into Mercenaries immediately. I've had a lot of fun with this game.

Dantis

So far, unless something happens in Ada's, nope. Then again, there really isnt anyone else that can return aside from Rebecca, Barry, Sheva, Josh(both relatively new), and Jill.

EDIT: Oh yeah and Claire.

Billy and Ashley too.

They really had a chance to bring everyone back in this game, but NOPE.

Nemesis_

I guess you're right, but at the same time you don't want EVERYONE BEING CONNECTED SOMEHOW.

I think that's what is most realistic about Claire's storyline.

Teknoman

Billy and Ashley too.

lol I didnt know if Billy died or not so didnt post (still going through RE0, or planning to restart and go through).

I guess you're right, but at the same time you don't want EVERYONE BEING CONNECTED SOMEHOW.

Have a point there. But seeing Claire and Leon together one more time (aside from Degeneration) would have been nice.

Anyone watch Invisible Walls? Shane was taking Mike & Marcus to school. lol

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/7y9qou/invisible-walls-episode-227--resident-evil-rumble

Starts at 32:30

Shane comes off as someone desperately trying to defend the game and his experience rather than actually discussing the game. Some of the stuff he was saying was just flat out wrong concerning the camera in RE6 vs. RE5, and how the games play exactly the same. He can't seem to accept the fact that others didn't enjoy the experience as much as he did. He also keeps using the "30 hour game" thing as an excuse for every single issue the other guys were bringing up.

Billy and Ashley too.

Revelations also, all they had to do was show Rebecca sitting at a desk in the BSAA's HQ, say she was one of the original 11 or give her a single line of dialog about a new virus.
Just something.
Barry, Billy and Claire I can understand not returning.

Just beat the Leon campaign with a buddy of mine. Here's what I hate the most; the goddamn cutscenes EVERY 2 minutes!!!!! I mean jesus christ it's annoying. AS SOON as the action starts to pick up again you are thrust into another cutscene.

Second, the GODDAMN QTE'S!!! I don't need a goddamn QTE to tell me to smash a crate or stomp on a zombies head. It's just gone too damn far! CUT THAT SHIT OUT!

The design of the game fucking sucks too. You can't upgrade weapons, toggling through your weapons is a fucking chore, you have to reload EVERY 2 seconds because enemies refuse to go down even when shot in the head twice, and the melee is an absolute joke; I got so annoyed that I continued to pummel my partner everytime we were in close range and had to melee.

I dunno, i was a huge fan of RE4 and RE5. Right now RE6 is an aboslute joke of a game. RE6 doesn't even have an exploratory aspect either. You're just thrust forward through the game. I'm going to finish the other campaigns for sure but if I don't start liking it more I will be selling it back to GameStop just like with Raccoon City.

As of right now, Capcom, you did a terrible job.

Teknoman

Second, the GODDAMN QTE'S!!! I don't need a goddamn QTE to tell me to smash a crate or stomp on a zombies head. It's just gone too damn far! CUT THAT SHIT OUT!

The design of the game fucking sucks too. You can't upgrade weapons, toggling through your weapons is a fucking chore, you have to reload EVERY 2 seconds because enemies refuse to go down even when shot in the head twice, and the melee is an absolute joke; I got so annoyed that I continued to pummel my partner everytime we were in close range and had to melee.

Those arent QTEs. They are just button prompts like "Open" and whatnot. They arent necessary, but they arent QTEs.

Upgrading weapons isnt necessary, since they act like RE1-CV weapons, you've got the skill system to boost whatever you want, and all have different standard power levels and accuracy/fire rate. Also you can turn off player contact in the menu before you start the game (Attack Reaction if i'm not mistaken). Switching weapons is just done through pressing left or right on the d-pad and items are mapped to up and down.

As far as enemies, some are just weaker to headshots than others, or have protection/other weak spots. Try shooting some in the legs to stagger them, then melee. Either that or chest shots. You can tell when you're damaging something if you see chunks of it fly off. As far as undead stuff goes anyway. It does have more of an exploratory aspect than 5, but I wish it took some cues from early RE games, as far as searching for items goes.

venom2124

Me and my brother are early in Leon's campaign,
metal detector area
, and he disconnected. How do you invite someone in the middle of playing? Will we be able to pick up where we left off?

Sojgat

Hunnigan.
Yay?

Also, the biggest design flaw I can find with the prompts and QTEs is even if you hit an on-screen melee prompt in time it doesn't mean it will absolutely hit. Sometimes if you melee an enemy who's on the ground for example, they might grapple or swipe at you, when in other games you would be briefly invincible after hitting a prompt in time. You still have to take close notice of all the animations the enemies are doing.

Ken

Hunnigan.
Yay?

Also, the biggest design flaw I can find with the prompts and QTEs is even if you hit an on-screen melee prompt in time it doesn't mean it will absolutely hit. Sometimes if you melee an enemy who's on the ground for example, they might grapple or swipe at you, when in other games you would be briefly invincible after hitting a prompt in time. You still have to take close notice of all the animations the enemies are doing.

For some reason only civilian zombies and well...zombie zombies actually swipe at you while grounded. It's funny because the only humanoid enemies that don't are the trained J'avo and
Neo-Umbrella soldiers
. >.>

Teknoman

For some reason only civilian zombies and well...zombie zombies actually swipe at you while grounded. It's funny because the only humanoid enemies that don't are the trained J'avo and
Neo-Umbrella soldiers
. >.>

Those Scvalaka (cant recall the actual spelling, its one of the C-virus Serbian names) swipe at you as well. But I guess they count as zombies too?

EDIT: Lol I was way off - Rasklapanje is what I meant.

BeeDog

Still waiting for my copy so barely know anything about the game, but I have one question; what's up with all the Serbian names for the enemies? Does the game take place there?

Teknoman

The who? The one's early in the Chris campaign?

Dunno, havent started Chris yet, but they are in Leon's as well.
They act like the leech zombies from RE0, keep coming back to life unless you burn them(?) and they fall apart really easy...yet regenerate organs/legs/whatever from any section of their body

Rasklapanje is what I meant :p Was way off with the spelling. Must have been think of another file or something.

Still waiting for my copy so barely know anything about the game, but I have one question; what's up with all the Serbian names for the enemies? Does the game take place there?

I bet a good chunk of the true beginning does. Havent played Chris or Jake scenario yet, but it seems like their events start way before Leon.

Dantis

It's not about them all being connected, it just seems like these characters would have kept in contact after their astoundingly unfortunate habit of falling into bad situations.

Revelations also, all they had to do was show Rebecca sitting at a desk in the BSAA's HQ, say she was one of the original 11 or give her a single line of dialog about a new virus.
Just something.
Barry, Billy and Claire I can understand not returning.

Yep. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't introduce a handful of new characters every game also.

Ken

Dunno, havent started Chris yet, but they are in Leon's as well.
They act like the leech zombies from RE0, keep coming back to life unless you burn them(?) and they fall apart really easy...yet regenerate organs/legs/whatever from any section of their body

Oh those. I meant more like...just regular human enemies.

T.O.P

Banned
I enjoyed Leon 3, don't know why people seem to hate it. Only annoyance was the seemingly respawning enemies but they were never more than 2-3 at a time. It was worse when compared to 2 though, but that's probably the best chapter in the game.

However I agree about Jake. Far and away his best chapter. So awesome. Reminded me of Mirrors edge at the beginning.

Speaking of Leon 2, I recall a locked door with a big insignia on it. I ran around but couldn't find anything that would unlock it. What's the deal there?

mmm, the one in the
cemetary
?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVXmhCSFc58&feature=relmfu 1:51

i think someone talked about going through that with
Ada
but i can't remember for sure

yeah i had dat ME vibe instantly, shame that it didn't last for long :(

Replicant

From what I understand
the C-virus and J'avo mutation started in Edonia before spreading to the US and China. Thus the name possibly reflect the area it came from

BeeDog

From what I understand
the C-virus and J'avo mutation started in Edonia before spreading to the US and China. Thus the name possibly reflect the area it came from

So
Edonia is a fictional version of Serbia then, I guess?
Thanks.

AlexBasch

I just finished downloading the RE5 GE from my Archives edition.

Holy shit, I can't play it now. For some reason I had no issues at all playing RE4 two days ago but this? I missed the evades, roll, melee. I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to this again.

Nice.

d00d3n

A question about the Jake chase sequences:
Does the Ustanak hunt you during normal gameplay while exploring the map or is it divided into structured chase sequences (short duration, easy to replay, with cinematic camera view, and so on) and actual boss fights where you are supposed to damage him?

T.O.P

Banned
A question about the Jake chase sequences:
Does the Ustanak hunt you during normal gameplay while exploring the map or is it divided into structured chase sequences (short duration, easy to replay, with cinematic camera view, and so on) and actual boss fights where you are supposed to damage him?

i'm pretty sure it appears only on scripted event and specific area

Lucent

I just finished downloading the RE5 GE from my Archives edition.

Holy shit, I can't play it now. For some reason I had no issues at all playing RE4 two days ago but this? I missed the evades, roll, melee. I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to this again.

Nice.

lol. All the complaining the haters are doing, and those of us who stuck with it and are enjoying it are now feeling this way.

d00d3n

i'm pretty sure it appears only on scripted event and specific area

Does that include large areas where you are supposed to evade him in normal gameplay or is that only boss sequences where you are supposed to damage him?

Love the game, beaten Leons campaign and Chris'. Played a load of mercenaries unlocked 2 of the alt colours through RE.net.

I am currently playing Jakes story,
I don't know which chapter, but it is just after the first time you see the bugs that alert the ustanak. The ustanak is walking around in a large room with an ice floor and there is 4 remote mines on the right, I am playing as jake. I literally have no idea what to do, every time I spawn, the ustanak charges and kills sherry instantly I've tried luring the ustanak away and blowing him up with remote mines but he just then goes to sherry again and kills her.

Any tips?

Nemesis_

Love the game, beaten Leons campaign and Chris'. Played a load of mercenaries unlocked 2 of the alt colours through RE.net.

I am currently playing Jakes story,
I don't know which chapter, but it is just after the first time you see the bugs that alert the ustanak. The ustanak is walking around in a large room with an ice floor and there is 4 remote mines on the right, I am playing as jake. I literally have no idea what to do, every time I spawn, the ustanak charges and kills sherry instantly I've tried luring the ustanak away and blowing him up with remote mines but he just then goes to sherry again and kills her.

Any tips?

The bugs have circles in front of them made out of flies or something, that is their field of view. Sneak up behind them and hit them.

Ken

My biggest problem with the game is the "boss fights." A lot seem like you don't even need to damage them that much but just wait out some invisible timer while periodically poking them with bullets.

Would have loved some kind of health bar.

big_z

It's insane how much this game is growing on me now. It might be the fact that playing on professional is more fun....but everything is just clicking with me now. It's slowly climbing the ranks to be one of my favourite main RE's!

Not too shabby since the first time I played the demo I thought it was utter garbage. Once you work out the insane amount of different mechanics the game blossoms. I love the craziness and the creativity is a miracle after RE5.

yeah im half way through chris's campaign(finished leons), playing co-op and on veteran although the game is ranking me on normal due to a bug. cover is useless but otherwise no problems. learn the controls, turn off the crosshair and the game plays quite well. complaints about enemies not reacting is bullshit. you're either blowing chunks off or they will react in some way. if you're capable of paying basic attention you can easily tell how much damage you've done.

the only really cheap thing in this game are some of the random environmental deaths(train, ambulance) that often happen too fast to avoid.

Just beat the Leon campaign with a buddy of mine. Here's what I hate the most; the goddamn cutscenes EVERY 2 minutes!!!!! I mean jesus christ it's annoying. AS SOON as the action starts to pick up again you are thrust into another cutscene.

there're more than past RE games but most are quick and there are fair stretches without any.

those are not QTE, they are prompts to tell you that you can do something. when attacking an enemy the promt will change depending on part of the body youre attacking and distance. comes in handy in when you want to do a stronger instant kill attack instead of kicking enemies away from you.

up/down = gernades. left/right = guns. how is that hard? you only go into the Y inventory to mix herbs or drop stuff to make space.

different guns have different strengths. learn them and you can drop enemies in one or two shots almost every time.

melee works fine. you have stamina and where you're standing when attacking changes what you do.

lack of gun upgrading does suck. i prefer that over the perk system they put in it's place.

maybe play mercenaries until you have a good understanding of the mechanics. once they click and you're not fighting the game it becomes quite enjoyable.

My biggest problem with the game is the "boss fights." A lot seem like you don't even need to damage them that much but just wait out some invisible timer while periodically poking them with bullets.

Would have loved some kind of health bar.

it's mostly dump ammo into them until the weak spots pop out or they go into a vulnerable stance. the problem is they're bullet sponges and it can take too long to figure out what you're doing. the fights also go on too long. makes you wonder if you're missing some sort of QTE or weak point.

Top Bottom