• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Done will all. Jake's ok, certainly like it more than Chris's. If I'd rank the campaigns, it will go like this:

Leon > Ada > Jake > Chris

Overall I had fun with the game. No idea why it was rated so low, it's a bit better than average. I can this game is much more fun than RE5. My problem is that the story is all over the place without any "files" (unless I missed them) and the cover mechanic is terrrrible.

Nemesis_

Done will all. Jake's ok, certainly like it more than Chris's. If I'd rank the campaigns, it will go like this:

Leon > Ada > Jake > Chris

Overall I had fun with the game. No idea why it was rated so low, it's a bit better than average. I can this game is much more fun than RE5. My problem is that the story is all over the place without any "files" (unless I missed them) and the cover mechanic is terrrrible.

Yeah, it's weird that a large majority of the story is relegated to the files, which are only unlockable by finding the serpent emblem.

What' even MORE WEIRD is that these files are botched, the full versions are available on RE.Net only =/

So so far it seems
Ada's campaign
is way harder than the other
three

yeah, sure game, I'll fight 10 Napds in a small room with no ammo, especially when every box in the room gives me skill points instead of ammo.

I just hated her chapter 2... so much... I hate zombies

Please, Capcom, make RE7 completely lacking in zombies again. I hate zombies. Zombies terrify me. They come out of nowhere and grab you and drain a significant portion of my health before I can break free. They wear plate armor and helmets sometimes, what the fuck. Oh, and the big giant ones should not be able to charge in a room and instantly turn 90 degrees and knock me down.

I'll take ganados, majini, and j'avo over zombies any fucking day. I want to fight grotesque mutating tentacley creatures, not zombies.

I'm halfway through this right now and I don't see why this game is getting panned by some.
Except for maybe some personal preferences and little hickups, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. I'm enjoying it more than 5. And some parts are absolutely creepy (Jake Ch. 2, second half), and no I'm not talking about the writing ;)
If in doubt, just give it a go!

Replicant

HALP! I need help for
Ada
's Chapter 4.

This is the part where
in the ship after you avoid the search light the 2nd time around (the one where you have to be running and ducking really fast). There is a guard standing behind a door but he's facing my direction. Next to him there's a door where 3 more guards guarding the lab. There are two alarms: one on the outside and one on the inside. Is there a way to get to my destination (up the ladder) without triggering the alarm? And if so, how?

HALP! I need help for
Ada
's Chapter 4.

This is the part where
in the ship after you avoid the search light the 2nd time around (the one where you have to be running and ducking really fast). There is a guard standing behind a door but he's facing my direction. Next to him there's a door where 3 more guards guarding the lab. There are two alarms: one on the outside and one on the inside. Is there a way to get to my destination (up the ladder) without triggering the alarm? And if so, how?

Crossbow to the face

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
HALP! I need help for
Ada
's Chapter 4.

This is the part where

Use cover, lean out and crossbow him in the face... he won't "see" you if you're quick enough.

I have no crossbow left
*sadface*

Is there anything important in that adjacent room anyway?

You can't even get in there.... afaik.

Nemesis_

I have no crossbow left
*sadface*

Is there anything important in that adjacent room anyway?

If you really want to, you can run up to him and take him out with melee. The game gives you a very short "grace period" to take someone out without initiating an alert.

It's only an achievement, though.

Sidzed2

This game finally makes it clear just how good RE5 was. It was a step down from RE4, sure, but RE6 shows how thing could definitely have been worse.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This game finally makes it clear just how good RE5 was. It was a step down from RE4, sure, but RE6 shows how thing could definitely have been worse.

I don't mean to be picky here, but what about it didn't you like? I only ask since we have these wonderfully constructed posts from a lot of users either enjoying the game or think it's just alright or worse, but every once in a while some random user comes in and says something similar to what you just posted, no detail or anything really worth discussing, and then they leave without ever saying anything else. I am all for varied opinions, but I think its more worthwhile for everyone if you dislike the game to put some more effort into saying why you disliked it. Otherwise it just comes off, to me anyway, as someone who hasn't actually played it just riding the dislike bandwagon.

A recent example of a fairly negative but well-constructed opinion would be the Gamespot podcast featuring four of the six people who gave the lowest reviews to the game. I may not agree with their opinion, but I appreciate the depth and respect their opinion for what it is they were willing to go into detail with. It was interesting to listen to, and some other users have formulated some excellent posts pinpointing why they disliked the game already, or elements of the game they disliked.

Sojgat

No. RE5 was a poor clone of 4, that was almost broken unless you played it co-op, and it suffered from all the bad set pieces and QTE problems that RE6 does. RE6 is it's own thing, and while it does a real bad job of explaining itself, and some of the attempts at westernizing the design are misguided, it's the superior game.

Replicant

Ada III? I really, really enjoyed the end of that chapter.

Okay, I give up. How do I defeat this
annoying broad
? I mean I know I'm supposed to
shoot the canister but her big face is in the way and I don't have enough ammo to blast through it before it re-generates again

Nemesis_

Okay, I give up. How do I defeat this
annoying broad
? I mean I know I'm supposed to
shoot the canister but her big face is in the way and I don't have enough ammo to blast through it before it re-generates again

Is this how you play?

image.php

Try to use just Pipe Bomb arrows. if not, use Assault Shotgun.

Those two weapons work best. If you have no more ammo, there should be some weird red pustules on the walls. Break them with weapons to get more ammo.

Sectus

I don't mean to be picky here, but what about it didn't you like? I only ask since we have these wonderfully constructed posts from a lot of users either enjoying the game or think it's just alright or worse, but every once in a while some random user comes in and says something similar to what you just posted, no detail or anything really worth discussing, and then they leave without ever saying anything else. I am all for varied opinions, but I think its more worthwhile for everyone if you dislike the game to put some more effort into saying why you disliked it. Otherwise it just comes off, to me anyway, as someone who hasn't actually played it just riding the dislike bandwagon.

A recent example of a fairly negative but well-constructed opinion would be the Gamespot podcast featuring four of the six people who gave the lowest reviews to the game. I may not agree with their opinion, but I appreciate the depth and respect their opinion for what it is they were willing to go into detail with. It was interesting to listen to, and some other users have formulated some excellent posts pinpointing why they disliked the game already, or elements of the game they disliked.

I'm not someone who hates RE6, but I can see some things which RE5 handled better. For instance, I like the level design in RE5 better overall. RE5 had more areas where you're put into a zone and you have a sense of exploration. Like Public Assembly where you could roam a fairly sizable area while defending from enemies. Or many areas in the ancient ruins where you had several paths to explore. RE6 has a few of these areas too, but it's much much more linear in general. RE5 also had far less moments where it randomly stole camera control. It probably doesn't help that RE6 always has the objective marker, that might have added to the feeling of linearity.

I have a hard time figuring out which game I like more, I think they both have their own strengths and weaknesses when compared.

Replicant

Is this how you play?

image.php

Moar or less.

Try to use just Pipe Bomb arrows. if not, use Assault Shotgun.

Those two weapons work best. If you have no more ammo, there should be some weird red pustules on the walls. Break them with weapons to get more ammo.

Pfft. You call that a 'tactic'? Meh, let's see if I can do it now I have Piercing lv.2 and Firearm lv.2. I have to admit that I was seriously disturbed in the events that preceded said encounter. I just want to get out of this messed up ship and touch things again. *sobs*

Wait, what is pipe bomb arrow?

Dusk Golem

I'm not someone who hates RE6, but I can see some things which RE5 handled better. For instance, I like the level design in RE5 better overall. RE5 had more areas where you're put into a zone and you have a sense of exploration. Like Public Assembly where you could roam a fairly sizable area while defending from enemies. Or many areas in the ancient ruins where you had several paths to explore. RE6 has a few of these areas too, but it's much much more linear in general. RE5 also had far less moments where it randomly stole camera control. It probably doesn't help that RE6 always has the objective marker, that might have added to the feeling of linearity.

I have a hard time figuring out which game I like more, I think they both have their own strengths and weaknesses when compared.

While I am certain I like RE6 more, I do agree there are things RE5 does better. The first one that immediately hits me is the weapon system. Choosing, upgrading, and organizing your weapons I think is a lot of a better and more thoughtful process than how RE6 handles it. In general I felt the item managing in RE6 was fairly weak actually, and a real step down from the two titles before it. I found organizing my cache and upgrading guns to actually be quite fun, and skill points just don't have the same appeal.

I also feel like RE5 is a more consistent package. While I think RE6 has better designed stages for creating immersion (the locales are designed more... Realistically, if that makes sense? I mean obviously not entirely but the worlds feel more coherent to me). However, that sort of level design doesn't always work for the games mechanics, and I feel Resident Evil 5 had stages that were more built as shooting galleries with a much more arcade feel to them. Resident Evil 6 has more of a coherent world design going for it, but RE5 had better shooting gallery stages.

I should mention I always play with the Hub off and explore a lot so I may not quite agree with the linearity comment. Both felt about the same to me when it comes to linearity/exploration balance.

Evolved1

Moar or less.

Pfft. You call that a 'tactic'? Meh, let's see if I can do it now I have Piercing lv.2 and Firearm lv.2. I have to admit that I was seriously disturbed in the events that preceded said encounter. I just want to get out of this messed up ship and touch things again. *sobs*

Yikes... it's like her most powerful weapon. You're through most of her campaign and didn't know this? lol

Use the quickshot with it... auto reloads.

Also... gotta love how they gave a nod to RE4 with her crossbow dodges. Somersaults.

Bought the game on Tuesday, and I'm still at the part where I CAN'T FUCKING INSTALL THE GODDAM GAME!!! Really pissed off with my PS3 right now; nothing installs past 14%. Sony doesn't want to refund my money because they think it's an error on my Internet provider's part; Verizon says bullshit; Sony's network is at fault, and I'm caught in the middle.

Nemesis_

What else do you WANT FROM ME

Evolved1

CAPCOM... please get your network issues sorted out. I would like to play mercs, thanks.

Evolved1

Yeah, oops. I just did that and yeah, it's powerful. No wonder I was confused why I kept getting arrows but couldn't use it with the normal one.

A few weapons have different ammo / alt-fire... some machine guns have a grenade launcher. The actual grenade launcher has different ammo types (EXPL/ACID/NITR) and some weapons have fire modes or can dual wield (Leon) all by pressing L1+triangle/Y

nOoblet16

Just a thought.

I find it funny that some people still complain about survival horror aspect and give absolutely no chance to accept the direction the series has taken since RE4, yet somehow they never seem to care how RE4 was the game that killed it. The kind of horror RE had, I think all of us have outgrown it. All they can do is have very atmospheric and creepy environments, which they do in RE6.

Dusk Golem

YOUR FACE!!! I'm the REAL Nemesis!!!

I was going to post a picture of Lisa Trevor as a response to this, pointing out she's the RE monster who collects faces. However, by doing so I somehow stumbled upon a Project Umbrella topic with images that revealed Lisa Trevor's model in REmake actually is modeled nude under her clothes.

I am now scarred.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished Leon's scenario professional, and my co-op partner disconnected during the end cutscene >_<. I've heard a few people say Leon got the short end of the stick now, and they might be right. Havent played the rest, and I will be moving to Chris after this, but it seems like his entire scenario was just based on proving he was innocent, with the C-virus cure/vaccine just being a slight second priority. Granted
Simmon's human transformer style mutations were kinda cool, I was expecting each character to have to visit each area at some point, but I guess its just two areas for each?
. Going outside chrono order, so I guess i'll just have to keep the events fresh in my mind. But i'm really not seeing what
Simmons
was trying to do exactly. And that he was
in love with Ada?
Where did that come from all of a sudden, and what happened to the clone?

And Leon had all of what,
three
bosses? I guess i'm just not used to the game being this split up...wanted a few more boss fights in Leon's.

The whole scenario was unfulfilling narratively. Capcom's three campaign in any random order thing is awful.

I'm halfway through Chris now and I'm not sure it's going to be any better unless Jake is full of answers.

Chris fucking sucks.

Jawmuncher

I was going to post a picture of Lisa Trevor as a response to this, pointing out she's the RE monster who collects faces. However, by doing so I somehow stumbled upon a Project Umbrella topic with images that revealed Lisa Trevor's model in REmake actually is modeled nude under her clothes.
I am now scarred.

pics or it didnt happen..........

Just a thought.

I find it funny that some people still complain about survival horror aspect and give absolutely no chance to accept the direction the series has taken since RE4, yet somehow they never seem to care how RE4 was the game that killed it. The kind of horror RE had, I think all of us have outgrown it. All they can do is have very atmospheric and creepy environments, which they do in RE6.
That is because RE4 didn't kill shit.

Dusk Golem

Just a thought.

I feel RE6 was a notch below RE4, but definitely had more creepy aspects than 5. I will say I do think RE4 had some legitimately creepy moments. I was surprised/scared at a few things, namely the hedge maze and Regenerators. And a few other segments really tensed me up.

pics or it didnt happen..........

The shot I saw on Google Images (the frontal shot) isn't actually in the topic, seems to have been removed but can be seen in the cache for Google. But if you really want some mental scarring today...

Nemesis_

I am now scarred.

Prettiest RE girl for sure

That is because RE4 didn't kill shit.

He's right though. Not many people would say that RE4 is a bad game or the game that killed the franchise, but it's clearly the installment that shifted the direction of the series toward what it is now. It's not so much about the actual quality of the games as opposed to the ideals. I'm one of RE4's biggest detractors and I think it's a really good game. Yet I can't shake the direction it took the series in, and for that reason I also loathe it in some ways.

A real love/hate relationship.

Evolved1

What score gets you an A in solo mercs?

I've been cleaning up pretty well in duo... no 150 combo yet but we generally clear the enemies and get S rank. It's not too hard.

But solo is a different story. I think it's 90,000? I missed this on my last Jake run by about a few hundred. Damn. Did everything as perfectly as I could. All time bonuses and I melee'd most of the enemies for +time. Still came up short.

My combo did bust a few times... but it's pretty hard to keep that shit going in solo. The few times I lost combo, I got the kills just after it expired. :(

If A is 90,000 then I should be able to do it. I don't think I'll ever S in a solo run. The planets would have to align and create some acute, concentrated serendipity for that to happen.

nOoblet16

I feel RE6 was a notch below RE4, but definitely had more creepy aspects than 5. I will say I do think RE4 had some legitimately creepy moments. I was surprised/scared at a few things, namely the hedge maze and Regenerators. And a few other segments really tensed me up.

It definitely is tense, even RE5 and RE6 have tense moments. But I never felt scared.

He's right though. Not many people would say that RE4 is a bad game or the game that killed the franchise, but it's clearly the installment that shifted the direction of the series toward what it is now. It's not so much about the actual quality of the games as opposed to the ideals. I'm one of RE4's biggest detractors and I think it's a really good game. Yet I can't shake the direction it took the series in, and for that reason I also loathe it in some ways.

I share the same view, but I have come to accept it and like it as well.
When I look at the bigger picture, I like how they've slowly built up the bio terrorism aspect over the years starting from just a lab mishap in RE1.

However, I just don't get the cries for survival horror. Even Dead Space isn't horror, the proper horror games are game like Amnesia and penumbra and RE was never like that and it never will be, I simply cannot see horror working in the RE world anymore, creepy and haunting? yes, but not scary. Even I'd get cocky seeing an infected being if I've been fighting them for 20 years...lol

Even with all it's issue I do no see how RE6 can be classified as utter shit, unless you are being completely biased.

Replicant

YAASSSS!!! Trophies actually stacked. So if I do Prof, I'd get Vet too. Nifty.

LOL. WTF @
Ada's final ending. Yeah, there's the job thing sure. But suddenly we see Jake instead, acting like Dante at the end?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is it not the case that people were starting to complain about the sameness of RE games once Code: Veronica was released? Maybe before that?

Wasn't RE4 was a response to a perceived shift in what people wanted, not the catalyst? Then it turned out to be amazing, which of course also increases the chances of future games following the same formula. Even if RE4 had never existed, look at the gaming landscape today. Do you think a big company like Capcom who makes big budget games would still be making atmospheric horror games like the old REs? Not a chance.

Blaming RE4 specifically is an overly simplistic model of the events that have led RE to where it is now.

Evolved1

YAASSSS!!! Trophies actually stacked. So if I do Prof, I'd get Vet too. Nifty.

LOL. WTF @
Ada's final ending. Yeah, there's the job thing sure. But suddenly we see Jake instead, acting like Dante at the end?

This is what I hope is just some DLC and not the future of RE.
I fucking despise Dante. They go that cheeseball route and they'll lose me.

Nemesis_

LOL.

Joined a game as a Mesets. Grabbed Sherry while flying, dropped her off the mountain.

YESSS

what have I become

Top Bottom