• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sojgat

While I love RE6 as a whole, I absolutely agree the Prelude was self-defeating. It should've been used to teach the mechanics of combat (sliding, rolling, etc). The most advanced thing it "taught" was holding L1 to aim and R1 to shoot.

Yeah it is a shame, these are the games two biggest problems IMO, the lack of explanation for it's own systems, and the poor camera. If they already knew this I don't know if that makes a camera fix, at some point, more likely, or less.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
While I love RE6 as a whole, I absolutely agree the Prelude was self-defeating. It should've been used to teach the mechanics of combat (sliding, rolling, etc). The most advanced thing it "taught" was holding L1 to aim and R1 to shoot.

..and imagine what the reviewers would have done if even that wasn't in there.

Bladenic

Finished the 4th campaign. It did tie up most unanswered stuff from the story, which is good. Still, the way some people talked about it I kinda expected more.

Final campaign rankings:

Leon > Jake >slightly 4th > Chris

Now, the main 2 big issues I have with the game.

First the boss fights. I'm not even sure how many real boss fights there are in the game. So very few of the boss fights actually require shooting it's ridiculous. I'm not sure now, but it seems most fights are simply wait until the fight proceeds by it's own accord. On top of that, you have the whole
repeating fights, which are numerous.
The game might have a lot of enemy designs, but it's got very few bosses, and very few boss fights where you are actually required to shoot the boss to death. When compared to RE4 and 5, it's a big step down.

Now, the Uncharted inspiration for the game. Whether or not the developers actually played Uncharted or it's just coincidental, the comparison is right on the money. So many chase scenes or running towards the camera, so many "jump here but fall through" etc., so many of these cinematic prompts that get tiring after a while.

The QTE's can be annoying but they didn't bother me all that much. I do think RE5 did them much better for the most part though.

I did like the game, but most of the issues people talk about are there and bring the experience down. I also agree with Y2Kev (I think that's who it was) in that the J'Avo aren't nearly as interesting as Ganados or Majini, perhaps because we don't get to see them going about their business before we fight them, but I also don't recall much in the way of chatter from them.

I think if I had to rate the game right now, I'd give it something between a 7 and an 8. As for the rest of the series comparisons (only what I beaten):

RE4 > RE5 > REmake > RE6

Based on fun factor, RE6 is above REmake. Based on experience, it's below. Definitely curious to see what Capcom does with RE7 though.

ironcreed

Banned
I think the one thing I miss about Resident Evil is being alone and constantly separated after meeting up with someone for only a short period of time before being left alone again (which is kind of dumb but it helped make things scarier).

But, having come as far as we have, it'd seem silly to limit your character's movement to standing somewhere and firing before moving somewhere else. And not being able to melee. Or dodge.

I do want the creepy stuff to come back though. Where just being somewhere, even with no enemies, made you uneasy.

I like RE6, but I still want the old stuff, too.

For as much as I appreciate being able to move and shoot and some of the dodge and slide mechanics, the gameplay on the whole still feels too sloppy in RE6. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the RE4/RE5 scheme. Both of these feel way more precise and polished in the gameplay department to me.

The way you had to manage items and shoot while standing still created the perfect tension. Especially when fighting foes that lumber toward you with giant axes or chase you with chainsaws. To me, moments like this blows away anything I have experienced in RE6. More tension, polish and looks and plays better in general. At least I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlYsg3pJlw&playnext=1&list=PL439439D5F9F3AB76&feature=results_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfwPJ_EQ830&feature=relmfu

branny

I think it's definitely up to personal preference. I'm personally finding RE6's core mechanics far more fun to play around with than I have any other RE game. It's everything else beyond your character's capabilities that isn't quite up to par in RE6.

Hard to decide which one I prefer more, tbh: a more restrictive, focused game that feels cohesively designed or one that's more fun to fuck around in despite coming off a little sloppy with the kitchen sink approach.

edit: I'm actually really confused which one I like more. For example, I can totally hate a platformer that doesn't feel fun to control, no matter how strong its level design is. On the other hand, I always appreciate ultra-refined games where every little thing feels deliberate and nuanced.

I think it's definitely up to personal preference. I'm personally finding RE6's core mechanics far more fun to play around with than I have any other RE game. It's everything else beyond your character's capabilities that isn't quite up to par in RE6.

Hard to decide which one I prefer more, tbh: a game that feels more cohesively designed or one that's more fun to fuck around in.

well put

Game has gone some damn issues for sure, but gawt damn is it probably the most FUN RE i've ever played

Sojgat

Hard to decide which one I prefer more, tbh: a more restrictive, focused game that feels cohesively designed or one that's more fun to fuck around in despite coming off a little sloppy with the kitchen sink approach.

I really love the combat and controls in RE6, but that YouTube video made me miss the RE5 camera. Why did they change it, it would have been perfect for the RE6 combat mechanics. Weapons in RE5 felt more powerful by default too, silly Capcom.

Neiteio

I'm still glowing with happiness from the (Chris Chapter 3 spoilers)
giant invisible snake
boss encounter. What an incredible sequence. Super-atmospheric environment packed full of nooks and crannies to explore, awesome build-up with the glimpses of the creature and the bodies it leaves behind as it picks off your crew, and then the battle itself is just fantastic. They could excerpt this whole section of the game and charge $10 for it and I'd gladly pay up for it. I also quite liked the recurring
helicopter
boss in that chapter. And the jeep segment that seems so polarizing to people here was, in my opinion, a lot of fun: I like the fact one player can actually steer the car, turning and boosting and braking, and the other mans the turret, and then they switch halfway through. I failed it several times, until I learned to boost at every opportunity. What a ride! But man, going back to the
giant invisible snake
boss -- I fucking loved that thing. It speaks to one of the plot devices I love most about RE, how the villains have all these giant monsters at their disposal, and opt to use them instead of, like, just gassing their enemies. The idea that
Neo-Umbrella made an optical camoflage-enhanced Yawn and let it loose to hunt down the BSAA
is just all sorts of badass.

On another note, I'm not having any trouble with the camera, though I think I know why some people are: The camera doesn't stay behind your charater all the time -- you have to play it like a twin-stick now, moving with one stick and steering the camera with the other. The A/X button recenters the camera, though.

Afrocious

For as much as I appreciate being able to move and shoot and some of the dodge and slide mechanics, the gameplay on the whole still feels too sloppy in RE6. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the RE4/RE5 scheme. Both of these feel way more precise and polished in the gameplay department to me.

The way you had to manage items and shoot while standing still created the perfect tension. Especially when fighting foes that lumber toward you with giant axes or chase you with chainsaws. To me, moments like this blows away anything I have experienced in RE6. More tension, polish and looks and plays better in general. At least I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlYsg3pJlw&playnext=1&list=PL439439D5F9F3AB76&feature=results_video

I imagine in RE6, if that chainsaw guy had you in a corner, you would have to duck quickly as he slashes the air with his chainsaw, then you roll away blasting him the best you can.

The reason I prefer RE6's controls is because the game literally sends chills down my spine the moment I narrowly avoid something or do a counter. Fighting some enemies in this game boils down to reflexes and quick thinking. Making snap decisions like if it's better to go through the stand-up animation or to stay on your back on the ground and keep shooting even though movement and melee abilities are severely hindered.

On a further note, the counter QTEs are brilliant. The fact they're mapped to the attack button makes perfect sense.

Sojgat

giant invisible snake
boss. What an incredible sequence. Super-atmospheric environment packed full of nooks and crannies to explore, awesome build-up with the glimpses of the creature and the bodies it leaves behind as it picks off your crew, and then the battle itself is just fantastic. They could excerpt this whole section of the game and charge $10 for it and I'd gladly pay up for it. I also quite liked the recurring
helicopter
boss in that chapter. And the jeep segment that seems so polarizing to people here was, in my opinion, a lot of fun: I like the fact one player can actually steer the car, turning and boosting and braking, and the other mans the turret, and then they switch halfway through. I failed it several times, until I learned to boost at every opportunity. What a ride! But man, going back to the
giant invisible snake
boss -- I fucking loved that thing. It speaks to one of the plot devices I love most about RE, how the villains have all these giant monsters at their disposal, and opt to use them instead of, like, just gassing their enemies. The idea that
Neo-Umbrella made an optical camoflage-enhanced Yawn and let it loose to hunt down the BSAA

On another note, I'm not having any trouble with the camera, though I think I know why some people are: The camera doesn't stay behind your charater all the time -- you have to play it like a twin-stick now, moving with one stick and steering the camera with the other. The A/X button recenters the camera, though.

I laughed at
Chris's little optional asides whenever you came across a dead teammate's body "Jenkins... NOOOooooo":)

Noi

I was talking to JoeFenix about this, but part of the issue with how the game looks is due to how RE6 has no issues with doing close-ups of some of the uglier textures in the game. Plenty of games has their share lazy textures and effects, but most of them do their best to hide them, not zoom in on them for the player to easilly see. Off the top of my head:

-The generic zombies in Leon Chapter 1. At a distance and in poor lighting, they look great. But then they added in the one brutal kill animation that's meant to be a throwback to the first zombie you meet in Resident Evil... except you get to see the poor zombie model REALLY up close, and the animation for it is pretty bad.

-I didn't particularly notice it until late chapter 4/early chapter 5, but the radio piece that's sitting on Chris's shoulder looks pretty bad. Every other detail except for that piece looks great, which makes it stand out even more.

-During Leon Chapter 4, when going inside the warehouse while tracking down Ada, there's a door you have to go through that has a lock on the wall right to the left of it. The lock is actually part of the wall's texture, and it literally looks like a pixelized texture lifted off a Doom 2-era game. It's not particularly hard to miss either, which draws even more attention to how plain the rest of the walls look.

-The
the helicopter panels when riding Ada's chopper
. Not hard to miss either.

-The canned animations and average textures for the
soldier that drives you around China in the jeep.
The scene is pretty bad simply because of how uncanny and stiff the whole ride is, but it gives you ample time to look around inside the jeep and notice how the driver basically goes through the same animation over and over. It's pretty silly.

Bladenic

giant invisible snake
boss encounter. What an incredible sequence. Super-atmospheric environment packed full of nooks and crannies to explore, awesome build-up with the glimpses of the creature and the bodies it leaves behind as it picks off your crew, and then the battle itself is just fantastic. They could excerpt this whole section of the game and charge $10 for it and I'd gladly pay up for it. I also quite liked the recurring
helicopter
giant invisible snake

Yep one of my favorite encounters in the game, probably the highlight of Chris's campaign. Such a great nod to RE1 too.

Neiteio

I laughed at
Chris's little optional asides whenever you came across a dead teammate's body "Jenkins... NOOOooooo":)
Ha, yeah, I love this. :) I also liked how the game didn't outright
kill off a number of his squadmates; some would be spat back into the room by the snake boss
, so it kept you guessing how everything would pan out. And Chris' concern for his men makes him a likable hero.

Ha, yeah, I love this. :) I also liked how the game didn't outright
kill off a number of his squadmates; some would be spat back into the room by the snake boss
, so it kept you guessing how everything would pan out. And Chris' concern for his men makes him a likable hero.

A likable hero? more like a douche!! "Hey squad, let's kill this potentially deadly without proper backup instead of helping Sherry and Jake!"

Chris came from the serious soldier to the stupid meathead serious soldier in RE6. Well, at least that some development!

Teknoman

Think of it like this, if you were an RE antagonist, the original disaster survivors are probably the best way to test out all your new BOWs, so why kill them from the start, when they are perfect field test subjects. Gotta test your product before distributing it right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think it was a fair assumption. You couldn't call RE6's controls 'F-Grade' if you acknowledge that they're functional and relevant.

I see what went wrong here. I was never talking about the controls, but I didn't name the specific things they took from Uncharted to avoid spoiling things. I was talking about the
tank at the chinese mansion, crawling up the cargo bay of a plane while shit falls at you, and car chase with ada and shooting at jeeps
. Those were all F-grade approximations of things that have been done MUCH better in other games, especially Uncharted 2 and 3.

The controls are good for the most part with two exceptions:

The way changing directions is inconsistent. Sometimes you can start walking the opposite direction instantly, sometimes you walk a semi-circle. This has led directly to my death at least once.

Second, I wish you could dodge roll without first readying your weapon because. Sometimes I'm already running around and want to instantly roll, but it doesn't seem to work very well that way.

Neiteio

A likable hero? more like a douche!! "Hey squad, let's kill this potentially deadly without proper backup instead of helping Sherry and Jake!"

Chris came from the serious soldier to the stupid meathead serious soldier in RE6. Well, at least that some development!
Look at it this way: Chris was so pissed at what happened to his men back in Edonia that he was hell-bent on stopping
Ada Wong
, so his intentions were good, but his blind fury was leading him (and his men) into danger -- and Piers called him out on it. It's not like the game overlooks his erratic behavior. Heart of gold, head full of anger. :)

NIN90

Okay since I'm never gonna touch this game again here are my preorder codes (X360) for two Mercenaries maps. Quote to reveal the codes.

The Catacombs

High Seas Fortress

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man, a tutorial area would've been great for the various reviewers, etc, who didn't know about the various mechanics like rolling and sliding. GAF knew about many of them from the trailers, but yeah, if they ever go back and add anything, a tutorial area like the one the director wanted would be smart.

Should have done Sherry's agent training... yup I'm smart.

Lucent

Yeah, but it's not realistic to limit someone's movement. To me, the old style of moving in RE compared to RE6 is like comparing someone in a wheelchair to someone who isn't in one. Tension should be made without artificially limiting someone's movement. Now, if they incorporated some kind of damage system where, depending on how damaged you were, you couldn't do as much movement, but could heal back up to that with some health items, that would make more sense. I don't want to be back to where it's like "oh man this enemy is coming at me really fast. Maybe I should roll like a real person! Oh wait, I can't. My legs are stiff"

lol. That's just how I feel about it. They're going to have to figure out how to make stuff scary without limiting movement and stuff.

Curufinwe

It does teach the quick shot. So far it's all I've played cause I'm trying to finish Mark of the Ninja first.

JoeFenix

I was talking to JoeFenix about this, but part of the issue with how the game looks is due to how RE6 has no issues with doing close-ups of some of the uglier textures in the game. Plenty of games has their share lazy textures and effects, but most of them do their best to hide them, not zoom in on them for the player to easilly see. Off the top of my head:

-The generic zombies in Leon Chapter 1. At a distance and in poor lighting, they look great. But then they added in the one brutal kill animation that's meant to be a throwback to the first zombie you meet in Resident Evil... except you get to see the poor zombie model REALLY up close, and the animation for it is pretty bad.

-I didn't particularly notice it until late chapter 4/early chapter 5, but the radio piece that's sitting on Chris's shoulder looks pretty bad. Every other detail except for that piece looks great, which makes it stand out even more.

-During Leon Chapter 4, when going inside the warehouse while tracking down Ada, there's a door you have to go through that has a lock on the wall right to the left of it. The lock is actually part of the wall's texture, and it literally looks like a pixelized texture lifted off a Doom 2-era game. It's not particularly hard to miss either, which draws even more attention to how plain the rest of the walls look.

-The
the helicopter panels when riding Ada's chopper
. Not hard to miss either.

-The canned animations and average textures for the
soldier that drives you around China in the jeep.
The scene is pretty bad simply because of how uncanny and stiff the whole ride is, but it gives you ample time to look around inside the jeep and notice how the driver basically goes through the same animation over and over. It's pretty silly.

I'm wondering if part of this is because of RAM utilisation from moving to a defered renderer of if it's a case of outsourcing alot of artwork to less capable artists to save costs and help build out the huge amount of assets required for the game.

Probably a bit of both, although there are no really bad outsourcing firms listed in the credits. Either way it can look really sloppy but most of the time it looks pretty good, especialy in cutscenes.

RedSwirl

Definitely. I didn't get a full grasp on the game's melee system until Jake Chapter 3 - after I'd played through the other two campaigns.

Sojgat

So can someone tell me how I'm performing counters? They look really awesome but fuck if I know how I'm pulling them off.

Pressing Melee button when enemies are about to attack/hit you. There is a prompt somtimes at the right angle, but if you wait you will miss the counter. You can do it while reloading, but it will cancel the reload. Combat in this game is great.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So can someone tell me how I'm performing counters? They look really awesome but fuck if I know how I'm pulling them off.

You're hitting R1 at precisely the right time... the window is minuscule. Sometime you'll see the indicator, but usually you're already too late by then unless you're right on it when it pops. You can counter without the indicator popping up, since it doesn't always.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, but it's not realistic to limit someone's movement. To me, the old style of moving in RE compared to RE6 is like comparing someone in a wheelchair to someone who isn't in one. Tension should be made without artificially limiting someone's movement. Now, if they incorporated some kind of damage system where, depending on how damaged you were, you couldn't do as much movement, but could heal back up to that with some health items, that would make more sense. I don't want to be back to where it's like "oh man this enemy is coming at me really fast. Maybe I should roll like a real person! Oh wait, I can't. My legs are stiff"

lol. That's just how I feel about it. They're going to have to figure out how to make stuff scary without limiting movement and stuff.

I can see it both ways for sure and your point is more than valid. But after much thought and looking back, I don't need it to be realistic. That is the kind of gameplay that made me love it as a game. Having to position yourself, manage inventory and shoot in place while being attacked from nearly all angles by enemies that not only looked, but were deadly was just a system that worked and created the kind of tension that made the series skyrocket to popularity to begin with. It had it's own brand of tension... it's own feel, and I just prefer it that way. Not to mention that RE4/RE5 were much more polished and more fully developed. Of course, to each their own.

Noi

You know, it might be for the wrong reasons, but it does make me happy to see people defending RE5 now that a bigger offender has shown up. I can only imagine the same might happen for 6 if RE7 rolls around and does things "worse".

ironcreed

Banned
You know, it might be for the wrong reasons, but it does make me happy to see people defending RE5 now that a bigger offender has shown up. I can only imagine the same might happen for 6 if RE7 rolls around and does things "worse".

I loved RE5 anyway, but playing this just makes me want to go right back and play it again. I missed the add-ons, so I think I am going to get the Gold version on PSN.

RedSwirl

Honestly,
Ada's
constant snark is starting to get to me. We get it, she's cooler than everybody else an doesn't have to exert as much effort to do stuff.

Lucent

I can see it both ways for sure and your point is more than valid. But after much thought and looking back, I don't need it to be realistic. That is the kind of gameplay that made me love it as a game. Having to position yourself, manage inventory and shoot in place while being attacked from nearly all angles by enemies that not only looked, but were deadly was just a system that worked and created the kind of tension that made the series skyrocket to popularity to begin with. It had it's own brand of tension... it's own feel, and I just prefer it that way. Not to mention that RE4/RE5 were much more polished and more fully developed. Of course, to each their own.

Being able to aim at individual parts is something that I was definitely happy about. Headshots with a handgun in previous REs were all luck it seemed.

I can see what you mean if you think of it purely as a game, but I guess it's because I always though since the very first RE game "it's only one zombie. If I was in this situation, I would kick it and stomp on its head. No need to waste ammo on this." So that's sort of why I really am loving being able to dodge and stuff.

I really would like to see them go back to the drawing board though and make something really creepy and atmospheric again. REmake was amazing with everything they added. That little cabin you wake up in, running into Lisa Trevor as you try to leave it. Man, that crap was creepy. Old worn out abandoned stuff is really creepy to me. The guest houses behind the mansion were probably the freakiest parts to me.

They haven't really done that since the first game though. It's all been about the "well, people used to be alive and well here, but they're all zombies now and B.O.W.s have been let loose." lol

Seriously wonder what Mikami's game is gonna be like...

Trigger

Honestly,
Ada's
constant snark is starting to get to me. We get it, she's cooler than everybody else an doesn't have to exert as much effort to do stuff.

It's actually sort of amusing when you consider that there's usually no one around to hear all of her snark.

SpokkX

Completed Leon and Chris

Will now sell the game and not waste more time on it.

Gamespot and Giantbomb where spot on in their reviews. The game is garbage

After these 10 chapters there is not ONE I would like to play again. Not ONE

Respawning zombies, qtes, linear corridor levels, constant over the top scripted events. This is not
RE, it is a bad CoD imitator with RE character (not even proper RE atmosphere)

Shame on you Capcom. Shame

Afrocious

Completed Leon and Chris

Respawning zombies, qtes, linear corridor levels, constant over the top scripted events. This is not

I haven't played Call of Duty since MW1 but if the later ones play anything like RE6, please tell me which and I will buy it off Amazon right now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Completed Leon and Chris

You haven't even played the worst campaign. lol.

RedSwirl

Did Capcom really think it was a good idea to recycle the same
three key puzzle bullshit with the same annoying-ass enemy in ALL FOUR CAMPAIGNS?! It was bearable in Chris' campaign and that's about it.

JoeFenix

I'd also wouldn't mind playing a COD game if it played anything like this. Please let us know which one is the most similar!

Ryuuga

Banned
Probably been repeated many times over in different ways, but it's safe to say that those who end up enjoying the game take the finer aspects of what is enjoyable about the game and overlook it's flaws, while those who are bothered by and focus on the games flaws are soured on the experience. Both camps will have to agree to disagree on whether this game is worth the time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Probably been repeated many times over in different ways, but it's safe to say that those who end up enjoying the game take the finer aspects of what is enjoyable about the game and overlook it's flaws, while those who are bothered by and focus on the games flaws are soured on the experience. Both camps will have to agree to disagree on whether this game is worth the time.

My problem is that those who enjoy the game say this is a great game when it's clearly not.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I have to say Resident Evil 6 sure takes the cake for most polarizing game across the board in the gaming community I have ever seen, even for its fan-base alone (and this is coming from the 4/5 era). It's absolutely stunning.

Top Bottom