• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sojgat

One change I would make to the controls if I was Capcom:

Remove the objective location from left bumper and make that the dedicated dodge button instead of needing 3 inputs to dodge.

Put the objective location to back or press in both sticks.

An input that cycles through the last 2 weapons used would be great as well.

Honestly,
Ada's
constant snark is starting to get to me. We get it, she's cooler than everybody else an doesn't have to exert as much effort to do stuff.

I like it. Makes you feel like you're in total control of the situation, as opposed to everyone else's "barely controllable chaos."

Neiteio

Thanks to the guys who explained the counters, sounds like you need to be really skilled to pull them off on purpose so I'm just going to stick to going 'Dayum that looked awesome' when I pull it off.

I've played the first two chapter of Chris and the first of Jake and I'm enjoying this so much more than from playing the demo. I think realising that Chris' chapters are not Gears of Evil has made a big difference to how much enjoyment I had out of his compared to the demo, and I can't help but feel that a lot of people will have made the same mistake as me. Stop and pop from cover is basically only for dealing with the Snipers, everyone else is just charge on in and Melee/Roll/Slide about to get stuff done.
Exactly. I even melee machine gun-toting foes. Dash at them, slide under their incoming fire, fire a headshot while sliding to daze them, then bash the hell out of them. Cover is just for taking out a turret-fortified foe or sniper, or quickly replenishing stamina. Use cover sparingly, and play the game more like Vanquish, always throwing yourself into the fray, always in the thick of the fight, and keep moving to throw off your enemy's ability to track you, I.E. slide past them and turn around on the ground mid-slide by tapping back on the analog, or roll in circles around them on the ground and release aim to immediately stand up behind them. BAM! Melee twice to daze, a third time to kill. So fun. :)

Also, a tip on the Strelats, those quadrapedal lizard-like BOWs -- melee them! Don't use your gun on them; just keep hitting them with melee attacks, from behind, and you'll get a finisher QTE that goes something like R1, then X, then Square. So fun to kill them this way.

Hobohodo

Exactly. I even melee machine gun-toting foes. Dash at them, slide under their incoming fire, fire a headshot while sliding to daze them, then bash the hell out of them.

Yeah, same for doing a slide attack where you have the knife out and Chris just hacks away at the enemies legs as he slides under. Love It.

I'm amazed that the game never had a proper tutorial. I know a lot of games don't need them these days but I really feel that Resi 6 should have. Feels like I had to do a lot of messing around for the first half hour or so of play to finally get all the controls down for pulling off the more acrobatic stuff.

Bollocks

You're saying the bug is avoidable by both people starting a game on the desired difficulty and then one of those players inviting the other?

Yep, just be sure to let it save.
After I did that I got the veteran medals just like the host.
Best of all, I didn't notice any spike in difficulty, so I feel really robbed that I only got medals for normal on the first 3 levels ._.

News Bot

Banned
Ada is more mysterious and a woman of few words in her original dialogue. It's the translators who feel the need to make her more "cool", but she just comes off as unlikable.

Sojgat

The super spy who for some reason almost never gets discovered even though she literally will give her full true name at the tip of a hat.

All the best ones do that though.

005869-120806-a-george-lazenby.jpg

Curufinwe

To add to this tip, twirl BOTH analog sticks -- it will will fill the QTE twice as fast. Impossible to lose a spinning QTE when you use both sticks.

That helped me with those QTEs in the Tutorial. But there seemed to be a delay from when I pressed RT to when it registered when I had to shoot the zombie in the
helicopter.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
On a possibly somewhat disturbing side note... RE6 version of her looks exactly like my first biology professor who was really attractive. Pretty weird/surreal to play through the campaign with someone looks so much like a person I know.

Though prof wasn't as flamboyant and she worse glasses. Also, pretty sure she wasn't a spy either, but I guess you never know.

News Bot

Banned
On a possibly somewhat disturbing side note... RE6 version of her looks exactly like my first biology professor who was really attractive. Pretty weird/surreal to play through the campaign with someone looks so much like a person I know.

Though prof wasn't as flamboyant and she worse glasses. Also, pretty sure she wasn't a spy either, but I guess you never know.

Ada did pose as a scientist! Close enough?

Ada is more mysterious and a woman of few words in her original dialogue. It's the translators who feel the need to make her more "cool", but she just comes off as unlikable.

Well she was mysterious to
Jake and Sherry (maybe even to Chris and Piers too?)
. Most of the time she was talking it was to herself, save for a few words to
Leon, Helena, and Simmons

Did Capcom really think it was a good idea to recycle the same
three key puzzle bullshit with the same annoying-ass enemy in ALL FOUR CAMPAIGNS?! It was bearable in Chris' campaign and that's about it.

agent hunt

PS: Speaking of which, a big fuck you to all the jake exploiters where no enemies spawn and they just farm hunters.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know, there's no conclusive evidence to say that is her real name, but it might as well be as she has been going by the name with everyone she encounters for at least the last 15 years.

Nothing against her character, I just find it funny how she will drop her name so easily. The worst case scenario for me was with Damnation, where she name drops herself as the first line of dialogue she speaks and the fact she name dropped herself gives her away to not be who she says she is (a BSAA agent, as they learn there is no person in the BSAA named Ada Wong).

All the best ones do that though.

005869-120806-a-george-lazenby.jpg

It all makes sense now.

News Bot

Banned
Well she was mysterious to
Jake and Sherry (maybe even to Chris and Piers too?)
. Most of the time she was talking it was to herself, save for a few words to
Leon, Helena, and Simmons

I was referring to when she interacts with people but constantly talking to herself was annoying too. She sounds mental.

I know, there's no conclusive evidence to say that is her real name, but it might as well be as she has been going by the name with everyone she encounters for at least the last 15 years.

Nothing against her character, I just find it funny how she will drop her name so easily. The worst case scenario for me was with Damnation, where she name drops herself as the first line of dialogue and the fact she name dropped herself gives her away to not be who she says she is.

It all makes sense now.

There is conclusive evidence to say it isn't her real name at least. It's outright stated to be an alias quite a few times. The only reason people call her by it is because that's all they know her by, as it's the only name she's used with them. What else are they gonna call her? Spy Lady? As for the spoiler;
She didn't care, and was probably hoping they'd realize she was a spy. It was her intention all along to get captured and get into the underground shelter.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There is conclusive evidence to say it isn't her real name at least. It's outright stated to be an alias quite a few times. The only reason people call her by it is because that's all they know her by, as it's the only name she's used with them. What else are they gonna call her? Spy Lady? As for the spoiler;
She didn't care, and was probably hoping they'd realize she was a spy. It was her intention all along to get captured and get into the underground shelter.

I'm aware she was trying to get into the lab and that was the easiest way to do so, but I just find it interesting how she uses the same name with so many different people. It could be argued that only the people we see she goes by that name with, as well as suspension of disbelief on behalf it is how us the audience knows her as. I want to clarify I don't think its a flaw, just something I always chuckle at whenever it happens. Similar to how I chuckle how in every appearance since RE4, Leon has to say always once, in the most uncaring robotic tone, 'Shoot them in the head.'

Astral

I can't tell if in some of these boss fights I have to actually damage the boss or just wait for the next scripted event to happen. For example, In Leon's Chapter 4 boss
when he's tearing up the train, I couldn't tell if shooting him was actually doing anything. He still ripped the whole thing apart and some cutscene happened.
I feel like I'm wasting ammo.

Bladenic

I can't tell if in some of these boss fights I have to actually damage the boss or just wait for the next scripted event to happen. For example, In Leon's Chapter 4 boss
when he's tearing up the train, I couldn't tell if shooting him was actually doing anything. He still ripped the whole thing apart and some cutscene happened.
I feel like I'm wasting ammo.

Yep, my biggest gripe with the game.

Replicant

Ada Wong.

Who's Ada Wong?

Related to Jake/Chris Chapter 5

Does the conversation between character when they are on platforms change depending on who you are with on the platform ? When I did the Jake's part I was with Sherry on the platform and he spoke about Chris and his father and Chris and Piers spoke about how Jake needed to know. When I did it in Chris' story I was with Sherry again and they started speaking about how he came to know Wesker's jake's father and that the outbreak is China is much worse than Raccoon City, and Piers and Jake speak about how killing Chris would've been bad for them.

Yes it is. I once got
Chris and Jake on the same platform and they basically had cold but respectful antagonism between them

Noi

WOW. Just finished the Rasklapanje section on Jake Chapter 5 with JoeFenix on Professional, we had Agent Hunt on and I just BARELY survived the encounter. I was on the floor counting down to recover with a Rasklapanje's upper body just barely missing me with his swipes and two hands jumping over me. It's the most tense moment I've had in the whole game and I loved it.
KuGsj.gif

RedSwirl

agent hunt

PS: Speaking of which, a big fuck you to all the jake exploiters where no enemies spawn and they just farm hunters.

So, another case of design that only makes sense in co-op? I don't understand why they can't just be like sensible developers and just make a co-op campaign alongside a singleplayer one. On the subject, how the hell does Gears do such a good job of making one campaign that's both singleplayer and co-op, without making the SP feel tacked-on? I guess it's because Epic doesn't design all the game mechanics primarily around co-op first.

Afrocious

WOW. Just finished the Rasklapanje section on Jake Chapter 5 with JoeFenix on Professional, we had Agent Hunt on and I just BARELY survived the encounter. I was on the floor counting down to recover with a Rasklapanje's upper body just barely missing me with his swipes and two hands jumping over me. It's the most tense moment I've had in the whole game and I loved it.
KuGsj.gif

That sounds awesome.

I need to step up from Veteran. I tried Professional with a random online. He was doing a better job at not getting hit than I was, but he was throwing bullets away like a madman.

Granted, I was playing on Jake Ch 3. First time through it to as Sherry and boy was that challenging. We disconnected because PSN. Ended up getting an S on Veteran solo as Sherry.

Sojgat

So, another case of design that only makes sense in co-op? I don't understand why they can't just be like sensible developers and just make a co-op campaign alongside a singleplayer one. On the subject, how the hell does Gears do such a good job of making one campaign that's both singleplayer and co-op, without making the SP feel tacked-on? I guess it's because Epic doesn't design all the game mechanics primarily around co-op first.

This. So many things RE6 does only shine under a specific set of circumstances. Ideas are great unless they have a detrimental impact on the gameplay. Lost Planet 2 does similar things, perfectly great game if you play under ideal conditions, i.e., with 3 other people who know what they're doing. If you play it by yourself the whole thing is just stupid.

mollipen

What's funny about how half of the people love it and the other half hate it is Capcom specifically set out to create like four games in one precisely to appease all the different tastes, yet it just led to even more differences in opinion, lol. Anyway, love this game, and really wish I was playing it right now instead of knocking out some office work.

From people I've talked to, their plan wasn't to make a game that would appeal to everybody–it was to present different options and see which one stuck the most. Maybe not the best idea, and that might not 100% be the truth, but that's what I've heard.

Of course, with the wildly varying opinions that are now out there about RE6, if that was their plan, it may have backfired. *heh*

JoeFenix

KuGsj.gif

This game has alot of potential for fun moments like this. That Jake chapter 4 "slide to shotgun blast" save on that human controlled J'avo was awesome!

Too bad it still ended in failure haha! Agent Hunt is definitely good times.

T.O.P

Banned
Done Leon 4 and like 2 hours of mercs

Leon's chapter was pretty good, batshit crazy as usualy, enjoyed especially the boss section...also, for a second i thought, wait what isn't 5 chapter for character? is this the end? then shit happens, i love it lol
Tomorrow Chris 4 and Jake's <3

First time into mercs, it feels so much better with the new gameplay, a lot less static then in 4 and 5, i had a lot of fun with some random dude online, got like three times at 135 and then we ran out of time, then i tried some other weapon sets but i think i'll stick with Chris for a while

btw it happened once and never again, this dude was playing Leon, donnow if rapid shot or something, fact is that this zombies reacted to the first hit (double-pistols) jumping in the air, then the next shots kept him floating without touching the ground (juggle in Tekken as an example)

is this some sort of glitch or what? because it was so fuckin badass lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Anyone have a face to face pic comparison of
Wesker and Jake?
I am not sure I see the resemblance.

Iresecia

Neo Member
So I've learned from RE6 that I shouldn't run my friends over with snowmobiles.

Also is there a good reason to go on RE.net? I don't think it's really been registering my stuff anyways.

Top Bottom