• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

News Bot

Banned
I wouldn't be so quick to judge it. We only have two lengthy demos, half the game available in desperate, publisher released video form and the negative impressions of others to go by. Wait until you play the final game to make a call on anything like this.

This would probably be somewhat amusing, despite being dosed with hyperbole, if I was referring to the game.

Bollocks

PSN pre-order is 70 euros which is 15 more than I have to pay at the store. I'd rather buy the disc, if I'm tired of it... can always sell it.

What? My PSN preorder is 60€
I contemplated since I expected 70 but I guess I'll buy it retail, if it's sold out I can just go to the store and dl it :)

Vire

Yeah

originally terrible mechanics

What other game has thumbs up mechanics as good as this!?

0193_wlqq6.gif

What's wrong with these things? I'd never defend QTE's though.

It's not that Cover is bad in games, it's how it's implemented. The controls are incredibly clunky and awkward. Definitely one of the worst cover systems I've ever encountered.

The HUD looks like a bad Dead Space ripoff. They copied the vibe but totally ignored why it was great in the first place. (Elegance and lightweight factor)

Run and gun shooting does not belong in Resident Evil...

Tell that to everyone that complained about it not being in 5, and then proclaimed Dead Space as superior survival horror because it had it.

Yep. People asked for it. Anyway, it makes sense-- characters like Chris Redfield damn well ought to be able to walk and shoot at the same time.

I don't think Dead space is really that much of a survival horror but I wouldn't call it a Run n gun either. Seeing as how you have to specifically shoot of their limbs or they won't die.

It doesn't bother me if Resident Evil is Survival Horror or an Action game, I loved both RE4 and RE5, I just want a game that controls as tightly as the Dead space games.

Finally finished the demo, loved the Leon section thought the Sherry/Jake section was OK and could really do without Chris's section. At least based off this demo, Chris's part felt a bit too far from the action/horror theme the series has been heading since 4, and too much like a third person military shooter. I will say at least the BOW's are nasty looking, which is an improvement over 4 and 5's mostly human looking enemies. I still don't see why they did not just make the entire game like Leon's section and add in both classic enemies like lickers and hunters along with the new Chrysalis monsters and divide the game up into different sections of the Tall Oaks town.

Yep. People asked for it. Anyway, it makes sense-- characters like Chris Redfield damn well ought to be able to walk and shoot at the same time.

But then we have Leon being unable to advance because a chair is blocking his path

it's like that part in MGS1 where Snake can't jump 5 feet down in the Comm Tower

Taking a gamble on this because at the very least it should provide a good amount of co-op fun, guess I'm part of the problem. Judging by the demo I'll enjoy at least one third of the game so that's um...

Teknoman

Finally finished the demo, loved the Leon section thought the Sherry/Jake section was OK and could really do without Chris's section. At least based off this demo, Chris's part felt a bit too far from the action/horror theme the series has been heading since 4, and too much like a third person military shooter. I will say at least the BOW's are nasty looking, which is an improvement over 4 and 5's mostly human looking enemies. I still don't see why they did not just make the entire game like Leon's section and add in both classic enemies like lickers and hunters along with the new Chrysalis monsters and divide the game up into different sections of the Tall Oaks town.

That would have been great.

ErikB

Banned
I'd never defend QTE's though.

RE4 did a lot to popularise QTEs anyway, so it isn't really copycat anything there. And if you like QTEs (I assume SOMEONE does) the ones in 6 are actually quite interesting - just adding the little marker that you have to race to the end is a new thing isn't it? I know I am constantly trying to beat the line by more each time when stabbing the horn thing in to the giant B.O.W. by mashing X. And my X mashing skillz have increased immeasurably!

george_us

In general, Resident Evil 5 is one of my most played games and favorites this gen.
Yet, it was considered as shit by many and a disgrace to the Resident Evil name. From the looks of it, guess '6' will be even better than '5'...to me. :p
5 isn't even a bad game. On the contrary, it's a very good game. It just had the unfortunate honor of following one of the best games ever made and one that almost single-handily setting the standard for future set piece driven games. If the demo is anything to go by, RE6 won't even be a good game. Felt very weird and awkward.

Teknoman

Does ErikB work for Capcom or is he always this annoying?

Definitely one of those, one is in question.

He does have a point about the QTEs though. Shenmue and Die Hard Arcade started em, RE4 made them seem like Capcom was trying to go "the extra mile" to make cutscenes interactive (I dont remember people complaining about them back then either), and then God of War made them a staple in action games.

I honestly dont think they'll go away any time soon...

Replicant

Tell that to everyone that complained about it not being in 5, and then proclaimed Dead Space as superior survival horror because it had it.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 has no run/gun mechanic. It has walk and shoot + evade mechanic and a very effective one at that. Run/gun shooting is something that series like Uncharted has and they perfected that in UC3 because that installment actually encourage you to run/gun and melee your opponent more than hiding behind cover. Unless, of course, you're playing on Crushing. In that case you may want to hide every now and then to recover health.

RE6 seems to try to merge the mechanics of both UC3 and DS2 but the result is questionable at best.

raven777

some review scores are surprisingly positive. I thought it was going to be bashed like 4s and 5s.

Hopefully this means the full game is actually better than that demo.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't know if this is true with other players besides Sherry... but I just noticed you have more than just the one vanilla melee.

Normally when you run up to someone and hit R1 you have the basic melee... some can do a small combo.

But if you face away from them and hit R1 she does a cool backwards kick. She attacks in the direction the camera is facing instead of the direction the character is facing.

Pretty neat. Before I was trying to "face" every enemy to melee them, but now I realize you can just aim the camera at them and still connect with a melee. :)

Edit: cool combo with the stun rod... do the normal R1 melee kick (when you have stun rod) and then down on the analog and quickly R1 to follow up with a spin kick... finish with the stun rod when they're on th ground. looks awesome.

The HUD looks like a bad Dead Space ripoff. They copied the vibe but totally ignored why it was great in the first place. (Elegance and lightweight factor)
Which one is the Dead Space ripoff, cause I'm just as confused by what they're trying to do to begin with...

This one?
med_RESIDENT_EVIL_6_picture_3rd_release_1006_for_360_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

This one?
re6-mark-109-003.jpg

Or this one?
Hud_resi_6.jpg

I know you mean the last, AKA, Leon's. I just don't understand why they even went to this length to make everything as unclear as possible.

This game confuses me so much! Both demos were a mess that were way below main RE titles, yet they grew on me. I'm not excited, yet I can't look away. **shrugs**

News Bot

Banned
Dead Space and Dead Space 2 has no run/gun mechanic. It has walk and shoot + evade mechanic and a very effective one at that. Run/gun shooting is something that series like Uncharted has and they perfected that in UC3 because that installment actually encourage you to run/gun and melee your opponent more than hiding behind cover. Unless, of course, you're playing on Crushing. In that case you may want to hide every now and then to recover health.

RE6 seems to try to merge the mechanics of both UC3 and DS2 but the result is questionable at best.

RE6 has no run and gun mechanic either. It is walk and shoot + evade, though most people would not be familiar with the evasion aspects of the controls without toying with them for a while. At no point in 6 do you shoot while running. You walk slower than any other movement in the game.

Daigoro

wow, three post OP w/suitably terrible subtitle. how appropriate. GAF wouldnt have it any other way.

15+ pages in the first day. away we go.

Astral

The Lone Wolf skill sounds awesome, though it's weird that you'll probably only see your partner in cutscenes or something.

Curufinwe

Uncharted 3 did not perfect anything. It was less fun, less polished and more annoying than the second game. And it released with busted aiming that had to be patched.

You can criticize RE 6 without rewriting history.

antitrop

It's small, but I really like that environmental interactions with the melee attacks are contextual.

bloated game. how fitting
Ya, I don't even know what that means. For someone who is negative on the game I can think of a lot of colorful adjective to describe it, but I'm not sure how 'bloated' fits into that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's small, but I really like that environmental interactions with the melee attacks are contextual.

Ya, I don't even know what that means. For someone who is negative on the game I can think of a lot of colorful adjective to describe it, but I'm not sure how 'bloated' fits into that.
Four separate campaigns is pretty bloated.

News Bot

Banned
The Lone Wolf skill sounds awesome, though it's weird that you'll probably only see your partner in cutscenes or something.

I think your partner still hangs out with you (because you can't progress without them). Lone Wolf only stops them from healing you when you're down and such.

ErikB

Banned
Felt very weird and awkward.

FWIW, I, and and what I perceive to be a growing number of other people, think that some/most/all of the awkwardness is not because the game is bad, but because it takes a while to get used to.

I think that once you get used to it the mechanics show a lot of depth in what they allow you to do and work pretty damn well when you get the hang of them.

I suggest sticking with it. See if there is anything there you think you could, with practice, get used to.

--

I guess a lot of it is that they really haven't gone for the 'safe' option here. The have taken risks in a lot of stuff, from the mechanics to the camera positions to making a game three times the length of what you would expect, they have really tried to do new and interesting stuff.

Now, I guess since I think it has paid off and works remarkably well it is easy for me to say this, but I dunno. This is what Change looks like.

--

I don't know if this is true with other players besides Sherry... but I just noticed you have more than just the one vanilla melee.

Normally when you run up to someone and hit R1 you have the basic melee... some can do a small combo.

But if you face away from them and hit R1 she does a cool backwards kick. She attacks in the direction the camera is facing instead of the direction the character is facing.

Chris does a... back elbow thingy I think. There really is a whole lot of stuff to discover in the controls. Someone was talking about dodge cancelling with Jake?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Chris does a... back elbow thingy I think. There really is a whole lot of stuff to discover in the controls. Someone was talking about dodge cancelling with Jake?

I need to figure out how I did his falcon punch. I did it twice by accident. And a few times I picked a guy up by his feet and flung him -- once into a wall and his head exploded.

When I saw that I was like... "Chris Motherfucking Redfield!"

Will buy to play as the superior Leon S Kennedy (I played RE4 way too much on the GC), he is the best player character, would have preferred the whole game be about him.

His section is just as long as a typical TPS so in a way you have a whole game about it. Plus two others. And another bonus.

Will buy to play as the superior Leon S Kennedy (I played RE4 way too much on the GC), he is the best player character, would have preferred the whole game be about him.

Nemesis_

wow, three post OP w/suitably terrible subtitle. how appropriate. GAF wouldnt have it any other way.

15+ pages in the first day. away we go.

a bloated op for a bloated game. how fitting

I have already spoken to Duckroll about this and he has provided a post on the first page.

No need to fight over the format of an OT in here. If you have ideas about how OTs should be and want to discuss that sort of stuff (which is encouraged since it's a community activity), it can be discussed in the |OT| thread in Community. Let's not derail an actual thread over silly stuff like that. :)

For what it's worth, I am very busy right now and have little to no time to update things as much as I would like. I will condense the OT and remove some irrelevant information following launch, including the Variants and SKUs section and attempt to mainstream it a bit more.

As I said I am not sure why GAF is so up in arms about this considering the OT for the last mainline RE title was 26 posts long and hardly anyone seemed to complain.

More people in this thread are happy with the thread, though three select people on Twitter have seen fit to complain.

I mean what's the problem now - it's easy to skip past the OT as we are well past the first five pages of the thread already.

As I said I will edit it once the game comes out as until then I am too busy and I don't want to just butcher and delete things without making it feel incomplete uncohesive.

Top Bottom