• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Akainu

0193_wlqq6.gif

I thought this was a joke before I played the demo this afternoon. XD

Gbraga

I don't know if this is true with other players besides Sherry... but I just noticed you have more than just the one vanilla melee.

Normally when you run up to someone and hit R1 you have the basic melee... some can do a small combo.

But if you face away from them and hit R1 she does a cool backwards kick. She attacks in the direction the camera is facing instead of the direction the character is facing.

Pretty neat. Before I was trying to "face" every enemy to melee them, but now I realize you can just aim the camera at them and still connect with a melee. :)

Edit: cool combo with the stun rod... do the normal R1 melee kick (when you have stun rod) and then down on the analog and quickly R1 to follow up with a spin kick... finish with the stun rod when they're on th ground. looks awesome.

All characters can do that backwards kick/elbow, but it costs 1 stamina bar.

I didn't know about the stun rod combo though, I didn't even know you could manually chose what would be the followup for your combo by pressing a direction with the analog. Great find.

Replicant

Uncharted 3 did not perfect anything. It was less fun, less polished and more annoying than the second game. And it released with busted aiming that had to be patched.

You can criticize RE 6 without rewriting history.

Eh, which part of that rewriting the history? The run/gun aspect of UC3's mechanic was fine. You do understand what run/gun in UC3 is about, right? It's the one where you just press trigger button and run. It has no precise aiming so it wasn't problematic in the first place. As long as you run in diagonal position to your enemy, you'll usually hit the target or stagger them so you can push forward with melee. That was fun. At least on Normal it was a lot more fun than hiding behind the cover trying to shoot with the normal shooting mechanic.

It's the normal shooting mechanic that was borked and that was definitely caused problem which had to be patched. But at least it was patched. I wish I can say the same thing about RE6's camera, which according to report still the same in the final version.

Mind you, I am not defending UC3. If you browse UC3 thread, you'll see me as one of the people who asked for the aiming to be fixed even though I ended up finishing the normal version without the patch. It'd have been a nightmare to finish Crushing without the patch though.

Ken

Well, I pre-ordered the game. Can't say I care much for the single player but I'm pretty excited about some more Mercenaries.

I find sliding, dodging/ground gunplay, and melee perfectly fine, and they aren't something most other shooters offer. Cover can be a little iffy but it's pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Max Payne 3 did the sliding and dodging infinity times better and the melee is a downgrade from RE4 and RE5.

Gbraga

Chris does a... back elbow thingy I think. There really is a whole lot of stuff to discover in the controls. Someone was talking about dodge cancelling with Jake?

That would be me. If you aim and hold R1, he'll do a Jaguar Dash/Cobra Strike, if you cancel it (before or after the hit) with a side roll or a backflip (back roll during this move), he'll imediately do another one. You can see it better in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0Fr7OJDco

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
All characters can do that backwards kick/elbow, but it costs 1 stamina bar.

I didn't know about the stun rod combo though, I didn't even know you could manually chose what would be the followup for your combo by pressing a direction with the analog. Great find.

It's not a "real" combo... and pulling it off is actually tricky. It worked a bunch of times and I made the post... and then of course I've had trouble pulling it off since. lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Space and Dead Space 2 has no run/gun mechanic. It has walk and shoot + evade mechanic and a very effective one at that. Run/gun shooting is something that series like Uncharted has and they perfected that in UC3 because that installment actually encourage you to run/gun and melee your opponent more than hiding behind cover. Unless, of course, you're playing on Crushing. In that case you may want to hide every now and then to recover health.

RE6 seems to try to merge the mechanics of both UC3 and DS2 but the result is questionable at best.

Let's not hold Uncharted 3 up as a bastion of shooting mechanics because that game is one of the worst shooters I've played.

Well, maybe not worst, but if people are going to use that kind of language for RE6 I figured why not. I beat that game on Crushing and it was the most miserable time of my life. First of all they had to patch the freaking aiming because it didn't register diagonals, which was a pain in the ass. And secondly, the encounter design was just terrible from start to finish. Their idea of "challenge" is pinning you down with snipers and RPGs and turrets, and then sending dudes with grenades and shotguns to flank you. That's not challenge, that's pure torture. And then as if that wasn't enough, they start putting you up against enemies that can teleport behind you while you're in cover and kill you in 3 seconds flat.

No, Uncharted 3 is not a good game.

rhino4evr

So I just played the Leon section. I liked it. Not nearly as cool as the beginning of RE4, but fun anyway.

So are the other campaigns the real problem here? Guess ill figure it out myself

Gbraga

It's not a "real" combo... and pulling it off is actually tricky. It worked a bunch of times and I made the post... and then of course I've had trouble pulling it off since. lol

Still, it's pretty cool that you can choose the move you want as your second hit of the R1 chain by pressing down.

It's just down or neutral? Does it have an up followup as well?

lantus

I find it funny, as displeased as people are with the demo, I'm sure majority of them will still get the game including myself. Maybe it's denial, but I don't want to believe that the whole game will be like the demo. So I must play the final game to see the fate of my beloved franchise.

This game confuses me so much! Both demos were a mess that were way below main RE titles, yet they grew on me. I'm not excited, yet I can't look away. **shrugs**

This is not confusing this is how it is with EVERYONE. Well everyone that is going to enjoy the game, some people just dont like it.

Replicant

Let's not hold Uncharted 3 up as a bastion of shooting mechanics because that game is one of the worst shooters I've played.

Well, maybe not worst, but if people are going to use that kind of language for RE6 I figured why not. I beat that game on Crushing and it was the most miserable time of my life. First of all they had to patch the freaking aiming because it didn't register diagonals, which was a pain in the ass. And secondly, the encounter design was just terrible from start to finish. Their idea of "challenge" is pinning you down with snipers and RPGs and turrets, and then sending dudes with grenades and shotguns to flank you. That's not challenge, that's pure torture. And then as if that wasn't enough, they start putting you up against enemies that can teleport behind you while you're in cover and kill you in 3 seconds flat.

Hahahaha. The bowels of the ship? I can't remember the amount of temper tantrums I threw with that area on Crushing. But in general, I felt that UC3 crushing is quite easy (in comparison to UC2 crushing) except for that bowel of the ship area and later on, the airplane dock.

It remains to be seen how bad is RE6 in comparison to UC3 but I'll take the sticky aiming over dizzying FOV at the moment. I can do without the enemy gangbang of UC (any installment) though.

I find it funny, as displeased as people are with the demo, I'm sure majority of them will still get the game including myself. Maybe it's denial, but I don't want to believe that the whole game will be like the demo. So I must play the final game to see the fate of my beloved franchise.

It's the character design. Or the character themselves. If this had been some generic character that I don't know well (ie. DD protagonist), I wouldn't have bothered buying the game.

Daigoro

I have already spoken to Duckroll about this and he has provided a post on the first page.

just putting in my 2 cents. believe me ive looked at it for the last time. im not losing sleep over it.

im already buying the game. i dont need all the bullet points shoved down my throat. just saying.

Evolved1

Still, it's pretty cool that you can choose the move you want as your second hit of the R1 chain by pressing down.

It's just down or neutral? Does it have an up followup as well?

No you can lead with it... but it usually knocks them down if you do it first. (guess that's not a bad thing but then it's not really a combo haha)

It works with the pistol too (any melee actually) you land a melee and then press down to face your character away (toward you) and then the next melee attack will be their back attack (I guess all of them have one) and it seems to be a more powerful attack that can knock down multiple guys.

I like the stun rod cause it's usually a OHK when they're on the ground. Knife would probably do the same thing.

Another thing... if you see a zombie with a weapon, I noticed sliding into them will turn them around, giving you a free contextual kill with their own weapon.

Gbraga

No you can lead with it... but it usually knocks them down if you do it first.

It works with the pistol too (any melee actually) you land a melee and then press down to face your character away (toward you) and then the next melee attack will be their back attack (I guess all of them have one) and it seems to be a more powerful attack that can knock down multiple guys.

I like the stun rod cause it's usually a OHK when they're on the ground. Knife would probably do the same thing.

Another thing... if you see a zombie with a weapon, I noticed sliding into them will turn them around, giving you a free contextual kill with their own weapon.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH now I get you. I thought you were talking about the second hit of the R1 chain (R1, R1), that costs a stamina bar and has a different animation, that's what you meant by "not a real combo".

I see, it sounds like it would be cool, I'll try it tomorrow.

I also like how you can do the quick weapon-switch after a sniper rifle shot to cancel the "recharging" (I have no idea of how that's actually called) animation, brings back CS memories :3

lantus

This is not confusing this is how it is with EVERYONE. Well everyone that is going to enjoy the game, some people just dont like it.

You have to admit though, the demo's first impression wasn't what you were expecting. Sure it can grow on you the more you play it, but how many games this generation do you give as much of a chance as this? I mean majority of us playing this demo REALLY want to love this game, so I think that gives us a pretty big inclination to overlook things.

This thread continues to blow my mind.

I have to assume some of you dont actually play bad games. The real bad games, the ones where things dont work, level design is so basic it makes COD look like RE4. Uncharted 3, RE5, Gears, Dead Space, hell even the COD games are all really great games. We are so spoiled.

Evolved1

You can also press R3 to change your hand to do even faster sniper shooting. Interesting.

I hope they fix that exploit. Weapons switching seems like something that fits into the past RE quirks... but the side switch cancel is kind of serious bullshit imo.

It will be abused to hell in VS and other modes.

lantus

Playing Uncharted on it's highest difficulty is definitely not the way to get the most out of the experience. While I'll agree Uncharted 3 definitely isn't as good as Uncharted 2, saying it's not a good game is certainly blowing things out of proportion.

You have to admit though, the demo's first impression wasn't what you were expecting. Sure it can grow on you the more you play it, but how many games this generation do you give as much of a chance as this? I mean majority of us playing this demo REALLY want to love this game, so I think that gives us a pretty big inclination to overlook things.

Giving something a chance does not mean you are trying to find ways to enjoy it. It has a tougher learning curve than most games mainly cause of the unorthodox controls. Not liking the controls is a fine valid complaint. Personally I have never had issues with control schemes, I grew up playing and loving RE tank controls. I love all MGS games even though you have to hold like 3 buttons to aim and shoot. To me its all about the gameplay, the action, and as long as the weird controls work as they are intended I will get used to it. Some people aren't like that, we are all different.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I have to assume some of you dont actually play bad games. The real bad games, the ones where things dont work, level design is so basic it makes COD look like RE4. Uncharted 3, RE5, Gears, Dead Space, hell even the COD games are all really great games. We are so spoiled.
Most games are bad. There are varying degrees of bad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm not really sure how UC got brought up here but I also think 3 is a bad game. It has production values up the ass but I was consistently frustrated by the poorly designed encounters that littered the game.

I hope they fix that exploit. Weapons switching seems like something that fits into the past RE quirks... but the side switch cancel is kind of serious bullshit imo.

Yep. Hell I dont like the Jake cancel, you can spam that forever almost. As cool as all these moves are we will find some big time unbalanced stuff.

rhino4evr

I love it when people play the hardest difficulty in the game and call it cheap and torturous. Well DUH! That's why it's the hardest difficulty in the game! That doesn't make it a bad game, It just makes you an idiot for biting off more then you can chew.

Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as part 2, but it still had some incredible moments and gameplay.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahaha. The bowels of the ship? I can't remember the amount of temper tantrums I threw with that area on Crushing. But in general, I felt that UC3 crushing is quite easy (in comparison to UC2 crushing) except for that bowel of the ship area and later on, the airplane dock.

You know, I thought the ship would give me trouble but I actually got through that on my first try. The parts that really annoyed me were the ship graveyard fight and everything from the caravan on. I literally held the disc in my hand after failing the horseback part like 10 times in a row and debated whether or not to snap it in half.

Overall the game wasn't hard, but certain parts were extremely painful. The difficulty curve in that game is completely whacked.

Gbraga

You have a point, I wasn't thinking about competitive modes because I really don't play them, but it would be pretty broken.

I hope the weapon switching stays though.

Gameboy415

I'm so damn hyped!

I've been on a media blackout since the first few trailers and skipped out on the demo as well.
I just finished going through the HD port of RE4 on PS3 (which makes it the fourth console I've completed it on!) earlier this evening and I'm excited for the return of Leon & Ada.

RE: Damnation (the new CG film) bridges RE5 & RE6, right?
I need to see if I can pick it up/watch it over the weekend.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love it when people play the hardest difficulty in the game and call it cheap and torturous. Well DUH! That's why it's the hardest difficulty in the game! That doesn't make it a bad game, It just makes you an idiot for biting off more then you can chew.

Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as part 2, but it still had some incredible moments and gameplay.

Halo is a game that gives great value for the higher difficulties. Tons of varied encounters and really good AI.

A game being cheap as hell on the hardest difficulty deserves flack, because it's lazy. You can make difficult games fun without resorting to simply cranking the AI accuracy and damage up.

News Bot

Banned
RE: Damnation (the new CG film) bridges RE5 & RE6, right?
I need to see if I can pick it up/watch it over the weekend.

It doesn't really bridge them as it doesn't reference the events of either, but it's a damn entertaining movie. Better than Degeneration and every single live-action film.

Gbraga

Yep. Hell I dont like the Jake cancel, you can spam that forever almost. As cool as all these moves are we will find some big time unbalanced stuff.
The Jake dodge cancel is not unbalanced at all. The only way to do it without costing meter would be to loop the Cobra Strike cancelling it with the roll. But when you hit the Cobra Strike, the enemy gets knocked down, and if you do another one on a knoced down enemy, he'll do a kickflip, and that costs stamina, so the only way of spamming it for free would be against a big crowd of enemies, hitting one at a time, but you wouldn't kill them, and there would be a chance that some of them would start mutating, so it's really not unbalanced for VS mode.

It doesn't really bridge them as it doesn't reference the events of either, but it's a damn entertaining movie. Better than Degeneration and every single live-action film.

Yeah its pretty cool. The ending action scene is worth the movie IMO. Man I miss classic BOWs.

Top Bottom