• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I love it when people play the hardest difficulty in the game and call it cheap and torturous. Well DUH! That's why it's the hardest difficulty in the game! That doesn't make it a bad game, It just makes you an idiot for biting off more then you can chew.

Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as part 2, but it still had some incredible moments and gameplay.

FYI my first run through the game was on Normal and I hated the everliving fuck out of it.

And Uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time, so you can imagine how many chances I gave U3 before I gave up on it.

The Jake dodge cancel is not unbalanced at all. The only way to do it without costing meter would be to loop the Cobra Strike cancelling it with the roll. But when you hit the Cobra Strike, the enemy gets knocked down, and if you do another one on a knoced down enemy, he'll do a kickflip, and that costs stamina, so the only way of spamming it for free would be against a big crowd of enemies, hitting one at a time, but you wouldn't kill them, and there would be a chance that some of them would start mutating, so it's really not unbalanced for VS mode.

But you can simply use herb to refill the bar. I am talking about what you did in that video, you practically broke the boss fight.

EDIT: Woah what is in that review box?

ErikB

Banned
I hope they fix that exploit. Weapons switching seems like something that fits into the past RE quirks... but the side switch cancel is kind of serious bullshit imo.

It will be abused to hell in VS and other modes.

I think it feels pretty good though. They should add a new gun balanced around doing it so I can continue.

ironcreed

Banned
Three new reviews, one of these have scans but those aren't allowed here.

Play Magazine (UK) gives it an 8.8/10.

OPM NL/BE gives it an 8/10

NAG Magazine gives it a 58/100

Some details:

Play says:
Issue 223, which goes on sale on Thursday and has begun reaching subscribers, carries a six-page review of Capcom's survival-horror and describes it "as a Resident Evil worthy of modern times."

"This is arguably the best co-op game available on PS3 alongside Borderlands 2," says Play.

The review details each individual section - describing Leon's as "the sort of action that would never have been possible with the old Resident Evil framework" and Jake's as "host to Capcom's more ambitious ideas", while Chris' section is held up as the weakest. Ada Wong's campaign is described as "a surprisingly generous addition".

"While long-term Resident Evil fans might still be disappointed by the nod towards action over horror, Capcom finally has the confidence and know-how to pull it off. It's big, it's brutal, it's ballsy and most of all, it's back," Play conclude.

NAG says:
"This is more than just an average action game or a shameful Resident Evil; this is a prime example of what is so wrong with the big publisher, AAA mentality in this industry. RE6 does nothing but take the piss out of the customers who either expect it to be another excellent Resi game because of its title, or a sweet action game because of its visuals. Resident Evil 6 is neither.

+Looks incredible
+Leon's campaign is only half-bad
+Cool multiplayer Modes

-Lacking narrative
-Poorly implemented copycat game mechanics
-This is no Resident Evil"

REVIEW TALLY THUS FAR:
OPM Italy: 9/10
OPM US: 9/10
Play Magazine (Uk): 8.8/10
Maniac! Magazine (Germany): 8.8/10
OPM NL/BE: 8/10
LEVEL Magazine (Sweden): 7/10
NAG: 58/100

Looking good for the most part, but I think that 58/100 illustrates what is to come in terms of this being one of those games that will be so polarizing that we see extremes on both ends of the scoring spectrum. It is going to be all over the place with people who hate it viciously, some that think it's just OK, and others still who love the hell out of it. I expect the average to probably land somewhere in the 70's when the dust settles and it's all balanced out.

rhino4evr

Halo is a game that gives great value for the higher difficulties. Tons of varied encounters and really good AI.

A game being cheap as hell on the hardest difficulty deserves flack, because it's lazy. You can make difficult games fun without resorting to simply cranking the AI accuracy and damage up.

I would definitely agree that it's the cheap way out, however the majority of games do this. Crushing is supposed to be just that Crushing. Unfair and ridiculous. Yet, lots of people were able to finish it with no problem. There were definitely a few cheap/difficult moments in Uncharted 3, but that's because they basically required a linear action. They felt almost like puzzles to Me. You had to take certain enemies out In the most logical order to proceed. It was a lot more strategic then people give it credit for.

Gbraga

But you can simply use herb to refill the bar. I am talking about what you did in that video, you practically broke the boss fight.

The video isn't mine actually, I only played the public demo, but I did find that out by myself so I'll take the credits thank you. lol

But even though it does break the boss fight, how many people actually knew about this? I honestly didn't see a single one I talked with about it that already knew. The way I see it, even though it does break the boss fight, it's a nice reward for exploring the combat, you'll get to beat the boss getting no damage if you explore the combat enough to find out that you can dodge cancel the cobra strike chain.

When you read people's impressions on the demo and all they have to say is about the cover system, you know most people won't ever use this.

rhino4evr

FYI my first run through the game was on Normal and I hated the everliving fuck out of it.

And Uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time, so you can imagine how many chances I gave U3 before I gave up on it.

Uncharted 2 was also in my top 5 games of all time, so I was a bit disappointed In 3, but it didn't hate anything about it...well except for no unlock able cheats.

I played the demo on with all 3 different characters and I did not enjoy it. I had heard prior to playing that there was an "action" path, a stealth/survival horror/kinda classic RE path, and a mix of both path. What I found was that the action path was too poor compared modern, good TPS shooters like Gears and Uncharted, the stealth path wasn't stealthy or horror at all, and the mix felt like it was more action than mix anyways. I didn't run out of ammo once.

Passing on this like I passed on RE5. I just want RE 1 - 4 remade in HD, but don't mess with making it more action and I'm good to go.

Neiteio

Welp, just spoiled myself on a sequence where one of the female characters stealths around in a skimpy patient's gown that basically shows everything when you roll. Barefoot too, if you're into that sorta thing.

All I gotta say is

2R0

olimpia84

I got my Kirby Collection game from Newegg after 7 days so I'm hoping they ship this game a little bit faster when released. The Newegg copy should come with the DLC codes as preorder bonus right?

Gbraga

Welp, just spoiled myself on a sequence where one of the female characters stealths around in a skimpy patient's gown that basically shows everything when you roll. Barefoot too, if you're into that sorta thing.

All I gotta say is

2R0

Any major spoilers there or just that scene? I'm curious lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I find the QTE/Button Prompt crap bizarre because one of the game's producers, while playing the game at Comic-Con, fucking outright stated he hates QTEs. WHY PUT THEM IN THENNNN

You know I was actually pretty tense during that QTE. I didn't know you couldn't fail it but I was nervous as heck because I wanted to find the key really fast before zombies burst in.

I think it's effective at ratcheting up tension.

Lucent

I got my Kirby Collection game from Newegg after 7 days so I'm hoping they ship this game a little bit faster when released. The Newegg copy should come with the DLC codes as preorder bonus right?

Newegg, from my experience, generally never has pre-order bonuses. The pre-order bonuses for RE6 are DLC maps for mercenaries mode and there is one specific map for each of the three retailers doing it. Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy.

This thread continues to blow my mind.

I have to assume some of you dont actually play bad games. The real bad games, the ones where things dont work, level design is so basic it makes COD look like RE4. Uncharted 3, RE5, Gears, Dead Space, hell even the COD games are all really great games. We are so spoiled.

In your opinion. Uncharted 3 was bad IMO. I really dislike what they did to the combat mechanics. Gears is "okay", and CoD has been mediocre to bad since CoD4. Haven't played Dead Space, so whatever. As for RE6, well let's just say I haven't seen one piece of footage (and I've watched a LOT) to convince me that this will be anything more than an "okay" experience. Throwing words like "great" and "9/10" scores for every other game is what got this generation to where it is now: Boring, homogenous, and brainless.

Teknoman

You know I was actually pretty tense during that QTE. I didn't know you couldn't fail it but I was nervous as heck because I wanted to find the key really fast before zombies burst in.

I think it's effective at ratcheting up tension.

This. Are people only complaining about it because they dont think its necessary since you cant fail it?

EDIT: Had no idea that Uncharted 3 didnt register diagonals. Never had any problems shooting what I wanted during launch week.

Top Bottom