• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Just beat the 4th campaign.
I was a little mad that Ada's ending doesn't actually have Ada in it, but it shows that Jake is probably the future of Resident Evil, which I love!

Neiteio

Wow, Chris chapter 3 was fantastic!

Yeah, lots of over the top "Uncharted" moments, but it was still a blast to play.
I honestly think the
giant invisible snake
is one of the coolest boss sequences (including the build-up) in series history. It just hit all the right notes with me. :)

ironcreed

Banned
I recently wrote up an article about the shitty camera in RE6. It's here.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/resident-evil-6/originals/nitpick-camera-is-king

Tell me what yall think of it.

Good read and lol at the end. I feel much the same way, and while RE4 and RE5 by no means have a perfect camera, at least they did not flip out erratically so much in critical situations, like you mentioned in your article. It was more controlled and felt more polished on the whole, despite being archaic by some of today's standards.

branny

Okay, finally finished off the three main campaigns yesterday for the first time. Doing the not-so-secret one now. Some thoughts:

-I don't know how I'd rate them. There were an equal amount of highs and lows in all three. If I had to choose right now without processing it some more and replaying everything on harder difficulties, it'd probably go something like Chris > Leon = Jake. IDK. I was expecting it to be easier to rank them going into the game, but I guess that ended up not being the case for me. Each campaign offers different things.

-Thinking back about each chapter, the game is quite memorable (for better or worse). There is rarely a dull moment, and a lot of stuff happens in each chapter.

-I genuinely feel sorry for people who can't get a handle on the controls or the camera or whatever because the combat in the game is really good. If this weren't the case, I doubt my opinion of RE6 would be positive at all. I love how capable you are, and I like how enemies are varied and relentless. There's plenty of depth here for people who want to take the game seriously and all sorts of little tricks to resource management and handling different situations.

-I'm not sure what to think of bosses. I vastly prefer games like Monster Hunter where fights flow more organically and don't need to be broken up with so much scripting. Some of the boss encounters in RE6 also feel like they drag longer than they should. That said, I think some of the more persistent enemies make sense, and I'd much rather bosses feel like serious business instead of something barely above a fodder enemy.

-As ridiculous and intrusive as the cutscenes are, they are usually quite entertaining. Suspension of disbelief goes a long way with a series now filled with action figure protagonists. I found the variety of locales you visit to also be very pleasing.

-You'll have the most fun with the game once you know what you're supposed to do. The trial and error process of figuring things out could probably apply to every obnoxious portion of the game. I think RE6 rewards patient players willing to learn the ins and outs of its mechanics and willing to forgive any bad first impressions brought about by its initially unclear or cheap goals.

-I've been taking breaks from RE6 with RE4 HD every now and then. I'm finding some things not quite as different as I remembered and, quite frankly, really hard to go back to.

Lucentto

Banned
I don't usually like to hate on people playing the game, but damn are people horrible at mercenaries. I played with like 5 different people and all died several times on me. Is this game too hard for people or something?

Noi

I don't usually like to hate on people playing the game, but damn are people horrible at mercenaries. I played with like 5 different people and all died several times on me. Is this game too hard for people or something?

Considering some of the people I've killed in Agent Hunt on Amateur, yes.

Noi

Is any way to know what difficulty level is ppl playing when on Agent Hunt? Aside for the fact that you need to hit a guy dozens of times before killing him?

Not that I'm aware of. I usually figure it out from both how much damage I'm doing and how easily they can destroy me in one or two shots.

Again, why no game list Capcom.

So is this only a 1 disc game on Xbox 360??

I just Redbox'd it, and it only gave me one =/

Only one, the other one is for additional languages. (I think)

Not that I'm aware of. I usually figure it out from both how much damage I'm doing and how easily they can destroy me in one or two shots.

Again, why no game list Capcom.

Yeah, Agent Hunt options are very barebones..., I wish the matchmaking was "smart" enough to avoid getting you into games with ppl that is about to finish the zone...

Is there any RE fan out there who has started the series from the beggaining, prefers the classic RE, still enjoys current RE, likes the story and characters AND likes RE6. Sometimes reading this topic I feel so alone.

Is there any RE fan out there who has started the series from the beggaining, prefers the classic RE, still enjoys current RE, likes the story and characters AND likes RE6. Sometimes reading this topic I feel so alone.

Yes I've enjoyed every main RE game and most of the spin-offs. The Outbreak games are probably my least favorite but I never got to play them online.

dot

Me! :D

I finally beat Leon's campaign the other day. So good.

Still need to play the other campaigns though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Me! :D

I finally beat Leon's campaign the other day. So good.

Still need to play the other campaigns though.

You're in for a treat, I thought Jake's campaign was the best. But I'm in the minority on that one. Chris' is pretty damn good too.

I've played all the old RE games except RE1 PSX (I played REmake) and Code Veronica, but I actually prefer RE6 to the old school RE games. I played them one after the other in anticipation of RE6, and honestly I was getting tired of them by the end.

Sectus

Yup. I did lose interest in the series for a while around RE3, but I have liked most games in the series, both old and new.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Good read and lol at the end. I feel much the same way, and while RE4 and RE5 by no means have a perfect camera, at least they did not flip out erratically so much in critical situations, like you mentioned in your article. It was more controlled and felt more polished on the whole, despite being archaic by some of today's standards.

Thanks. Yeah, the camera bothered me a lot. It was super annoying.

There are tons of people here, exactly like you. Myself included. Don't focus on the negative ones lol

Spazznid

I loved RE4 and RE5, beat 5 multiple times on multiple systems, and beat 6 on PS3 and plan to double dip and beat PC version. And also appreciate and am playing the classics. Loved REmake, and CVX too.

I think I kille one, I needed like 20 minutes or more... but I did it.

That doesn't sound logical. To lose hp on amateur you'd need to be hit like 5 times to lose a single square. And they regen. So as I said, they're either afk or goofing around blowing themselves up.

3 grabs (in a row), 10 acids, about 20 hits. Many of them consecutive between 3 rasklapanje. The guy did not even need a tablet.

That doesn't sound logical. To lose hp on amateur you'd need to be hit like 5 times to lose a single square. And they regen. So as I said, they're either afk or goofing around blowing themselves up.

3 grabs (in a row), 10 acids, about 20 hits. Many of them consecutive between 3 rasklapanje. The guy did not even need a tablet.

I didn't played normal but the guy needed a loooot of hits to die, so I assumed it was amateur.

It is rare to find people that can support themselves. I was using the medic perk just to keep people from dieing, but you cant heal when your at full health.

If I find someone that does fine Ill switch to time+ or breaking the limit perks.

AlexBasch

Just finished Jake's campaign.

I'll say it again, they need a game for themselves. Also,
awwwww. :3 at the end.

*raises hand

I'm a TPS junkie, that might have something to do with it, though. Then again, when I don't like a game I usually shrug it off, I'm not of the "OMG YOU GUYS I FUCKING HATE THIS SHIT GAME WITH ALL THE FIBERS OF MY BODY HNNNGH" crowd.

Homefront was close to do that for me, so I just pretend it doesn't exist.

Seik

Banned
Just finished Jake's campaign.

I'll say it again, they need a game for themselves. Also,
awwwww. :3 at the end.

The Jake on a motorcycle with sunglasses part had me smiling, the guy have his father's face but not his twisted mind. I see a lot of potential for this character. :)

You aren't alone man, I appreciate them all for what they are individually. Even if I prefer the good old tank controls of the old REs, I can enjoy RE6 because it is a good game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One spoiler free question for those who've finished all 4 campaigns: is the 4th campaign as long as the initial 3, or is it more of a brief finale chapter?

Noi

One spoiler free question for those who've finished all 4 campaigns: is the 4th campaign as long as the initial 3, or is it more of a brief finale chapter?

It's definitely not brief, but the chapters overall are shorter than the others. Has 5 just like the main campaigns.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jake's campaign really turned around for me, LOVED chapter 3 through 5, some of my favorite moments with the game. Not sure on a concrete ranking of each campaign, but Jake's chapter 1 was my least favorite in the entire game. Well, so far anyway.

They're just as long. But I did find myself getting through the chapters a bit faster than the other three(45 or so minutes instead of an hour and 15 minutes, for example).

AlexBasch

The Jake on a motorcycle with sunglasses part had me smiling, the guy have his father's face but not his twisted mind. I see a lot of potential for this character. :)
Maybe it's just me, but is this some sort of nod from Capcom about Alice? I mean, immune to the virus guy, who is badass and does kung fu stuff against bloody BOW's.

I also pictured him as a bald Kenji from P4 spinoff too, haha.

but Jake's chapter 1 was my least favorite in the entire game
Worse than the snow section? Really? :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's definitely not brief, but the chapters overall are shorter than the others. Has 5 just like the main campaigns.

They're just as long. But I did find myself getting through the chapters a bit faster than the other three(45 or so minutes instead of an hour and 15 minutes, for example).

Thank you - wonder if going into the 4th having powered up skill slots will affect the length.

Grisby

I honestly think the
giant invisible snake
is one of the coolest boss sequences (including the build-up) in series history. It just hit all the right notes with me. :)
It did for me too. When you have to
crawl in the vents to go hunting
I tensed up. Such a great callback. It looked awesome and I felt like it didn't take a gallon of bullets to destroy it.

Actually in the last character's 4th chapter I got creeped out by all of the
Ada faces and goo stuff
. Some good unsettling moments. Not necessarily scary but there was some good bits.

Seik

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but is this some sort of nod from Capcom about Alice? I mean, immune to the virus guy, who is badass and does kung fu stuff against bloody BOW's.

I never though about him that way. I prefer not to as well because I hate Alice with all my soul. (RE movies hater here.) o_o

In my case I pictured him as the apprentice from Star Wars Force Unleashed. :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thank you - wonder if going into the 4th having powered up skill slots will affect the length.

I went through the 4th the fastest as well... however I thought it posed the stiffest challenge in certain parts.

I liked how it filled in the story... and the character generally entertains me.

I'd fit that description except for the fact that I genuinely disliked CV and it's pretty much the game that convinced me the old formula had to go.
(I've been playing the series since I imported BH when it came out)

Me! I absolutely love RE6 even with its faults. I've been with the series since day one. So yeah :D Your not alone at all! :D

Honestly, Jake chapter 2 bullshit:
This FUCKING snowmobile horseshit is just ridiculous. Where the fuck are you supposed to go? I go to the left, I die. I go to the right, I die. I go through the middle, hit no trees, and somehow I randomly die. Bull Fucking Shit like this should never be in a video game, I honestly can't even enjoy myself because this nonsense is just a skill-less, luck based stupid fucking barrier for no reason.

That section was boss. Why do people hate it so much? As soon as
you understand to stay in the center,
it's both easy and engaging. Especially in co-op :)

Honestly, Jake chapter 2 bullshit:
This FUCKING snowmobile horseshit is just ridiculous. Where the fuck are you supposed to go? I go to the left, I die. I go to the right, I die. I go through the middle, hit no trees, and somehow I randomly die. Bull Fucking Shit like this should never be in a video game, I honestly can't even enjoy myself because this nonsense is just a skill-less, luck based stupid fucking barrier for no reason.

Stay in the center, dodge the trees, full gaz and you wont die. If you die it's because you weren't fast enough or got too close of the avalanche. It's a bit tricky at first but once you nail it you will never die again in that section.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Chapter 1 had a lot of problems to me, it begins with a clusterfuck of people shooting at you, that ogre fight had the one get 'stuck' near Finn and he wouldn't set the charge until I pulled him back which took awhile, and that helicopter shooting segment lasted forever. I still am not sure what to actually do there...I started by shooting the other helicopters so he would have nowhere to jump, but then I started shooting his arm grabbing the chopper. Eventually something just worked.

The snow segment was actually pretty interesting to me, especially for the fact it's an agent hunt part. I don't really know wtf they were going for with that ice pathway, but I didn't fight any enemies on it so it didn't matter. I liked the weird stealth stuff and the rest of his chapter.

Top Bottom