• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bittercup

It includes all games, RE.NET right now is just a little slow to update game progress. Usually happens somewhere after a day after you've progressed, guessing having to do with the site and game still updating along with a lot of players right now.
Thank you. Good to know :)

v1oz

This is one RE game where I'll wait till it gets put on sale before picking it up. I'm not too surprised at the review scores to be fully honest, after RE4 I knew the series could only go downhill. The first time I ever finished Resident Evil 4, I said to myself there's no way Capcom could ever top this game. That game is a masterclass in game design. And I was right. That game really surprised me and the pacing together with the atmosphere were perfect. Capcom are not going to be able to surprise people again

T.O.P

Banned
Ok the final boss in Chris's campaign is really really bad,
i did the first part of the fight ONLY using the knife, no damage whatsoever, the boss can't hit you if you're under it and in five minutes i took him down

then the second form, with no fuckin ammo available, i have like a couple of granades, few ammos for the gun and the shotgun and that's it, it took like 40 minutes to reach the third regeneration then i got killed like an idiot, i think i'll try again tonight but with a human partner or i'll just use Piers so that i won't need to worry about ammos

And FUCK, i liked Piers, i'm expecting drama in the ending :(

mhe

Btw Jake's last chapter was freakin awesome <3

Sectus

I have a code for High Seas on xbox 360 which is unused. I was planning on giving it to a friend, but all my friends have it already apparently.

I can give it away to the first one who answers this very important bit of Resident Evil lore: what is the colour of Ada's (costume 1) panties?

Just make sure you're on the xbox, and you don't actually have the map.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I really enjoyed the final boss in Chris's campaign. I kind of screwed myself and made it there with very limited ammo and no healing items.

So I had about 12 grenade rounds and a few pistol magazines along with my knife and stun grenades. After dying twice and thinking it was impossible, I went for one last shot.

The intensity of hiding, taking shots when I could, stunning him and going in for a knife attack while managing my partner (he did the heavy lifting as an attacker). It was surprisingly satisfying. Had an absolute blast taking him out this way and killed him in like 6-7 minutes. Once you get his pattern down taking him out with the knife is a piece of cake. I COULD see this becoming very frustrating for a lot of people, though, but it reminded me of playing Dark Souls or an old NES game in which you have no margin for error.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a code for High Seas on xbox 360 which is unused. I was planning on giving it to a friend, but all my friends have it already apparently.

I can give it away to the first one who answers this very important bit of Resident Evil lore: what is the colour of Ada's (costume 1) panties?

It should also be mentioned that this only applies to PAL region games as these codes don't work unless the code is entered on a console of the same region. Very kind of you, regardless.

The preorder maps should have been something that you can unlock like... for 120k each on RE.net.

That would still be an incentive for preorders because 120k on RE.net is quite a lot. multiply it by 3.

Sectus

It should also be mentioned that this only applies to PAL region games as these codes don't work unless the code is entered on a console of the same region. Very kind of you, regardless.

That might not be the case. I sent PAL codes to an American friend some days ago, and those worked fine.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That might not be the case. I sent PAL codes to an American friend some days ago, and those worked fine.

Oh? Yai, then that makes me tempted to try for it but I think I'll leave it for someone else as I've had plenty of good fortune lately
and I have no idea what color underwear Ada wears.

It's strange though, I have a recollection about these codes being region specific but it is true I don't know that for a fact.

Carbonox

The preorder maps should have been something that you can unlock like... for 120k each on RE.net.

That would still be an incentive for preorders because 120k on RE.net is quite a lot. multiply it by 3.

I hope they fill out the store a bit more on RE.net. Currently it's full of useless shite aside from character skin color variations. Even that isn't really good enough.

News Bot

Banned
EDIT: Nope, I want to think I am wrong.

Spotted a few things left out of the English versions of the files, such as the "Simmons Foundation".

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

If you're talking about her silver dress in RE6 then
red/maroon?

Fuck me what could have been...if this game was just built around Leon and zombies with the occasional B.O.W it would be great. The J'Avo are fucking awful.

Curufinwe

Not really, RE4 is overrated in almost every aspect but he's right about the soundtrack, specifically.

Just accept you're in the minority and move on.

Nothing wrong with that. There may be many things wrong with RE6, but the combat mechanics are better and mercenaries is still mercenaries. It's a bit sparse, but still fine.

One thing I noticed from the half hour I played was the obvious damage and noticeable reactions of the zombies to my attacks. Which is the opposite of what certain reviews led me to believe would be the case.

DAT LEON CHAPTER 2...

I enjoyed Chris and Sherry's chapters 1 and 2 a lot, but man... Leon in a
zombie infested city
and a freaking
cemetery and church
... THIS is the RE that I love.

Please tell me the rest of Leon is like that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I noticed from the half hour I played was the obvious damage and noticeable reactions of the zombies to my attacks. Which is the opposite of what certain reviews led me to believe would be the case.

I know when I make these claims I seem like a fanboy, but most of the reviews about this game are just flat out wrong, not in the score they give or how much fun the reviewer had, but in the blatant misinformation that they present about the game. Saying that enemies don't react, or that combat is boring and unwieldy, or that the graphics are subpar (with the exception of certain low-res textures, the game is gorgeous). It's the main reason I've started going into GAF OTs to see what the GAF consensus is, since people here are generally more reasonable than reviewers.

DAT LEON CHAPTER 2...

zombie infested city
and a freaking
cemetery and church

Most of it is. It gets a little more bombastic towards the end but it has a different feel than the other two campaigns.

So, is there a consensus what's the "right"/better way to play it?

Chronologically or one character by the time?

Finished Leon chapter 1 yesterday and just saw the time line list in the OP... not sure how to approach this now...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
DAT LEON CHAPTER 2...

zombie infested city
and a freaking
cemetery and church

Next chapter is a bit of a nod to
mid-game RE4
. After that it's pretty much RE6 until the finish line.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Finished Leon chapter 1 yesterday and just saw the time line list in the OP... not sure how to approach this now...

I played it chronologically via Dusk Golem's order, and honestly I highly recommend playing it that way. The storytelling is much more engaging as you get to see the story escalate and climax from three different perspectives, and it's fun trying to piece things together as you go. Plus you never get bored of one campaign since you're constantly switching characters and play styles.

In Mercs mode it does the taunt, but when you're running with X, L2 will make the character turn faster.

Thank you for this tip btw. I used it yesterday during Mercs and it is a godsend. It makes the roadie run much more effective and useful than the one in Gears.

Evolved1

A lot of the OT recommends chronological order... I however really enjoyed Leon->Chris->Jake->Final

The story builds upon itself. And you don't have to do the same boss fights over again back to back. And I feel like it was intended to be played this way, stepwise... that it's a neat stroytelling thing they tried to do that might be harder to appreciate from chrono order.

But at the end of the day, there's really no right way. People seem to be enjoying it in whatever order...

Thank you for this tip btw. I used it yesterday during Mercs and it is a godsend. It makes the roadie run much more effective and useful than the one in Gears.

It almost turns too fast... like comically fast.

Nemesis_

I played it chronologically via Dusk Golem's order, and honestly I highly recommend playing it that way. The storytelling is much more engaging as you get to see the story escalate and climax from three different perspectives, and it's fun trying to piece things together as you go. Plus you never get bored of one campaign since you're constantly switching characters and play styles.

I second this.

Thanks, I guess I will play Chris 1 and Jake 1 next and then make a decision.

Next question: Is this game enjoyable with randoms? Played with a fellow GAFfer last night but as I'm reading through the last pages I'm kinda LTTP when it comes to the campaign and it's probably hard to organize coop for me (no other friends are playing it).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I guess I will play Chris 1 and Jake 1 next and then make a decision.

Next question: Is this game enjoyable with randoms? Played with a fellow GAFfer last night but as I'm reading through the last pages I'm kinda LTTP when it comes to the campaign and it's probably hard to organize coop for me (no other friends are playing it).

Personally I played it offline solo since I wanted to walk around sometimes, soak in the scenery and the story, etc... When playing with others they'll probably just make a beeline for the objective and you'll hardly have enough time to figure out what's going on.

I'm playing the super-secret fourth campaign now and whenever my story intersects with someone else it ends up being a rush to see who can get to the objective first. It wouldn't be fun if it was my first time playing through that level lol.

I'm glad you're finding it useful. I don't know what I was trying to do whem I discovered it lol, but is really nice for getting the time bonus. I can get them way faster than before.

Personally I played it offline solo since I wanted to walk around sometimes, soak in the scenery and the story, etc... When playing with others they'll probably just make a beeline for the objective and you'll hardly have enough time to figure out what's going on.

Thats why playing campaign mode in (any) game with randoms suck. Randoms are only good for Mercenaries.

I'm playing it with a friend and we are having a blast. Taking it slow, only running when necessary, finding the emblems, trying to only use handguns, playing it on professional... Even thad damn (Leon Chapter 2)
dog that burst through a door and steal a key in the cemetery
managed to scare us both lol.

RE6 might have received the most factually wrong bandwagoning in the history of games/GAF journalism.

Hit detection/enemy reaction not only exists, but is better and more realistic than that of any previous RE. QTEs are nowhere near as prevalent as I was led to believe. Melee/stomping is not broken - you simply have to aim. The list goes on.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So I'm about halfway through Leon's campaign and after letting my impressions settle down I'm finding that I enjoy this game quite a bit. Reviews are like assholes, of course, but I'd rate it a solid 7 so far. It's certainly not a 4 or 5 game so all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over it puzzles me. Really the only thing I find it lacking from RE5 is polish, otherwise I like it more.

Gbraga

This game is really great, I just hope they don't think we like it beucase we're westerns so give them more QTE durrr

Please capcpom no more driving and no more QTE. Keep the awesome gameplay.

RE6 might have received the most factually wrong bandwagoning in the history of games/GAF journalism.

Hit detection/enemy reaction not only exists, but is better and more realistic than that of any previous RE. QTEs are nowhere near as prevalent as I was led to believe. Melee/stomping is not broken - you simply have to aim. The list goes on.

You can see how fucked up this gen's perception of what a good game is when people claim that a gameplay they do not understand is broken and give 10 to the gameplay that does not register diagonals (IGN Uncharted 3 review).

If the low scores are only because of QTE and stuff like that (and they DO suck), I'll be ok with it as long as they continue to bash other games that feature those things.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thats why playing campaign mode in (any) game with randoms suck. Randoms are only good for Mercenaries.

I'm playing it with a friend and we are having a blast. Taking it slow, only running when necessary, finding the emblems, trying to only use handguns, playing it on professional... Even thad damn (Leon Chapter 2)
dog that burst through a door and steal a key in the cemetery
managed to scare us both lol.

Lol good luck with that...

It almost turns too fast... like comically fast.

That's why you only tap it when you're trying to turn. If you use it wrong you'll end up running into a wall, which will stop your sprint cold. So you have to be careful when you use it. I used it to sprint up and down the stairs in Steel Beast, those 90 degree angles ain't got nothin' on that LB sprint.

Bingo.

If the low scores are only because of QTE and stuff like that (and they DO suck), I'll be ok with it as long as they continue to bash other games that feature those things.

Yeah right, you know they won't.

destrudo

Does anyone know any good podcasts talking about RE6? So far I've listened to the Invisible Walls one, the Gamespot one (I think it's called Spoilercast) and Co-optimus.

I find the divisiveness of this game really interesting and I'm looking for good discussions, in podcast form.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know any good podcasts talking about RE6? So far I've listened to the Invisible Walls one, the Gamespot one (I think it's called Spoilercast) and Co-optimus.

I find the divisiveness of this game really interesting and I'm looking for good discussions, in podcast form.

There's the 8-4 play one that had cvxfreak on it, but I think he only finished the Leon campaign when they recorded it.

Also I may be the only person who really enjoyed all of RE6's vehicle sequences. :/

Evolved1

Also I may be the only person who really enjoyed all of RE6's vehicle sequences. :/

I thought they felt a little janky (in fact these sequences hold most of the game's jank and really are the only sections besides
swimming
that I would agree are "unpolished") but despite this I still thought they ranged from pretty fun to inoffensive.

Nemesis_

The only vehicle sequence was the Jeep.

That was the WORST.

Everything else was fun / okay / didn't overstay it's welcome.

Evolved1

The only vehicle sequence was the Jeep.

That was the WORST.

Everything else was fun / okay / didn't overstay it's welcome.

I didn't have trouble with that one... but I did die twice during
the avalanche
. I think that was the worst one. Still not too bad though. And a couple parts of it were actually kinda neat.

Top Bottom