• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just got a Wii with backwards compatibility so I'm going to start replaying my old GC games soon, and I'm super psyched to replay REmake. I never played RE0 so I'm also excited to play that.

Also now that we're talking about old RE games, I got RE4 HD, CV:X HD, and RE5 GE through my RE6 Archives edition. I own RE5 on PS3, but never played the Gold Edition content. Is it worth playing through the game edition for the extra content? Or should I just sell the code?

I'd love to see the mapping between people who like RE6 and those who like Demons/Dark Souls. I am certainly one of those people. I wonder if there's a high correlation...

I love RE6 but I despise Demon's Souls. That game goes out of its way to punish you if you don't play the game well. I play games to have fun, not to be put through a meat grinder every time I want to fight a cannon fodder enemy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd love to see the mapping between people who like RE6 and those who like Demons/Dark Souls. I am certainly one of those people. I wonder if there's a high correlation...
The thing is, those games were known quantities in the west by the time they were released. People EXPECTED an almost unfair challenge and other design quirks. When they were killed they just laughed it off and continued.

Nobody saw that kind of thing coming down the pipe with RE6, however.

I would argue that, up until RE4 at least, the series always highly frustrating as a result of poor controls (which were more acceptable back then).

That said, the original Japanese reviews for Demon's Souls were quite poor. Only once people grasped onto the concept (which really is something FROM had been doing for years) they started to love it.

Bladenic

I just got a Wii with backwards compatibility so I'm going to start replaying my old GC games soon, and I'm super psyched to replay REmake. I never played RE0 so I'm also excited to play that.

Also now that we're talking about old RE games, I got RE4 HD, CV:X HD, and RE5 GE through my RE6 Archives edition. I own RE5 on PS3, but never played the Gold Edition content. Is it worth playing through the game edition for the extra content? Or should I just sell the code?

I love RE6 but I despise Demon's Souls. That game goes out of its way to punish you if you don't play the game well. I play games to have fun, not to be put through a meat grinder every time I want to fight a cannon fodder enemy.

DO NOT sell the code seriously. Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and Mercenaries Reunion are all super fun and very well done.

Risible

One of the things I've found surprising has been the complaints about the cover system. It's always worked perfectly for me. I've mistakenly stuck to things only a few times out of the dozens of hours of playtime, and I've always gone into cover when I've chosen to.

Nemesis_

Is there an in-game bestiary? Always loved geeking out over this series' amazing enemy design.

There are figurines available for collecting the emblems. I don't know how many of them are for enemies though.

DO NOT sell the code seriously. Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and Mercenaries Reunion are all super fun and very well done.

This is correct, though Desperate Escape is a bit shit. Lost In Nightmares is great though, as is Reunion. Fantastic additions.

Sectus

I don't like Demon's Souls. I can see the appeal, but the combat didn't click with me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Really? Hmm. I've already seen walkthroughs of both those episodes, and with the virtual crack that is RE6 Mercenaries it'll be hard to go back to RE5 Mercs. I'll have to think about this one.

Sojgat

One of the things I've found surprising has been the complaints about the cover system. It's always worked perfectly for me. I've mistakenly stuck to things only a few times out of the dozens of hours of playtime, and I've always gone into cover when I've chosen to.

I'm guessing in tight corridors people might accidently go into cover while aiming, the blur effect is kind of heavy when in cover, also it's kind of inconsistent what you can stick to in some chapters. Other than that I fell it works fine once you get used to it.

I don't see the correlation at all. I'm loving RE6 and Demon's/Dark Souls are my favorite games this gen and top 5 of all time.

Nemesis_

Really? Hmm. I've already seen walkthroughs of both those episodes, and with the virtual crack that is RE6 Mercenaries it'll be hard to go back to RE5 Mercs. I'll have to think about this one.

Actually, with regards to Mercenaries, you're right. After sinking a good ten hours into Mercenaries it is REALLY hard to go back to RE5. Especially with how un-varied the combat is compared to 6.

Although of course 5 beats 6 in the maps department at the moment.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, with regards to Mercenaries, you're right. After sinking a good ten hours into Mercenaries it is REALLY hard to go back to RE5. Especially with how un-varied the combat is compared to 6.

Although of course 5 beats 6 in the maps department at the moment.

Haha tell me about it. I need more than just 3 maps. I can already tell this will be one of those games where I buy all the DLC that is released for it. :3

2 is the best game after the REmake. 0 and 3 are the worst probably (apart from modern RE). Anything else is inbetween.
I actually prefer Revelations over original RE1 for its gameplay
2 & 3 are a tie for me. 2 is the better game id say but 3 was more enjoyable.
0 as the worst isn't so much that its bad but so dull.

jimi_dini

Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and Mercenaries Reunion are all super fun and very well done.

this

those 3 things are the best RE5 has to offer.

I just played Mercenaries Reunion yesterday for the first time (after not playing it for around 1 year or so). Got a 109 combo with a random. Intense.

Oh and there is no code for PS3 Gold Edition. PS3 version has everything on disc. 360 has a code.

Nemesis_

Haha tell me about it. I need more than just 3 maps. I can already tell this will be one of those games where I buy all the DLC that is released for it. :3

Me too :3

Can't wait to dance up a DISCO INFERNO

:3

I seriously cannot wait till this shit goes six player. I mentioned this previously but EFVBuwsudbvobsvbdv uhb EXCITEMENT HYPE

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Me too :3

Can't wait to dance up a DISCO INFERNO

:3

I seriously cannot wait till this shit goes six player. I mentioned this previously but EFVBuwsudbvobsvbdv uhb EXCITEMENT HYPE

Hahaha close. It's Dance Inferno. ;) I don't know how versus would play though, probably really differently since you can't headshot/melee combo enemy players.

Oh and there is no code for PS3 Gold Edition. PS3 version has everything on disc. 360 has a code.

Yeah I own the retail version of RE5 for PS3, and I got the digital version of RE5 GE for 360. I'm debating whether or not to use the RE5+GE codes on 360 or to sell them, since I already own the retail disc on PS3. Decisions, decisions.

Nemesis_

Hahaha close. It's Dance Inferno. ;) I don't know how versus would play though, probably really differently since you can't headshot/melee combo enemy players.

Well it would play better, at least better than Versus where all you would do is just BOTH STAND THERE AND SHOOT EACHOTHER

Nemesis_

I swear, the moment they release Jill as a playable character I will buy eight copies of that DLC.

tumblr_m7cq4dhrxb1ryt2rgo4_400.gif

I swear, the moment they release Jill as a playable character I will buy eight copies of that DLC.
Yeah, definitely need Jill & Rebecca
and STARS Chris should have been in from the start.
if they released every Chris costume from the past games I would end up buying every last one.
Revelations Chris & Jill however unlikely are my most wanted.

Nemesis_

Give me Excella and BIRDWOMAN instead.

I am sure the Los Jilluminados will be happy with the latter and the Jill haters would be excited too.

She also looks INFINITELY cooler.

Esura

Banned
Are you serious

I'm inclined to agree with him. The opening village in RE5 was excellent, no the entire opening segment in RE5 was excellent. I found myself getting a little tense and close to getting scared on that part. At the time though I wasn't aware that the village part was done in RE4 already as RE5 was my first time playing through a RE game (technically RE2 was but I didn't play more than two or three hours before giving up).

Another fellow Jill fan? Cool.

They should release Revelations Jill and Blonde Jill in RE6 and we can make a Jill sandwich in Mercenaries.

EDIT: Who is BIRDWOMAN? Some monster?

Bladenic

Lol if you watched a walk through then sell it. What's the point?

Nemesis_

Have you played RE5? I didn't want to spoil it.

Birdwoman is the fan name for the costume Jill wears up until she reveals herself in RE5. While she's been brainwashed by Wesker.

The costume would look super cool if they did it well with the right physics and everything (and, I mean, the animations are largely already done.)

JwTFe.jpg

though for some reason I don't think we're getting any more costume besides the Low Poly PSOne models that we found on the disc/demo.

Pein

Banned
I'm inclined to agree with him. The opening village in RE5 was excellent, no the entire opening segment in RE5 was excellent. I found myself getting a little tense and close to getting scared on that part. At the time though I wasn't aware that the village part was done in RE4 already as RE5 was my first time playing through a RE game (technically RE2 was but I didn't play more than two or three hours before giving up).

They should release Revelations Jill and Blonde Jill in RE6 and we can make a Jill sandwich in Mercenaries.

Jill in the bird mask from RE5

haikira

Completed the three main campaigns and have put some serious time into mercenaries. Will probably post a more detailed impression soon. But i loved it. The game would have seriously benefited from being better edited and having less QTEs, but i definitely think it's better than the critic reviews claim.

For a little context. Resident Evil 2 is one of my all time favorite games ever and i much prefer old school Resident Evil. But i decided to leave that behind me, going into this game, unlike when i played 4 and 5. Just like i was annoyed when so many Prometheus reviews, reviewed it against Alien. I decided it was unfair to do the same here.

Definitely liked the characters of Jake and Sherry a lot. wouldn't say no, to seeing more of them.

Nemesis_

To be honest (RE5 spoilers)
Jill is horrible looking outside of the bird costume so she would be doing a service to the fans by being all bird like

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

You know, there are many characters in video games I really like (Solid Snake, Chloe Frazer, Commander Shepard), but it's only Jill Valentine that I actually feel a connection with. The reason being that REmake scared the absolute bejeezus out of me, and I felt like it was as harrowing for me to escape that game as it was for Jill to escape that mansion. That scene with her on the helicopter where she just looked so tired and exhausted - I felt exactly that way after playing REmake. And ever since then I've just felt an unbreakable connection with Jill.

Nemesis_

You know, there are many characters in video games I really like (Solid Snake, Chloe Frazer, Commander Shepard), but it's only Jill Valentine that I actually feel a connection with. The reason being that REmake scared the absolute bejeezus out of me, and I felt like it was as harrowing for me to escape that game as it was for Jill to escape that mansion. That scene with her on the helicopter where she just looked so tired and exhausted - I felt exactly that way after playing REmake. And ever since then I've just felt an unbreakable connection with Jill.

I repeat.

She's alright. I agree with you with the REmake thing though I played as Chris soooooo.

But yeah, I dunno, I just feel like there are better characters.

I also have a giant crush on Ada tho

The use of racist, "dark continent" imagery was more pathetic than scary.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

But I thought you were a Jill fan?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay

Is Birdwoman the official name? Lol. I think Plague Doctor would be more appropriate given the mask.

I accidentally italicized the part of his post I meant to bold... fixed. My comment makes more sense now.

Also, dude... every incarnation of Jill in RE5 is awesome. Even the battlesuit. If Capcom changes her again I will boycott RE for the rest of my life.

I repeat.

She's alright. I agree with you with the REmake thing though I played as Chris soooooo.

But yeah, I dunno, I just feel like there are better characters.

She is just jealous that despite hanging out all over, flopping around for the camera like a ho bag, she still gets outclasses in every scene by Jill who spent half the game dressed in a garbage bag. Some people just don't have it. Some do.

Nemesis_

I accidentally italicized the part of his post I meant to bold... fixed. My comment makes more sense now.

Also, dude... every incarnation of Jill in RE5 is awesome. Even the battlesuit. If Capcom changes her again I will boycott RE for the rest of my life.

No way, the battle suit was so boring and generic.

I also don't appreciate how they gave her Squidwhatever's nose from Spongebob.

Riposte

Man, I am not liking the puzzles in ada's campaign so far. The first one I ended up over thinking because the obvious answer appeared wrong because one of the pieces was hard to discern from each other. Now the one I am stuck on has virtually no proper feedback and doesn't seem to make much sense. The "clue" cutscene doesn't exactly help. I refuse to look up the answer though. Just wondering if I was the only idiot. (hanging corpses puzzle, chapter2)

Anyway, outside some moments with Jake, this has to be portion of the game I truly dislike.

Top Bottom