• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Neiteio

DAT LEON CHAPTER 2...

I enjoyed Chris and Sherry's chapters 1 and 2 a lot, but man... Leon in a
zombie infested city
and a freaking
cemetery and church
... THIS is the RE that I love.

Please tell me the rest of Leon is like that.
The third chapter is a bit more of that (very mild location spoiler:
catacombs and ancient ruins
) but then for the fourth chapter it transitions to (very mild location spoiler:
China
) where his storyline joins the others. That's not to say you lose the quintessential RE creepiness, though: One extensive segment has you going up against a relentless foe in an open-ended, maze-like area where you must track down three objects, and this enemy is creepy as hell.

Speaking of Leon Chapter 4, the three different forms of the boss at the end (
Derek Simmons the sabretooth tiger, centaur and, uh, girafffe?)
were amazing. Love the creature design in this game. I think my favorite monster to look at so far is the Lepotitsa, though.

destrudo

There's the 8-4 play one that had cvxfreak on it, but I think he only finished the Leon campaign when they recorded it.

Also I may be the only person who really enjoyed all of RE6's vehicle sequences. :/

I liked them too, even though they mostly looked terrible.

Nemesis_

I didn't have trouble with that one... but I did die twice during
the avalanche
. I think that was the worst one. Still not too bad though. And a couple parts of it were actually kinda neat.

I didn't have trouble with it either, but it just dragged out for way too long. It was also quite boring - the roads were wide and anyone who was driving would've been SO BORED.

If you were not driving, you were just mindlessly shooting at things.

Sojgat

This game is really great, I just hope they don't think we like it beucase we're westerns so give them more QTE durrr

Please capcpom no more driving and no more QTE. Keep the awesome gameplay.

You can see how fucked up this gen's perception of what a good game is when people claim that a gameplay they do not understand is broken and give 10 to the gameplay that does not register diagonals (IGN Uncharted 3 review).

If the low scores are only because of QTE and stuff like that (and they DO suck), I'll be ok with it as long as they continue to bash other games that feature those things.

I wan't to believe they look at feedback from the internet, even the Capcom forum is full of such criticisms. Reviewers totally missing the combat mechanics because of the game's flaws is just maddening, more so the ones who still gave it high scores. Do they think poorly controlling on-rails sequences and constant QTE mashing is 9/10 stuff? It's a great game when you give it credit for what it excels at, not for it's misguided/rushed attempts at appealling to the western market.

Does anyone know any good podcasts talking about RE6? So far I've listened to the Invisible Walls one, the Gamespot one (I think it's called Spoilercast) and Co-optimus.

I find the divisiveness of this game really interesting and I'm looking for good discussions, in podcast form.

Rebel FM talk about it this week, but I haven't listened to it yet, last week they talked about it on the GiantBombcast (just contained a lot of bashing though).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It would be funny that RE would increase their popularity in Japan and the contrary in the west, when RE6 is does have so many western influence...

It's interesting actually, it pretends to be a Western shooter but it's really a Japanese skill-based action game at heart. I would compare its combat to more of a Devil May Cry than a Modern Warfare honestly.

It's interesting actually, it pretends to be a Western shooter but it's really a Japanese skill-based action game at heart. I would compare its combat to more of a Devil May Cry than a Modern Warfare honestly.

Definetly, but you can see a lot of western influence on it, in terms of level design, scripting and setpieces.

Gbraga

If we could classify some TPS in a sub-genre I think RE6, WET and Vanquish would fit into Stylish Combat TPS lol

Definetly, but you can see a lot of western influence on it, in terms of level design, scripting and setpieces.
The interesting thing is that the western influences are more visible on the things people who liked the game care the less about. When they're gonna understand that we're expecting japanese games from them? If we want a shallow but pretty western game we have tons over here already. When they showed you could walk and shoot I was worried they would dumb down the great gameplay from RE5 just because some people were crying, but they didn't just add that feature, they revamped the whole combat to make it the best in its genre (maybe after Vanquish). That's what we want from them! The best parts in Leon's campaign when it comes to atmosphere were also the ones with less michael bayish stuff

Personally I played it offline solo since I wanted to walk around sometimes, soak in the scenery and the story, etc... When playing with others they'll probably just make a beeline for the objective and you'll hardly have enough time to figure out what's going on.

Well I can't connect to to servers at the moment anyway (on PS3) :/

How severe is this problem?

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3oCbwNsKE - 150 combo on Rail Yard in duo. Using Ada1 and Sherry2. (with commentary)

There's the 8-4 play one that had cvxfreak on it, but I think he only finished the Leon campaign when they recorded it.

Also I may be the only person who really enjoyed all of RE6's vehicle sequences. :/

I enjoyed all the vehicle sections (they were all easily better than chapter 2-3 in RE5), but I was playing in coop which probably made them more enjoyable.

Dyno

What has this franchise become? Really?

I'm playing the game once a week co-op with friends on the hardest difficulty. This makes it something of a survival grind. You can die a lot this way, especially when beer and loud screaming are in the mix.

Gun? Who needs a gun anymore? I'm Leon the head-kicking maniac. I've kicked my way through most levels. Even aiming and shooting is slower and not as efficient as two kicks to the jaw followed by the R1 prompted big kick or stomp. I even kicked the big fat guy who screams down after I set him on fire with grenades. Kickity-Kickity-Koo!!!

This game isn't horror at all but it really isn't action either. It's just zany violence in the dark. We're having fun but I think that's because there is nothing serious going on at all.

It's a clusterfuck of a game but that might not be a bad thing for once.

What has this franchise become? Really?

I'm playing the game once a week co-op with friends on the hardest difficulty. This makes it something of a survival grind. You can die a lot this way, especially when beer and loud screaming are in the mix.

Gun? Who needs a gun anymore? I'm Leon the head-kicking maniac. I've kicked my way through most levels. Even aiming and shooting is slower and not as efficient as two kicks to the jaw followed by the R1 prompted big kick or stomp. I even kicked the big fat guy who screams down after I set him on fire with grenades. Kickity-Kickity-Koo!!!

This game isn't horror at all but it really isn't action either. It's just zany violence in the dark. We're having fun but I think that's because there is nothing serious going on at all.

Thank you sir for making me laugh !
I agree 100% on everything you just wrote.

The
harrier
I thought was awesome, yeah I played similar things done much better before
Ace Combat
but it felt unique here, and was fitting for Chris.
Though the turret & swimming stuff was done much better in Revelations imo.

frequency

I played some more of this (co-op with NeoGAF member Gravijah). We finished Leon and we are now in Chapter 3 Chris.

After listening to some advice given earlier, some of my complaints are gone (enemies take too many bullets and react too much). I love this game even more now. I love moments where the stories of the characters meet. I was very happy seeing
the Ada chase part and seeing Leon and Helena on the other side as Chris and Piers now
. This kind of story telling adds so much more to the story for me.

This game is one of the biggest disagreements (other being FFXIII) I have with people. I love love love this game. Right now, I would give it 8 points (but very close to 9).
I am very surprised because I am not at all a shooter game or horror game fan.

I am glad to see such high numbers sold in Japan. I hope the Western sales are good too because I think this game deserves it and I would love if Resident Evil continued this way. If Resident Evil 7 is similar to this, I might have to start calling myself a Resident Evil fan.

I want to go back and try Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.

Grisby

The only vehicle sequence was the Jeep.

That was the WORST.

Everything else was fun / okay / didn't overstay it's welcome.
Nah dawg, I didn't die once on that one. The
snowmobile/bike stuff
of Jake's was terrible because it relied so much on quick action when the vehicles handle like shit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Indeed.

That said, I don't think the series has ever delivered proper horror. Resident Evil simply isn't scary and never has been. The occasional jump scare does not a horror game make. There are other series that fit your needs if you're looking for serious horror gaming.

cvxfreak

Indeed.

That said, I don't think the series has ever delivered proper horror. Resident Evil simply isn't scary and never has been. The occasional jump scare does not a horror game make. There are other series that fit your needs if you're looking for serious horror gaming.

Now let's be fair and give RE1 a little bit of credit.

Gbraga

Indeed.

Funny thing is, if they listen to the "RE fans" and make a full blown horror game, many of those people will still say it's not Resident Evil, because honestly it isn't scary. They're great games, but if you were really scared playing them, that's on you.

Ok, that's fair.

Nemesis_

I only played RE1 when RE2 was out, so I could be a little bit biased, but I didn't find it scary.

It was only until REmake did I actually find myself being actually NOT WANTING TO PROGRESS.

Dat Shark / Face Stealer ;_;

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yeah I'm playing through REmake for the first time and I have to say it's fairly scary at times. I've played through 4, 5, and 6. Should I continue on to RE2, 3, and CVXHD? What about 0 and Revelations?

Gbraga

I wasn't counting REmake because I never played it :(

When I upgrade my PC it'll be the first thing I'll do, I've been waiting to play it for a long time.

ksdixon

In the campaign chapter setup menu:
What is 'attack reaction' allow/disallow?
Why don't I have 'infinity ammo' when i set it to allow?

Sojgat

Indeed.

RE1 & 2 had an amazing B horror atmosphere, RE6 has very little of that. The gun shop in RE2 felt like a Romero film to me,
while in RE6 it felt like a video game.

RE1 definitely had some of the most tense moments, the Hunters for example were great. In few other areas, was I actually scared that something was going to get me though.

dark10x

It was way too B-movie to be scary. Come on, now.

Compare that to the original Thief or Silent Hill released a couple years later. They go to very different places.

I suppose they've dabbled with it more in certain games than others, but overall, the series has been more "horror themed" than actual horror. I suppose the closet they've come was with REmake.

Funny thing is, if they listen to the "RE fans" and make a full blown horror game, many of those people will still say it's not Resident Evil
I can only imagine the reactions if they managed to capture the feeling of playing Amnesia or an older Silent Hill game with the series. How different it would be.

cvxfreak

It was way too B-movie to be scary. Come on, now.

Compare that to the original Thief or Silent Hill released a couple years later. They go to very different places.

I suppose they've dabbled with it more in certain games than others, but overall, the series has been more "horror themed" than actual horror. I suppose the closet they've come was with REmake.

You may feel that way, but there are 16 years' worth of reasonably written monologues about why people were scared by RE1 when they first played it. I don't even feel that any RE is particularly scary myself, and don't get much horror sense from it other than from the REmake. But RE1 is often remembered for being scary back in the day, and I don't think that comes down any weakness on the hands of the gamers who played it in 1996.

Nemesis_

Man, actually, I remember being absolutely FRIGHTENED while reading *that* diary in the bedroom in RE1.

THEN THE CLOSET eibfvudsb fueviwbefvdipwufbeucbnipewbnidsnbipvbnis

*runs away screaming*

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You may feel that way, but there are 16 years' worth of reasonably written monologues about why people were scared by RE1 when they first played it. I don't even feel that any RE is particularly scary myself, and don't get much horror sense from it other than from the REmake. But RE1 is often remembered for being scary back in the day, and I don't think that comes down any weakness on the hands of the gamers who played it in 1996.

You didn't know what could happen.. in hindsight we've seen all this stuff before, but at the time, you just didn't know. It was a unique experience that keep throwing new stuff at you. Going through a loading door, you had no idea what was on the other side. And the game just kept building and throwing weirder/bigger/meaner stuff at you all the way through.

I don't believe it fair to judge certain aspects of the game in hindsight... it's not the same.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just listened to the Co-Optimus podcast of RE6, it was pretty good. Unlike the other podcasts I've heard they have one guy who liked it and one who didn't, so there was some good give and take. I've never listened to this podcast before but I think I'll start; I quite enjoyed their insights.

Interestingly, RE6 is basically showing me which reviewers/journalists I should follow and which ones I should ignore.

Oh, and yeah REmake scared the bejeezus out of me. I remember putting it down for a few months because I just did not want to progress any further. I had to force myself to finish it, and then when I did I felt such a big sense of relief. I actually commiserated with Jill and all the crap she had to go through in that mansion; I felt a connection with her. That's really why she's my favorite RE character.

Evolved1

So you can apparently totally cheese the difficulty trophies in RE6?

Last night I left my veteran Sherry run to join Noi for a trophy... it was on amateur... today I log into RE.net and see I get credit for beating the chapter on Vet.

Weird... I wonder if there are people beating the game on pro and thinking it's too easy, and not even playing on pro difficulty?

How the heck does this work?

Nemesis_

Actually I can think of quite scary moments throughout the games.

RE1 - The diary and closet zombie
RE2 - Umm. errr. Maybe not.
RE3 - Nemesis was really fucking scary, the impending doom was just so dreadful.
REC:V - The anatomists room and his creepy basement was quite confronting for me.
RE4 - The closest things were the regenerators I guess, but nothing really here.
REmake - Lisa Trevor. Though making the Shark tank deeper and a larger area made it really fucking frightening for me. Also that whole PRESSURE RISING room when it rams the window.
REv - The distress signal / distress call. Rachael was quite creepy too in the same way as Nemesis
RE5 - Did a good job at making Africa really scary. The way the enemies look at you in that opening scene was really unnerving.
RE6 - Most of Leon's campaign. Though the Town Hall in Chris' was also quite creepy at first.

Last night I left my veteran Sherry run to join Noi for a trophy... it was on armature... today I log into RE.net and see I get credit for beating the chapter on Vet.

Weird... I wonder if there are people beating the game on pro and thinking it's too easy, and not even playing on pro difficulty?

I didn't know this, though it's probably some glitch to do with someone joining you on a different difficulty.

I didn't think Professional was hard at all though - but this might have been since I literally came off a Professional run of Resident Evil 5 which was just brutal.

dark10x

Fair enough, fear is a subjective matter.

I was there in 1996, however, and I did play it (on the PC - which may have actually been 97, I don't recall) and I didn't find it scary at all. To me it was basically a graphic adventure with action elements similar to Alone in the Dark. The atmosphere was cool for the time, but it wasn't fear inducing. Alone in the Dark never really got to me either and I thought Ecstatica was scarier than either.

I'll be honest, though, I never truly felt fear in a game until the original Thief. THAT was the first game that really demonstrated just what horror in a game can be. System Shock 2 and Silent Hill, then, really pulled me into the genre.

Sectus

I didn't even find RE1 scary back when it was released. It was just too ridiculous (voice acting and graphics) to be taken seriously. REmake is the only one in the series which I thought was actually scary, and even that one pales compared to games like Amnesia.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Boxquote spotted.

On the Co-Optimus podcast the guy who didn't like it basically said he could see the 8/10 game in the 5/10 game he was playing. I think that's the main issue with this game: some people can get through the arcane need to figure things out for yourself and put up with some of the game's idiosyncrasies (the co-op doors, the focus on melee over shooting, the shaky aiming, the other RE tropes) to really get to the meat of the game, while others can't stand that stuff and get put off it from the get go.

Evolved1

I didn't even find RE1 scary back when it was released. It was just too ridiculous (voice acting and graphics) to be taken seriously. REmake is the only one in the series which I thought was actually scary, and even that one pales compared to games like Amnesia.

I thought the games were tense... and I sometimes moved forward with trepidation. It wasn't fear so much as caution, and not wanting to lose progress.

Hard to be "scared" by a game... but many games can make me tense. Classic RE's are among them.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Last night I left my veteran Sherry run to join Noi for a trophy... it was on amateur... today I log into RE.net and see I get credit for beating the chapter on Vet.

I mentioned this a while back. Apparently the game gives you credit for finishing whatever difficulty your single player game is set to, so you could start a Professional campaign and then join someone's Amateur game and get credit for beating the game on Professional.

Yeah I'm playing through REmake for the first time and I have to say it's fairly scary at times. I've played through 4, 5, and 6. Should I continue on to RE2, 3, and CVXHD? What about 0 and Revelations?
Revelations is the best Resident Evil after REmake.
0 is the worst main game imo(my 3rd favorite RE character at the time couldn't save that game).

Risible

The intensity of hiding, taking shots when I could, stunning him and going in for a knife attack while managing my partner (he did the heavy lifting as an attacker). It was surprisingly satisfying. Had an absolute blast taking him out this way and killed him in like 6-7 minutes. Once you get his pattern down taking him out with the knife is a piece of cake. I COULD see this becoming very frustrating for a lot of people, though, but it reminded me of playing Dark Souls or an old NES game in which you have no margin for error.

I'd love to see the mapping between people who like RE6 and those who like Demons/Dark Souls. I am certainly one of those people. I wonder if there's a high correlation...

Top Bottom