• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

anyone else still watching the livestream? game looks fun

I've had it on for a while now. Looks like a decent game in between all the cutscenes. Thank God it's co-op though. I suspect a lot of people will enjoy it more like that. Nothing's blown me away, really.

Anyone playing RE5 before this comes out? I just finished it last week (had it since day 1), but I'm tempted to run through again.

Anyone playing RE5 before this comes out? I just finished it last week (had it since day 1), but I'm tempted to run through again.

Yeah I am doing a playthrough, almost finished with it. Such an excellent game, I will never get the hate. I am on chapter 5, lickers and bosses gallore, soo good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anyone who cares, it took the streaming guy about 8 and a half hours to complete Leon's campaign, but that includes deaths and a few areas he got confused at.

Nemesis_

For anyone who cares, it took the streaming guy about 8 and a half hours to complete Leon's campaign, but that includes deaths and a few areas he got confused at.

Through a severely flawed extrapolation, we get 30something hours!

I'm still expecting it to be lower than that but still, a lot of content. I do know it's two discs on 360.

Dusk Golem

Through a severely flawed extrapolation, we get 30something hours!

I'm still expecting it to be lower than that but still, a lot of content. I do know it's two discs on 360.

There is quite a bit of replay value here, there were actually quite a few moments where Leon and Helena went in completely different areas to do their own thing, a lot more so than in RE5, and I believe it'll be worth going through both viewpoints.

Also, Veteran and Professional Difficulty are not unlocked from the outset so you have to play on either Amateur or Normal, and as soon as they completed Leon's campaign they unlocked Agent Hunt Mode (unlocks when you beat one campaign it seems).

If they can keep the set pieces and enemies/environments varied enough for the combat to remain fun throughout, this is incredible.

You have to wonder if one, more focused and polished 12-ish hour campaign would have been preferable though.

Mr. Fix

There is quite a bit of replay value here, there were actually quite a few moments where Leon and Helena went in completely different areas to do their own thing, a lot more so than in RE5, and I believe it'll be worth going through both viewpoints.

Also, Veteran and Professional Difficulty are not unlocked from the outset so you have to play on either Amateur or Normal, and as soon as they completed Leon's campaign they unlocked Agent Hunt Mode (unlocks when you beat one campaign it seems).

It unlocks after you beat one campaign on normal though, right?

Dusk Golem

Without spoilers of any kind outside of tone:

Chapter 1 was a bit action-full. It kind of looked like Left 4 Dead meets Resident Evil 4, if that makes any sense.

Chapter 2 was probably the most old-school Resident Evil, both in terms of environment and what happens.

Chapter 3 was really slow paced with fewer enemies until a boss segment that was really over the top.

Chapter 4 was mine and most of the peoples watching favorite chapter of Leon's. Had really good variety, and a lot of memorable moments.

Chapter 5 I can't fully explain without spoilers, so saying it with the least spoilers possible (but I'll tag them anyway, incredibly minor non-story spoilers), the fifth chapter was essentially a
boss rush.

In an overall sense, their story actually was a lot more involved than I was expecting, and actually I was mostly legitimately impressed, especially with Chapters 2 and 4. Chapter 5 I think a lot of people are going to have mixed feelings on for a variety of reasons
You essentially fight six full bosses in a row non-stop, and some of them it isn't clear what you had to do.
And a slightly bigger spoiler but not story related,
lawl at the Tyrannosaurus boss fight.

Dusk Golem

Are there any puzzles?

Any backtracking like old RE or is it just a linear shooter?

Many QTE?

There were a few puzzles, none too complicated but better than what was in RE4 and RE5 at least.

There wasn't any back-tracking, but there were areas where you were around a hub-like area until you accomplished something and some areas had branching paths it looked like. One of the more notable ones was when you're in a big area and have to find three keys to get through, navigating the maze-like area while dealing with a new type of monster (I am not kidding, this has to be one of the freakiest RE monsters ever).

And there was a fair share of QTEs, but not constant and a lot of them were QTEs if you get grabbed or something. Or some sections kinda like Heavy Rain, like seen in the demo, which popped up once in a while.

Oh, this game also probably has the most epic boss fights in any RE game, all of them had a lot of different forms and a lot of variety, but they sort of switch it up between more of a set-piece and more of a boss fight. I'm not giving specific examples in this thread, but essentially imagine boss fights where you fight in an arena, then have a gameplay segment, then a set-piece that has you follow along a path, and then another arena fight.

One of the more notable ones was when you're in a big area and have to find three keys to get through, navigating the maze-like area while dealing with a new type of monster (I am not kidding, this has to be one of the freakiest RE monsters ever).

That bastard is getting fed nothing but Lightning Hawk bullets and incendiaries.

Never have I've been so split on my feelings on a game. The Dragons Dogma demo I played didn't impress me, admittedly I have yet to try the newest version of the demo.

Teknoman

There were a few puzzles, none too complicated but better than what was in RE4 and RE5 at least.

There wasn't any back-tracking, but there were areas where you were around a hub-like area until you accomplished something and some areas had branching paths it looked like. One of the more notable ones was when you're in a big area and have to find three keys to get through, navigating the maze-like area while dealing with a new type of monster (I am not kidding, this has to be one of the freakiest RE monsters ever).

And there was a fair share of QTEs, but not constant and a lot of them were QTEs if you get grabbed or something. Or some sections kinda like Heavy Rain, like seen in the demo, which popped up once in a while.

Oh, this game also probably has the most epic boss fights in any RE game, all of them had a lot of different forms and a lot of variety, but they sort of switch it up between more of a set-piece and more of a boss fight. I'm not giving specific examples in this thread, but essentially imagine boss fights where you fight in an arena, then have a gameplay segment, then a set-piece that has you follow along a path, and then another arena fight.

Pretty hyped now. And im glad the puzzles are at least better than 4 and 5. PS3 or 360?

Dusk Golem

That bastard is getting fed nothing but Lightning Hawk bullets and incendiaries.

I still don't understand what it was based on Leon's campaign, at least. It just came out of nowhere and has to be extremely freaky and shit. It only appeared at that once section and was probably the scariest thing about Leon's campaign.

Teknoman

I still don't understand what it was based on Leon's campaign, at least. It just came out of nowhere and has to be extremely freaky and shit. It only appeared at that once section and was probably the scariest thing about Leon's campaign.

Maybe you see its origin during another campaign? Also still holding out hope that the PS3 version has its brightness issues fixed at retail.

Dusk Golem

how did the stream look compared to the demo? good? bad? or same?

I won't comment on Screen Tearing since I'm immune to it mostly, but I can say it looked better to my untrained eye at least. They were playing on PS3 and I spotted no slowdown either, which is good. Even during the really busy gameplay moments.

Graphically I think some people are going to see some of the later stuff and stuff their mouth. The lighting was phenomenal and some of the areas were actually quite breath-taking. This isn't all the game, but I can say the best graphics in RE6 are much better than the best graphics of RE5.

Leon's campaign in full luckily looked quite good. They never have you doing the same thing for too long, though I expect some people are going to be a bit irked about two things. the first was there were quite a few 'arena' or timed fights, I noticed. Not constant and not in every chapter, but they were there. And there's some gameplay moments where it's more like an interactive cinematic than it is gameplay, BUT I was relieved these were few and far between and they add some twists later, and some actually looked interesting.

raven777

I won't comment on Screen Tearing since I'm immune to it mostly, but I can say it looked better to my untrained eye at least. They were playing on PS3 and I spotted no slowdown either, which is good. Even during the really busy gameplay moments.

Graphically I think some people are going to see some of the later stuff and stuff their mouth. The lighting was phenomenal and some of the areas were actually quite breath-taking. This isn't all the game, but I can say the best graphics in RE6 are much better than the best graphics of RE5.

Leon's campaign in full luckily looked quite good. They never have you doing the same thing for too long, though I expect some people are going to be a bit irked about two things. the first was there were quite a few 'arena' or timed fights, I noticed. Not constant and not in every chapter, but they were there. And there's some gameplay moments where it's more like an interactive cinematic than it is gameplay, BUT I was relieved these were few and far between and they add some twists later, and some actually looked interesting.

Sorry I wasn't asking about visuals, but rather the gameplay, like level designs, QTEs and cutscenes, pace etc.

Dusk Golem

Maybe you see its origin during another campaign? Also still holding out hope that the PS3 version has its brightness issues fixed at retail.

That's what I'm thinking, it didn't look, act, or seem like a Zombie, J'Avos, or those things that break out of J'Avos.

Essentially it was
living meat. Like an arm would grow limbs and these monsters just wouldn't die. They would keep being shot apart but their limbs would still be alive and recombine with each other to make some seriously twisted combinations. Their normal form looked like these giant black bodies with extremely long limbs, they move around really weirdly and make this freaky noise and they had all of these strange behavoirs... Like they could slither around on the ground like a snake, one bit off it's own arm and let its arm grow out of it's mouth and... It was like something out of the Thing mixed with Regenerators.

Dusk Golem

Sorry I wasn't asking about visuals, but rather the gameplay, like level designs, QTEs and cutscenes, pace etc.

Oh, okay with minimal spoilers let's see if I can explain it (there will be some gameplay spoilers here).

It really varied from chapter to chapter. These aren't story spoilers, but in gameplay:

Chapter 1 for Leon like I said reminded me a lot of Left 4 Dead. It was... Well, like the Leon demo you guys played as the DD demo and the public demo is how this chapter starts. It continues with that sort of pacing, mixing slow moments with more cinematic moments as you get on the move and essentially have a finale. Not really much to say about it besides that. Sorta imagine RE4, I guess you could say. Just... Gameplay as you try to escape a city. No twists to it, just slower moments mixed with fighting things. Pretty straight-forward.

Chapter 2 threw in a lot more exploring and 'Resident Evil' old-school stuff. Jump scares, slower parts with no enemies, a few puzzles, and the environments almost transitioned like an old-school Resident Evil game too (
Graveyard>Church>Laboratory>Catacombs
). It threw around some variety and here both Leon and Helena split up in their objectives a lot, like taking different paths or this one part where Helena is carrying a survivor and Leon has to be the gunman. Ended with a boss fight that looked pretty fun.

Chapter 3 was the 'slow-down' chapter. Very few enemies and the place was mostly littered with traps. Lots of split-up moments here too. They also had some sections underwater where you swim between things and have to retain oxygen, and then ultimately ended with a few sections that seemed a bit automated and then a really over-the-top boss fight,
imagine Leon and Helena surfing down a giant water slide with a giant shark, because that's what happened.

Chapter 4 starts with a pretty cinematic but fully controllable segment, which leads into a boss fight everyone knows as the crossover boss fight with Jake and Sherry against the Ustanak. After these two more action segments, things slow down and they get to a big open area and then the freaky monsters I'm talking about come into play. They get away from this and have some slower moments, but then get into another trap-filled area and after a few (understandable in context) cinematic moments have a rather unexpected boss fight, which ends with some cinematic moments.

Chapter 5 brings an interesting new mechanic, and then you go through some slower areas, followed by a long QTE (the E3 Leon segment showed on stage), and then a long boss rush to the end.

raven777

Oh, okay with minimal spoilers let's see if I can explain it (there will be some gameplay spoilers here).

It really varied from chapter to chapter. These aren't story spoilers, but in gameplay:

Chapter 1 for Leon like I said reminded me a lot of Left 4 Dead. It was... Well, like the Leon demo you guys played as the DD demo and the public demo is how this chapter starts. It continues with that sort of pacing, mixing slow moments with more cinematic moments as you get on the move and essentially have a finale. Not really much to say about it besides that.

Chapter 2 threw in a lot more exploring and 'Resident Evil' old-school stuff. Jump scares, slower parts with no enemies, a few puzzles, and the environments almost transitioned like an old-school Resident Evil game too (
Graveyard>Church>Laboratory>Catacombs
). It threw around some variety and here both Leon and Helena split up in their objectives a lot, like taking different paths or this one part where Helena is carrying a survivor and Leon has to be the gunman. Ended with a boss fight that looked pretty fun.

Chapter 3 was the 'slow-down' chapter. Very few enemies and the place was mostly littered with traps. Lots of split-up moments here too. They also had some sections underwater where you swim between things and have to retain oxygen, and then ultimately ended with a few sections that seemed a bit automated and then a really over-the-top boss fight,
imagine Leon and Helena surfing down a giant water slide with a giant shark, because that's what happened.

Chapter 4 starts with a pretty cinematic but fully controllable segment, which leads into a boss fight everyone knows as the crossover boss fight with Jake and Sherry against the Ustanak. After these two more action segments, things slow down and they get to a big open area and then the freaky monsters I'm talking about come into play. They get away from this and have some slower moments, but then get into another trap-filled area and after a few (understandable in context) cinematic moments have a rather unexpected boss fight, which ends with some cinematic moments.

Chapter 5 brings an interesting new mechanic, and then you go through some slower areas, followed by a long QTE (the E3 Leon segment showed on stage), and then a long boss rush to the end.

thanks for the detailed impression!!

My hype went up a bit, but I am still worried that I won't be able to play much because of 3D sickness that I felt with the demo.

Dusk Golem

Grrr hype rising! But I want your opinion on some negatives points you saw any if you dont mind, spoiler free please :).

And spoiler-free again.

Well first of all the gameplay, in Leon's campaign, looks a lot more cinematic now. There were segments where things looked more scripted and you had to do it a certain way or else you died. An example of this would be like Jake's section at the beginning of his DD demo when being chased by Ustanak. There's a few segments like that where you have to act quick on your feet and sort of 'follow the script' or else you die. I feel like these were added so people couldn't complain about too many QTEs or something, they're sort of like QTEs except your in full control, but you have to do what the game wants you to do in these segments. These almost always happened in chase type sequences.

The game had three of these 'chase' type sequences, and three sections that were Heavy Rain like (including the one in the public demo, all involving vehicles for some reason).

Not really much else to say from what I observed. Wasn't really scary, but I think most expected that. Only other thing I can comment on is
that it wasn't exactly clear what you had to do in some of the end bosses, and in the final chapter there's one of those chase sequences and it looked pretty annoying, not helped the guy playing sucked at it.

Xpliskin

People please use the SPOILER tags and avoid posting screenshots from mercenaries.

They might contain enemies that some people haven't seen, ruining the surprise effect of seeing them for the first time during a campaign.

Am I the only one on a total media blackout after watching the announcement trailer and playing the public demo ?

Edit: Dusk Golem, you especially should use the spoiler tags. You're not being so subtle when giving your opinion about the full campaigns.

I'd caution those who are on the fence to not get too hyped by stream impressions. As someone who wasn't feeling it prior to watching a lot of Leon's campaign, the stream didn't do much for me at all. It sounds good in impressions, but the execution was a bit boring IMO. Felt very cutscene laden, and the prolonged breakneck pacing towards the final chapters ends up doing more harm than good. The best course of action for people still not sure whether to buy or not is to wait for more hands on impressions and/or watch more footage as it gets posted.

Jawmuncher

People please use the SPOILER tags and avoid posting screenshots from mercenaries.

They might contain enemies that some people haven't seen, ruining the surprise effect of seeing them for the first time during a campaign.

Am I the only one on a total media blackout after watching the announcement trailer and playing the public demo ?

Edit: Dusk Golem, you especially should use the spoiler tags. You're not being so subtle when giving your opinion about the full campaigns.

I've tried to be.
Though I don't even look for it and I found out shit about the game.

However I hope we get more Mercenaries spoilers.
Mainly just want the levels, costumes, and characters.
Though it looks like they're gonna pull a RE5 and have "different Costumes" count as different characters. Which is lame since they'll be costumes they wear in the game.

News Bot

Banned
Keep spoilers in the spoiler thread or at least mark them, Dusk Golem. We don't need to know exactly how each chapter plays out.

Dusk Golem

I'd caution those who are on the fence to not get too hyped by stream impressions. As someone who wasn't feeling it prior to watching a lot of Leon's campaign, the stream didn't do much for me at all. It sounds good in impressions, but the execution was a bit boring IMO. Felt very cutscene laden, and the prolonged breakneck pacing towards the final chapters ends up doing more harm than good. The best course of action for people still not sure whether to buy or not is to wait for more hands on impressions and/or watch more footage as it gets posted.

I can see how you felt that. I had played the first chapter of Leon's campaign more recently so I knew what to expect there, but I actually liked the end-game. But as I said above, I can see how others may not. But as I've said, this is going to be polarizing.

What I can say is both sides are probably correct on this, I am more excited now though.

Keep spoilers in the spoiler thread or at least mark them, Dusk Golem. We don't need to know exactly how each chapter plays out.

Had just decided to mark them before this post, I didn't say any story spoilers but decided best to mark anything that may pertain to gameplay spoilers as well.

Top Bottom