• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

AkuMifune

Banned
Then can you at least get out of this thread then? You know the game will be like this. Why ruin other people enjoyment?

Because I have a fair point. And still love the series as a whole enough to be involved. If you can't take some healthy criticism, why be on GAF at all?

Even given the amount of shit I've given this game recently, I'll still be picking it up on October 2nd because I just have to know what's become of this series. In the end, despite it all, I really, really, really want to like this game. It's just looking... very unlikely.

Kind of like hooking back up with a crazy ex-girlfriend again just to see how nutty her life turned out.

Riposte

I am bewildered people can't tell the difference between zombies and the type of enemies which appeared later in the series, especially the soldier-like J'avo. Is every enemy automatically a zombie in the Resident Evil series? Was Birkin a zombie? Wesker?

ironcreed

Banned
Only I wasn't going "hivemind." A lot of the complaints about the game understandable, and criticism is always a necessary evil. I'm talking to the people that literally act like somebody having a different opinion than their's is so unbelievable.

Exactly. People just voicing their gripes and disappointment is fine and should be welcomed. What I hate is when someone gets up on a pedestal and acts as if there can be no opinion contrary to their own and anyone who enjoys this game is delusional or is just lying to themselves because it's called Resident Evil.

Eidan

Just the fact you've adopted the ridiculous nomenclature they've invented to justify this crap should be sign enough to pull back.

But I understand you want to enjoy the game without those of us who detest this direction shitting up the thread. And this isn't a new direction, there were majini zombies on turrets and motorcycles in RE5. But I can't support this series anymore, not like this.

Until I can get it used

Didn't the enemies use crossbows in RE4?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Then can you at least get out of this thread then? You know the game will be like this. Why ruin other people enjoyment?

They aren't ruining anyone's enjoyment... or at least shouldn't be. I mean, except maybe their own?

People have different opinions man, and just as much a right to voice them as anyone else.

I happen to disagree with this particular poster's opinion and feel like I could flip his argument, and then we'd be standing at an impasse staring across at one another ... so his post does nothing for me, but it doesn't really affect my own enjoyment. I don't think criticism should be discouraged unless it is the hyperbolic sort. Big forum with lots of people, that's good. Means lots of activity. If things get really bad there's an ignore function.

gconsole

Because I have a fair point. And still love the series as a whole enough to be involved. If you can't take some healthy criticism, why be on GAF at all?

Kind of like hooking back up with a crazy ex-girlfriend again just to see how nutty her life turned out.

I didn't follow your post much but you made it sounds like people want to love this game by lying to themself ? That doesn't sound like fair point. Sorry if I read your intention wrong.

You can give this game 1/10 as long as you give reason and respect other people opinion.

AkuMifune

Banned
All fair points. I'll go back to playing REmake in the dark and crying to myself.

I can admit it's me, not you RE. You're just not what I want anymore, but that doesn't make me right.

Evolved1

Crossbows are very different, in terms of gameplay dynamics, than machineguns. I'm not defending the guy you're addressing, just pointing out an important distinction that might matter in the discussion.

If you're comparing to the LMG's I accept your point. But I don't think the distinction holds for any other weapons. Talking purely gameplay mechanics, the SMG's and sniper rifles imo are equivalent to RE4 crossbows. Actually RE4 crossbows sometimes had explosive arrows iirc so that's even worse!

Now there is no way to argue the sniper rifle and crossbows aren't equivalent. Unless you want to concede they are worse in RE4 (since they fire two arrows in quick succession and they don't have a laser sight to betray their position). This one I believe is basically unarguable. (I mean you can try but...)

The SMG's are a harder sell. And I think you really need to have played the game bunch to understand where I'm coming from. They are rapid fire and piss bullets at you, but only one or two ever connect (at least on this difficulty) and therefore, imo, seem roughly equivalent to the threat posed by ranged crossbow attacks in RE4.

I'm open to hear a counterargument. But I feel pretty confident asserting this...

All fair points. I'll go back to playing REmake in the dark and crying to myself.

I can admit it's me, not you RE. You're just not what I want anymore, but that doesn't make me right.

I wish RE was TLoU. I wish this deeply, all the way down into the marrow. That is the tone/direction/gameplay I've always wanted since the beginning and now another game besides RE is doing it. It saddens me. Fortunately I still like RE action games... but if only...

Eidan

I personally am not a big fan of enemies with firearms either. It's fine when those enemies are relatively rare. I just fear the series truly becoming just Gears of War or Uncharted, with every encounter requiring cover and fire tactics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. They are very similar in gameplay dynamics. Tonally very different, but not mechanically.
Crossbowmen dealt much greater damage and existed in much lower quantities with a dramatically lower rate of fire. You could shoot down oncoming arrows. You could see where the arrows came from. You could *react*. The way they affected your play-style in a room that contained them was noticeable, because they were special. You could keep moving and they would never hit you. Gunmen don't provide any of this, especially rooms that are full of arbitrarily placed and/or respawning gunmen.

The difference is aesthetically subtle but the devil is in the details. The details were Mikami's/Kamiya's specialities (and, naturally, their team's greatest strengths). They are, sadly, Capcom's current greatest weakness. They're fine with hitting the broad strokes, not so much when it comes to the subtleties that make a decent game unforgettable.

Evolved1

Crossbowmen dealt much greater damage and existed in much lower quantities with a dramatically lower rate of fire. You could shoot down oncoming arrows. You could see whet here the arrows came from. You could *react*. The way they affected your play-style in a room that contained them was noticeable, because they were special. You could keep moving and they would never hit you. Gunmen don't provide any of this, especially rooms that are full of arbitrarily placed and/or respawning gunmen. The difference is aesthetically subtle but the devil is in the details.

Finally you post something with some meat on it...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I personally am not a big fan of enemies with firearms either. It's fine when those enemies are relatively rare. I just fear the series truly becoming just Gears of War or Uncharted, with every encounter requiring cover and fire tactics.

Honestly I've played the demo a bunch of times and I hardly ever use cover, even in the Chris and Jake sections. It's a lot easier to just run around firing at enemies, since they don't really do much damage with their guns. They're really the most inaccurate gun-toting enemies in any game ever.

You seem to be inferring from the mere fact that people have negative opinions that they therefore have a need to have them. So you either need to defend your logic or admit you can't handle people disagreeing with you and therefore are attributing negative motives where there are none.

I clearly just said I was talking to the people who can't believe somebody disagrees with their opinion - you know, the people that post barely anything outside of hyperboles and then go, "how can people be excited about this game lol." Those people have a need, in my eyes, for everybody to hate the game just because they do, and I don't understand it.

AkuMifune

Banned

It's really the proportion of these segments to the traditional gameplay I'm curious about. This series had it's own hooks that were different than other games and by trying to ape their style for more mainstream success they've neutered what I loved in the first place.

But there was stuff in 5 I liked, especially in the DLC, so I'm hoping there's a nugget of goodness to be found here for old men like me.

Just a taste Capcom, I just need a little taste.

Eidan

How is rate of fire not central to the gameplay dynamic they create? You can even shoot a bolt out of the air. The machine guns just spray damage at you.

Only difference would be how much or if you take cover. I don't have a problem with that, but as I said earlier, I'd have a bigger problem if they became too prevalent.

As long as I don't have to face guys like this:
J.J..jpg

In every room, I'm fine.

haikira

Just double checking. It's definitely Tuesday the 2nd, this releases in the UK?

Definitely seems that way when i search it. It's just an unusual release date for a game, here in the UK. So just wanting to make sure.

Cheers.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Now there is no way to argue the sniper rifle and crossbows aren't equivalent

You can shoot crossbow bolts out of the air. Not so with the sniper rifle.

I clearly just said I was talking to the people who can't believe somebody disagrees with their opinion - you know, the people that post barely anything outside of hyperboles and then go, "how can people be excited about this game lol." Those people have a need, in my eyes, for everybody to hate the game just because they do, and I don't understand it.

You didn't quote anyone or name anyone, so you weren't clearly doing anything except pretending to have knowledge of people's underlying motivations.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At this point, have we found out which version of the game is better (graphically)? I prefer playing on PS3, but I'll get the 360 version if it's considerably better.

Is the demo any indication?

antitrop

Just double checking. It's definitely Tuesday the 2nd, this releases in the UK?

Definitely seems that way when i search it. It's just an unusual release date for a game, here in the UK. So just wanting to make sure.

Cheers.
Yes, it's a global launch on October 2nd. Except for Japan, which gets the game on the 4th.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
At this point, have we found out which version of the game is better (graphically)? I prefer playing on PS3, but I'll get the 360 version if it's considerably better.

There isn't one that is considerably better visually. As of the latest demo 360 has a small framerate advantage, but I don't think we have conclusive information about the retail build yet.

Grisby

I found the newest 360 demo to be a bit better in the framerate department. There wasn't any screen tearing as far as I could tell in Leon/Sherry's sections and the overall image was a lot brighter compared to the PS3 which was darker at the same brightness settings.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I've played both demos and I think the 360 version has some small graphical advantages, but it's definitely nothing super significant. I will note though that if you can't stand framerate dips, you may want to go with the 360 version.

Also your tag is freaking hilarious.

denshuu

I'm curious what Professional is going to be like in this game. In RE5 the one-hit-kill aspect wasn't a huge deal since the sections of the game wher eyou fought majini with guns had cover everywhere, and every single majini wasn't shooting at you. At most it was one or two gunman with a sniper somewhere.

In this game, it's wide open spaces with sometimes up to five guys with guns flanking you constantly, and attacking one of them pretty much guarantees than another is going to hit you. I 'm hoping it doesn't devolve into just kiting enemies back into corridors one at a time but it kinda looks like it. That is, if it sticks with RE5's one-hit-kill Professional Mode conventions.

Edited for paragraphs.

Gbraga

There was this review that gave the PS3 3% more, and said it had better details and the 360 had more framerate drops/more frequent and longer loadings.

haikira

Think this may be the first multiplatform game i'll have picked up on the 360 for a while. I normally go PS3 because it's where all my friends are, for multiplayer, or even if i just want to lend out the game. Though i have no friends interested in RE6 in the least and i'm much more fussy about framerate than graphical quality.

Would have definitely went for the PC version, if it had be available.

Evolved1

Based on the demo, PS3 version has a slight but noticeable (in a side by side) case of the vaselines.

antitrop

What good is a stream if it's offline? 50 people is better than 0.
Well that depends on how long it takes the admins to shut the stream down, doesn't it?

Also the Livestream guy just said in chat that he's switching over to Twitch. So I guess we're about to find out.

You can shoot crossbow bolts out of the air. Not so with the sniper rifle.

You didn't quote anyone or name anyone, so you weren't clearly doing anything except pretending to have knowledge of people's underlying motivations.

I shouldn't have to, you can read just like I can so I know you've seen those posts. You're starting an argument based off your own screwed interpretation of what I actually said.

sonicmj1

I am bewildered people can't tell the difference between zombies and the type of enemies which appeared later in the series, especially the soldier-like J'avo. Is every enemy automatically a zombie in the Resident Evil series? Was Birkin a zombie? Wesker?

But the Mercenaries gameplay videos have shown literal zombies holding guns.

Top Bottom