• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Xpliskin

I've tried to be.
Though I don't even look for it and I found out shit about the game.

However I hope we get more Mercenaries spoilers.
Mainly just want the levels, costumes, and characters.
Though it looks like they're gonna pull a RE5 and have "different Costumes" count as different characters. Which is lame since they'll be costumes they wear in the game.

In my real honest opinion and this is just general advice for everyone :
You should form an opinion about a videogame after you have completed it and seen the ending credits, controller in hand all the while having avoided trailers and spoilers in the first place.
This is how I form one.

By "mercenaries spoilers" I meant the new enemies that may appear in them that we haven't seen anywhere else.

And spoiler-free again.

Well first of all the gameplay, in Leon's campaign, looks a lot more cinematic now. There were segments where things looked more scripted and you had to do it a certain way or else you died. An example of this would be like Jake's section at the beginning of his DD demo when being chased by Ustanak. There's a few segments like that where you have to act quick on your feet and sort of 'follow the script' or else you die. I feel like these were added so people couldn't complain about too many QTEs or something, they're sort of like QTEs except your in full control, but you have to do what the game wants you to do in these segments. These almost always happened in chase type sequences.

The game had three of these 'chase' type sequences, and three sections that were Heavy Rain like (including the one in the public demo, all involving vehicles for some reason).

Not really much else to say from what I observed. Wasn't really scary, but I think most expected that. Only other thing I can comment on is
that it wasn't exactly clear what you had to do in some of the end bosses, and in the final chapter there's one of those chase sequences and it looked pretty annoying, not helped the guy playing sucked at it.

Thanks! still debating..just sucks I have so many exams coming up :'(

Haliela

Review by a local newspaper here :p Pic was posted by capcom india fb page

426188_357569730991628_690870353_n.jpg

I am officially getting hyped for this game.

Chinner

Banned
are people posting demo impressions here? anyway yeah i'm giving this a pass. i dont mind the new controls/feature set (although it does feel pretty bloated and could have probably been better mapped) but the gameplay and level design is awful. leon's was alright, had to force myself to complete chris's and i just gave up with jake (may try again later though).

so yeah might get this on a steam sale at best.

MrDaravon

In my real honest opinion and this is just general advice for everyone :
You should form an opinion about a videogame after you have completed it and seen the ending credits, controller in hand all the while having avoided trailers and spoilers in the first place.
This is how I form one.

By "mercenaries spoilers" I meant the new enemies that may appear in them that we haven't seen anywhere else.

Ahaha what? No. That's how you properly review a game. Suggesting that someone has to play a game to completion to have an opinion about it is possibly the most retarded thing I have ever read on GAF.

AHA-Lambda

Ahaha what? No. That's how you properly review a game. Suggesting that someone has to play a game to completion to have an opinion about it is possibly the most retarded thing I have ever read on GAF.

This. I don't watch a trailer for a movie and think to myself "man, that looks like crap but ya know what? I'll go see it anyway cos you just never know."

Xpliskin

Yeah the wording is wrong, replace "a videogame" with "it" --> RE6.

and lol @ comparing trailers to game demos.

x-Lundz-x

Without spoilers of any kind outside of tone:

Chapter 1 was a bit action-full. It kind of looked like Left 4 Dead meets Resident Evil 4, if that makes any sense.

Chapter 2 was probably the most old-school Resident Evil, both in terms of environment and what happens.

Chapter 3 was really slow paced with fewer enemies until a boss segment that was really over the top.

Chapter 4 was mine and most of the peoples watching favorite chapter of Leon's. Had really good variety, and a lot of memorable moments.

Chapter 5 I can't fully explain without spoilers, so saying it with the least spoilers possible (but I'll tag them anyway, incredibly minor non-story spoilers), the fifth chapter was essentially a
boss rush.

In an overall sense, their story actually was a lot more involved than I was expecting, and actually I was mostly legitimately impressed, especially with Chapters 2 and 4. Chapter 5 I think a lot of people are going to have mixed feelings on for a variety of reasons
You essentially fight six full bosses in a row non-stop, and some of them it isn't clear what you had to do.
And a slightly bigger spoiler but not story related,
lawl at the Tyrannosaurus boss fight.

So was that all of Leon's campaign? How long do you think it was, 8-10 hours?

Nemesis_

He has already mentioned it took roughly eight or nine hours, but the player got "lost" a few times and died a few times too.

x-Lundz-x

i watched the livestream and yeah the dude mentioned he played 10 hours straight :b

He has already mentioned it took roughly eight or nine hours, but the player got "lost" a few times and died a few times too.

I must have missed where he said that so thanks. I'm hoping I can get 30+ hours out of the SP from this game. (Actually I'll be co-oping the whole thing with my buddy but still). I cannot wait for next week.

Riposte

The only spoiler I want to see is a full explanation of the skill system, in the campaign(s).

Actually, that and a timeline for broken down by chapters rather than campaigns.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So...

A single HG shot to the arm will pretty much always stagger a zombie... it takes at least two HG shots to the leg and even then it's iffy whether or not they stagger. As far as I can tell, you can't really kneecap the zombies.

The backwards melee (turn your character away from the enemy before using R1 melee) has a stagger or knockdown effect (either can happen)... and better yet will affect multiple enemies, pushing them all back. Good for getting distance from a mob, but somewhat tricky to perform under duress so a good risk/reward move.

Easiest way to stagger a weapon holding zombie, and use their weapon to kill them, is the basic slide. Sliding into them will turn them around and give you their back for the cool melee OHK. The jump kick or shoulder ram sometimes knocks them down. And when on the ground, it's not always a OHK unless you have a melee weapon (knife, stun rod) equipped.

Mercs is gonna be fuck-awesome.

Evolved1

Jesus at the left side.

Capcom wants this to be Call of Duty so badly. Can't they just have the zombies/creatures/w/e they want to call them shoot projectiles from their mutated bodies or something? Them running around with guns looks so stupid.

They already have those things you mention... and those J'avo with guns hardly matter from a gameplay standpoint. Most of their weapons barely harm you if they hit you at all. There are a few that carry LMG's and you have to be a bit more creative for those guys, and the occasional sniper, but even them you can nutralize the weapon quickly and you're usually left to deal with their mutations, which interestingly enough: shoot projectiles from their mutated bodies or their mutated body becomes a projectile itself.

I realize you just might really dislike the aesthetic, which I don't know what to say other than sorry about your luck...

And the weapons even make sense from a story perspective. These are militia/merc soldiers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"Zombies with guns" is something I thought we'd only ever see in parodies prior to RE5. So tone-deaf.

They already have those things you mention... and those J'avo with guns hardly matter from a gameplay standpoint. Most of their weapons barely harm you if they hit you at all. There are a few that carry LMG's and you have to be a bit more creative for those guys, and the occasional sniper, but even them you can nutralize the weapon quickly and you're usually left to deal with their mutations, which interestingly enough: shoot projectiles from their mutated bodies or their mutated body becomes a projectile itself.

I realize you just might really dislike the aesthetic, which I don't know what to say other than sorry about your luck...

And the weapons even make sense from a story perspective. These are militia/merc soldiers.

Don't get me too wrong, I loved 4, and enjoyed 5 enough. Just seeing them there in that review just like that looked so ridiculous and stupid.

Evolved1

"Zombies with guns" is something I thought we'd only ever see in parodies prior to RE5. So tone-deaf.

There aren't any "zombies with guns" in the image he's talking about...

Chinner

Banned
also yeah the camera sucks both in how close it is to the character, generally shooting and how it moves with the character.

but this isnt news, but it is the first time i played re6.

Malvingt2

I am really shocked that people are looking forward to this game. I can tell that it is going to be one of the worst entry in the series a mile away and demo backed that up.. I can't wait for the meltdown in here. Anyway I am going to pick it up when the game hit $20 range..

Neiteio

Eh, I'd rather there not be any gun-wielding enemies, and I'm no defender of RE6, but the enemy type makes sense from a story standpoint. They're not reanimated corpses, and thus not zombies. The J'avo/Majini/Ganado are living bodies, transformed by parasites (RE4, RE5) or C-Virus (RE6). They're sentient and can coordinate their attacks, and if we were cool with ganado being able to manipulate pitchforks, etc, I don't see why we'd think it tone-deaf for majini/j'avo to pull a trigger, story-wise.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dont want to derail the thread but can we post Demo impressions here?

I'll never understand this need to dislike the game...does having someone agree with you help you sleep better at night or something? Can someone chime in and explain this to me?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I'd rather there not be any gun-wielding enemies, and I'm no defender of RE6, but the enemy type makes sense from a story standpoint. They're not reanimated corpses, and thus not zombies. The J'avo/Majini/Ganado are living bodies, transformed by parasites (RE4, RE5) or C-Virus (RE6). They're sentient and can coordinate their attacks, and if we were cool with ganado being able to manipulate pitchforks, etc, I don't see why we'd think it tone-deaf for majini/j'avo to pull a trigger, story-wise.

That's the thing, I feel like this is what RE has been building up to ever since the first game. In RE1 the STARS team was lured to the mansion so that combat data against the B.O.W.s could be collected. The intention was always to use these creatures in combat scenarios. This is why I'm actually pretty excited for the Chris campaign, because to me that is what RE has been building up to ever since its inception: global B.O.W. warfare. Does it feel like old school RE? No, definitely not. But I can't help but feel like this global outbreak was bound to happen at some point.

ironcreed

Banned
I am really shocked that people are looking forward to this game. I can tell that it is going to be one of the worst entry in the series a mile away and demo backed that up.. I can't wait for the meltdown in here. Anyway I am going to pick it up when the game hit $20 range..

I see people who love things that I happen to hate all the time. But I don't feel the need to sit in dismay and rack my brain while trying to figure out how that is possible. I just chalk it up as people having different opinions than me and then go on with my day. Pretty simple, really, lol.

Chinner

Banned
I'll never understand this need to dislike the game...does having someone agree with you help you sleep better at night or something? Can someone chime in and explain this to me?

no matter how subtle you are hivemind accusations are a utterly lame counter-argument.

The issue isn't so much story wise. RE4 is filled with stuff like this (its got shields, zombies throwing axes etc.) but for me personally I worry how it'll play gameplay wise.

You know a lot of fantasy games could have guns in them - they don't because thats not the game. Likewise this is Resident Evil - I just don't feel the gun play elements should be against an onslaught of gun weidling maniacs.

If RE6 were the 'apocalypse' game I'd probably be okay with it; just where do you go next with the ideas if RE7 is not changed significantly by the outcome of 6.

Zombies with guns does entirely change the gameplay even if storywise its pretty sound (its not like they didn't have explosives and other such items before); which I don't feel personally I'll really enjoy too much compared to some slow single round range attacks and mostly melee stuff.

gconsole

He play it (or even just see it). He hates it. The whole must agree with him. Seeing people enjoy it is suffer.

no matter how subtle you are hivemind accusations are a utterly lame counter-argument.

Only I wasn't going "hivemind." A lot of the complaints about the game are understandable, and criticism is always a necessary evil. I'm talking to the people that literally act like somebody having a different opinion than their's is so unbelievable.

AkuMifune

Banned
You say zombie I say J'avo. But I realize this is a joke for you, and you enjoy being negative.

Just the fact you've adopted the ridiculous nomenclature they've invented to justify this crap should be sign enough to pull back.

But I understand you want to enjoy the game without those of us who detest this direction shitting up the thread. And this isn't a new direction, there were majini zombies on turrets and motorcycles in RE5. But I can't support this series anymore, not like this.

Until I can get it used

gconsole

Just the fact you've adopted the ridiculous nomenclature they've invented to justify this crap should be sign enough to pull back.

But I understand you want to enjoy the game without those of us who detest this direction shitting up the thread. And this isn't a new direction, there were majini zombies on turrets and motorcycles in RE5. But I can't support this series anymore, not like this.

Until I can get it used

Then can you at least get out of this thread then? You know the game will be like this. Why ruin other people enjoyment?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Even given the amount of shit I've given this game recently, I'll still be picking it up on October 2nd because I just have to know what's become of this series. In the end, despite it all, I really, really, really want to like this game. It's just looking... very unlikely.

Cartoonish disgust aside, I'm genuinely curious as to how the game could have come out playing like it does. It's completely bizarre. On an academic level, if nothing else, I'd love to know more about how this game came to be what it is today.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You seem to be inferring from the mere fact that people have negative opinions that they therefore have a need to have them. So you either need to defend your logic or admit you can't handle people disagreeing with you and therefore are attributing negative motives where there are none.

Is there still no official release window for the PC version?

Nope, and it's best to assume it will be a while. They just started working on it like a month ago, if that. RE5 was 6 months later on PC, despite MT framework allowing for relatively easy porting.

Top Bottom