• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Riposte

Yeah, that's where Capcom's biggest mistake was. They made a fun combat system but couldn't design a campaign to show it off well enough. I really hope we can see the combat system somewhere else where it won't be bogged down by the need to meet people's idea of what RE should be.

Every enemy in the Mercenaries in the campaign though. You still rooms dedicated to killing a bunch of enemies as well.

EDIT: Did you play on Professional? I've never touched anything lower.

Ken

Every enemy in the Mercenaries in the campaign though. You still rooms dedicated to killing a bunch of enemies as well.

In campaign you just needed to kill them, not figure out the most efficient way to do it which meant you could just sit behind cover from afar and spam bullets at them, something that won't get you very far in Mercenaries.

EDIT: Did you play on Professional? I've never touched anything lower.

Nope, just the default setting. I would assume professional is more demanding, but I can't imagine that most reviewers based their reviews and first impressions of that setting.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I find I can't kill as well during the campaigns as I do in mercs... it's weird.

Sojgat

The problem with the campaign encounter design is that, even on pro, it's just rooms full of enemies who can be dispatched very quickly when you know what you're doing. This leaves you to go straight back to walking around opening co-op doors and doing silly vehicle set pieces. Everything is segmented into tiny skirmishes. Bigger battles usually involve being surrounded on all sides by snipers or guys with rocket launchers, and are still incredibly brief.

The campaign encounters should have been like the Steal Beast Mercs map, multiple level environments, utilised well for continuous combat.
Enemies parachuting into battle
on that map is a more impressive cinematic touch than just about anything in the actual story.

Riposte

Nope, just the default setting. I would assume professional is more demanding.

It is a completely different game judging by the demo. Normal just doesn't register in conversations with me nor do I think it is worth discussing for the most part. I'm even reluctant to call it the "default" difficulty. These days difficulties seem to be designed with several levels of expertise in mind and not in a relative manner. They start at the very bottom and go all the way up to "competent" (sometimes the mechanics are so shallow that they just push the game into "bullshit" territory and cover their asses with friendly checkpoints). When I read the in-game description for "normal" in many games I might think "this doesn't apply to anyone who plays more than 10 games a year" (with easy being "2 games a year"). Reviewers might not play on this setting, the one which make mechanics matter most, but that just tells reviews are not exercises of expertise or in-depth analysis. They may be spending too much time worrying about people who play on easy mode (which is what normal mode is, to put it bluntly. Saying otherwise would be like saying 50 on a test is passing).

I disagree with your idea that cover is particularly good, putting aside difficulty. A large portion of the game's bestiary are not really concerned with you being in cover, they just want to get in close (and these enemies are mixed with ranged attackers time to time, especially in Chris and Jake's campaign). Then you have to consider sequences where you are being attacked from all directions and cover isn't an option. Sometimes these enemies are mean BOWs or mutated zombies who need to get the away from. If you need some specific scenarios, without spoilers, think to the times where you have to wait for a door to open such as in Leon 2 or Chris 5. If nothing else, cover just slows you down (it being especially sloppy concerning the genre and whatnot).

The campaign encounters should have been like the Steal Beast Mercs map, multiple level environments, utilised well for continuous combat.
Enemies parachuting into battle
on that map is a more impressive cinematic touch than just about anything in the actual story.

Uh... are we going to pretend Steel Beast, with parachuting enemies, isn't a direct rip from the campaign (though without the co-op split)? To Steel Beast's credit it has later appearing enemies.

Ken

I never said cover was good; I just said the game definitely allows you to just take cover and mow down enemies with bullets on normal difficulty which is probably where all the comparisons to Gears or CoD come from. However, since normal difficulty doesn't register in conversation for you then I guess that's that as I don't have the patience to play through the campaign on professional at this moment.

Sojgat

Uh... are we going to pretend Steel Beast, with parachuting enemies, isn't a direct rip from the campaign (though without the co-op split)? To Steel Beast's credit it has later appearing enemies.

The same environment is used in the campaign (not all of it however),
enemies still parachute in, but the design of the encounter is pushing in a straight line using cover from a tank and snipers if you're playing as Chris. If you're Piers you kill a few guys in rooms and snipe a petrol tank.
In mercs you have a 3 level open environment full of many different types of enemies in an ongoing battle. It's more impressive within that context.

I agree that cover is kind of pointless, it's only good for stamina regen and avoiding snipers, even then it's usually better to just roll around on the ground (stabilizes sniper rifles better anyway). The only other times I use it are in super tight environments with J'avos like Chris chapter 1. Encounters mostly just aren't designed around using it, but I think it works fine (apart fron the over the top blur).

Riposte

The same environment is used in the campaign (not all of it however),
enemies still parachute in, but the design of the encounter is pushing in a staight line using cover from a tank and snipers if you're playing as Chris. If you're Piers you kill a few guys in rooms and snipe a petrol tank.
In mercs you have a 3 level open environment full of many different types of enemies in an ongoing battle. It's more impressive within that context.

Fair enough, your specifics threw me off.

Normally this is why I like Mercenaries more than any one campaign encounter in previous Resident Evils (especially RE5's PC version) and play it despite finding playing for score unappealing (not that I don't appreciate the motivation the combo timer gives). However two things I feel shifts the balance is that the Mercenaries has a dull build-up (and this is AFTER counting the eventually tiring need to get all the time bonuses) which makes a good chuck of the time you are doing it less appealing than any one great encounter in the campaign (on Steel Beast I feel like there are way too few enemies at times) and the combat system finds a full use (or at least as much use as any Mercenaries map will get you) within the campaign making the need of a "kill room" less apparent. The campaign does break up combat more, but it usually spices it up through interesting co-op moments and genuine bosses. I think bringing up vehicle sections as what the game is doing between combat is a little disingenuous. There is way more variety going on and while vehicle sections range from mediocre to annoying, they are at most as plentiful as they are on Bayonetta. Two a campaign if you are unlucky.

Sojgat

Fair enough, your specifics threw me off.

Normally this is why I like Mercenaries more than any one campaign encounter in previous Resident Evils (especially RE5's PC version) and play it despite finding playing for score unappealing (not that I don't appreciate the motivation the combo timer gives). However two things I feel shifts the balance is that the Mercenaries has a dull build-up (and this is AFTER counting the eventually tiring need to get all the time bonuses) which makes a good chuck of the time you are doing it less appealing than any one great encounter in the campaign (on Steel Beast I feel like there are too few enemies way at times) and the combat system finds a full use (or at least as much use as any Mercenaries map will get you) within the campaign making the need of a "kill room" less apparent. The campaign does break up combat more, but it usually spices it up through interesting co-op moments and genuine bosses. I think bringing up vehicle sections as what the game is doing between combat is a little disingenuous. There is way more variety going on and while vehicle sections range from mediocre to annoying, they are at most as plentiful as they are on Bayonetta. Two a campaign if you are unlucky.

I'm not saying it's awful, I've played most of the campaigns 3 times, it just lacks variety, more across single campaigns than the entire game. Leon's encounters are all to similar, so are Chris's. The best experience I've had, is most recently playing the chronological order, it's much better that way.

Mercs really seems designed around 2 players who absolutely know what they're doing (really the whole game does). One person starts the combo while the other guy runs around smashing the crystals, and killing the odd enemy to keep the combo going. Battle amps up really fast this way, but again, with 2 good players it's way too easy. The whole game needs higher difficulty settings.

Riposte

Finding people to play with on Professional is impossible.

Is it only professional?

I didn't have trouble finding rooms, but I restricted myself to freshly started games or games from the previous chapter about to end because I didn't (and still don't) have a good grasp on how to get credit for a game you join.

On that: If you join in earlier in a chapter that you have progressed in (lets say you've at least reached a later "Saving" (typewriter icon) point), do you always get credit? I finally did this with Leon 5 and it seemed to work...

Astral

Is it only professional?

I didn't have trouble finding rooms, but I restricted myself to freshly started games or games from the previous chapter about to end because I didn't (and still don't) have a good grasp on how to get credit for a game you join.

On that: If you join in earlier in a chapter that you have progressed in (lets say you've at least reached a later "Saving" (typewriter icon) point), do you always get credit? I finally did this with Leon 5 and it seemed to work...

I mostly see Amateur and Normal rooms so I guess it's just Professional that very little people play.

Bladenic

Joining people's games and playing through with them is so fun. I almost never see people playing Chris's campaign though, it's mostly Leon with a few Jakes.

I still think Leon's campaign is the best though. Overall, the best locales and perhaps the most variety in the locales too, and also the most boss encounters with, again, the most variety.

I love the whole game though. I truly think it's undeserving of the extremely low scores. The 7s and the 6s I can see, but anything below that is ludicrous imo. Again though, I really think this is a game that gets so much better and more fun on replays and once you get better at the gameplay. Shame. At least it will sell like crazy.

Edit: Yeah nobody seems to play Professional, rarely even Veteran. Finding people at intersections seems sort of hard too, which is kind of strange given the amount of people supposedly playing the game.

Sojgat

Eurogamer said:
Survivors Mode sees players respawn as enemies. You'll be able to resurrect as human if you kill two other players first. The last man or team standing wins.

Meanwhile, Siege Mode will see players fighting over or protecting a single NPC.

Finally, in Predator Mode, one player takes on the role of the Ustanak, the fearsome B.O.W. that stalks Jake Muller throughout his campaign. The other players must kill Ustanak or at least survive until the end of the session.

Survivors mode sounds the most promising to me. I can't find more specifics for this stuff though, if the DLC includes new maps usable in Mercs it's fine, if it's just the modes it seems like kind of a ripoff.

Sectus

Are you talking about this video? http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/10/16/resident-evil-6-spoiler-filled-developer-interview (lots of spoilers in the video)

It's the most recent one, but it's about the development of 6, not the future of the series.

Some of the stuff mentioned in that interview is bananas.

Chris dying?

The various Adas seen in RE games are actually different clones?

I'm glad they dropped those ideas as they wouldn't have worked out well at all. The former could have worked, but as they said, it would be mostly seen as a cheap trick to surprise the player.

Survivors mode sounds the most promising to me. I can't find more specifics for this stuff though, if the DLC includes new maps usable in Mercs it's fine, if it's just the modes it seems like kind of a ripoff.

I posted specifics about this a ton of pages ago. There's another multiplayer mode which is basically competitive mercenaries, and once all DLC is released there will be 10 maps available for all modes (this includes the 3 maps in the base game and the 3 pre order maps).

There's no known release dates, but I'll be very surprised if the extra maps are released at a wildly different time.

Sojgat

Some of the stuff mentioned in that interview is bananas.

Chris dying?

The various Adas seen in RE games are actually different clones?

I'm glad they dropped those ideas as they wouldn't have worked out well at all. The former could have worked, but as they said, it would be mostly seen as a cheap trick to surprise the player.

I posted specifics about this a ton of pages ago. There's another multiplayer mode which is basically competitive mercenaries, and once all DLC is released there will be 10 maps available for all modes (this includes the 3 maps in the base game and the 3 pre order maps).

There's no known release dates, but I'll be very surprised if the extra maps are released at a wildly different time.

Cheers. Competitve Mercs sounds interesting.

Curufinwe

I just got done with my Chris chapter 4 and I probably liked it the most of any chapter so far. Even on Normal I tend to run fairly low on ammo for the best guns, so I'm glad I didn't start out on a higher difficulty.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to power through Chris 4 and 5 on Professional and then move onto Jake but I really don't want to deal with Raskplanje.

Ugh. The one part of this game that actively annoys me.

Joining people's games and playing through with them is so fun. I almost never see people playing Chris's campaign though, it's mostly Leon with a few Jakes.

I still think Leon's campaign is the best though. Overall, the best locales and perhaps the most variety in the locales too, and also the most boss encounters with, again, the most variety.

Chris' campaign is a mess. Jakes isn't as bad, but still has too many J'avo-with-guns type enemies. That shit just doesn't play well, I often ran out of ammo in Chris' because of how many damn enemies there were and how bad it was to fight them.

Leons first chapter is probably my favourite. Great environments, reminiscent of RE2 and RE3, and just had some great moments, including the intro cutscene. Plus, shooting zombies/mutated zombies etc was a lot more fun imo.

Chris' campaign is a mess. Jakes isn't as bad, but still has too many J'avo-with-guns type enemies. That shit just doesn't play well, I often ran out of ammo in Chris' because of how many damn enemies there were and how bad it was to fight them.

Leons first chapter is probably my favourite. Great environments, reminiscent of RE2 and RE3, and just had some great moments, including the intro cutscene. Plus, shooting zombies/mutated zombies etc was a lot more fun imo.

It was the best for me. Knife and melee is his specialty.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Equip item drop and you're set. Hell, I've been playing on Professional without item drop and you still don't run out of ammo if you utilize melee properly.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I turned off Item Drop in favor of Lock On level 2, but maybe I don't need that. Other skills are level 2 melee and firepower.

The two skills I'd say are the best are Firearm Level 3 and Defense Level 3 (or Breakout if you're playing as Leon). Melee is powerful enough if you set it up properly with headshots, and even without Lock On you can aim properly over long distances (use the laser sight, not the crosshairs).

Daigoro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK534FYpRdM - My 150 combo solo run of Mining the Depths as Ada2.

damn badass. i need to watch this for some tips. i cant get shit in this level.

keep em coming!

I really want to power through Chris 4 and 5 on Professional and then move onto Jake but I really don't want to deal with Raskplanje.

i cant wait to do Chris on Pro! no one has been around the last few days so ive been doing pretty much only Mercs.

Sojgat

It would be a cool enemy if it wasn't
for the key hunts, and the full form "touch me and you die" crap

This is the exact opposite of what I think.

Chris's campaign has some of the best encounters, running out of ammo is probably a sign that you're not playing it as the devs intended. Not a dig at you but rather at them for never communicating properly that "hey this game that looks just like a cover shooter, that can be played just like a cover shooter, don't play it like that". Even without any ammo drop skills I have never run out of ammo even on pro.

Leon's first chapter is the only one where the enemy behaviour is inconsistent with the rest of the game, playing using the breakout skill is pretty much a requirement because of this. Force walking, constant mini cutscenes, and cinematic events are all painful IMO. If by intro cutscene, you mean the prologue, then it's one of the worst things I have ever played.

Jake's campaign is like the midpoint where these two experiences meet, and then have bad set piece babies.

I would still put RE6 somewhere (near the bottom) of my top 10 GOTY list, but you've stated that all the stuff I hate most about it, as being what you really liked.

Most divisive game ever.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
i cant wait to do Chris on Pro! no one has been around the last few days so ive been doing pretty much only Mercs.

If you're up for doing Chris 4 and 5 at some point let me know, I really wanna get those over with lol.

I'm never playing Chris's Chapter 3 on Professional ever again. What a colossal turd.

I actually played Chris 3 on Professional and I highly suggest playing it solo with Field Medic Level 2. That makes the
helicopter
fights super easy. Just set the AI to "follow" and spam your grenade launcher. Every time you enter the dying state you will be instantly revived with three health blocks. It's an easy way to cheese most of this game on Pro.

It would be a cool enemy if it wasn't
for the key hunts, and the full form "touch me and you die" crap

Agreed. They really make it so lame by adding that search aspect to the level.

Daigoro

If you're up for doing Chris 4 and 5 at some point let me know, I really wanna get those over with lol.

I actually played Chris 3 on Professional and I highly suggest playing it solo with Field Medic Level 2. That makes the
helicopter
fights super easy. Just set the AI to "follow" and spam your grenade launcher. Every time you enter the dying state you will be instantly revived with three health blocks. It's an easy way to cheese most of this game on Pro.

im up for it. ill be around a few nights later this week.

Astral

helicopter

That's like the best part of that chapter. The constant fear of those things getting up again and killing you is wonderful. If anything in that chapter is bad it's the beginning. There's like a million enemies and snipers. Fuck snipers. Any segment with snipers sucks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's like the best part of that chapter. The constant fear of those things getting up again and killing you is wonderful. If anything in that chapter is bad it's the beginning. There's like a million enemies and snipers. Fuck snipers. Any segment with snipers sucks.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the first section, which is just a clusterfuck of enemies shooting at you, but I will take that over the Raskaplanje. I really, really dislike that enemy's sections. In all the campaigns. I'm not even afraid of them, I just want to get through that part as quickly as possible without shooting anything because there's really no point in wasting ammo on it.

AlexBasch

Just curious, what was the general consensus in Versus mode of RE5? I just played it until now with the GE and aside from suffering from the stiffness of the old controls, I found it to be kinda fun. Leading enemies to the rival team was fun.

Definitely not the best mode, but wasn't too bad and I couldn't stop imagining how it would work with RE6 and all the maneuvers you can pull out now.

Neff

Yeah I'm not a fan of the first section, which is just a clusterfuck of enemies shooting at you, but I will take that over the Raskaplanje. I really, really dislike that enemy's sections. In all the campaigns. I'm not even afraid of them, I just want to get through that part as quickly as possible without shooting anything because there's really no point in wasting ammo on it.

They drop stuff when you 'kill' them, so it's economically viable, not to mention making your progress safer, because they can be bastards.

Riposte

Maybe my favorite enemy in the game. Loved them in Leon's campaign because the scenario at first seems safe and in your favor, but it slowly gets dicier. Worked well with the setting too.

EDIT: One reason I like them is that they fit as a challenge against characters with a bunch of ammo with several guns.

Sojgat

I have a confession to make: I haven't played Mercenaries solo yet. Is it fun? Or is duo where it's at?

It's awesome. The drawbacks are sometimes losing your combo because you can't find any enemies (don't blow up big groups because this can mess you up) and having to run around and smash all the crystals at the start. Getting 150 combo solo is a good challenge, fighting a ton of enemies in close quarters feels great, just going through all the different methods of not getting hit and managing the crowd. I actually like it better solo, co-op is either too easy when you find somebody else who knows what they're doing, or frustrating when you get people who don't know how to play.

Top Bottom