• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a confession to make: I haven't played Mercenaries solo yet. Is it fun? Or is duo where it's at?

It's harder solo... as far as I can tell you get the exact same enemies solo or duo... and you don't have anyone to save your combo if you hit a dry patch. But all enemies are coming for you, so there's less chance of that anyway.

I die sometimes in solo. I'm hesitant to grab all the time, because I want to actually finish the round instead of getting killed at the end and losing all the skill pickups and whatnot.

More hectic, more tense, more challenging.

Whether that's a pro or con will vary with one's taste I'd imagine.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I feel like Mercs solo is probably a lot more stressful since you're dealing with all the enemies by yourself and there's no one around to pick up your slack. It's probably also more fun if you do it properly, but I game when I want to unwind and I feel like that would be counterproductive.

I'm debating whether or not to jump in though while this Urban Chaos event is ongoing. Do we even get anything good for participating?

Daigoro

its not the Urban Chaos event yet, just kill zombies one. but there are a ton in UC anyways.

go try to beat my solo score! still havent gotten a 150 combo yet myself...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah I feel like Mercs solo is probably a lot more stressful since you're dealing with all the enemies by yourself and there's no one around to pick up your slack. It's probably also more fun if you do it properly, but I game when I want to unwind and I feel like that would be counterproductive.

I'm debating whether or not to jump in though while this Urban Chaos event is ongoing. Do we even get anything good for participating?

The daily login bonus on RE.net will get you more points than you can possibly win even if you place in the contest iirc lol

Ken

In some ways it's less stressful to me since you will know when and where the enemies are whereas playing co-op, enemies you expect to be at a certain location might already be dead ruining your plans.

Maaseru

Banned
So this game has a really good combat system? This is what's best about a RE game...why didn't they make a new original franchise off of that battle system.

So this game has a really good combat system? This is what's best about a RE game...why didn't they make a new original franchise off of that battle system.
It is too late in the generation for that sort of move. New IP are far far better off in the early years of a console generation.

It would be a cool enemy if it wasn't
for the key hunts, and the full form "touch me and you die" crap

This is the exact opposite of what I think.

Chris's campaign has some of the best encounters, running out of ammo is probably a sign that you're not playing it as the devs intended. Not a dig at you but rather at them for never communicating properly that "hey this game that looks just like a cover shooter, that can be played just like a cover shooter, don't play it like that". Even without any ammo drop skills I have never run out of ammo even on pro.

Leon's first chapter is the only one where the enemy behaviour is inconsistent with the rest of the game, playing using the breakout skill is pretty much a requirement because of this. Force walking, constant mini cutscenes, and cinematic events are all painful IMO. If by intro cutscene, you mean the prologue, then it's one of the worst things I have ever played.

Jake's campaign is like the midpoint where these two experiences meet, and then have bad set piece babies.

I would still put RE6 somewhere (near the bottom) of my top 10 GOTY list, but you've stated that all the stuff I hate most about it, as being what you really liked.

Most divisive game ever.

What are some of Chris' best encounters? Most of the time I was fighting too many J'avo with too little ammo. Too many mutations, which takes additional ammo. Too many variants of basically the same enemy, J'avo V2 etc...

Even with the item drop skill, regardless of how he game is "intended" to be played like, having that shit happen more than once is *annoying*. Whether you played through this game killing every enemy with one bullet, the ammo is scarce, period, especially for the amount of enemies and just general shit they throw at the player.

I don't play this game as cover shooter. If I did, I would have smashed my 360 with a hammer in rage by now. Giantbomb made a good point of saying how Capcom just tries too damn hard to tap into the shooter mechanics, and the result is a clunky mess. Chris' campaign reveals this more than any of them, since his entire dudebro campaign is essentially 99% shooting. Oh, and a few times I ran out of ammo during a mini boss fight and a couple boss fights...Capcom shouldn't let that shit happen! When does a game ever let you run out of ammo IN A BOSS FIGHT! That shit is ridiculous! Can't think of any game ever where I've run out of ammo in a boss fight.

At least Leons campaign had some atmosphere, a what-the-fuck is going on intro cutscene and some action more traditional RE business...zombies. Zombies are fun to fight, not fifty different J'avo variations. And btw, I'm pretty sure Chris campaign had some force walking going on, as well as "cinematic events". By that you mean QTE's right? QTE'S in this game are generally horrible.

When I've heard people saying this game is doing too fucking much, I very much agree.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was swimming in ammo towards the end of Chris' campaign. I'm playing it on Professional right now with no Item Drop skill and I'm still swimming in ammo. The first two chapters choke your ammo supply, but in Chapters 3 - 5 they throw it at you in spades.

Daigoro

The daily login bonus on RE.net will get you more points than you can possibly win even if you place in the contest iirc lol

that bonus is supposed to end soon though. end of the month i think.

still the points for contests seem very light. im not sure if its known if there are any other prizes besides though.

antitrop

I was swimming in ammo towards the end of Chris' campaign. I'm playing it on Professional right now with no Item Drop skill and I'm still swimming in ammo. The first two chapters choke your ammo supply, but in Chapters 3 - 5 they throw it at you in spades.
I felt like I found all the ammo in Chris' campaign, conserved, and used mainly melee and I had an ammo issue for the final boss, sort of.

Sojgat

What are some of Chris' best encounters? Most of the time I was fighting too many J'avo with too little ammo. Too many mutations, which takes additional ammo. Too many variants of basically the same enemy, J'avo V2 etc...

Even with the item drop skill, regardless of how he game is "intended" to be played like, having that shit happen more than once is *annoying*. Whether you played through this game killing every enemy with one bullet, the ammo is scarce, period, especially for the amount of enemies and just general shit they throw at the player.

I don't play this game as cover shooter. If I did, I would have smashed my 360 with a hammer in rage by now. Giantbomb made a good point of saying how Capcom just tries too damn hard to tap into the shooter mechanics, and the result is a clunky mess. Chris' campaign reveals this more than any of them, since his entire dudebro campaign is essentially 99% shooting. Oh, and a few times I ran out of ammo during a mini boss fight and a couple boss fights...Capcom shouldn't let that shit happen! When does a game ever let you run out of ammo IN A BOSS FIGHT! That shit is ridiculous! Can't think of any game ever where I've run out of ammo in a boss fight.

At least Leons campaign had some atmosphere, a what-the-fuck is going on intro cutscene and some action more traditional RE business...zombies. Zombies are fun to fight, not fifty different J'avo variations. And btw, I'm pretty sure Chris campaign had some force walking going on, as well as "cinematic events". By that you mean QTE's right? QTE'S in this game are generally horrible.

When I've heard people saying this game is doing too fucking much, I very much agree.

Most of the encounters in Chris's campaign where you're just fighting enemies, uninterrupted by scripted sequences or mini cutscenes are really good IMO. To get the most out of the encounters you have to use all the tools the game gives you (including all the moves and explosives). You have to know what attacks work best on each enemy in their various states (stunned, transformed, attack, standing, etc) For example with the strelats, flash them/wait for them to turtle/ attack them from behind, then run up and do the QTE combo. Since there is no good tutorial, to know this stuff you just have to have played the game already, which makes first time play frustrating and repeat play very rewarding.

To avoid gunfire/snipers/rockets you have to keep moving, rolling and shooting when laying on the ground helps. Using cover is useful sometimes, so are the flash grenades, and certain skills upgrades help to. There are a lot of things you can do.

Running out of ammo in a boss fight is stupid I agree, other games solve this by having infinite ammo in cinematic moments, and plentiful pickups during boss fights. RE has become an action game but kept the survival horror inventory, which can be a big problem at times.

By cinematic events I mean like shooting a
shark/zombies on the other side of a door/bus load of zombies
for literally 3 seconds then loading back into more cutscenes or force walking. QTE prompts aren't labled well. Use the both sticks at once and buffer the command before the prompt comes up to make them easy (this involves knowing what grappling QTE etc you are going to get in any case and some are randomized). This is a real design flaw that Capcom should fix. Grappling QTEs are harder in the first chapter and first area of chapter 2 in Leon's campaign.

I also agree the game tries to do too much, some of it is awful, some of it's great. The thing is most people think this, but still disagree over which parts are which.

Trigger

I never have enough ammo in Chris's campaign, but maybe it's because of the large number of firefights and the use of automatic weapons?

kunonabi

I just quick shot > melee > run (when possible) and it saves me plenty of ammo. Honestly isn't that much different than how I played RE4.

Playing RE6 has given me much a deeper appreciation for Binary Domain. I'm half way through Chris's Campaign and it's one of the most boring games I've played in years.

Astral

I didn't realize so many people had such huge ammo issues with Chris. I only ran out of ammo with him once but by the end I had way too much. I couldn't pick up herbs. It helps if you burst fire.

Sojgat

I never have enough ammo in Chris's campaign, but maybe it's because of the large number of firefights and the use of automatic weapons?

Quick shot, head shot, dash attacks, flash grenades, etc. All stun enemies, setting them up for melee attacks or finishers. You need to close the gap between you and the enemies, not just unload full clips on them.

Most of the encounters in Chris's campaign where you're just fighting enemies, uninterupted by scripted sequences or mini cutscenes are really good IMO. To get the most out of the encounters you have to use all the tools the game gives you (including all the moves and explosives). You have to know what attacks work best on each enemy in their various states (stunned, transformed, attack, standing, etc) For example with the strelats, flash them/wait for them to turtle/ attack them from behind, then run up and do the QTE combo. Since there is no good tutorial, to know this stuff you just have to have played the game already, which makes first time play frustrating and repeat play very rewarding.

To avoid gunfire/snipers/rockets you have to keep moving, rolling and shooting when laying on the ground helps. Using cover is useful sometimes, so are the flash grenades, and certain skills upgrades help to. There are a lot of things you can do.

Running out of ammo in a boss fight is stupid I agree, other games solve this by having infinite ammo in cinematic moments, and plentiful pickups during boss fights. RE has become an action game but kept the survival horror inventory, which can be a big problem at times.

By cinematic events I mean like shooting a
shark/zombies on the other side of a door/bus load of zombies
for literally 3 seconds then loading back into more cutscenes or force walking. QTE prompts aren't labled well. Use the both sticks at once and buffer the command before the prompt comes up to make them easy (this involves knowing what grappling QTE etc you are going to get in any case and some are randomized). This is a real design flaw that Capcom should fix. Grappling QTEs are harder in the first chapter and first area of chapter 2 in Leon's campaign.

I also agree the game tries to do too much, some of it is awful, some of it's great. The thing is most people think this, but still disagree over which parts are which.

Good reply. I'll be replaying the game soon with the gf, so I think then we'll have more of a fun time. It's definitely a divisive game like you said earlier, which I think is pretty cool since good debates can be had around it all.

And I agree, there's some fantastic stuff in this game, regardless of what particular content that is, and there is some stuff Capcom needs to seriously think over and address. Overall though I'm glad I've got the game, I'm very fond of it despite my posts telling otherwise lol.

Would be nice if I had live, could co op it with someone here but I don't use live enough to warrant the purchase price tbh.

I just quick shot > melee > run (when possible) and it saves me plenty of ammo. Honestly isn't that much different than how I played RE4.

Playing RE6 has given me much a deeper appreciation for Binary Domain. I'm half way through Chris's Campaign and it's one of the most boring games I've played in years.

See I used to do that, but not all the time. Maybe I'll do it more often. I think playing with someone would lift the quality of the experiences up too since one can be more shooting focused and the other more melee. Hmmm.

Astral

Good reply. I'll be replaying the game soon with the gf, so I think then we'll have more of a fun time. It's definitely a divisive game like you said earlier, which I think is pretty cool since good debates can be had around it all.

And I agree, there's some fantastic stuff in this game, regardless of what particular content that is, and there is some stuff Capcom needs to seriously think over and address. Overall though I'm glad I've got the game, I'm very fond of it despite my posts telling otherwise lol.

Would be nice if I had live, could co op it with someone here but I don't use live enough to warrant the purchase price tbh.

See I used to do that, but not all the time. Maybe I'll do it more often. I think playing with someone would lift the quality of the experiences up too since one can be more shooting focused and the other more melee. Hmmm.

Chris's melee is devastating. I like stunning enemies with Piers and have Chris melee the shit out of them.

Maaseru

Banned
Why does it matter?

Because I've been a fan since the first one and the series has fallen so far. I didn't agree with 4 but it worked and it was fun, this is just a mess. It matters because how can a company screw up so much with such a great franchise for no real reason than to copy something instead of building up on something that worked.

Sojgat

It's interesting, because I think everything RE6 does badly, Binary Domain does right and does better than most other video games. Set piece moments and little one off sequences are handled to perfection in that game, it really shows how it's done. The story is a lot of fun as well. Although the MP modes aren't that great, Binary Domain has the best standard TPS controls of almost any video game. It's far better than Gears in that regard (even if it is a little janky in other areas), even 3 where they finally started to get it feeling right.

Playing RE6 like RE4 will be boring as hell, it's what I did for a long time and hated it. Now I love the game and am actually neglecting other awesome titles I've recently purchased to continue playing it. It's not a standard TPS, it's like Vanquish, the more stylish you play and the deeper you dig into it's mechanics, the more enjoyable it becomes. You can slog through just about any encounter, but dashing around like Batman, without getting hit and taking down all the enemies before they even have a chance, is what makes this game fun.

I finished the final campaign today and I have to ask :
what was inside of that last cocoon?
In fact, the whole last cutscene was baffling.
Why did Ada get so angry? Who was that man begging in the recordings before the cutscene?
I've got many other questions, but most of them are more about background details. I'm just amazed at how poorly this game presents its core plot.

One more question, less plot oriented:
Why was Ada naked inside of the suit she used to infiltrate the sub? Was it just mindless fanservice? How the hell does something like that make the final cut?

I finished the final campaign today and I have to ask :
what was inside of that last cocoon?
In fact, the whole last cutscene was baffling.
Why did Ada get so angry? Who was that man begging in the recordings before the cutscene?
I've got many other questions, but most of them are more about background details. I'm just amazed at how poorly this game presents its core plot.

One more question, less plot oriented:
Why was Ada naked inside of the suit she used to infiltrate the sub? Was it just mindless fanservice? How the hell does something like that make the final cut?

I think it was alluding to when
The Carla/Ada doppelganger emerged from her cocoon. Fan service like you said.

Also, I think it was a third Ada clone that she shot.

JoeFenix

One of the scores is

How is that even possible? I am really annoyed if Capcom doesn't actually make this system RELIABLE and ACCURATE.

Are those 360 leaderboards or PS3?

360 versions are always full of cheaters and hackers, Dragon's Dogma Ur Dragon was abused on 360 almost immeditately while it's still fine on PS3. Same for Dark Souls.

haikira

Been playing some Mercs here and there, with a friend, in splitscreen. We've had no luck getting the second player to equip a perk though. He's been using an offline profile exclusive to my console. Can you only have one perk between two players, or are we doing something wrong?

Cheers.

Been playing some Mercs here and there, with a friend, in splitscreen. We've had no luck getting the second player to equip a perk though. He's been using an offline profile exclusive to my console. Can you only have one perk between two players, or are we doing something wrong?

Cheers.

Have him log in with the profile and just play past the opening intro so he can get to the main menu and get to the Mercenaries. Its painfully long process just to equip perks but its the only way i found to do it.

High Five for Split Screen though best way to play this game

haikira

Have him log in with the profile and just play past the opening intro so he can get to the main menu and get to the Mercenaries. Its painfully long process just to equip perks but its the only way i found to do it.

High Five for Split Screen though best way to play this game

Cheers.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. We're still having trouble getting anything great outside of the first map, but it's a lot of fun and very addictive anyway and we're getting a little better each time.

Glad to see there's more maps already in the pipeline for it.

News Bot

Banned
Some of the stuff mentioned in that interview is bananas.

Chris dying?

The various Adas seen in RE games are actually different clones?

I'm glad they dropped those ideas as they wouldn't have worked out well at all. The former could have worked, but as they said, it would be mostly seen as a cheap trick to surprise the player.

Cloning has never been part of the BIO world? It's been part of the series since the first game. B.O.W.s are mass-produced via cloning. There's also Sergei Vladimir and the Ashford twins on the human side. But I'm glad they told Sasaki to shove that retarded idea of his.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Spoiler referring to an interview:

I'm actually surprised the strange theory I formed while watching the stream before playing the game held some sort of merit. I didn't think it was a good idea, but based off of some of the events I had seen at that point in RE6 I was thinking maybe the whole Carla thing was going to suggest that the Ada in RE2 and RE4 were different or something. There's a canonical flaw there thanks to Umbrella Chronicles, but I thought that some of what they laid out in the game sort of pointed to that, so even if it wasn't the final direction I can sort of see the vision in some of the earlier scenes in the game.

What the fuck is this shit?

I finally got around to getting RE6 and started playing as Chris.

-So far the movement feels wrong, like there is no weight to him.
-The camera is too close Chris.
-There is NO FUCKING AMMO! Im getting raped by heaps of guys so I have to just keep running past or using melee.
-Framerate seems to dip a few times.
-Changing my weapons is a cluster fuck. Having to press Y then RB was it?

Turned it off when I died while having to hold out for backup or something.
Bad first impression.

Carbonox

-There is NO FUCKING AMMO! Im getting raped by heaps of guys so I have to just keep running past or using melee.

Bad first impression.

If you have trouble with ammo, take a step back and use L1 & O to target an enemy for your teammate to focus on. Definitely helps.

Also, use the d-pad to switch weapons.

Bad first impression.

Camera: You'll get used to it. Turn the camera speed down to 2 or 3.
Ammo: Use melee. Headshot+melee is usually an insta-kill, also slide or dash attack enemies to stagger them.

You change weapons by pressing the dpad left and right.

Bad first impression.

Welcome to RE6.

Sojgat

Bad first impression.

This seems to be the standard reaction, do not worry, you're not alone.

1. Change your settings - change to the laser reticle, lock the HUD to a side, bump up the aiming speed, always favor preferred hand.

2. The camera is shitful, but you get used to it.

3. You're playing it all wrong (it's not your fault Blame Capcom). Read this PSA: Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop then mess around in Mercs for a while, until you get the hang of the controls.

4. Press left or right on the D-pad to cycle your weapons.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Bad first impression.

People have basically covered everything I was going to say, but the way you play this game is headshot followed by a melee attack. That's usually an instakill and it only takes a few bullets. You can also equip the Item Drop skill if you want to be drowning in ammo (seriously, I had a shit ton).

As far as the camera, I personally have it up at 9 sensitivity because I like whipping it around to see what's around me, but most people prefer it at 2 or 3 sensitivity. It's up to your own preferences on that. And set the camera shoulder setting to "manual."

It's weird, but Capcom doesn't explain shit to you when you play this game. Experiment with the combat system and you'll probably change your mind a little.

GeekyDad

Bad first impression.

Yeah, man, if you've played any other numbered RE game, this game feels all wrong from the outset. But if you stick with it, damn, does it grow on you.

Sectus

So what's the best skill for Mercs besides limit breaker?

After checking out some details about skills, I think limit breaker might actually be one of the worst skills. With limit breaker you get 50 more points for each kill when a combo is 50 or higher. That means 5000 more points in an ideal run.

Compare that to time bonus+ which will give you 50 or 60 more seconds for a match. And you get 200 points for each second on the clock when finishing a match. If you have an extra minute, that's 12000 more points, which is a lot better than limit breaker. And time bonus+ also has the advantage of giving you an extra large time buffer in case things go wrong.

I am considering to switch to power counter if it makes it more likely to kill enemies with weak counters. If I get 6 or more counter kills thanks to that skill, it would already become more valuable than time bonus+.

Are those Merc world records fake? 9999999
Yeah. Those are glitched or scores done via cheating. I've noticed Capcom has been deleting them now and then.

Top Bottom