• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I think it is. Back at launch, I read many complains about "unkillable" invaders with unlimited HP in many places.

I mean the fact that Dark Souls on PS3 dosn't suffer cheaters is false. Plenty of hacking and glitching.

Last time I checked RE6 PS3 leaderboards, scores where reasonable so let's hope it still like that.

I mean the fact that Dark Souls on PS3 dosn't suffer cheaters is false. Plenty of hacking and glitching.

Last time I checked RE6 PS3 leaderboards, scores where reasonable so let's hope it still like that.

Oh yeah, there were also plenty of cheating and glitching on PS3 with the Dragon Head soul glitch business... but no hacking, it's different.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
After checking out some details about skills, I think limit breaker might actually be one of the worst skills. With limit breaker you get 50 more points for each kill when a combo is 50 or higher. That means 5000 more points in an ideal run.

Compare that to time bonus+ which will give you 50 or 60 more seconds for a match. And you get 200 points for each second on the clock when finishing a match. If you have an extra minute, that's 12000 more points, which is a lot better than limit breaker. And time bonus+ also has the advantage of giving you an extra large time buffer in case things go wrong.

I am considering to switch to power counter if it makes it more likely to kill enemies with weak counters. If I get 6 or more counter kills thanks to that skill, it would already become more valuable than time bonus+.

Yeah. Those are glitched or scores done via cheating. I've noticed Capcom has been deleting them now and then.

Hero post.

Anyway... about power counters, I can't really feel a difference with it. Counters are my favorite thing to do. I'll mess around with it a little more, but I just can't really feel the difference so far.

It's kind of difficult to gauge since some of the characters have shitty knockdown counters. With someone like Chris you get a shoulder charge that often pops (zombie) heads (even w/o power counter), but then Ada and the girls do shitty leg sweeps... so damn annoying. Knockdown effect isn't really that beneficial. You still have to run over there and stomp them, and it's only 5+ so the counter actually costs you.

I'm still trying to work it all out...

Sectus

Hero post.

Anyway... about power counters, I can't really feel a difference with it. Counters are my favorite thing to do. I'll mess around with it a little more, but I just can't really feel the difference so far.

It's kind of difficult to gauge since some of the characters have shitty knockdown counters. With someone like Chris you get a shoulder charge that often pops (zombie) heads (even w/o power counter), but then Ada and the girls do shitty leg sweeps... so damn annoying. Knockdown effect isn't really that beneficial. You still have to run over there and stomp them, and it's only 5+ so the counter actually costs you.

I'm still trying to work it all out...
I think the counter animation depends on the weapon you're carrying. So a two handed weapon will result in the character hitting the zombie with the actual weapon, while pistols and such will result in the gender specific animation?

I haven't done a lot of tests, but I think in the case of urban chaos, a normal counter against an unarmed zombie will not kill it, while with power counter it will kill.

I've seen some people go with the martial arts skill which increases melee damage but decreases firearm damage (I think it's +25% and -50% respectively) and then focus on killing everything with melees.

I guess it's good there's no skill which is obviously better than everything else, as it would make the decision far less interesting.

Evolved1

I think the counter animation depends on the weapon you're carrying. So a two handed weapon will result in the character hitting the zombie with the actual weapon, while pistols and such will result in the gender specific animation?

I haven't done a lot of tests, but I think in the case of urban chaos, a normal counter against an unarmed zombie will not kill it, while with power counter it will kill.

I've seen some people go with the martial arts skill which increases melee damage but decreases firearm damage (I think it's +25% and -50% respectively) and then focus on killing everything with melees.

I guess it's good there's no skill which is obviously better than everything else, as it would make the decision far less interesting.

Yup, just confirmed this with Chris. Doesn't OHK armored zeds though.

About to test on J'avo and then will run it again with a girl.

Evolved1

So power counter is probably my go-to skill from now on... even against the J'avo it's very useful.

Thanks Sectus for pointing out the attack depends on the weapon you're holding (one hand vs two hand). With a one hand weapon, and power counter enabled, Chris will knock them down. This is annoying. But with a two hand weapon, the counter will double them over, not a heavy stagger to set up coup-de-grace, but another melee will kill them for 5+ and has an AOE that pushes back the group.

And against mutated J'avo, the counter is a OHK. As far as I can tell atm. Don't know if this applies to people who don't run power counter, have to test it. And the mutated J'avo I'm referring to are the big arm guys, haven't had a chance to test against the shield, or been able to land the counter vs the flying douches (tiniest window).

But so far power counter seems worth it. Against J'avo, two handed weapon is better.

I'm going to test Chris' knife and Sherry's stun rod to see if they have any special results. I know Chris has a knife-counter animation vs J'avo, but don't know if it's OHK.

Neiteio

What the fuck is this shit?

I finally got around to getting RE6 and started playing as Chris.

-So far the movement feels wrong, like there is no weight to him.
-The camera is too close Chris.
-There is NO FUCKING AMMO! Im getting raped by heaps of guys so I have to just keep running past or using melee.
-Framerate seems to dip a few times.
-Changing my weapons is a cluster fuck. Having to press Y then RB was it?

Turned it off when I died while having to hold out for backup or something.
Bad first impression.
I had the same first reaction, and nearly put off the game altogether. But then it "clicked" for me, and now it's one of my favorite playing games ever.

First, do the following:

+ Dial the camera speed down from 5 to 2.
+ Dial the aiming speed up from 5 to 7
+ Up the brightness from 20 to 30
+ Changing from "Crosshair" aiming to "Laser sight"

Second, read the tips and tricks, and then practice them in a place where nothing happens -- the first part of Chris Chapter 1, before the street with the fleeing citizens, is a good place to practice running, sliding, dodging, diving, rolling, etc. Only use cover to quickly regain stamina or take out snipers, and know you can slide into cover. You can also regain stamina by lying on the ground, and you can roll while on the ground. You can even do a barrel roll and land right on your feet by releasing Aim mid-roll! Also know that tapping L1 and R1 (or Aim and Shoot) at the same time will pull off an auto-targeting, enemy-stunning quick shot. Know that one bullet to the head or two kicks to an enemy will daze them, and then another kick will trigger a melee takedown. And so on -- really read those tips and tricks, since they're core mechanics essential to the game, yet the game doesn't properly teach you them.

Also, you can scroll through weapons with the D-pad, and equip Item Drop if you need more ammo. As for the camera's proximity to Chris, it changes each scene, and I'm acclimated to it and actually appreciate how it builds tension in certain segments. But the game really should do more to ease you in.

Beyond that, know the chaos in Chris' first couple chapters are largely window dressing -- take it slow, survey your surroundings, and don't feel overwhelmed. When you see an enemy, even gun-toting ones, you should priotize melee attacks most of the time. Throw yourself into the thick of the fray. It slows down later in that campaign. :)

Lima

Only do the brightness thing if your TV is really messed up and you don't know how to properly set it up. The default brightness in RE6 is perfect.

Limpiz

Neo Member
Does this game never end? I've been playing for 15 hours and it does not end.
Horrible cameras, horrible animation and the bossfight on Chris's chapters fudge me, worst boss ever.

kunonabi

Finished the Chris campaign

I appreciate some of the tweaks to make melee less overpowered but at the end of the day you can still just melee everything in sight anyway. The stamina gauge really never got in the way. The Javo seemed like a waste as well. A bunch of them seem to have scripted transformations regardless of where you hit them. They also die too quickly after a transformation so there really isn't any reason to avoid certain transformations.

The game is also pitifully easy. Only significant damage came from being blindsided by rocket launchers.

Right now the game is sitting behind RE5 in terms of gameplay and I didn't care for RE5 at all. Story and characters aren't nearly as annoying so far. It helps that most of that stuff is mostly absent of Chris's game.

Should be playing through Leon's game tonight.

The more I think about the Leon & Ada thing the more it bugs me.
RE6 is 15 years after Leon and Ada met, it was 7 years until RE4. Its now 8 years between 4 & 6. If they wanted to keep it drawn out they should at least hint that they had some minor run ins between games

Bladenic

The more I think about the Leon & Ada thing the more it bugs me.
RE6 is 15 years after Leon and Ada met, it was 6 years until RE4. Its now 8 years between 4 & 6. If they wanted to keep it drawn out they should at least hint that they had some minor run ins between games

I agree, drawn out doesn't even describe it well enough.
It makes Ada look like the biggest tease ever, while Leon looks desperate, pathetic, etc. ETC. The Chris/Leon scene had me wishing Chris would just pop Leon in the head.

Nori Chan

I honestly think when a new person comes into this thread, the first question we should ask him/her if he/she knows how to slide, dodge, and quickshot.

those in favor say aye

I agree, drawn out doesn't even describe it well enough.
It makes Ada look like the biggest tease ever, while Leon looks desperate, pathetic, etc. ETC. The Chris/Leon scene had me wishing Chris would just pop Leon in the head.

yeah, if the relationship had closure in this game I would have been fine with it, but now is it going to be 20years later before it gets settled ?

The Chris & Jill thing is fine because they likely work with each other everyday and have for years.

Let's say I shot all the emblems in a chapter. Can I just quit after it saved or do I need to finish the chapter?

pretty sure you can.

Evolved1

I honestly think when a new person comes into this thread, the first question we should ask him/her if he/she knows how to slide, dodge, and quickshot.

those in favor say aye

NAY!

But did you sllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide into cover!?

We mustn't return to this! haha

I think I'm just going to play RE5 again, which is definitely a superior game to 6. The Leon campaign went well enough but Chris's was offensive and Jakes so far is just...odd. The snow mountain mission is just...awful.

I'll see if I can finish it. It's tough.

I think I'm just going to play RE5 again, which is definitely a superior game to 6. The Leon campaign went well enough but Chris's was offensive and Jakes so far is just...odd. The snow mountain mission is just...awful.

I'll see if I can finish it. It's tough.

I can't understand this mindset.
He had 1/2 a chapter that was actually bad.

Neiteio

I'm digging this Oct. 10 Mercs vid Sectus did: Ada and Sherry EX in Rail Yard -- 150 combo. I hadn't seen this map before, and there are some cool transformations like the J'avo with bee stingers for a head. Also nice to see some Ada play in Mercs. She's definitely one of the more visually striking characters in the game: red jacket, walks with swagger, etc. I played the second and third chapters in the
Ada campaign
last night and absolutely loved the new perspective on things, especially in the third chapter (
sniping the chainsaw monster was fun!
).

Bladenic

yeah, if the relationship had closure in this game I would have been fine with it, but now is it going to be 20years later before it gets settled ?

The Chris & Jill thing is fine because they likely work with each other everyday and have for years.

pretty sure you can.

Yeah, I prefer Chris/Jill WAY more than Leon/Ada. I really wish Capcom would stop screwing with the fans and just make these relationships HAPPEN and stuff. Like, actually show us Chris and Jill being in a relationship. Make Ada retire or something so she can be with Leon.

At least Jake and Sherry were pretty much made canon in this game. They better be together in RE7, even though
they seem to go their separate ways at the end.

I can't understand this mindset.
He had 1/2 a chapter that was actually bad.

The reason is simple : RE6 as a gun on gun TPS just doesn't stand up to genre standards. Aside from running away from the giant BOW I don't know that there were any moments in that campaign that stand out at all as being enjoyable.

Yeah, I prefer Chris/Jill WAY more than Leon/Ada. I really wish Capcom would stop screwing with the fans and just make these relationships HAPPEN and stuff. Like, actually show us Chris and Jill being in a relationship

I don't think they were ever really a thing.

Why do people like Ada? She is a horrible person who just screws people over. Her helping Leon once in a while doesn't change that shes a killer and constantly fucks folks over.

Neiteio

Why do people like Ada? She is a horrible person who just screws people over. Her helping Leon once in a while doesn't change that shes a killer and constantly fucks folks over.
I'm not pushing for Ada and Leon to be together, but what makes you say Ada is a "killer?" I'm trying to think of a non-monster she killed. I don't doubt you, I just honestly can't remember. Is it because of the role she arguably played stealing viruses that led to outbreaks? She seems to take pity on the towns, etc, in RE6.

Evolved1

Yeah, I prefer Chris/Jill WAY more than Leon/Ada. I really wish Capcom would stop screwing with the fans and just make these relationships HAPPEN and stuff. Like, actually show us Chris and Jill being in a relationship. Make Ada retire or something so she can be with Leon.

At least Jake and Sherry were pretty much made canon in this game. They better be together in RE7, even though
they seem to go their separate ways at the end.

It doesn't make sense for Chris and Jill to be in a relationship, even if they do like one another.

Consider that they met as members of STARS... there would be strict rules about that... as professionals they aren't allowed to be in any kind of relationship. So from the beginning they'd be partner first, just to keep their jobs and maintain a professional atmosphere. And then the mansion incident. Now you have a partner who helped keep you alive during the worst possible thing you could experience. That's a good partner... you don't possibly compromise that with a fling that could ruin the partnership. And anyway, after that your primary goal is revenge against Umbrella, who killed all of your teammates and did other unspeakable shit... they aren't at that moment looking to settle down with two kids and a white picket fence. They help form the BSAA. They are driven toward that purpose. Not getting together. Whatever feelings they have would just strengthen their partnership and resolve.

Maybe when they get old and leave the fight... but people in the BSAA aren't looking for normality... they are fighting for it. They understand it isn't possible until the bioweapons threat is resolved.

That's an incredibly dorky post that I'm somewhat ashamed of even typing, but despite this... I think it makes sense. Imo the Chris & Jill relationship is the most realistic of them all. They are military professionals, and very driven in a common goal, and put their partnership ahead of personal feelings (if they even have any).

Ninjimbo

Well, dat ass.

Other than that, I've never liked Ada. She's too mysterious and is betraying everybody.

Neiteio

It actually would make a lot of sense for Chris and Jill to be together. They're both driven by the same causes and few could truly relate with what they've gone through. They clearly care deeply about one another (Revelations makes this very apparent), and romantic feelings have been known to develop between individuals facing harrowing situations. They could easily write a plot where Chris and Jill go through some horrific ordeal together and realize how important they are to each other, followed by the romantic spark.

I'm not pushing for Ada and Leon to be together, but what makes you say Ada is a "killer?" I'm trying to think of a non-monster she killed. I don't doubt you, I just honestly can't remember. Is it because of the role she arguably played stealing viruses that led to outbreaks? She seems to take pity on the towns, etc, in RE6.

Did you play the Chris campaign?
When for no reason whatsoever kills Chris entire squad of BSAA troops who were trapped with no way out before she just walks away. What was the point of killing all those people?

And she has no trouble working for organizations that are responsible for the deaths of thousands and helps their causes.

Bladenic

It actually would make a lot of sense for Chris and Jill to be together. They're both driven by the same causes and few could truly relate with what they've gone through. They clearly care deeply about one another (Revelations makes this very apparent), and romantic feelings have been known to develop between individuals facing harrowing situations. They could easily write a plot where Chris and Jill go through some horrific ordeal together and realize how important they are to each other, followed by the romantic spark.

I'd say the events in RE5 should've made them realize what they mean to each other already.

Evolved1

When for no reason whatsoever kills Chris entire squad of BSAA troops who were trapped with no way out before she just walks away. What was the point of killing all those people?

And she has no trouble working for organizations that are responsible for the deaths of thousands and helps their causes.

You need to finish the game....

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Before someone spoils this for you, avoid this thread and play through ALL FOUR campaigns.

Err, major spoiler events will help you out here, as the posters above said (I cleared out what I had written here...).

As for Ada and Leon, they had promise initiating from RE2, Ada was very clearly concerned on multiple occasions about him in RE4 (despite using him as well), and despite coming across as self-important in her campaign she also
seems to want to help (and does) people she encounters (not just Leon)
. Plus Damnation and the Leon/Ada RE6 endings imply
they may well have been in contact with each other during the years
, so in that context he doesn't look like such a sap.

The great mystery remains how redemptive an effect meeting Leon was for Ada in RE2 and what she is ultimately doing in the shadows, often double-crossing (or leaving) the bad guys. RE6 Ada still leaves too much in the open to make a full defense of her character, but the interest remains in where it is ultimately going, and how Leon fits in that future.

I never understood the lack of a Leon/Claire relationship to be honest. I think Degeneration pretty much hammered home that it won't ever happen though.

kunonabi

I never understood the lack of a Leon/Claire relationship to be honest. I think Degeneration pretty much hammered home that it won't ever happen though.

Leon has good taste. Claire making googly eyes at every young girl she meets probably doesn't help her cause either.

Vamphuntr

Yeah I never really understood the appeal for Ada. She's selfish and will steal any virus/parasite as long as she gets her price for it. She stole the plagas for Wesker which lead to the events of RE5 so I'm having issue with her being a part of the good guys.

In 6
she's nice and save the others only because she had a "debt" to them and the whole reason she was helpful was that Simmons and Carla had stolen her identity and she felt responsible for the havoc Carla created

That campaign was dumb too.

Beth Cyra

Finally finished Chris's story.

Had issues with it, but honestly while I didn't like the enemies I ended up perfering them to the Zombie's in Leon's who I really thought got boring towards the end.

Story line was a little better as well. Don't feel like going into a spoiler talk till I finish but not bad. Better then Leon but not great.

News Bot

Banned
Yeah I never really understood the appeal for Ada. She's selfish and will steal any virus/parasite as long as she gets her price for it. She stole the plagas for Wesker which lead to the events of RE5 so I'm having issue with her being a part of the good guys.

In 6
she's nice and save the others only because she had a "debt" to them and the whole reason she was helpful was that Simmons and Carla had stolen her identity and she felt responsible for the havoc Carla created

That campaign was dumb too.

The events of BH5 would likely have happened with or without the Plaga. They just would have focused on the G-Virus or t-Veronica instead. Ada only gave Wesker the subordinate species Plaga and kept the dominant species, which is much more of a threat, for her own organization. I wouldn't say she's selfish just because she's a spy who routinely fucks people (*only bad ones) over.

Neiteio

Play the other campaigns. I think you'll owe Ada an apology. ;)

joe2187

Banned
Anybody up for some Pro Co-op or mercs on 360?

I'm tired of waiting and playing with my friend, he's such a whiney baby about this game that I cant take listening to him complaining about every single thing in the game we play co-op.

I never got credit for finishing Chris's campaign for some reason, and have yet to do jakes.

Top Bottom