• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Davey Cakes

I do have to say, I'm having trouble with the camera being so close to the characters. I really feel like I can't get a good sense of the environment because of it, and I can't get much of a sense of atmosphere. Everything seems zoomed in and focused on intensity of encounters, so I can't really take in the surroundings.

Anyway, I finished Chris's part of the demo earlier. It was fun but it felt way too much like an in-your-face militaristic shooter. Is this how all of Chris's campaign plays? It just feels nothing like Resident Evil, and RE5 was already taking things too far in this direction.

I think Edonia would have been a cool location for a more RE4-like campaign. In this squad shooter context it just feels squandered.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Operation Raccoon City.

lol... this game fails even as a basic shooter. I mean it's fucking horridly bad. Feels like a $9.99 budget title and they sold millions of copies. Shit I just paid 26 bucks for it. They made bank on this man... they must have raked in the cash, cause I think this game cost about ten dollars to make, from the feel of it.

I'm actually stunned how bad it is hahaha... uh... maybe will play through it. IDK.

haha yikes.

Riposte

Operation Raccoon City.

lol... this game fails even as a basic shooter. I mean it's fucking horridly bad. Feels like a $9.99 budget title and they sold millions of copies. Shit I just paid 26 bucks for it. They made bank on this man... they must have raked in the cash, cause I think this game cost about ten dollars to make, from the feel of it.

I'm actually stunned how bad it is hahaha... uh... maybe will play through it. IDK.

haha yikes.

Its probably easier than RE6 right? Sterling must have liked it more than RE6 for a reason.

Jawmuncher

Operation Raccoon City.

haha yikes.

Played through it twice.
Personallly I think the biggest issue was that the enemies are just fucking bullet sponges.
Even the regular zombies and spec ops. If they could have changed it to where your guns actually felt like they were doing damage opposed to feeling like toys I know I would have liked it a lot more.

AlexBasch

Operation Raccoon City.

haha yikes.
I'm a big TPS junkie, I like most of those, but goddammit, I couldn't endure more than five minutes with it. It feels...dead, dated, strange? What am I even playing?

Evolved1

I'm a big TPS junkie, I like most of those, but goddammit, I couldn't endure more than five minutes with it. It feels...dead, dated, strange? What am I even playing?

I came into this prepared for the worst... like just ready to be punished... and about ten minutes in I'm like... wtf is this!? Are you serious? lol Worse than even my lowered expectations.

I'm not even mad. I've been laughing about it.

Might play through it just for the wtf. Idk. Like watching a movie so bad it's good. Maybe it will get better with zombies.

Its probably easier than RE6 right? Sterling must have liked it more than RE6 for a reason.

I don't know who that is... a reviewer guy? I don't put any stock in their opinions or keep track of who's who. Don't care for them.

I think the ending fared a lot better here than in RE4 or 5 personally. The series has always had short one scene endings so yeah. This gives you four scenes if you add them up :p
At least for me this game ended a little flat. There was a lot of exciting new revelations and the scenario in Eastern Europe, Tall Oaks and China was crazy but in the end nothing of consequence happened. There was no character development or revelations outside knowing sherry and jake exist. Plot wise if a player didn't play RE6 they wouldn't have missed much as not much really changed at the start of RE6s events and at the end. RE4 was by far the most disconnected from the series plotline but even that seemed to build up to future entries and have some tension rising in regards to Wesker.

Leon is still a US agent who is in love with Ada and get to kiss/see her every 6 years. Chris is still fighting bioterrorism. Ada is still a spy working for an unknown organization who has unclear motives. Sherry is still a us agent under us surveillance. Jake is still wandering around globe with no clear goals in life. Helena is still doing the same thing. Only thing of real consequence was learning of the familys existence.

I don't know who that is... a reviewer guy? I don't put any stock in their opinions or keep track of who's who. Don't care for them.
He's a reviewer with a big ego and a group of gamers seem to revere his opinion as fact.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Chris' campaign on Professional playing with joe2187. Overall it reaffirmed my opinion that Chris' 4th chapter is by far his worse, since I really hate fighting those enemies in that chapter. Also fighting
Haos
in chapter 5 on Pro is annoying as hell, since he's got that
ass-thing of his that chases you around and explodes once you destroy both of his sacs
that can send you straight to the "dying" state. But, it's over and now I can move on to my favorite campaign: Jake! Can't wait to play this on Professional, since I really enjoyed it the first time around.

AlexBasch

Is talking about the Mercs costume considered a spoiler?

Because goddamn at alt-Helena. Too bad she has that awful sub machine gun. ):

Iresecia

Neo Member
Is talking about the Mercs costume considered a spoiler?

Because goddamn at alt-Helena. Too bad she has that awful sub machine gun. ):
I still think alt-Helena has a better loadout than Ada. Pretty disappointing cause I enjoyed her crossbow in campaign. It just horrible in mercs.

Evolved1

I can't pick a favorite merc... I've been using Chris with his red outfit that I bought with my RE space bucks.

Bothers me though that he doesn't have a melee weapon. I think he should have a knife, at least. Especially with that get up.

I don't think they are really going to give us that much DLC, but I'd love to see them get weird with mercs. I mean, how hard would it be to give some themed weapons with some of these outfits? Would it really be that hard to do a few animations for Chris to have a katana? It's such a tease seeing him run around with one, and yet you don't even have a knife to use.

Why the heck doesn't Helena 2 have a police baton?

Ada 2 should have hand to hand with quickshot ninja stars (lol).

Come on Capcom... we're playing mercs to death, just embrace it and get weird with it.

cvxfreak

Operation Raccoon City.

haha yikes.

The sad part is that a few of the design choices seem to have been carried over into RE6.

Noi

Operation Raccoon City.

haha yikes.

I found it pretty tolerable playing through the game with 3 player co-op, since the AI companions in that game make the AI in RE5 look like the best assistants ever. Once we were done though? I couldn't stomach doing single player at all. :/

evolution

I'd love to read a post-mortem on this game. I've finished Leon's campaign and just finished chapter 2 of Chris'. There so radically different, its like playing 2 different games and neither are as well designed as past games in the series. Will continue it though.

see5harp

Sorry they sound the same to my ears. It doesn't help that none of the characters are distinguishable outside of their look. I'm actually starting to like the combat with some level 2 perks and finally understanding how to dodge/roll etc.

I do have to say, I'm having trouble with the camera being so close to the characters. I really feel like I can't get a good sense of the environment because of it, and I can't get much of a sense of atmosphere. Everything seems zoomed in and focused on intensity of encounters, so I can't really take in the surroundings.

Anyway, I finished Chris's part of the demo earlier. It was fun but it felt way too much like an in-your-face militaristic shooter. Is this how all of Chris's campaign plays? It just feels nothing like Resident Evil, and RE5 was already taking things too far in this direction.

I think Edonia would have been a cool location for a more RE4-like campaign. In this squad shooter context it just feels squandered.
the Chris demo section is the worst part of his campaign.
it gets much better right where the demo ends.

hertog

I'm beginning to think that I might buy this game.
What's GAF's general consensus right now?

BTW I didn't like the demo, Leon's part was way too dark and too much melee mashing and the enemies in that new guy's part were pretty uninspired.

kunonabi

Leon's chapters are getting worse as it goes along. Hopefully things get better with chapter 4. Still not as terrible as the Chris campaign though. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion I'm actually going to end up liking Jake/Sherry the most of the bunch. Ada looks awful with her new design and outfit.

Footos22

Hated the demo.
Loving the full game.

Taking it slow though. only doing a few chapters every other day or so
I'm on the 4th chapter with all the characters now.
only level i hated was the snowstorm bit with jake. was just boring walking about when you cant see nothing.

BTW I didn't like the demo, Leon's part was way too dark and too much melee mashing and the enemies in that new guy's part were pretty uninspired.

I'd say that the consensus is that it's a heavily flawed game with some legitimately great mechanics/combat. Be weary, there is a lot in the game that legitimately sucks, there is totally some stuff that is awesome though. Be forewarned, the game is heavily about melee, this isn't really a bad thing, but if that's something you didn't like in the demo don't expect much difference in that regard - it's not really about "mashing", though.

GeekyDad

General consensus? You're in the wrong thread regarding the wrong game.

I've only spent about six hours with the game, and if I had to score it, it would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 6.5 and a 7.5. It's lovable but disappointing. I can't stop thinking about it and wanting to play it, but it's also a bit of a letdown. The new mechanics compliment Mercs incredibly well, but much of the gameplay design in campaign is really poorly conceived. I get now why folks miss Mikami working on this series. Still, the combat is a blast, the set pieces are a treat, and the story and dialogue are interesting -- not much better than Revelations, but still good.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

This is an interesting game because people have such different reactions to it. Personally I am loving every second of it and it's shaping up to be my GOTY (and probably one of my favorite games this generation). However, I can definitely see where it might turn some people off (although for whatever reason that stuff doesn't bother me).

If you can't stand QTEs, for instance, this game might annoy you. There aren't a ton of them, but there are enough to put you off, and some people find their implementation obnoxious. I personally really enjoyed all of them since they're separated enough in terms of gameplay that it never feels like they're being shoved down your throat. Some people find the controls clunky and hard to get used to, but I'm loving the combat system and the amount of freedom the game affords you. Some people dislike the enemies because they don't feel "Resident Evil" enough but I love how shooting an enemy in the leg or arm or chest will cause it to mutate differently and will thus change how you have to react to it. The enemies seem boring on their face, but once you get a hang of how they mutate they turn into some of the most imaginative and fun enemies I've ever fought.

Basically, treat this game as a bombastic TPS and not a survival horror game and you might enjoy it more. BUT, it plays exactly the same as the demo. Sure, the sections in the demo weren't all that inspired, but the gameplay mechanics are exactly the same: the shooting is going to feel the same, the melee is going to feel the same, and the game is going to play the same way. So I'd say put some time into the demo, figure out how to roll and slide and dodge and quickshot, and if you find yourself enjoying the game a little more then maybe you should give this game a shot. Otherwise, maybe wait for a Black Friday price drop.

For what it's worth, I'm currently sitting at 38.5 hours played and don't see any signs of stopping anytime soon. I finished the game on Normal, played some Mercenaries, and am now halfway done with the game on Professional.

I just finished Chapter 2 of Ada's campaign and I have to say that it could be the second best campaign. Leon's is still the best in my opinion. Thus far at least. Still have a ways to go in Ada's.

I wasn't enjoying this game at first, but I think I'm getting a grasp of the dodging/melee combat system, and finally getting together with a buddy of mine has sold me on this one. It's fun, and the combat is way deeper than it initially appears.

Gbraga

I didn't hate her campaign, but it wasn't the best or second best to me at all, I still think that Leon has the best campaign, followed closely by Chris'. I also think that Leon's Chapter 2 is the best chapter in the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ran into a glitch where I plummeted Jake off a cliff in chapter 2 while playing Agent Hunt Mode (as the monster), and he's still falling.

birdbadass.png

What I'm more surprised about is that neither he, I, or the other player monster have left and he has been falling like this for at least the last 15 minutes.

Evolved1

I hated pretty much everything about Ada's levels but everyone around here seems to have a hard-on for her campaign.

It was up and down for me... the highs were really high, and the lows were the lowest. But it might be my favorite campaign because of the story payoff. I enjoy the Ada character and this was the first time we got anything with some meat on it... the Ada stuff in RE4 was barely a thing. In that game she was fun and interesting in the main campaign, but barely there. Her extra content was a joke.

In RE6 I fucking love her constant noir-esque voiceover. I'm having a hard time thinking of any game character with that much dialog during gamplay (not cutscenes) and while it's not all fantastic, it's consistently entertaining.

Forcing stealth on us was a little eh.... and one monster in particular had worn out its welcome by the time I faced them in her campaign, but otherwise, great character, good fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally knocked out the main three campaigns last night.

The final chapter for Jake and Sherry was awesome, I thought. Really enjoyed it all the way through.

Dusk Golem

It's the first real glitch I've run into the game, but I was just surprised how patient all three of us were with it. He finally just quit a moment ago though after falling for about 20 minutes and being over 5,000 meters below me and the other monster. a bug fix to mention, it is more than possible to knock Jake or Sherry off the arena as the bird enemy in their chapter 2 if you catch them at an angle on the bridge above an endless abyss.

Do we know what the DLC that is releasing on the 360 going to be and how long their going to be timed exclusive for? I'm almost done with the PS3 version and was considering trading this in towards getting the 360 version for another playthrough + the chance to play the DLC early.

Evolved1

Finally knocked out the main three campaigns last night.

The final chapter for Jake and Sherry was awesome, I thought. Really enjoyed it all the way through.

Not to get off topic... but that thing in your avatar... does it have an analog stick? Because if so it looks like just the thing I need to get back into PC gaming.

At least for games that don't support a controller.

Lima

Some stupid construction in the last area though. I mean who builds something like that? Yeah it makes for an awesome boss fight but for daily use? I'm not so sure...

Dusk Golem

Some stupid construction in the last area though. I mean who builds something like that? Yeah it makes for an awesome boss fight but for daily use? I'm not so sure...

Their explanation is that the facility was digging up lava and sampling bacteria that lived in hot enviornments for the C-Virus.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Haha daily use? You're talking about an
underwater secret base built for the sole purpose of extracting microbes from molten lava and fusing it with the C Virus to create bio-organic weapons.
I don't think we can apply everyday logic to the construction of that facility.

But I agree with dark10x, Jake's final chapter was the best of the bunch, and I thought Jake's campaign was the best through and through. It was the most experimental, which I appreciated as there was never a dull moment. Even the bits with Rasklapanje (I just realized yesterday I've been spelling this name wrong for the past two weeks lol) were unique and different to what you experience in Leon/Chris/Ada's campaigns.

Edit: speaking of misspellings, I actually prefer saying "Raskaplanje" and "Lepotista" to the actual proper names. They roll off the tongue easier.

Sectus

Do we know what the DLC that is releasing on the 360 going to be and how long their going to be timed exclusive for? I'm almost done with the PS3 version and was considering trading this in towards getting the 360 version for another playthrough + the chance to play the DLC early.

The timed DLC exlusives are 3 competitive multiplayer modes. There's no known release dates yet.

Neiteio

Finished all four campaigns, unlocked all files and figures, and unlocked all Mercs costumes... This game is amazing. Feeling bummed there's not more content to explore, though I feel greedy saying that since this game has so much packed into it.

I think the Chris campaign is my favorite, closely followed by Leon and then Jake, though Jake had one of the best chapters in the form of Ch. 3. Ada is the most fun character to play as (and easiest on the eyes!), and her campaign was consistently fun, but somewhat secondary to the others (which makes sense).

I'm surprised how fun it was to revisit the first two chapters in Chris when I was hunting for emblems; now that I have the mechanics down pat, the first two chapters really shined in terms of gameplay, and because I felt more in control I was better able to appreciate the environment and attention to detail, which is lovely. I already loved the last three chapters in Chris, especially the setting and boss of Ch. 5, so I guess overall his campaign is my favorite.

But like I said, Leon's is close. Once you get past the slow start to Leon Ch. 1, the bulk of the first chapter and all of Ch. 2 is amazing. Ch. 3 is great too, aside from the brief swimming section. (Swimming was much more fun in the Ada campaign) Leon Ch. 4 was decent, most notable for its start. I really liked Leon's final chapter -- I thought all of the boss battles were fantastic.

Jake's campaign was most uneven, but still decent, all in all. I was meh on the first chapter and remain so. The first part of the second chapter tests my patience, but everything past the snow storm is golden. Jake's Ch. 3 is possibly the best in the game, as I already said. The fourth and fifth chapters had their moments, especially the final boss fight in the fifth chapter.

Ada's campaign was surprisingly interesting. The all-original setting in the first chapter, as well as the emphasis on stealth and turret exploitation, was quite interesting, and the swimming mechanics finally delivered here. The puzzle was simple but interesting (and creepy!), and the free-running section, while full of cheap deaths, was oddly addictive ("Just one more try!"). The rest of the campaign was fairly interesting, and the boss in Ch. 4 was awesome.

I'm eager to replay some chapters in online co-op. No idea which one I'll start with, though -- hard to pick a favorite!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why does every male character in this game sound exactly the same?

I wouldn't say "exactly," but I agree that, given all the possible ways a man can sound, all three leads sound EXTREMELY similar in terms of the tonal qualities of their voices. Their deliveries have subtle differences, so given enough time with them a person could pick up on what makes each unique. That's why people are going to disagree with you, but at first listen they really are very similar.

I hated pretty much everything about Ada's levels but everyone around here seems to have a hard-on for her campaign.

Something we can agree on! I didn't like most of her scenarios, and her "witty" self-talk was annoying, too.

Feindflug

Finished all four campaigns, unlocked all files and figures, and unlocked all Mercs costumes... This game is amazing. Feeling bummed there's not more content to explore, though I feel greedy saying that since this game has so much packed into it.

I think the Chris campaign is my favorite, closely followed by Leon and then Jake, though Jake had one of the best chapters in the form of Ch. 3. Ada is the most fun character to play as (and easiest on the eyes!), and her campaign was consistently fun, but somewhat secondary to the others (which makes sense).

I'm surprised how fun it was to revisit the first two chapters in Chris when I was hunting for emblems; now that I have the mechanics down pat, the first two chapters really shined in terms of gameplay, and because I felt more in control I was better able to appreciate the environment and attention to detail, which is lovely. I already loved the last three chapters in Chris, especially the setting and boss of Ch. 5, so I guess overall his campaign is my favorite.

But like I said, Leon's is close. Once you get past the slow start to Leon Ch. 1, the bulk of the first chapter and all of Ch. 2 is amazing. Ch. 3 is great too, aside from the brief swimming section. (Swimming was much more fun in the Ada campaign) Leon Ch. 4 was decent, most notable for its start. I really liked Leon's final chapter -- I thought all of the boss battles were fantastic.

Jake's campaign was most uneven, but still decent, all in all. I was meh on the first chapter and remain so. The first part of the second chapter tests my patience, but everything past the snow storm is golden. Jake's Ch. 3 is possibly the best in the game, as I already said. The fourth and fifth chapters had their moments, especially the final boss fight in the fifth chapter.

Ada's campaign was surprisingly interesting. The all-original setting in the first chapter, as well as the emphasis on stealth and turret exploitation, was quite interesting, and the swimming mechanics finally delivered here. The puzzle was simple but interesting (and creepy!), and the free-running section, while full of cheap deaths, was oddly addictive ("Just one more try!"). The rest of the campaign was fairly interesting, and the boss in Ch. 4 was awesome.

I'm eager to replay some chapters in online co-op. No idea which one I'll start with, though -- hard to pick a favorite!

Prepare to be blown away...the game in co-op with a decent player is on a whole other level IMO, I started playing yesterday Chris's campaign with a friend and the game is so much more fun in co-op.

Also spent almost 5hrs yesterday at Mercs, did some awesome runs solo and duo with some random guys...Capcom must release some damn maps and players soon, I'll buy EVERYTHING Mercs related to this game. ^_^

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Also spent almost 5hrs yesterday at Mercs, did some awesome runs solo and duo with some random guys...Capcom must release some damn maps and players soon, I'll buy EVERYTHING Mercs related to this game. ^_^

Hear hear. I'm generally against DLC but I will seriously buy any and all Mercs related DLC for this game. It's fantastic. I haven't done any solo runs just yet though, I'm saving that for when the Urban Chaos event starts since that will only count your solo score if you beat your own record.

Top Bottom