• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Your response prior to this doesn't exactly scream maturity to me. Neither was that guy's. I just respond in ways that other responds to me. It may not be mature of me but at least I'm not calling others for being immature while doing so myself.
Stay classy.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just bought Operation Raccoon City from PSN... I now own every piece of RElated media on PSN.

What is wrong with me...

Evolved1

Nothing,
Is anyone still playing it?

Idk... just started downloading. I honeslty don't even know what it is. I saw one cutscene on youtube where Jill looked like a zombie herself, and that's all I know besides it was developed by Slant Six and RE fans really despise it.

Is it a multiplayer game? I thought it was a shooter or something.

Idk... just started downloading. I honeslty don't even know what it is. I saw one cutscene on youtube where Jill looked like a zombie herself, and that's all I know besides it was developed by Slant Six and RE fans really despise it.

Is it a multiplayer game? I thought it was a shooter or something.

squad shooter, Heroes mode in multiplayer is great.

Davey Cakes

So I finally played some of the Leon portion of the RE6 demo. Didn't touch any of the rest of it yet.

For some reason it just felt really wrong in terms of controls. I had everything set to Classic and couldn't get the hang of it, really. Which is weird, because Revelations felt just fine the second I started playing it. People must be right about giving RE6 time and/or tweaking the controls until they feel best. The character movement and camera were jarring after playing RE5 and Revelations.

Now I need to try out Chris's portion.

AlexBasch

So I finally played some of the Leon portion of the RE6 demo. Didn't touch any of the rest of it yet.

For some reason it just felt really wrong in terms of controls. I had everything set to Classic and couldn't get the hang of it, really. Which is weird, because Revelations felt just fine the second I started playing it. People must be right about giving RE6 time and/or tweaking the controls until they feel best. The character movement and camera were jarring after playing RE5 and Revelations.

It takes a bit of time to get adjusted with how RE6 plays. I find RE5 to be nearly unplayable now for some reason.

Evolved1

I don't recommend setting everything to classic. Laser aim, sure 100%... but the other thing iirc actually swaps the sticks, and that's gross.

Neiteio

You mean using the left stick to aim? I always prefer that way.
For some reason I can't remember which stick I use to aim, but all I know is you shouldn't try to play this like RE4 outside of using a laser sight. I just dialed the camera down to 2, dialed aiming up to 7, switched to laser sight, and really practiced the basic act of running, sliding, rolling, diving, quick-shots, etc. Take some time at the start of Leon's demo level to just move about in the stairwell. And take it slow -- scope out your enemies before rushing in. And once you do rush in, fight in the thick of the fray -- one bullet to the head dazes enemies for takedowns, as do two kicks up close. Don't use cover unless you want to pick off a sniper or quickly regain stamina, and know you can slide to cover. Also, when out of pills, use Square + R2 to auto-mix your herbs and load the pills. And ALSO, know you can paint targets for your co-op partner by aiming at the enemy and tapping Circle; co-op partners no longer take your health and ammo, and they're virtually indestructible with limitless ammo themselves -- it's nice! I hope you stick with it and warm to its ways, Rash. :)

Curufinwe

Bad mostly. Goes on for way too long and it takes place in mostly tight spaces which makes the fight ten times more annoying.

There are so many cool ideas in this game but Capcom just doesn't have the designers anymore to execute most of them.

I quite enjoyed that boss fight, although I wasn't quite sure on when exactly I was actually damaging it.

I'm playing on Normal though, so maybe it was more frustrating on higher difficulties.

You mean using the left stick to aim? I always prefer that way.

I did too in RE 5, but now that you can move and shoot like a normal TPS I can't use the right stick to move around.

Riposte

I quite enjoyed that boss fight, although I wasn't quite sure on when exactly I was actually damaging it.

I'm playing on Normal though, so maybe it was more frustrating on higher difficulties.

I don't think it should be... there are dodges to work with. Worked for me.

The main advantage for camera speed would be back blow wouldn't it? Didn't use much of that I'm afraid.

Evolved1

Nah, it's so I can quickly pan the camera around and survey what's around me without waiting forever for the camera to get in place.

I find the fast camera a little nauseating... it also doesn't feel right in the campaign. Too fast feels kinda janky, less cinematic.

But in mercs, I could see it being useful. I have it at like 6 or 7 right now, bumped it up for mercs. But I don't like the feel of it for campaign (which I like at the default 5 and aim I have on 6 or 7)

Eventually I'll be playing mostly mercs, so I will probably max (or close to) it... but for now that's too fast.

edit: Out of curiosity I just bumped it all the way up for mercs, and that's how I'll be playing from now on. Much improved for that mode. Felt far more aware of surroundings. I like to let enemies swarm me for counters and stuff, and with the fast camera I could keep a better eye on what's behind me. And easier to track the fast movers (dogs).

GeekyDad

Well, just finished Leon chapter 3, and it's, we'll, a little disappointing. It was hard to tell from the demo, but initially I assumed most reviewers took issue with the mechanics/controls and pacing. But it's more than that. I personally really dig the mechanical changes, but they dumbed certain things down way too much. The game's still surprisingly challenging as an action game, but the puzzles -- if you can call them that -- are kinda solved for you by way of that ridiculous waypoint marker that is ever present.

Mostly enjoying the game, even loving certain elements, but they should have simply scrapped all the adventure elements because the ones they included are insulting.

And I have to almost completely relearn Mercs. Some of these new enemies are quite a challenge, and the counters are a little harder than they look. So far, my absolute favorite part of the package. Of course, I've been hooked on Mercs for a while with this series.

Neiteio

Well, just finished Leon chapter 3, and it's, we'll, a little disappointing. It was hard to tell from the demo, but initially I assumed most reviewers took issue with the mechanics/controls and pacing. But it's more than that. I personally really dig the mechanical changes, but they dumbed certain things down way too much. The game's still surprisingly challenging as an action game, but the puzzles -- if you can call them that -- are kinda solved for you by way of that ridiculous waypoint marker that is ever present.

Mostly enjoying the game, even loving certain elements, but they should have simply scrapped all the adventure elements because the ones they included are insulting.

And I have to almost completely relearn Mercs. Some of these new enemies are quite a challenge, and the counters are a little harder than they look. So far, my absolute favorite part of the package. Of course, I've been hooked on Mercs for a while with this series.
Glad to hear you're digging it, all in all. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
edit: Out of curiosity I just bumped it all the way up for mercs, and that's how I'll be playing from now on. Much improved for that mode. Felt far more aware of surroundings. I like to let enemies swarm me for counters and stuff, and with the fast camera I could keep a better eye on what's behind me. And easier to track the fast movers (dogs).

Bingo. I hardly ever get swarmed due to being able to swivel the camera around on demand.

Hahahaha what a terrible song during Jake Campaign's credits, honestly sounds like a shitty 80s soundtrack theme. If you told me this song was from The Karate Kid I'd believe you

Lum1n3s

So managed to beat the entire game by myself on Professional and let me tell you something. Even though I died a ton of times, failed a ton of QTE's, and ended up spending a ton of time playing through each chapter for each character... I wouldn't trade that experience for anything other thing out there ;). The game was really fun and the made the most sense to me playing it in this order Chris, Jake, Leon, and you know who for the end. Once I played with the final person it all made sense and the files that you unlock really help you get a grasp of what's going on. It was difficult playing the game at first because of the wonky controllers but once you have everything figured out such as the controllers, shortcuts, etc. it all melds well with the game. I think I've at least put 40+ hours into the game which is insane so I know I got my moneys worth. Definitely think it's undeserving of the low scores and if anything should be in the 7.7-8.3 range.

RE 5 and Zero have the worst enemy designs in the series by far. RE4 had the best, there was noting like fighting the Claw dudes. That room where there are 2 of them and 10 Los Illuminodos with bells on each side of the room is genius enemy placement and design. RE6 does have some dope designs as well. The changing Javo are something very cool and unique too.

I'll say one thing. The Outbreak games had some really sick Tyrant designs. THANOS, Tyrant R and NYNX were fucking awesome. Too bad they never made their way to the main series. Also Super Salvador should have been a boss in the main story in RE4 and not limited to just mercs.

News Bot

Banned
The series as a whole has some very nice enemy designs, but also its fair share of ZZzzz.

BH0: Tyrant T-001
BH1: Hunter, Chimera, Tyrant T-002
BH2: "G", Licker, Tyrant T-103
BH3: Nemesis, Drain Deimos, Brain Sucker
BH4: Verdugo, Regenerador, U3
BH5: Uroboros
BH6: Rasklapanje, Lepotitsa, Ustanak
BHDC: Jabberwock S3

Lum1n3s

RE 5 and Zero have the worst enemy designs in the series by far. RE4 had the best, there was noting like fighting the Claw dudes. That room where there are 2 of them and 10 Los Illuminodos with bells on each side of the room is genius enemy placement and design. RE6 does have some dope designs as well. The changing Javo are something very cool and unique too.

I'll say one thing. The Outbreak games had some really sick Tyrant designs. THANOS, Tyrant R and NYNX were fucking awesome. Too bad they never made their way to the main series. Also Super Salvador should have been a boss in the main story in RE4 and not limited to just mercs.
Agreed, Outbreak was awesome especially being in the ZOO and seeing all those infected animals and everything. Wish it had more of a following and everything, had some fond memories playing online with other peeps.

Agreed, Outbreak was awesome especially being in the ZOO and seeing all those infected animals and everything. Wish it had more of a following and everything, had some fond memories playing online with other peeps.

Axman was a cool little twist in the game too. A non infected mid boss enemy. Pretty unique for the series.

Evolved1

Capcom should jump on the DayZ fadwagon and build a new Outbreak game... clearly there's a market for it.

I just beat Jake's campaign last night so now I just have to finish up Leon's, saved the best for last. Now after having beaten 3 campaign's, I feel like there is no real ending to this game at all. I hope some of the DLC further expands on where this story is going.

My biggest issue with this game is not the camera or some of the gameplay mechanics anymore because you do get used to them. The QTE's are just bad and should never be in a game again. I just do not get what Capcom tried to do here by throwing many different genre's of gameplay. Both Chris's and Jake's felt very similar in terms of gameplay and really the sections could of been split up between Leon and Chris. There are some sections in Jake's that would of fit in to Leon's campaign and same goes with Chris.

Then on to the J'avo's. They are infected with the C-virus and when they are killed its like they transform into bio beasts. The best is then you kill their new form and they transform into something else. Maybe with a reboot they go away from some of the B.O.W. creations.

With my complaining aside, I'm still enjoying the game for what it is. I am a sucker for the Resident Evil franchise and do hope that Capcom finds a way to get this series back to the basics. I know we complain about the bio zombies, j'avo's, etc., but they have been here since the first game in one form or another, except in the first few games they were used sparingly.

LTWood12

I have to say, all of the positive conversation on this board actually has me interested in getting this. I was pretty turned off by the reviews. Played the Chris demo, and it was alright. HATED the part where it takes camera control away from you though.

LTWood12

I have to say, all of the positive conversation on this board actually has me interested in getting this. I was pretty turned off by the reviews. Played the Chris demo, and it was alright. HATED the part where it takes camera control away from you though.

That said, I had fun. I think it helped knowing a lot of the control nuances going in like the roll, dodge, and slide. But I can see how it'd be really frustrating if you didn't know they existed.

Evolved1

It does this a handful of times in the game across the various campaigns, and it always sucks, but it's not something so frequent that it becomes anything more than the occasional annoyance.

They didn't implement that part very well, imo... quite jarring and disorienting, but it doesn't happen often or interfere with gameplay too much.

LTWood12

It does this a handful of times in the game across the various campaigns, and it always sucks, but it's not something so frequent that it becomes anything more than the occasional annoyance.

They didn't implement that part very well, imo... quite jarring and disorienting, but it doesn't happen often or interfere with gameplay too much.

Good to know it isn't a frequent occurrence.

The Outbreak games were so ahead of their time that its not even funny. Capcom would be dumb to not test the waters with a rerelease of File 1 & 2 on XBLA/PSN. Hell they rereleased Jo Jo, I am sure they will do this. It's been somewhat demanded for by fans.

Replicant

The worst one was definitely in Chris' section and I don't think it exists anywhere else. In Chris section, the part where
Chris and Piers need to hold the fort until Finn can drag the injured BSAA soldier was really annoying at first. Because you want to focus on the rocket launcher guy standing inside a truck not far from you but the camera pulls you away and force you to look up, to see the parachuting enemies. Completely unnecessary angle. I just want to shoot that annoying guy.

Daigoro

The Outbreak games were so ahead of their time that its not even funny. Capcom would be dumb to not test the waters with a rerelease of File 1 & 2 on XBLA/PSN. Hell they rereleased Jo Jo, I am sure they will do this. It's been somewhat demanded for by fans.

aw man. dont get my hopes up like that.

Bladenic

I just beat Jake's campaign last night so now I just have to finish up Leon's, saved the best for last. Now after having beaten 3 campaign's, I feel like there is no real ending to this game at all. I hope some of the DLC further expands on where this story is going.

My biggest issue with this game is not the camera or some of the gameplay mechanics anymore because you do get used to them. The QTE's are just bad and should never be in a game again. I just do not get what Capcom tried to do here by throwing many different genre's of gameplay. Both Chris's and Jake's felt very similar in terms of gameplay and really the sections could of been split up between Leon and Chris. There are some sections in Jake's that would of fit in to Leon's campaign and same goes with Chris.

Then on to the J'avo's. They are infected with the C-virus and when they are killed its like they transform into bio beasts. The best is then you kill their new form and they transform into something else. Maybe with a reboot they go away from some of the B.O.W. creations.

With my complaining aside, I'm still enjoying the game for what it is. I am a sucker for the Resident Evil franchise and do hope that Capcom finds a way to get this series back to the basics. I know we complain about the bio zombies, j'avo's, etc., but they have been here since the first game in one form or another, except in the first few games they were used sparingly.

I think the ending fared a lot better here than in RE4 or 5 personally. The series has always had short one scene endings so yeah. This gives you four scenes if you add them up :p

I bought the game because I couldn't resist playing Resident Evil despite all the negative press. I'm only four chapters in (I'm doing them in chronological order as played out in the OP) and I can see and agree with a lot of the points the detractors have made. Mostly from Giant bomb, y'know, how it "feels wrong" or how chapters feel never ending (so far) but i also recognize there is a good game here and I'm anxious to play it out.

I hate how awkward the controls feel, how close the camera is, but I am getting used to them. I credit that feeling with Jakes campaign, which feels like it was built for a melee heavy focus thus far. Chris' campaign opening chapters are annoyingly frustrating in comparison and I never felt comfortable once the entire time but with Jake it was starting to feel better. Of course that is also probably due to the nature of my progression.

Im totally digging the music though, really good stuff thus far.

On to Leon I go.

Top Bottom