• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

maomaoIYP

Good suggestions. I feel motivate to try it. But the problem is I am a duo player then a solo player. Would that be difficult to adapt from going duo to solo? Just curious, have you tried duo?

Also about this bit.

I tried to do this in duo when I have terrible partner but it is not always the case. Although I do find myself doing most of the work and only to drop the combo when I am grabbed, knocked down etc and my lame partner does nothing to save the combo. Another thing is that your partner could influence the enemy spawn points. In solo you can "control" the spawn systematically according to your strategy but in duo your partner could mess it up. One example is in Mining the Depths, your partner could stay in the "island" where all the zombies come to him and not you whilst you moving around systematically.

Yeah I've actually played duo with a friend who only just started playing RE6 and can't do things like counters or cdg. We almost made 150 combo on our first try. I simply let him start killing right off the bat and I collected all the time extensions. I honestly don't know how hard it would be for a duo player to transit to solo, I think it would really depend on how good a route you have for the entire map.

As for getting grabbed etc, as a solo player you have to come up with proper strategies for dealing with those by yourself without dropping the combo. It's unlikely to play an entire round without getting hit a few times, so once you've learned these skills, they translate well to duo. For example after getting knocked down shooting from a lying down position is faster than getting up, cancel long reload/rechamber animations with a weapon swap, incendiary are instant kills for most normal zombies/javo and almost won't hurt you at all, flash grenades put most javo in cdg stun, etc etc.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Solo is harder. If you are a duo player and you try and take on the map alone, it will feel really difficult. Keeping the combo becomes much more of a challenge.

Buuuuttt... there are some pretty awesome things about solo that only show up after you play for a while:
  1. you are in total control and don't have to worry about your partner messing anything up.
  2. you get better at the game.
  3. you're forced to learn the best routes through a level and this will really help you. you are in total control and don't have to worry about your partner messing anything up.
  4. no online latency messing with your timing, this is a big one imo

Sectus

As people have already mentioned, solo is definitely the best way to practice to become better in mercenaries. Everything you learn in solo automatically translates to duo as well, while playing only duo doesn't make you much better of a solo player.

I've got some good and some bad news about the RE6 benchmark.

The good news is that there's a download page for it here: http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/resident-evil-6/downloads

The bad news is that the download link is not working.

I checked out the release of the RE5 benchmark. The download link is dated 13th July, while the actual release date for the benchmark was 16th July. It's possible it's a repeat of the same thing, that they've just prepared the page ahead of its release.

At the very least, we know the benchmark is only days away at most.

The DLC modes are fun...

My only complaint is Piers' rifle and Agent's magnum in Survivors, two quickshots and you're dead basically. And the spamming some people do, but it doesn't occour too much. I quickshot once or twice in a game.

Otherwise they're really fun. Can't say anything about how many people are playing them yet since I dont think everyone in Europe has them yet. I could find lobbies most of the time earlier though. The most empty one was Onslaught, which was sad but oh well. Survivor was the most active one. Predator... no idea I played with a few people from the capcom forums.

I just got this game and really wanted to love it but...so far I've does Chris's first 2 chapters and omg, they're so bad. I'm hoping its just his story and gameplay that is terrible.. The demo was a million times better than those 2 chapters.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just got this game and really wanted to love it but...so far I've does Chris's first 2 chapters and omg, they're so bad. I'm hoping its just his story and gameplay that is terrible.. The demo was a million times better than those 2 chapters.

Chris' first two chapters are his weakest IMO. You also need to spend some time getting used to the controls/combat system before it starts to click. Play some Mercenaries if you need to and get used to rolling/diving/quick shotting/sliding.

To be honest Chris' entire campaign is not as fun as Leon's or Jake's (my personal favorite), but it's still pretty good.

maomaoIYP

The DLC modes are fun...

My only complaint is Piers' rifle and Agent's magnum in Survivors, two quickshots and you're dead basically. And the spamming some people do, but it doesn't occour too much. I quickshot once or twice in a game.

Otherwise they're really fun. Can't say anything about how many people are playing them yet since I dont think everyone in Europe has them yet. I could find lobbies most of the time earlier though. The most empty one was Onslaught, which was sad but oh well. Survivor was the most active one. Predator... no idea I played with a few people from the capcom forums.

Actually I think Onslaught is the best mode. The reason it looks so empty is that rooms only require 2 people and tend to get filled quite quickly. I don't seem to have problems getting people to join whenever I put up a room.

MooMoo

Benchmark is out now: http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/resident-evil-6/downloads

One screenshot: http://www.abload.de/img/re62013-02-2102-09-18ygo4e.jpg

It's kinda of a weird benchmark. It's really good for benchmarking high end hardware, but it's kinda bad at benchmarking the actual game. The entire benchmark show super overkill scenarios with a ton of stuff on the screen. Much much much more than any scene in the actual game.
Hm, I can't download the benchmark D:

MooMoo

I'm hearing many reports of people not being able to download the benchmark, I dunno what's wrong. Maybe the release isn't finalized yet. Hopefully it'll work fine in some hours or tomorrow.
Working now! =) Although I saw your video on youtube and we pretty much have the same computer specs. I'll give it a run anyways.

Edit: Anddd they made it unavailable halfway through my download =/

Sectus

Working now! =) Although I saw your video on youtube and we pretty much have the same computer specs. I'll give it a run anyways.

Edit: Anddd they made it unavailable halfway through my download =/

Note that my framerate in the video is a bit lower than it normally would be since recording at the same time has an effect.

maomaoIYP

Hmmm, so apparently Creature workshop is really easy, the only difficult thing about it is the layout. I got 125 combo on my very first "figuring out the layout" run, and a 150 on like my 5th, with 1338K.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Okay guys is there any way to make the herb mixing faster? I can do the triangle thing manually and pressing square (?) right away to mix them fast and put it in tablet form, but is there a faster way? In the campaign, sometimes doing that is really hard when I'm getting swarmed.

Resident Evil.net Revelations version is now up. Its got a cool mini game where you can win stuff. I got figures of Hunk and this hot as shit Jessica.
lC2lZbs.jpg
ITjkCyz.jpg

https://www.residentevil.net/rev/en/playstation/

Sectus, this is off topic but would you happen to have access to some Metal Gear Rising files?

Come on Capcom, why is it so hard to port some Revelations and RE5 characters to RE6!

Actually I think Onslaught is the best mode. The reason it looks so empty is that rooms only require 2 people and tend to get filled quite quickly. I don't seem to have problems getting people to join whenever I put up a room.

I'm really struggling on Onslaught. Which surprised me. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I can make it to 10 minutes but I always lose...

maomaoIYP

Come on Capcom, why is it so hard to port some Revelations and RE5 characters to RE6!

I'm really struggling on Onslaught. Which surprised me. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I can make it to 10 minutes but I always lose...

On every stage in Onslaught you can always find at least 3 green herbs. Sometimes they are in crates, but their location never changes. I always grab all of them first. The skill I take is Pharmacist, and my strategy is to stay alive as long as I can. For every melee kill you make, your damage multiplier goes up, and maxes at 300%. Taking damage reduces it, and getting a 30 kill combo resets it to 100%. Since there is no advantage to using dangerous tactics such as relying mostly on counter kills or even CDG, I just stick to headshot into melee. I only fight boss monsters when my multiplier is increased, so that I kill them quick. When the shit hits the fan and I get swarmed with a crap load of zombies, I just shoot as much as I can while running in circles around the map, keeping the combo alive so that you keep up the pressure with sending in zombies over. Characters with an assault rifle tend to be great for this. If when time's up and you are both alive, the person with the highest score (not kills) wins, so keep up those 30 kill combos.

Based on this strat I like Chris1 and Sherry2 the most, partially because they start with ARs, and also both their headshot stun melees throw the victim forward, clearing a path all the time.

Sectus

Resident Evil.net Revelations version is now up. Its got a cool mini game where you can win stuff. I got figures of Hunk and this hot as shit Jessica.
lC2lZbs.jpg
ITjkCyz.jpg

https://www.residentevil.net/rev/en/playstation/

Sectus, this is off topic but would you happen to have access to some Metal Gear Rising files?

I'm not interested in MGR, so I don't think I'll ever look through the files for that game. I've got my hands full with RE6 anyway.

On every stage in Onslaught you can always find at least 3 green herbs. Sometimes they are in crates, but their location never changes. I always grab all of them first. The skill I take is Pharmacist, and my strategy is to stay alive as long as I can. For every melee kill you make, your damage multiplier goes up, and maxes at 300%. Taking damage reduces it, and getting a 30 kill combo resets it to 100%. Since there is no advantage to using dangerous tactics such as relying mostly on counter kills or even CDG, I just stick to headshot into melee. I only fight boss monsters when my multiplier is increased, so that I kill them quick. When the shit hits the fan and I get swarmed with a crap load of zombies, I just shoot as much as I can while running in circles around the map, keeping the combo alive so that you keep up the pressure with sending in zombies over. Characters with an assault rifle tend to be great for this. If when time's up and you are both alive, the person with the highest score (not kills) wins, so keep up those 30 kill combos.

Based on this strat I like Chris1 and Sherry2 the most, partially because they start with ARs, and also both their headshot stun melees throw the victim forward, clearing a path all the time.

Do you break the combo crystals?

Dead

well not really...yet
I didnt participate at all in the last few RE.net events but somehow scored 18500 points off of them and was even the leader of a 4 man team

uhh, ok!

Sectus

I didnt participate at all in the last few RE.net events but somehow scored 18500 points off of them and was even the leader of a 4 man team

uhh, ok!

If you don't create a team for an event, the system automatically creates a team for you and automatically assigns people to be in your team. I guess you got lucky and other people in the team were active with the event.

So I just got around to buying the two new Mercs map packs on PS3.

My god Liquid Fire is searing itself directly into my retinas. It actually hurts my eyes to play.

I don't think I'll be touching that one again.

cj_iwakura

We're almost done with Leon's campaign. I love the theme of hopeless horror that permeates the game, very bleak stuff.

And Jake's campaign is our favorite by a country mile.

Gyrian

Anyone else taking part in tomorrow's high seas dominator event? Sectus?

I'm definitely in, I've learned a bunch of new tricks since I last gave this one a serious attempt. :D

So I've been trying to new modes on PS3; they have their moments, but I worry about longevity.
At $4 each, I imagine it's part of reason why I'm having a hard time finding other players to try them with.
If it had been up to me, I would have released these much sooner, one by one.

Onslaught seems interesting if only for the sheer chaos, but man, it's like my Mercs instincts tend to be a big negative here. I also had a good time with Predator, 2p vs. Ustanak is pretty tense!

maomaoIYP

Oh yipes, I had completely forgotten about that event. I'll probably give it a try.

I'm definitely in, I've learned a bunch of new tricks since I last gave this one a serious attempt. :D

Onslaught seems interesting if only for the sheer chaos, but man, it's like my Mercs instincts tend to be a big negative here. I also had a good time with Predator, 2p vs. Ustanak is pretty tense!

Great! See you guys on the scoreboards in a few hours!

Eh, maybe... not really interested in points anymore. Gonna participate in the next EX3 event though.

We're not in it for the points, it's more for the thrill of the timed score challenge! Most of us have a good score on most of the maps already, so the challenge of scoring even better within 24 hrs makes it pretty exciting!

maomaoIYP

OMFG after trying for 3 hrs I fucked up on the very last kill - my magnum shot hit 2 dudes and thus my gnezdo remained alive. I had 10 mins left!!!!

edit: Finally made it. 1294K, over 10 mins left. No idea how to score higher.

Sectus

I just completed my run. I was lucky and I did it on my second attempt. I had done a few practice runs yesterday though. My score isn't all that impressive, I got 1225k points. I used Ada2 for the run.

I'll upload the run later. I feel a bit rusty as I haven't played that much mercenaries lately. My coop partner has gotten into DmC and has been playing that instead of mercs, so that's the primary reason I haven't played as much mercs as I'd want to.

Must say I still really like this game, warts and all. Returning to it from my Veteran rental playthrough, now finished up Pro diff (legit, not last chapter section...) and have done select missions on No Hope. No excuses that mode, one needs to know how to play and also know the scenario. Such as being prepared for Jake and Sherry to fight that chainsaw s.o.b. and company near the end of CH4.

Now looking at the titles as a fun way to seek out extra things to do while enjoying replay before moving on again.

Tried two times... first walked into gnezdo and died... haven't done that in such a long time. Second, combo dropped when an asshole shot me and I went down. After that I was pissed so I turned it off.

I dont know... I feel like I still struggle on this game despite putting in 300+ hours on Mercenaries... still sometimes playing like a giant noob. Maybe I'm not meant to be great at any game just medicore.

BLAH!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know... I feel like I still struggle on this game despite putting in 300+ hours on Mercenaries... still sometimes playing like a giant noob.

I still struggle on this game despite putting in 300+ hours on Mercenaries...

despite putting in 300+ hours

300+ hours

Damn, son. At least you got your money's worth. I think I have like 10 hours or so in Mercenaries lol.

BTW Mercenaries used to piss me off like that until I realized luck really is a big part of your run. Don't take it personally and keep plugging away.

Damn, son. At least you got your money's worth. I think I have like 10 hours or so in Mercenaries lol.

LMAO. There hasn't been any other game in the past 6 months that have kept me busy plus I only took one class last semester. I got Lego LOTR and DmC but kept going back to RE6 after I finished them. The hours I put in are insane yeah I haven't had much going on last semester only took one class and now nothing for a while but yeah I really enjoyed this game and the modes despite the flaws. But there's not much to do for me anymore.... I dont go for high scores and the new modes are OK, favorite is Onslaught, but they're nothing out of the ordinary and hopefully they'll keep releasing more DLC... Siege mode looks fun. I'll be taking a break though to play Tomb Raider, God of War, Last of Us, Dead Island and a few more titles.

Tonight from ~5pm-6pm PST (1700-1800) there will be some PSN/RE6 maintenance. In that time I suspect there could be gameplay or performance issues. Should be wrapped up by 6pm.

Brelston @ Capcom-Unity

This is unbeliveable. 5 tries at Highseas Fortess all resulting in deaths. The lastest in which I died with a 141 combo, Gnezdo still alive, and about 4 mintues left. Rage is overflowing within me right now. Good thing this is more than just a one day event unlike previous mercs events.

maomaoIYP

This is unbeliveable. 5 tries at Highseas Fortess all resulting in deaths. The lastest in which I died with a 141 combo, Gnezdo still alive, and about 4 mintues left. Rage is overflowing within me right now. Good thing this is more than just a one day event unlike previous mercs events.

Yeah, I would have lost my marbles if it was only 24 hrs like the Rail Yard event.

Gyrian

That's the cruel mistress that is Mercs for you.
I gave it a shot last night and my best run dropped around 135 thanks to a mutated arm J'avo that kept jumping away and my stubbornness to melee him right in his stupid face.

Even though I'm fairly comfortable in Mercs, I don't think it'll ever feel easy. It always seems to find a way to surprise you and throw you off. I take it as a plus, because I'm still having ridiculous amounts of fun with it despite all the hours spent.

Alright just 1144203 with Sherry ex. I went nuts with flash grenades at the end. Man my heart is still beating superfast, it was so intense. All the salt from last night is now washed away. Only bad thing is that I got a melee kill on the J'avo that mutates into that white bubble thing and the explosion ended up killing the Gnezdo at around 114 combo.

Top Bottom