• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

What a shit day to play RE6 Mercs... also wanted to play with EX3 Ada

1. First player's connection died
2. Couldn't find anyone to play with
3. Hosted a game with 'Here for Events' on Steel Beast. Someone joins only to leave when the combo is dropped. I told him to 'move in' cause I had no one near me when I get to him he has like 4 fire vagina enemies near him. Mind you he had Time+ and kept sending me all kinds of commands from the very beginning...
4. Joined a game on Urban Chaos despite the fact that I hate that level and I had to babysit the player since they wouldn't take any damn pills.
5. Joined a 'Here for medals' game with a player with 1.5m on Creature Workshop and got kicked.

Blah.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Gyrian, I won't be able to Duo Mercs for a while. PS3 just YLOD today while I was playing Virtual On. Best of luck to you on your solo runs!

Sherry's going on vacation~

3. Hosted a game with 'Here for Events' on Steel Beast. Someone joins only to leave when the combo is dropped. I told him to 'move in' cause I had no one near me when I get to him he has like 4 fire vagina enemies near him. Mind you he had Time+ and kept sending me all kinds of commands from the very beginning...
4. Joined a game on Urban Chaos despite the fact that I hate that level and I had to babysit the player since they wouldn't take any damn pills.
5. Joined a 'Here for medals' game with a player with 1.5m on Creature Workshop and got kicked.

Blah.
You're not the only one who experience this. I feel your frustration. I went through similar experience. A lot of players are so dumb on Mercenaries. Hard to find decent logical players.

Can someone explain how I got 33,000 RE Points?

The "Neutralize the Threat" event has ended. You ranked 12238 with a score of 3, and earned 33000 RE Points.

I am ranked 12,238. I should've gotten 3,000 RE Points. Oh and score means I killed 3 enemies, right?

Can someone explain how I got 33,000 RE Points?

I am ranked 12,238. I should've gotten 3,000 RE Points. Oh and score means I killed 3 enemies, right?

20.000 extra points for the participants for defeating 200.000 extra enemies. 10.000 points as basic reward for participating. and those 3.000 for contributing.

And yes, score 3 for killing 3 enemies.

Sectus

Are the new DLC modes worth it? Kinda tempted with the preorder bonuses...

I personally don't think any of the versus modes are super amazing, they all have certain aspects which can be annoying, but I still enjoyed my time with them and I played them for probably 10 hours in total. Onslaught and predator are the 2 better ones. That said, I haven't actually played siege mode yet.

Gyrian

Gyrian, I won't be able to Duo Mercs for a while. PS3 just YLOD today while I was playing Virtual On. Best of luck to you on your solo runs!

Sherry's going on vacation~

Ky3HjqB.png

I lost a much loved OG Ceramic White PS3 a while back. Virtual ON is not the most terrible way to go, if it had to happen. ;_;
Hope you're able to get back to normal with as little pain as possible, this sucks.

That's one out of two PS3 players I could duo Mercs with, OUT. You can't all be on XBox, can you?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm way too sucky to play with you guys... lol

Pffft, it's like Bio5's: Grab all the time-extensions, mass an enemy mob (if this is possible in 6), combo time. Go for 10+ combos in combo times as quick as you can. Major points when those are finished. If you're good and timing your combos as a delay, you should be in the 40-50 range with the two or three combo times in a map finished.

then it's a matter of keeping the combos going with headshots->melee (though I guess in Bio6's case headshot->C'D'G's) for +5's. Since there's a 150 enemy limit if you're doing really good as soon as you hit the 150 limit you have to wait for time to run out (or the round finishes since it can't spawn anymore enemies, forgetting).

maomaoIYP

Blah.

If you're doing the event why don't you just play steel beast solo? If my combo drops I just kill the napads and gnezdo and then restart.

If you're doing the event why don't you just play steel beast solo? If my combo drops I just kill the napads and gnezdo and then restart.

I wasn't doing the event really, I just wanted to play Mercs duo. But I did play solo on SB earlier trying to get back into the 101-1000 rank but I hadn't played in a few days so I'm getting 20k points.

How much RE Points do you have? I have 503,900 RE Points.

I heard from Capcom due to popular demands for making EX costumes to be available for Campaign game is down to "shaders" technical difficulty. Can somebody please explain what is "shader" in video game context?

Sectus

I heard from Capcom due to popular demands for making EX costumes to be available for Campaign game is down to "shaders" technical difficulty. Can somebody please explain what is "shader" in video game context?
Shader is code run on a GPU to modify how something is rendered. You might have heard the term "pixel shader" thrown around which is the same thing. It started off primarily being used for rendering pretty water, but now it's used for a billion different things.

I think I've run into the same problem the developer is talking about when modding the game. The problem I encountered is that the game has pre-defined which shaders are loaded for which stages in the game. I assume they've done this as an optimization to reduce memory load (RE5 and earlier MT Framework games simply loaded all shaders into memory at any given time). So if you add any model which requires a specific shader, and that shader isn't loaded into memory, it won't render correctly.

Short version: there's not enough memory.

Well damn. Why aren't you spending it? I have 114500 after unlocking all the EX2 costumes and enough wallpapers, icons and other stuff to get badges.

OMG. Just played a game with a random on Liquid Fire. 1.3 for doing nothing? Saved no boss (even though Napad appeared and flash grenade the birds), meleed most enemies and had around 9 minutes left by the end. Best run ever on that stage and one of the very few times when I didn't drop the combo.

Shader is code run on a GPU to modify how something is rendered. You might have heard the term "pixel shader" thrown around which is the same thing. It started off primarily being used for rendering pretty water, but now it's used for a billion different things.

I think I've run into the same problem the developer is talking about when modding the game. The problem I encountered is that the game has pre-defined which shaders are loaded for which stages in the game. I assume they've done this as an optimization to reduce memory load (RE5 and earlier MT Framework games simply loaded all shaders into memory at any given time). So if you add any model which requires a specific shader, and that shader isn't loaded into memory, it won't render correctly.

Short version: there's not enough memory.

You're very knowledgeable about these things. Are you a game developer or something? I still don't quite get it. Isn't it like texture? My understanding is that texture is basically a skin that wrap around polygon shapes. So the EX costumes are basically textures. Swapping between EX costume and the game version is easy as it doesn't alter the mechanic. Resident Evil 5 has this option in the campaign and I don't see why it couldn't be implemented in Resident Evil 6. It can't be very difficult. Must be a poor choice of implementation by the programmer.

Well damn. Why aren't you spending it? I have 114500 after unlocking all the EX2 costumes and enough wallpapers, icons and other stuff to get badges.

OMG. Just played a game with a random on Liquid Fire. 1.3 for doing nothing? Saved no boss (even though Napad appeared and flash grenade the birds), meleed most enemies and had around 9 minutes left by the end. Best run ever on that stage and one of the very few times when I didn't drop the combo.

Because Capcom might release something that really interest me to purchase it with my RE Points and it may be very expensive. The icons, dioramas, wallpapers doesn't really interest me.

I take it you're a high score player? I know exactly what you mean. I even played with randoms who have 1.3 + million score and they equipped Limit Breaker/Power Counter skill while I equipped Time Bonus + skill and they went out their way to break all the time bonuses. Unbelievable!

Because Capcom might release something that really interest me to purchase it with my RE Points and it may be very expensive. The icons, dioramas, wallpapers doesn't really interest me.

I take it you're a high score player? I know exactly what you mean. I even played with randoms who have 1.3 + million score and they equipped Limit Breaker/Power Counter skill while I equipped Time Bonus + skill and they went out their way to break all the time bonuses. Unbelievable!

I'm not a high score player actually. I just go into or host "Play For Fun" rooms. I'm always surprised if I get high scores like that specially since I feel like I didn't do anything special.. but maybe it's not high for other players but it is for me. If a random has the Time+ I will just let them break the crystals but yeah I know what you mean. For a while I had the Time Bonus skill equipped but 90% of the players always broke them so there was no point. I had the Power Counter also but then I noticed that so many wanted to play for high scores and save bosses. Now I just use Pharmacist. Playing for high scores with randoms (players with 1.3-1.5 join) freak me out. I get scared of messing up so I will just mess up because I'm so tense, so I just play better when it's for fun. I dont know I'm weird...

maomaoIYP

Once I get paid for the event that just finished and buy my last EX2 I'm not gonna farm events for RE points anymore. I'll probably just stick to the EX3 unlock events and the merc dominator events.

Sectus

You're very knowledgeable about these things. Are you a game developer or something? I still don't quite get it. Isn't it like texture? My understanding is that texture is basically a skin that wrap around polygon shapes. So the EX costumes are basically textures. Swapping between EX costume and the game version is easy as it doesn't alter the mechanic. Resident Evil 5 has this option in the campaign and I don't see why it couldn't be implemented in Resident Evil 6. It can't be very difficult. Must be a poor choice of implementation by the programmer.
I'm not a game developer but I do a bunch of programming as a hobby, I also mod a bunch of games, so knowing this kind of stuff helps.

Textures are not the same as shaders. Shaders basically tell the graphics card how the textures should be rendered. The naming is actually rather apt, shaders tell the graphics card how the textures should be shaded.

It is very easy and straightforward to replace the textures, that's something I've already done. But the majority of textures and models also need unique shaders to render properly. And that's where the problem is. This wasn't a problem in RE5 since all shaders were loaded all the time. They changed this for RE6 as the new implementation saves at least several megabytes of ram.

I guess you could say it's a poor implementation as there might have been a way to fix this. If they had a way to skip shaders which aren't used and load specific shaders, it might have solved this problem, although it would have increased loading times. Or maybe if they had shaders bundled in with the models and textures, instead of their own packages which are defined for each individual stage.

There might be a way to fix this for the PC release by modding (if modders can figure out the shader package format), but I don't think Capcom will go out of their way to find a solution for the console versions.

I'm not a high score player actually. I just go into or host "Play For Fun" rooms. I'm always surprised if I get high scores like that specially since I feel like I didn't do anything special.. but maybe it's not high for other players but it is for me. If a random has the Time+ I will just let them break the crystals but yeah I know what you mean. For a while I had the Time Bonus skill equipped but 90% of the players always broke them so there was no point. I had the Power Counter also but then I noticed that so many wanted to play for high scores and save bosses. Now I just use Pharmacist. Playing for high scores with randoms (players with 1.3-1.5 join) freak me out. I get scared of messing up so I will just mess up because I'm so tense, so I just play better when it's for fun. I dont know I'm weird...

Ah I see. What's your highest score?

I just played with a random Japanese player on Steel Beast. My highest score on this stage was 1.35 + million and now we both have 1.45 + million score! I learnt something new from this random Japanese player is that you can kill Gnezdo as soon as it spawn and kill one of the Napad at the 150th kill and still score very high. I thought it worked like the Zombie stages where you have to kill the hidden boss at the 150th kill.

Once I get paid for the event that just finished and buy my last EX2 I'm not gonna farm events for RE points anymore. I'll probably just stick to the EX3 unlock events and the merc dominator events.

The way you phrase your post sounds like a job and Capcom paid you for your "contract work".

I'm not a game developer but I do a bunch of programming as a hobby, I also mod a bunch of games, so knowing this kind of stuff helps.

Textures are not the same as shaders. Shaders basically tell the graphics card how the textures should be rendered. The naming is actually rather apt, shaders tell the graphics card how the textures should be shaded.

It is very easy and straightforward to replace the textures, that's something I've already done. But the majority of textures and models also need unique shaders to render properly. And that's where the problem is. This wasn't a problem in RE5 since all shaders were loaded all the time. They changed this for RE6 as the new implementation saves at least several megabytes of ram.

I guess you could say it's a poor implementation as there might have been a way to fix this. If they had a way to unload shaders which aren't used and then load specific shaders, it might have solved this specific problem, although it would have increased loading times. Or maybe if they had shaders bundled in with the models and textures, instead of their own packages which are defined for each individual stage.

There might be a way to fix this for the PC release by modding (if modders can figure out the shader package format), but I don't think Capcom will go out of their way to find a solution for the console versions.

I have limited knowledge in this stuff. I have done some basic OpenGL graphics. I'm familiar with texture, lighting, perspectives etc. But not shaders. So basically you're saying shaders determine how the texture is to be rendered in terms of lighting, compositions etc? And what is model? I assume polygons?

Ah I see. What's your highest score?

I just played with a random Japanese player on Steel Beast. My highest score on this stage was 1.35 + million and now we both have 1.45 + million score! I learnt something new from this random Japanese player is that you can kill Gnezdo as soon as it spawn and kill one of the Napad at the 150th kill and still score very high. I thought it worked like the Zombie stages where you have to kill the hidden boss at the 150th kill.
How do you play? Set up for the +10 seconds counters?

Highest score would be 1.3x with Helena (Urban Chaos) and Piers (Steel Beast) and Sherry (Rooftop) by only saving one Napad or Gnezdo. Never really tried to go for a high score though, only gone along with it cause the partner wanted to do it and I never set up the counters for the J'avos or the armored zombies. Will basically only counter if they carry something otherwise I just go for CDG most of the time.

How do you play? Set up for the +10 seconds counters?

Highest score would be 1.3x with Helena (Urban Chaos) and Piers (Steel Beast) and Sherry (Rooftop) by only saving one Napad or Gnezdo. Never really tried to go for a high score though, only gone along with it cause the partner wanted to do it and I never set up the counters for the J'avos or the armored zombies. Will basically only counter if they carry something otherwise I just go for CDG most of the time.

Yes, counter pretty much all enemies as much as possible. It also depends on the stage and character you play as. Some stages are easier to counter than others. Some characters are more powerful in countering than others. You're on PlayStation 3?

Sectus

I have limited knowledge in this stuff. I have done some basic OpenGL graphics. I'm familiar with texture, lighting, perspectives etc. But not shaders. So basically you're saying shaders determine how the texture is to be rendered in terms of lighting, compositions etc? And what is model? I assume polygons?

Yeah, model are the polygons. I might have some details wrong, but shaders basically allows you give much more freedom in how something is rendered. You can compare software rendering and hardware rendering. Software rendering lets you have full control over every step of the rendering, while with hardware rendering you basically send commands to the GPU for how it should be done. But with shaders, you can send custom code to the GPU for how things should be rendered, so you can do many more different things.

I can just link to this which explains it better than me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shader

Dead

well not really...yet
Urgh, got to the boss in Chris chapter 5 and don't have enough ammo...Seems there is no way to fix this unless I restart the chapter...?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh wow... RE.net totally dicked me over. They didn't register my o-man kills for the last event!

No EX ticket.... :(

I'm really bummed now.

maomaoIYP

The way you phrase your post sounds like a job and Capcom paid you for your "contract work".

LOL. I just find the farm for X creature using Y weapon challenges boring as hell. Kills with knife? Come on man, that's boring as shit, and you know the insanely hardcore dudes will set it to easy and repeat a checkpoint over and over.

Dreamer RD

Haven't played this in ages and decided to host some runs on Rooftops. Pretty fun avoiding Chainsaw dudes with Chris EX3 outfit. Two noobs joined, not even finished a single run.
Then third player was decent and we finished with 1371k.

Any news about extra modes on PS3?

Treb

Argh don't think RE.net registered my kills for the Orgemans too. I really wanted that EX3 Leon costume. :(

Also, good games the other night, Gyrian! I will get better!

Gyrian

Argh don't think RE.net registered my kills for the Orgemans too. I really wanted that EX3 Leon costume. :(

Also, good games the other night, Gyrian! I will get better!

We need to try that again sometime, our last run in Mining the Depths was rather smooth! :D

Has it been confirmed yet who is handling the pc port? Was hoping Nixxes was but it's not on their page or anything.

It's being done by QLOC, who also handled other Capcom ports like SFIV AE and DmC.
I think Nixxes is only working with Square Enix?

We need to try that again sometime, our last run in Mining the Depths was rather smooth! :D

It's being done by QLOC, who also handled other Capcom ports like SFIV AE and DmC.
I think Nixxes is only working with Square Enix?

You're totally right, was confusing SE's work with Nixxes with Capcom's work with QLOC. QLOC also does amazing ports as well so great news. Is it going to have DX11 features like Resident Evil 5 had DX10?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hit 150 solo in Creature Workshop, that only leaves me with Liquid Fire to have done them all. :D

LOL you guys are on another level. I'm ecstatic when I get a 150 combo in co-op, and so far the only two levels I have a 150 on are Urban Chaos and Mining the Depths. However this is mainly because I haven't played the game in over three months.

vg260

So does anyone know how that Steam pre-order incentive is supposed to work?

Do you have to pre-order before the bonuses are reached or just have to pre-order and you get everything that had been hit?

Sectus

So does anyone know how that Steam pre-order incentive is supposed to work?

Do you have to pre-order before the bonuses are reached or just have to pre-order and you get everything that had been hit?

No matter what time you pre-order, you'll get all the bonuses which are reached before the game is released.

Sectus

Cool. Thanks. I'll sit tight then. I have GMG credit to use up.
One thing to note though: you'll only get these bonuses if you pre-order directly from steam. Buy it from another store or digital store, and you'll get no bonuses or different bonuses.

It looks like some other sites (like capcom's official store and gamersgate) give out a pre order bonus which is a small artbook and onslaught dlc mode.

vg260

One thing to note though: you'll only get these bonuses if you pre-order directly from steam. Buy it from another store or digital store, and you'll get no bonuses or different bonuses.

It looks like some other sites (like capcom's official store and gamersgate) give out a pre order bonus which is a small artbook and onslaught dlc mode.

Yeah. I'm on the fence since GMG has 20-25% off codes all the time, so it really depends on what happens with the DLC season pass bonus on Steam.

Top Bottom