• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I wonder to what degree the addition of moving and shooting will prove a distracting talking point in reviews. Of all the changes, that one strikes me as nearly inconsequential, especially compared to the new melee system, running, sliding, etc.

It was in Revelations so it shouldn't really be a big deal, but I'm guessing a lot of the people who reviewed 6 haven't even touched Revelations.

def sim

Chris's campaign utilizes the new mechanics better than Leon's has. The first two chapters have played similarly to mercenaries mode only on a linear path. It's surprisingly fun and a lot better than the impressions I've read here portrayed it.

Eeesh those reviews. Its even worse than I imagined. All the higher ones being "exclusive" really makes the whole thing suspect. Dusk kind of had me reasoning to just pick it up and see how it is but man too many actually good games are coming out. Ill just Redbox it at some point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh boy... It is varied like I expected it to be, but some are really hopping on the hate bandwagon here. I think the 5-9 scores are fair, but there isn't anything broken, wrong, or straight-out terrible about the game so I am surprised to see some sites giving it 3-4s.

I think there's something wrong this might be received critically worse than Operation Raccoon City, or even Sonic 06.

Eeesh those reviews. Its even worse than I imagined. All the higher ones being "exclusive" really makes the whole thing suspect. Dusk kind of had me reasoning to just pick it up and see how it is but man too many actually good games are coming out. Ill just Redbox it at some point.

There's still plenty of 8s and 9s coming in, most people are just focusing on the low scores in discussion.

hamchan

I agree that 6-8 seems about right for this game. For game reviews anything below 5 normally means a broken game. This game is not broken.

Yeah, thats what I figured. It seems to be a promising game coated with a layer of dumb bullshit, and your sensitivity to that bullshit can either barely bother you or ruin the game.

Oh boy... It is varied like I expected it to be, but some are really hopping on the hate bandwagon here. I think the 5-9 scores are fair, but there isn't anything broken, wrong, or straight-out terrible about the game so I am surprised to see some sites giving it 3-4s.

I think there's something wrong this might be received critically worse than Operation Raccoon City, or even Sonic 06.

There's still plenty of 8s and 9s coming in, most people are just focusing on the low scores in discussion.

Yeah but none of the high ones are coming in from any outlets I look too:

- Edge
- Eurogamer
- GiantBomb
- Destructoid

I usually pick based on the consensus of the 4 of these guys together to make a choice.

Good gravy its a 65 on MC already. This could end up being the worst reviewed RE of all time.

- Edge
- Eurogamer
- GiantBomb
- Destructoid

I usually pick based on the consensus of the 4 of these guys together to make a choice.

Good gravy its a 65 on MC already. This could end up being the worst reviewed RE of all time.

Speaking of, I was wrong and Vire was right. Good thing ban bets are no longer allowed =(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39813805&postcount=96

Would it be advised to play the game by jumping from one campaign to another (following the timeline in the OP) or just do it one campaign at a time (if so, which order)?

I was predicting somewhere in the 70s because of its polarizing nature.

So Dusk, you've beaten the game right? How would YOU put it? The most consistent thing I see is (ironically) that it's so inconsistent. I don't want to sound like some diehard fanboy or anything but this reminds me of the reviews for Dragons Dogma, which is probably my favourite game this year.

haikira

From the IGN review, this sounds similar to Lords of Shadow to me. It could have greatly benefited from pulling in the scope just a little and editing out some sections. For the record though, I loved Lords of Shadow.

Still staying true to course and getting this midnight. 7 hours to go here. Going in with a realistic expectation that it'll be a good game with some annoying parts. Still hyped though =D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

- Edge
- Eurogamer
- GiantBomb
- Destructoid

I've played Leon's campaign. It's not great, but it's not terrible or broken. I'd give it a 7.

Dusk Golem

So Dusk, you've beaten the game right? How would YOU put it? The most consistent thing I see is (ironically) that it's so inconsistent. I don't want to sound like some diehard fanboy or anything but this reminds me of the reviews for Dragons Dogma, which is probably my favourite game this year.

I hope others put their input here as well now that reviews are out (there's a lot of impressions in this topic starting around page 30), and I don't believe in numerical scores when rating things personally.

I still stick by how I feel that it is a flawed gem. I think when the game is good, it is can be really good and has some of the best highs in the series. But when it's bad, it can be really bad and has also some of the lowest points in the series. As a whole though, I found it a very fun experience, a somewhat uneven one, but I personally had a lot of fun with it. I found the story more interesting than RE5 (though the big twist is poor, yet the inner character interactions better) and feel it is a better single-player and co-op experience from RE5, so I feel it is a better game than 5. I do not think it is better than 4, but I would put it on par for me with Revelations, just for completely different reasons.

As I've been saying the last few days, I expect some to love it and some to hate it. I thought this game would be extremely polarizing, it definitely seems to be. I am still surprised more GAF'ers have been warming up to it while playing it than not, though and how harsh US critics are being. It for some reason is doing fairly well in Europe, but American critics are really smashing it.

Time to eat crow lol.

I'm crying because I can't fit any more crow in my tender mouth.

I hope others put their input here as well now that reviews are out (there's a lot of impressions in this topic starting around page 30), and I don't believe in numerical scores when rating things personally.

I still stick by how I feel that it is a flawed gem. I think when the game is good, it is can be really good and has some of the best highs in the series. But when it's bad, it can be really bad and has also some of the lowest points in the series. As a whole though, I found it a very fun experience, a somewhat uneven one, but I personally had a lot of fun with it. I found the story more interesting than RE5 (though the big twist is poor, yet the inner character interactions better) and feel it is a better single-player and co-op experience from RE5, so I feel it is a better game than 5. I do not think it is better than 4, but I would put it on par for me with Revelations, just for completely different reasons.

As I've been saying the last few days, I expect some to love it and some to hate it. I thought this game would be extremely polarizing, it definitely seems to be. I am still surprised more GAF'ers have been warming up to it while playing it than not, though and how harsh US critics are being. It for some reason is doing fairly well in Europe, but American critics are really smashing it.

I'm really hoping this ends up being the Resident Evil Dragons Dogma for me, and you're dumping gas on that flame. Only one day left to go.

Bladenic

I never expected the reviews to be this low honestly. I was expecting something like low 80% average at best, and mid 70's at worst. Not this. I can imagine the Capcom offices right now are insane.

denshuu

On a semi-related note, now that we're all okay with calling Capcom games out on having shitty controls with tedious gameplay elements, can we start doing the same for Monster Hunter? I'm kind of tired of having the "It's terrible by design so that makes it okay" conversation with people and it sort of feels like we're starting to get past that now.

On a semi-related note, now that we're all okay with calling Capcom games out on having shitty controls with tedious gameplay elements, can we start doing the same for Monster Hunter? I'm kind of tired of having the "It's terrible by design so that makes it okay" conversation with people and it sort of feels like we're starting to get past that now.

Anyone who went through the trouble to learn the claw is too far gone for you to point out that the claw is fucking retarded.

Sectus

These reviews are a lot lower than I imagined. It seems really unfair to call this a copycat game or unimaginative. Spend 10 minutes with the combat system and you'll understand this doesn't play like other shooters at all. Well, unless you're stubborn and refuse to learn the new mechanics and instead pretend it's a normal shooter. If the negative reviewers are playing it like that, I can understand.

They need to release a patch to make the QTE more forgiving. I am being deadly serious, some of them are so fucking hard. They're not even complicated actions, usually just wiggling the analogue stick but you HAVE TO BE SUPERMAN OR BE ABLE TO PREDICT THE FUTURE TO DO THEM FAST ENOUGH FIRST TIME.

There is one in particular during the Ada campaign when you're fighting
the chainsaw guy
on the train tracks. You die if you don't do it fast enough and I'm actually placing my right palm on the stick and moving it left and right as fast as possible and still dying. I'm thinking I need to actually start doing it before the prompt shows up.

Anyway, worst thing about the game right there. If you must have QTE in the game, don't make them absurdly difficult.

Can Jake stay shirtless for the rest of the game? ;_;

Am I the only one really enjoying his campaign? The encounters with
Ustanak
have been great. I like the
stealth
sections too. And chapter 3 so far is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

It just has a really unique feel to it.

Bladenic

These reviews are a lot lower than I imagined. It seems really unfair to call this a copycat game or unimaginative. Spend 10 minutes with the combat system and you'll understand this doesn't play like other shooters at all. Well, unless you're stubborn and refuse to learn the new mechanics and instead pretend it's a normal shooter. If the negative reviewers are playing it like that, I can understand.

Somehow, I feel like most of them are playing it like this. Then there are those who are still stuck on the older games, haven't liked the series 3/CV, etc. But I digress.

Nemesis_

Step 1 - Denial

I've played the game. The whole thing. A finished retail copy.

Seriously, I suggest you do the same. With a clear mind. Though I doubt that will happen.

There is no denial here. I understand it's polarising but I think it's pretty dumb to make such baseless comments like this one.

You tried though

Can Jake stay shirtless for the rest of the game? ;_;

Am I the only one really enjoying his campaign? The encounters with
Ustanak
have been great. I like the
stealth
sections too. And chapter 3 so far is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

It just has a really unique feel to it.

I played all of the campaigns, albeit chronologically. I really enjoyed Jake's third chapter, it's got a unique aesthetic to it and a locale not visited in any other campaign. The feel was perfect, and yes, I liked his campaign too. His campaign was more of an opportunity for the developers to experiment with some less orthodox gameplay styless and it works quite well.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, thats what I figured. It seems to be a promising game coated with a layer of dumb bullshit, and your sensitivity to that bullshit can either barely bother you or ruin the game.

Seems like that is what it is boiling down to. I have a rather high tolerance for warts and niggles, but am hoping that the full game does not overwhelm me with such bullshit. I got accustomed to the demo and love it, so here is to diving in and seeing for myself.

Seems like that is what it is boiling down to. I have a rather high tolerance for warts and niggles, but am hoping that the full game does not overwhelm me with such bullshit. I got accustomed to the demo and love it, so here is to diving in and seeing for myself.

Well, I loved Dragons Dogma so hopefully the same happens here.

Seriously, I suggest you do the same. With a clear mind. Though I doubt that will happen.

There is no denial here. I understand it's polarising but I think it's pretty dumb to make such baseless comments like this one.

You tried though

I'm next to my phone, waiting for a call from my game store so I can pick up my copy.

Trust me, I want this to be good.

My post was partly meant as a joke, no offense, but yeah I'm really concerned about this games quality.

Nemesis_

I'm next to my phone, waiting for a call from my game store so I can pick up my copy.

Trust me, I want this to be good.

My post was partly meant as a joke, no offense, but yeah I'm really concerned about this games quality.

I think you will like it. I was very worried after both demos (although I hid this worry) but upon playing the full thing it's great, varied and very fun. The third person shooter mechanics are unique and have their own identity (though I will not deny they pick and choose from some games). It kind of feels like Vanquish.

Play it, give it a chance, it will click. I really found myself loving it once it clicked.

Replicant

Leon's final boss is so shitty. I've been trying for the past 2 hours to beat him to no avail. Is there some kind of trick or something? I've done
the stupid QTE thing where you evade then quickly press R1 to climb onto his pincers and plant a bomb in his body
for about 6 times but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Also, what's the point of that
lightning rod
that you can investigate? You seem able to carry it but there's no use for it.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, I loved Dragons Dogma so hopefully the same happens here.

Indeed.

2_thumbs-up.jpeg

Risgroo

I feel like such a weirdo for liking this, and it's no use saying I like it in the review thread, as that apparently makes me a fanboy. I'd played two RE games prior to this one, 4 and 5, and I hated 5. 6 is silly, but very fun.

Dusk Golem

Leon's final boss is so shitty. I've been trying for the past 2 hours to beat him to no avail. Is there some kind of trick or something? I've done
the stupid QTE thing where you evade then quickly press R1 to climb onto his pincers and plant a bomb in his body
for about 6 times but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Also, what's the point of that
lightning rod

It's actually pretty simple. You shoot the orange parts and kill the other zombies. The final boss will absorb the zombie with the lightning rod to try and regenerate, but will be struck by lightning. You then pick up the lightning rod, stuff it into another zombie, rinse and repeat until it lowers its head. Then walk up to it with the lightning rod in hand and it'll trigger the final blow.

I feel like such a weirdo for liking this, and it's no use saying I like it in the review thread, as that apparently makes me a fanboy. I'd played two RE games prior to this one, 4 and 5, and I hated 5. 6 is silly, but very fun.

I'm in the same boat. I feel like I've been very fair about the game, I enjoyed it but I feel I've done a good job analyzing it and being subjective about things to allow people to pick up on things they may or may not like about it... But if you like the game and mention it people label you as a fanboy or say the people who bought it are obviously the RE faithful. I do like the RE series, and obviously I was excited for 6, but I enjoy a lot of different series and like to keep my diet varied. I feel it's going to be tough to be someone enjoying the game or trying to point out there's some obvious bias in these reviews as that apparently marks you as a 'fanboy'.

Risgroo

lightning rod

Nvm, beaten.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You're right about there being more positive than negative reviews at present. I'm not arguing with you because I'm trying to defend that other guy, but here are a few points.

There is no "clear mind." You were anticipating this game intensely and made a huge OT about it. Your mind was no more clear than anyone else's, arguably less.

The game is not polarizing. The repeated incorrect use of that word is another symptom of the black and white mentality so often on display in discussion forums. The distribution of scores so far is normal, leaning towards a negative skew (meaning there are more scores in the positive range than negative - counterintuitive terminology, I know).

The game is not love-it-or-hate it. It's a bloated, multifaceted ...thing... that is going to appeal to many degrees to many tastes. The distribution of scores reflects that. The real question is why aren't more games met with a wider array of evaluations?

robot

I gotta be honest, watching that Gamespot video review is making me want to play it. Some of the stuff looks so over the top that it actually drops below awful and resets to awesome. Chris Redfield is seriously
flying a fighter jet in what looks like an Ace Combat demo?!?

They just went completely off the deep end here.

Replicant

It's actually pretty simple. You shoot the orange parts and kill the other zombies. The final boss will absorb the zombie with the lightning rod to try and regenerate, but will be struck by lightning. You then pick up the lightning rod, stuff it into another zombie, rinse and repeat until it lowers its head. Then walk up to it with the lightning rod in hand and it'll trigger the final blow.

OH FFS.
Is that what you're meant to do with that rod?
Okay, I'll give it last try.

Reviews are everywhere, still gonna pick it up tomorrow. I rather trust people who have already played the games compare to review sites. maybe its the hipster thats talking in me. plus most of those sites often defend Me3 ending, Mw3 high's score, Skyrim and etc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Dude I love your mercenary videos!

I'm probably foolish for doing so but I'm going to go ahead and buy this tonight despite the alarming critical reception. I trust those of you giving praise to the game genuinely enjoyed it, and aren't just defending a title you had a lot of interest invested in.

SkylineRKR

OH FFS.
Is that what you're meant to do with that rod?
Okay, I'll give it last try.

Yes,

I didn't even plant bombs. I just shot his glowing orbs and planted the rod into a zombie every time until his head is completely lowered and uncovered. Its a retarded fight that feels as if its being ripped from Lost Planet. I think the Chapter 4 showdown with him was much better

Dusk Golem

If anything, I'm really interested to see how this game's consensus is going to be after tonight and tomorrow when more people get the game. I expect a lot to hate it at first, especially since of the Prelude the game has, but so far the reception has been pretty warm from those who have been playing/played it. I expect more objectivity, which I think is a good thing as it allows for multiple viewpoints, but I'm curious if when more people get their hands on it if the more positive than expected GAF impressions will hold up, or if the more overall consensus will be worse off?

Top Bottom