• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I'm probably foolish for doing so but I'm going to go ahead and buy this tonight despite the alarming critical reception. I trust those of you giving praise to the game genuinely enjoyed it, and aren't just defending a title you had a lot of interest invested in.

Well, I did experience some frustration in Jake's first two chapters that almost had me wanting the whole thing to end so I could just sell the game and forget about it. But then some really great moments followed and all was forgiven.

The good outweighs the bad, just. It's one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like such a weirdo for liking this, and it's no use saying I like it in the review thread, as that apparently makes me a fanboy. I'd played two RE games prior to this one, 4 and 5, and I hated 5. 6 is silly, but very fun.

Don't pay attention to such nonsense. It's a very polarizing game that has more than meets the eye to the quirky gameplay, but many will never discover that because of it's warts and will automatically write it off as some trashy 'bro' shooter wanna be, when it actually could not be more different with some of the stuff it does. Does it have it's faults? Hell yes, but that hardly makes it beyond having fun with.

At any rate, this would not be the first time I ended up finding some redeeming qualities and enjoying a game that got totally shit on and it will surely not be the last. That is why I really never get all hot n' bothered by reviews. I just play whatever appeals to me and try not to get caught up in all the, 'YoU HaVe To Be TeH fAnBoY tO lIkE dIs CaSuAl MaInStReAm TrAsH' talk. It's fun to laugh at, though.

Replicant

Thanks for the help for Leon's final boss, Dusk.

I can finally go to sleep. Jake and Leon's campaign are done. Chris is next....tomorrow.

For what it's worth, the game has its highs and its lows. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's downright frustrating. Overall, I think the new mechanic works, except for the cover. I hope they ditch that or change it into something better next time. And oh, pull back the camera a bit more. The new sliding, run/gun, evade, and melee mechanic work very well IMO.

ezekial45

Banned
Despite all these reviews, I'm looking forward to giving the game a go in a few days.

I think I'll have a lot of fun with Jake's campaign. He looks like a cool cat. Can anyone comment on his campaign?

If this reception is any indication, the demo was a perfect example of the game: a pedastrain, aggressively average shooter that tries to make up for it's failings at basic TPS game design by having a LOT of content.

Should be an interesting rental

Replicant

I think I'll have a lot of fun with Jake's campaign. He looks like a cool cat. Can anyone comment on his campaign?

It's the easiest, most charming (story-wise) of all three IMO. Thanks mostly to Jake and Sherry's interaction. Except for one annoying part, I find Jake's part is designed for the beginners to the franchise. Quite easy to soldier through.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Despite all these reviews, I'm looking forward to giving the game a go in a few days.

Probably the most innovative and controversial. Opinions on him have probably been the most wide-spread. Some think he's the weakest campaign, others one of the strongest. Some think his beginning is weak but a stronger ending, others think he had a stronger beginning and a weaker ending.

haikira

I've seen people showing chronological order of chapters to play. But out of curiosity, is there an advised order for campaigns? Just a logical way that would make them the best order to tackle?

Cheers.

6 hours to go =D

Bladenic

I've seen people showing chronological of chapters to play. But out of curiosity, is there an advised order for campaigns? Just a logical way that would make them the best order to tackle?

Cheers.

6 hours to go =D

Since Leon's final chapter is apparently the last chronologically, his campaign would probably be done last, while Chris's first two chapters are the first chronologically it seems, so his should be done first. Of course, there is a lot of middle ground, such as Jake's final chapter being before both Chris and Leon.

So basically, I would just play whoever you want unless you wanna fully do the chronological thing.

Lucent

-lifts finger as if about to say something-

He said expect, not hope.

Thanks. =)

Will wait till that game hit the bargain bin.

=[

I'll just get both and have double the great time. :p

To be fair, you practically came in here on hands and knees begging for such replies.

Yeah. It's really kind of annoying to me when people step in to say stuff like that. Makes it seem like they're saying "this game sucks and you're an idiot for not getting the one I'm getting instead". I just imagine a troll face.

Also, my Amazon order shipped. Should be here tomorrow.

Eidan

If this reception is any indication, the demo was a perfect example of the game: a pedastrain, aggressively average shooter that tries to make up for it's failings at basic TPS game design by having a LOT of content.

Should be an interesting rental

If the demo is any indication, RE5 will remain the best in the series.

KissVibes

Banned
I'm hopeful that this is coming in the mail this week and if it is, I'm looking for a co-op partner. I'm getting the PS3 version and plan on recording my sessions for youtube so it helps if you're comfortable with that and can play for decent periods of time and don't mind chilling out while I stop to upload said footage (my hard-drive for recording is stupid small).

haikira

Since Leon's final chapter is apparently the last chronologically, his campaign would probably be done last, while Chris's first two chapters are the first chronologically it seems, so his should be done first. Of course, there is a lot of middle ground, such as Jake's final chapter being before both Chris and Leon.

So basically, I would just play whoever you want unless you wanna fully do the chronological thing.

Cheers.

Kind of surprised by some of the really low scores. It absolutely has flaws but I don't feel like it's a bad game overall. I like it more than 5, think the overall pacing is much better. Most of the downtime in RE5 was just plain boring.

Also, review threads are awful. A bunch of people who haven't played the game saying that it deserves bad scores while ignoring the good ones. I'm staying in here...

Kind of surprised by some of the really low scores. It absolutely has flaws but I don't feel like it's a bad game overall. I like it more than 5, think the overall pacing is much better. Most of the downtime in RE5 was just plain boring.

Also, review threads are awful. A bunch of people who haven't played the game saying that it deserves bad scores while ignoring the good ones. I'm staying in here...

Agreed with you good sir.

I gotta be honest, watching that Gamespot video review is making me want to play it. Some of the stuff looks so over the top that it actually drops below awful and resets to awesome. Chris Redfield is seriously
flying a fighter jet in what looks like an Ace Combat demo?!?

They just went completely off the deep end here.

He
flew the same exact fighter in CV
nice throwback

vg260

Is this a game where the strategy guide would help, or is it action-y enough that maps and item locations are not that useful? (Yeah, I'm a lazy gamer now).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is this a game where the strategy guide would help, or is it action-y enough that maps and item locations are not that useful? (Yeah, I'm a lazy gamer now).

The game is totally linear with an objective marker so you probably shouldn't pay for a guide. I'm sure FAQs will be posted online very soon, as lots of people have had the game for several days already.

Riposte

I've read the inventory has no limit. Is this true? I suspected the inventory's size was greatly increased, but there seemed to be a cutoff.

Just wondering,

How long is Ada's chapter? Is it as long as 3 other characters, or she only get one short chapter?

It's about 4-6 hours, so shorter than the others but still a decent length.

I've read the inventory has no limit. Is this true. I suspected the inventory's size was greatly increased, but there seemed to be a cutoff.

Nope, not true at all. I've had several occasions where I've ran out of room and had to decide whether to drop some grenades to pick up a herb etc.

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I couldn't care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plain cut and dry.

raven777

It's about 4-6 hours, so shorter than the others but still a decent length.

Nope, not true at all. I've had several occasions where I've ran out of room and had to decide whether to drop some grenades to pick up a herb etc.

cool. I was worried it was going to be 1-2 hour short

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I could care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plan cut and dry.

Feels really bad. REALLY bad.

I'm glad that most of you will buy this game nonetheless. It's not a masterpiece but anything below a 7/10 is a joke imo.
And I also think that revelations was a third person shooter, not a survival game.

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I could care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plan cut and dry.

I don't have any issues with them. I don't really understand what is meant to be bad about them compared to any other third person game that involved shooting. The melee is a little iffy but only if you're trying to punch everything to death. Jake's melee combat works well in my opinion as dodge is replaced by being able to weave around who you're fighting.

Feels really bad. REALLY bad.

Please elaborate as I'm really not getting the hate for the controls or shooting.

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I couldn't care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plan cut and dry.

Play the demo a few times, the first time you play it you will not like it, try it again and experiement with it. That should tell you what you will think of the mechanics.

Feels like it does in every RE

I think that's being unfair on this game to be honest. I never had issues with older RE game either but you certainly get a lot more control and sliding, dodging, ducking etc. feels really fluid to me.

But yes, shooting is essentially the same as RE4 and 5, but apparently that's now a bad thing.

Teknoman

The actual gameplay mechanics are not bad in the least bit. Set to laser sight and you're good to go. The problem most of the "game is bad" people have are the large amount of QTE (which I cant comment on since I dont have retail yet...but people dont seem to like QTE these days in general), story isnt very focused/tries to do too many things or satisfy everyone.

EDIT: And yeah, while Revelations was slower paced than 5, it still felt more towards the TPS end of the spectrum.

Sectus

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I couldn't care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plan cut and dry.

It's very different from RE4 and RE5, and it takes a while to get used to but I think they're fun mechanics. Doing counters and dodges are very satisfying when you do them right. Melees are now less about shooting enemies in a specific body parts and more about just mixing them more in with shooting. You'll switch between shooting and melee more often and more seamlessly now.

The actual gameplay mechanics are not bad in the least bit. Set to laser sight and you're good to go. The problem most of the "game is bad" people have are the large amount of QTE (which I cant comment on since I dont have retail yet...but people dont seem to like QTE these days in general), story isnt very focused/tries to do too many things or satisfy everyone.

It does try a lot of things but I don't really think it does any of them terribly, except a certain vehicle section involving Jake which is really hard not to die on a few times.

Also, the main problem with QTE is that some of them are un-fucking-believably hard. My left analogue stick is going to break I'm pretty sure. Being completely serious when I say that a patch should be in order to make them more forgiving.

Gbraga

Can anyone give some insight as to how well the actual shooting, dodging, and melee work? I couldn't care less about the story, but so far all I'm hearing in terms of the gameplay is its different therefor bad; "too much action" and such. That's been the naysayers' case since Re4 so is it actually bad? Not for RE standards, just plain cut and dry.

They work fine, you can see all of them in action here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
well gnight! cant wait for tomorrow :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My Newegg copy has been in the "packaging" status for the past 6 hours. Jeez, how long does it take to drop the case into an envelope??!!

The actual gameplay mechanics are not bad in the least bit. Set to laser sight and you're good to go.

Yeah, also perks like the reduced recoil make the shooting mechanics feel better and more akin to 4/5.

It's never truly the same due to how enemies react to being shot(And with the zoomed in camera) but it's still good.

Top Bottom