• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When a screen tells you to "adjust the slider so that this shape/image is nearly invisible" they usually choose a shade that is close to black and against a deeper black background. In RE6, the contrast between the "6" and the background it's on is much too great to serve as any kind of calibration image.

My PS3 is properly set to limited RGB and my TV is calibrated properly for contrast and brightness. I've never had a problem with any other game.

I'm not saying it looks wrong in-game, because I haven't seen it yet. I shared the complaints about the demo being too dark at the default brightness, though.
I'd argue that the game is designed for TVs most people don't own.

On my Kuro, the default brightness is flawless. All shadow detail is visible and the game is appropriately dark.

Most adjustment screens don't really make sense since the dawn of flat panels as TVs.

If the game appeared too dark then it was a limitation of your display, plain and simple.

Most games these days are designed with LCDs in mind and don't suffer, but RE6 clearly was not. That works for me but it's definitely an issue for many.

I suspect this is why most footage on Youtube appears washed out as the player no doubt cranked up brightness. For those that do not I would agree that it is difficult to see on my LCD. Lesser plasmas will also have issues.

Fact is, the visual design of RE6 goes against the strengths of most flat panel displays in peoples homes.

really ugly looking game eh (ps3).
What do you find so ugly about it? I keep seeing these sentiments thrown around but I have to respectfully disagree. The game is gorgeous most of the time. Beautiful lighting, shadows, and models with very dense scenes. Some of the textures are a bit low-res upon close inspection, but the scene composition as a whole is excellent.

Gbraga

That's what it is, then, I didn't have a problem with the game's darkness as well, but I play on a plasma screen properly calibrated, with the PS3 RGB set as Limited.

d0c_zaius

What do you find so ugly about it? I keep seeing these sentiments thrown around but I have to respectfully disagree. The game is gorgeous most of the time. Beautiful lighting, shadows, and models with very dense scenes. Some of the textures are a bit low-res upon close inspection, but the scene composition as a whole is excellent.

-the bloom

-the low res textures at times

-the ultra shiny/stiff hair

-the random fuzzy graphics

-the color choices

-some awkward animations and animation transitions

watching some 360 streams last night showed me that some of these issues aren't as significant on the xbox version.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Plasma owner here too and the game looks gorgeous on my 360. It's darker on my PS3 but I don't know what my RGB settings are on that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

On my Kuro, the default brightness is flawless. All shadow detail is visible and the game is appropriately dark.

Most adjustment screens don't really make sense since the dawn of flat panels as TVs.

If the game appeared too dark then it was a limitation of your display, plain and simple.

Most games these days are designed with LCDs in mind and don't suffer, but RE6 clearly was not. That works for me but it's definitely an issue for many.

I suspect this is why most footage on Youtube appears washed out as the player no doubt cranked up brightness. For those that do not I would agree that it is difficult to see on my LCD. Lesser plasmas will also have issues.

Fact is, the visual design of RE6 goes against the strengths of most flat panel displays in peoples homes.

I'd argue that's further evidence of gross incompetence.

I've had the same TV for 5 years. No problems with brightness/contrast in any game that I can recall. That means the game is to blame, and although you've offered an explanation, it's absolutely no excuse.

But regardless of all that, your Plasma doesn't make their brightness calibration screen NOT completely retarded. No matter how deep your blacks get, the difference in shades between the 6 and the background is massive. It's just not how you calibrate brightness. I don't know how they could have come up with that way of doing it.

Esura

Banned
I have an issue with Jake Chapter 2.

How do you sneak past the butterfly scanner things from the giant Istanbul?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I've had the same TV for 5 years. No problems with brightness/contrast in any game that I can recall. That means the game is to blame, and although you've offered an explanation, it's absolutely no excuse.

But regardless of all that, your Plasma doesn't make their brightness calibration screen NOT completely retarded. No matter how deep your blacks get, the difference in shades between the 6 and the background is massive. It's just not how you calibrate brightness. I don't know how they could have come up with that way of doing it.

I usually use the area to the right of all the text, near the edge of the screen. That's a better gauge for how dark the game is, since the 6 is always lit up like a Christmas tree.

Better yet, just adjust the brightness in-game.

dark10x

You're using a 5 year old TV? Technology from 5 years ago wasn't good enough to handle the blacks necessary for this game. Which make/model?

I'm glad someone created a darker game that isn't compromised for those of us using displays capable of handling the full range.

-the bloom

-the color choices

watching some 360 streams last night showed me that some of these issues aren't as significant on the xbox version.
Uhh, it looks exactly the same on 360. Everything is basically 1:1 identical between the two (asset wise). Slight differences in image quality and performance exist, but all of the things you mentioned are going to be exactly the same in both versions.

Played for a good while last night and...

I'm having a great time! I actually want to take back my rental copy and just outright purchase the game.

Has anyone else tried playing the game with the music off? All of the environmental audio/music still plays, so it's not exactly missing atmosphere. It's pretty intense. Cut scenes are kind of awkward but at least the game isn't littered with terrible orchestral stabs.

Dartastic

So many weird differing opinions. Brad says that Leon's campaign is the worst, yet others are saying it's the best and... UGH. What is going on?

dark10x

Played for a good while last night and...

I'm having a great time! I actually want to take back my rental copy and just outright purchase the game.

Has anyone else tried playing the game with the music off? All of the environmental audio/music still plays, so it's not exactly missing atmosphere. It's pretty intense. Cut scenes are kind of awkward but at least the game isn't littered with terrible orchestral stabs.
That's how I played both Dead Space games (which had TERRIBLE music that was completely obnoxious).

RE series has always had good music, though, so I'd be hesitant about doing that here.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You're using a 5 year old TV? Technology from 5 years ago wasn't good enough to handle the blacks necessary for this game. Which make/model?

I'm glad someone created a darker game that isn't compromised for those of us using displays capable of handling the full range.

It's a Samsung LN40A550. I know, it's an old LCD, therefore my criticisms are invalid, right? Except my criticism was that their calibration image is ridiculous, not that the game is too dark in practice. I haven't started playing the retail copy yet. I know that I can adjust the brightness to make it look okay. The issue isn't my feeble and outdated technology. I just like knowing an image is properly calibrated and with this game I can't.

d0c_zaius

Uhh, it looks exactly the same on 360. Everything is basically 1:1 identical between the two (asset wise). Slight differences in image quality and performance exist, but all of the things you mentioned are going to be exactly the same in both versions.

Well I'm playing the ps3 version, and noticed the 360 version looking better (and am going to disagree with "exactly", definitely). Whether it's due to something specific or just a general change, it doesn't matter. It's certainly possible that while those negatives are the same on both versions, they impact the game as a whole less on the 360 than PS3. Given how past Capcom ports are, this is a reasonable assumption. Is this a MT Framework title?

I noticed visible improvements watching a 1080p stream of the 360 version. I don't expect the average consumer to be as nitpicky as myself though.

and I'm going from annoyed to really concerned that I've spent almost 2 hours waiting for someone to join my Leon chapter 1 game...

dark10x

Well I'm playing the ps3 version, and noticed the 360 version looking better (and am going to disagree with "exactly", definitely). Whether it's due to something specific or just a general change, it doesn't matter. It's certainly possible that while those negatives are the same on both versions, they impact the game as a whole less on the 360 than PS3. Given how past Capcom ports are, this is a reasonable assumption. Is this a MT Framework title?

I noticed visible improvements watching a 1080p stream of the 360 version. I don't expect the average consumer to be as nitpicky as myself though.
I have no idea what you're seeing.

I've seen no difference in the streams and, more importantly, the PS3 and 360 demos look 99.9% identical with performance being the only difference. What you are saying literally doesn't make sense.

It's a Samsung LN40A550. I know, it's an old LCD, therefore my criticisms are invalid, right? Except my criticism was that their calibration image is ridiculous, not that the game is too dark in practice. I haven't started playing the retail copy yet. I know that I can adjust the brightness to make it look okay. The issue isn't my feeble and outdated technology.
Actually, using an LCD can very much have an impact on such a calibration screen. I think you're off base on your criticisms here.

d0c_zaius

I have no idea what you're seeing.

I've seen no difference in the streams and, more importantly, the PS3 and 360 demos look 99.9% identical with performance being the only difference. What you are saying literally doesn't make sense.

I dunno, maybe its aliasing, or other system specific optimizations. As I previously mentioned, there has always been issues with MT Framework and PS3 (although RE5 was fine for me). Parts on PS3 can look pretty fugly, and those sequences didn't stand out as bad on the 360 version.

I'm not talking about the demos though, and not talking about the demo chapters.

But you claiming they are also 1:1 with no factual info other than "i saw demos" also makes no sense. I'll wait for Lens of Truth and Digital Foundry before taking you at your word, sorry. And "performance being the only difference" is a pretty big thing to just gloss over. You can keep trying to tell me I make no sense but considering what I am saying is subjective with no factual way to prove it, you should probably just move on.

360 or PS3 version, which is apparently the best one? Hate screen tearing in case any is present in either.

I believe the OP mentions they fixed screen tearing on both skus.

Do the skills / weapons carry over between characters every time you save, or just when you beat a campaign? I'm debating between going Jake -> Chris -> Leon or going chapter by chapter in timeline order. If shared stuff only carries over from a beaten game, then that would pretty much make my choice for me.

How does the Split Screen Co-op work between console versions? I assume you can sign-in to XBL with both GTs and earn achievements for both players as you play, but can you do the same for the PS3 version? Also, does it make a save file for both players when you save, or just for P1?

Can anyone answer these for me?

lantus

I have to agree with you regarding the darkness complaint, I played the game originally on a 1080i screen which is several years old and it seemed very dark. I since then switched to my 1080p computer monitor which I bought last year and the contrast level is much easier on the eyes.

Can anybody elaborate on this? I'm not seeing it either

Yeah, but I'm confused. If that's what he's talking about, then the camera doesn't follow the player any more than it usually does, so what the hell is he talking about? Also, the quick snap to aim when the camera is pointed somewhere is exactly what the aim to camera option does. Am I misreading this? I interpreted it as you turn left, the camera is always locked to being directly behind you, ie, lock the camera to the player.

EDIT: Yeah he says he locked the camera to follow the player ALA RE4, so what the heck is going on? That kind of option would change everything.

Bollocks

So this RE.net stuff, do I have to do anything special to pop up there?
The game asked me to use RE.net, I agreed and what now?
I can't log in since it uses a Capcom account and it doesn't find any players, me included.
Is it just not up yet?

dark10x

I dunno, maybe its aliasing, or other system specific optimizations. As I previously mentioned, there has always been issues with MT Framework and PS3 (although RE5 was fine for me).

I'm not talking about the demos though, and not talking about the demo chapters.

But you claiming they are also 1:1 with no factual info other than "i saw demos" also makes no sense. I'll wait for Lens of Truth and Digital Foundry before taking you at your word, sorry. And "performance being the only difference" is a pretty big thing to just gloss over.
There have been issues, yes, but in this case, I don't think there are real differences.

You stated this...

-the bloom
-the color choices

The bloom, color choices, animations, and shiny hair are all design choices. Why on earth would you expect those to change? Those are all design choices.

Textures could be different (but don't appear to be) and I don't know what you mean by "random fuzzy graphics".

The performance in the demo actually favored PS3. It had the potential to drop lower, but it was more consistent than 360.

Also, you can see from this demo comparison that the two look basically the same in terms of assets.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-resident-evil-6-demo-screenshot-comparison/

The difference between RE5 on the two systems was quite wide (favoring 360), but RE6 seems much closer in comparison.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Actually, using an LCD can very much have an impact on such a calibration screen. I think you're off base on your criticisms here.

Dude. A calibration screen normally involves a gradient. There's a target image (or color value) that is supposed to be barely visible, while some other lighter image remains more clearly visible. RE6's screen has no gradient. There is no value I can set it to that makes the background and the "6" even close to the same shade. I have messed around with enough calibration images to know that my TV has better range than that.

Even if you're right, that the calibration screen is perfectly useful and correct when viewed on a Kuro Plasma, why would I not complain about a game designed to be played by millions of people being designed ONLY for a TV no one has. I'm glad you think your Kuro is paying off in this situation, but what they've done is indefensible. Why isn't there an option to switch color profiles? Who would intentionally design a game to only look right on TVs that most people don't have?

dark10x

Dude. A calibration screen normally involves a gradient. There's a target image (or color value) that is supposed to be barely visible, while some other lighter image remains more clearly visible. RE6's screen has no gradient. There is no value I can set it to that makes the background and the "6" even close to the same shade. I have messed around with enough calibration images to know that my TV has better range than that.

Even if you're right, that the calibration screen is perfectly useful and correct when viewed on a Kuro Plasma, why would I not complain about a game designed to be played by millions of people being designed ONLY for a TV no one has. I'm glad you think your Kuro is paying off in this situation, but what they've done is indefensible. Why isn't there an option to switch color profiles? Who would intentionally design a game to only look right on TVs that most people don't have?
A LOT of games use symbols instead of gradients. Don't single RE6 out on this one.

I don't disagree that they could have done a better job, but it's not as if it can't be corrected. One should never really base their TVs calibration on such a thing to begin with.

d0c_zaius

There have been issues, yes, but in this case, I don't think there are real differences.

You stated this...

-the bloom
-the color choices

The bloom, color choices, animations, and shiny hair are all design choices. Why on earth would you expect those to change? Those are all design choices.

Textures could be different (but don't appear to be) and I don't know what you mean by "random fuzzy graphics".

The performance in the demo actually favored PS3. It had the potential to drop lower, but it was more consistent than 360.

Also, you can see from this demo comparison that the two look basically the same in terms of assets.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-resident-evil-6-demo-screenshot-comparison/

The difference between RE5 on the two systems was quite wide (favoring 360), but RE6 seems much closer in comparison.

first, those points where in response to "why do you think it is ugly".

second, I said that the combination of those issues appeared less detracting on the 360 (here is my quote again "watching some 360 streams last night showed me that some of these issues aren't as significant on the xbox version"). I didnt say they were changed and I didn't say all of them, I said the negative impact was less severe. Yes I understand that colors dont magically change when ported to another console. and thank you for backing up my statement about previous RE performance on the ps3.

Random fuzzy graphics means that occasionally the game looks like it has a crappy filter or some kind of effect adding to a blurry image. I never had this issue with a previous RE or Capcom MT Framework title. I'm not the only one to point this out.

I appreciate your focusing on data to back up your claims, but "Re6 seems much closer in comparison" is nothing but speculation, as is your 1:1 claim based on the demos.

We are both speculating, and neither is right. Which is why I will wait for 3rd party sources to give actual facts.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Most polarizing game of all time.

Not polarizing at all. Very statistically normal distribution of scores. Polarizing would mean only high and low scores.

A LOT of games use symbols instead of gradients. Don't single RE6 out on this one.

I don't disagree that they could have done a better job, but it's not as if it can't be corrected. One should never really base their TVs calibration on such a thing to begin with.

I'm not calibrating my TV based on the screen. I'm calibrating the game's output. My TV is already calibrated for brightness and contrast to the best of its capabilities.

And don't get hung up on the gradient thing. I didn't mean it literally had to be a gradient. But the shaded symbols have to be CLOSE to the background value for the instructions and adjustments to make sense. It has to have the underlying properties of a gradient. That is my criticism and my only criticism: The calibration screen does not present shades of gray that are close together. There is no value on the slider at which they are even close to the same. That makes it different from just about EVERY other calibration screen I've ever seen. That's it.

Holy shit, the subway tunnels are great! I have my TV set to movie mode because I was experiencing some weird color banding/dithering or whatever it's called coming from the flashlights which made the image darker, but hooo boy it helped make this part really engrossing and atmospheric.

when their flashlights go out I was in legit panic mode

dark10x

first, those points where in response to "why do you think it is ugly".

second, I said that the combination of those issues appeared less detracting on the 360. I didnt say they were changed, I said the negative impact was less severe. Yes I understand that colors dont magically change when ported to another console.

Random fuzzy graphics means that occasionally the game looks like it has a crappy filter or some kind of effect adding to a blurry image. I never had this issue with a previous RE or Capcom MT Framework title. I'm not the only one to point this out.

I appreciate your focusing on data to back up your claims, but "Re6 seems much closer in comparison" is nothing but speculation, as is your 1:1 claim based on the demos.

We are both speculating, and neither is right. Which is why I will wait for 3rd party sources to give actual facts.
I am NOT speculating ON THE DEMO.

We'll see about the final game, however.

That fuzzy filter you're talking about is in both versions, by the way.

I think the differences you are seeing might have something to do with watching videos on one display while playing the game on another. You likely wouldn't see a difference playing the game on both systems using a single display.

So is framerate same on better or should I expect 360 to perform better in general?
I don't know!

Videos suggest that both slowdown a lot.

The demo shows the same. It's not smooth on either platform. The 360 demo dropped more often in the demo but didn't drop quite as low as the PS3 version. That's why I'm having a very tough time choosing the version to buy. Based on the demo, the PS3 version will probably be my choice, but I don't know how the final turned out.

SkylineRKR

Jake's. It has the most of both. Leon's is a close second. Chris has the least.

Absolutely. Its ridiculous but I think his campaign might be the easiest if you go around it a second time. Because lots of those scenes are piss easy but the game doesn't really bother to explain how you could avoid the cheap deaths at first.

d0c_zaius

I am NOT speculating ON THE DEMO.

We'll see about the final game, however.

That fuzzy filter you're talking about is in both versions, by the way.

I think the differences you are seeing might have something to do with watching videos on one display while playing the game on another. You likely wouldn't see a difference playing the game on both systems using a single display.

Well I'm talking about the game. I wont make calls on the final product until actually playing or seeing the final product.

That fuzzy filter sucks, and I don't know why it was implemented.

You are correct though, I was playing RE6 on a sony tv while watching the 1080p 360 stream on my pc monitor. but I would be extremely disappointed if the 360 version was this jaggy. Just sitting on the coop matchmaking screen (now for multiple hours) and helenas arm dances with jaggies as the train goes through the tunnel.

News Bot

Banned
I don't think it's a "fuzzy filter", I think the overall blurred look is part and parcel of whatever AA technique they used, as the game generally has very little of it.

Top Bottom