• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, iirc in the console OT someone posted a great "tutorial" video showing all the controls and how to easily (more or less) perform high level play, stuff that the game doesn't really teach you.

Anyone got a link to that video or to a similar one?

Gyrian

Also, am i being stupid or is the only way to adjust graphics in game via the options menu that DOESNT pause the game? I tried to change my graphics settings and got mobbed cause the friggin game didnt pause :/

Edit

also, more dumb questions. The locke mercenaries maps, are they DLC? And how do you unlock extra characters for mercenaries, is it via campaign?

The game can only be paused if you don't open up to be online when you fire off a campaign.
Using the cellphone never stops the action, though, so it's best left to a quiet area if you need to tweak after setting up in the main menu.

All Mercs content (maps, characters, costumes) save Ada unlocks by completing each available map with a good enough rank (A?).

Nillansan

Hey guys, iirc in the console OT someone posted a great "tutorial" video showing all the controls and how to easily (more or less) perform high level play, stuff that the game doesn't really teach you.

Anyone got a link to that video or to a similar one?

I would love to see that tutorial, I am doing very poorly in 'The Mercenaries' mode.

Gyrian

I would love to see that tutorial, I am doing very poorly in 'The Mercenaries' mode.

Watch any of Sectus' Mercs videos posted in this thread (you can follow up to more there from his channel) for a great look at what's possible.
I personally learned a huge amount from runs like these.

Nillansan

Watch any of Sectus' Mercs videos posted in this thread (you can follow up to more there from his channel) for a great look at what's possible.
I personally learned a huge amount from runs like these.

Thank you.

I have watched a couple of his videos, they provide a great insight into how one should approach the different stages, but my biggest problem is pulling off those evasion moves and getting the timing right for the counter moves.

Failing that, there is a tip thread linked in the OP.

Thank you, I somehow missed that bit, it will serve me well.

Mr_Zombie

I have watched a couple of his videos, they provide a great insight into how one should approach the different stages, but my biggest problem is pulling off those evasion moves and getting the timing right for the counter moves.

Speaking of counter moves, is there a visual cue when you should counter the attack? I managed to do so only once (at least I think that was a counter - it triggered a QTE which I failed >_>) but I have no idea how I did it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Speaking of counter moves, is there a visual cue when you should counter the attack? I managed to do so only once (at least I think that was a counter - it triggered a QTE which I failed >_>) but I have no idea how I did it.
You press two buttons (I think it was L+R on a 360 controller) the very moment before you get hit while directly facing an enemy.

Sectus

*whistles*

http://www.abload.de/img/bh62013-03-2513-44-27g1eeh.jpg

You press two buttons (I think it was L+R on a 360 controller) the very moment before you get hit while directly facing an enemy.

That's incorrect, you only press the attack button to do a counter.

There's a very very brief button prompt showing the timing, but it's really hard to react to. It's best to practice the timing by following the animation of the enemy. Timing always corresponds to when the enemy is about to hit you.

Gyrian

What sorcery is this? Three player Mercs? :D
We're not even a week in and the promise of mods continues to deliver.

As said above, the counter window is mostly very small right before you're hit.
With some enemies it's fairly telegraphed and easy (Bloodshots, 2x4 Zombies) while for others it can feel much more awkward (Lunging Dogs and Zombies). These Mercs videos usually highlight a fair amount of countering, so they're actually pretty helpful in noting at exactly which point of the enemy's animation you should shoot to hit.

Evasion is much easier by comparison. It's mostly staying aware of where everyone is, what everyone is, and reading the enemy patterns.
Dogs, for example, are pretty simple to keep at bay with a little herding and lateral movement. You will notice that once they start running they become pretty committed to where they were facing. A minor step out of way can have them ending their run close to you, but they then remain stationary for a few seconds opening up a second dodge or quickshot.

Dives have an invincibility window that can be exploited. Dive back to open up some distance, dive to the sides to open up an escape.
If you choose to stay on the ground and shoot, make it quick and remember you can still roll to the sides from that position.

All in all, nothing that won't become more natural the more you play.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I don't recall there being a voice on PS3. Pretty sure it is working as intended.

Really? So they actually deliberately took this out of RE6 when it's been in all other Resident Evil games? That's just bullshit Capcom!

Sectus, what are your thoughts on Capcom eliminating the radio voice chatter you hear from your partner during Mercenaries Mode? Don't you find this omission unacceptable? Are yu 100% convinced it's not a glitch?

I'm hoping you'll be able to mod some radio chatter from RE5 into this game.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
There exists two tricks to doing counters more easily (whether you're still learning the animations or in online situations where lag plays a role):

1. Aim your gun at the enemy and around the time when the Counter Prompt shows up (or just a bit before), release the aiming key and spam your attack button. There is a half second or so right after aiming where no animation will come out, but your attack input will be accepted for a counter. This serves to prevent you from doing a weak melee attack. Just make sure you have good situational awareness before doing this as it leaves you open to being attacked from your blindspots.

2. The better option, especially during online play, is to do an ad-lib/partner command where you praise your partner. During the thumbs-up animation, you can spam the attack key to achieve the same effect as the above. This is also useful when trying to counter the
fucking
annoying dogs.

Gyrian: I am so bad at Mercs on PC, it's almost funny. I might have to get a 360 controller if I can find one for a good deal around here.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I already have over 25 hours logged into this, according to Steam. I don't idle either. Guess I really like the game.

I am struggling bad in solo Mercenaries with Helena though (either outfit), which is really disappointing. Earlier I was messing around with Piers for the first time and pulling off S ranks no problem, but I feel even getting an A with her on any map is a hell of a workout. B ranks (or death lol) is about what I typically end up with when I play Helena. Not really sure what I'm missing with her.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
You're probably not missing anything, it's just that some characters have better/easier loadouts for keeping combos going (I call them "get out of jail cards"). Characters with magnums and assault rifles tend to have an easier time, at least until you really start mastering the mechanics (or start learning the HP of enemy types).

Gyrian

Gyrian: I am so bad at Mercs on PC, it's almost funny. I might have to get a 360 controller if I can find one for a good deal around here.

If you have a PS3 controller around, you don't need anything else but MotionInJoy to get started.
To recycle any Xbox controller for PC, you will need one of these. The standard USB cable is only capable of charging, sadly.

Mercs is Mercs, it always seems to be going well until it almost hilariously comes crashing down in a heartbeat. :D

I had a chance to try more No Mercy Duo with Celes, and I kinda walked away thinking it was actually more challenging than Solo!
In the latter, it feels like you can constantly be on the move with a horde at your toes and exploit windows of opportunity. With Duo, there's an extra element of randomness on where the horde puts its attention. And if someone is downed, you can pretty much forget about a rescue. It's often physically impossible to reach your partner with the solid wall the mountains of enemies will form.

Which brings me to this, I despise the stairs in Urban Chaos and everywhere else they exist.
Worst place ever in which to pick a fight, move about, etc. :p

Anyone else running into the memory leak issue with an ati card? Got a machine thats more than capable (runs at 60fps maxed out) but about 10-20 minutes into the game the frame rate takes a huge nose dive then the whole thing crashes with an error message saying video card ran out of memory.

My other machine with an nvidia card runs it without issue.

Riposte

haha, aw man. I need to unlock all the maps again for No Mercy.

Annoyed no one does No Mercy. Not that there seems to be a lot of people doing Mercs.

These textures :/.
Low
bh6_2013_03_25_18_33_foxq2.png

So bad.

Okey, I'm nitpicking but still.

Nillansan

As said above, the counter window is mostly very small right before you're hit.
With some enemies it's fairly telegraphed and easy (Bloodshots, 2x4 Zombies) while for others it can feel much more awkward (Lunging Dogs and Zombies). These Mercs videos usually highlight a fair amount of countering, so they're actually pretty helpful in noting at exactly which point of the enemy's animation you should shoot to hit.

Evasion is much easier by comparison. It's mostly staying aware of where everyone is, what everyone is, and reading the enemy patterns.
Dogs, for example, are pretty simple to keep at bay with a little herding and lateral movement. You will notice that once they start running they become pretty committed to where they were facing. A minor step out of way can have them ending their run close to you, but they then remain stationary for a few seconds opening up a second dodge or quickshot.

Dives have an invincibility window that can be exploited. Dive back to open up some distance, dive to the sides to open up an escape.
If you choose to stay on the ground and shoot, make it quick and remember you can still roll to the sides from that position.

All in all, nothing that won't become more natural the more you play.

Thanks Gyrian, this information is much appreciated.

I will have a chance to play it some more this weekend. I will make the jump to the online component once I get better.

haha, aw man. I need to unlock all the maps again for No Mercy.

Annoyed no one does No Mercy. Not that there seems to be a lot of people doing Mercs.
Oh, wow, really? I assumed it would reflect whatever you already unlocked in vanilla Mercs. I can dig it, though.

I imagine a lot of people aren't doing too much Mercs yet because they're doing campaign. I know I certainly am (and for the first time). I don't want to unlock more Merc stages and spoil locations.

Chairhome

I love No Mercy mode. So exciting. It just sucks when I hit all the time extends and my partner ends up dying after we've been playing for 5 min +. Might have to add some of you guys cause my one online partner hasn't been available lately.

Riposte

Hahaha, running into a hallway full of zombies with dynamite while doing Mining the Depths on No Mercy - priceless.

Gyrian

you can only take random RPGs that end your good run for so long.

No kidding! One of the first things you'll want to memorize and prepare for (e.g. two RPG guys in High Seas at 60-62 kills).
It seems to compound even worse in No Mercy, where I managed to kill some 4 of them on reaction only to get blown up by a 5th I'd missed entirely. :p

Best fix is our OT google docs player list, I've already added a bunch of people there.
Which reminds me, get in there as well, Riposte!

Hahaha, running into a hallway full of zombies with dynamite while doing Mining the Depths on No Mercy - priceless.

That chain reaction disaster you can start up as well as the ones with the Larva J'avo in other stages are some of the best gifts from No Mercy mode, haha.

No kidding! One of the first things you'll want to memorize and prepare for (e.g. two RPG guys in High Seas at 60-62 kills).
It seems to compound even worse in No Mercy, where I managed to kill some 4 of them on reaction only to get blown up by a 5th I'd missed entirely. :p
Yeah, for sure. It's kind of hard when you've only played the maps a couple of times (sometimes dying before you even see any RPG dudes) and are busy extending your combo in one area, get RPG'd, but don't actually see where it came from. All you hear is the sound of your heart shattering with the explosion. It's a miracle if you even get back up in Mercs (haven't bought the Revive skill).

:(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK question....

how do you make your weapon slot in the inventory move up and down to select things like flash bombs, etc? And there is a hot key to access those bombs instantly?

GJS

OK question....

how do you make your weapon slot in the inventory move up and down to select things like flash bombs, etc? And there is a hot key to access those bombs instantly?

F key or hold shift and scroll the mouse wheel.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
OK question....

mousewheel cycles weapons, shift+mousewheel cycles nades/first aid sprays.

EDIT: Beaten like a rented mule.

GSR

Sorry if this has already been asked, but can someone give me the chronological order in which to play through the campaigns? Thanks.

According to the OP,

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada Campaign

Ada's campaign actually takes place during the other campaigns, not after, but it's designed to be played after the other ones.

isamu

mousewheel cycles weapons, shift+mousewheel cycles nades/first aid sprays.

EDIT: Beaten like a rented mule.

thanks guys :)

OK....if I slide unintentionally across a table one more time...ARRGGH! Why did they bind the dash key with the action key? I just want to dash to something without sliding across some adjacent table or counter, screwing up my rhythm. Any way to remedy this?

Riposte

Huh... weird. So I had someone join a game with me and with their help I did the last of the three first maps and unlocked Rail Yard. Then we did Rail Yard. After that it wouldn't let me do the next map (can't recall it from memory). Thought that was weird, so I went and did the other two maps, but still it told me something along the lines of "someone doesn't have this map"... which seems impossible.

isamu

Hopefully Sectus makes a mod that can unbind some of those "two-in-one" key functions Capcom thought would be so convenient for the player when they're the complete opposite, like the stupid action/dash key.

jediyoshi

Hopefully Sectus makes a mod that can unbind some of those "two-in-one" key functions Capcom thought would be so convenient for the player when they're the complete opposite, like the stupid action/dash key.

They didn't go out of their way to make it like that for the PC. It's just rebinding how it already functions where they share the same button on a controller.

synce

Has anyone managed to get
that nude model of Ada
playable in the campaign? I know you can replace in-game models, but it's a cutscene model so would like confirmation before I start following these lengthy mod tutorials :)

Was playing in co-op earlier today on Jake 4 and got a bug with a door not opening for me only. It was after the first save, I believe, in a long street with
a ladder path for Jake to unbolt the door for Sherry who's left behind, and the reptilian things spawn during it
. It was weird because the door was opened for him, but still closed for me; he would clip through the door on my end, and I'd bump into nothingness in his. Pressing A would leave me stuck and unable to act for almost 5 seconds at times.

The fix was to just leave the game and let the AI go through the door and rejoin, but that ruined my score. Has this happened to anyone else in the same area (or elsewhere)?

Is it possible to change loadout on mercenaries?
That would defeat the purpose of each character having specific loadouts. The only way you can "change" a character's loadout is by unlocking their costumes, which will then give them a different one. As far as individually changing them: no.

isamu

How many playable characters in total are there in Mercs, not counting the L4D2 ones?

Riposte

My new hobby: Help someone playing the campaign until they reach a point where agent hunt players can join in. Then quit and play agent hunt searching for that stage.

Taruranto

Was playing in co-op earlier today on Jake 4 and got a bug with a door not opening for me only. It was after the first save, I believe, in a long street with
a ladder path for Jake to unbolt the door for Sherry who's left behind, and the reptilian things spawn during it
. It was weird because the door was opened for him, but still closed for me; he would clip through the door on my end, and I'd bump into nothingness in his. Pressing A would leave me stuck and unable to act for almost 5 seconds at times.

The fix was to just leave the game and let the AI go through the door and rejoin, but that ruined my score. Has this happened to anyone else in the same area (or elsewhere)?

Yep, happened to me too. (On both as Sherry and Jake)

Top Bottom