• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

jediyoshi

Patch seems to have fixed my crazy fps problems so far,
half my mercs matches still end up with this half the time though

n1hw6ud.jpg

Riposte

If you know all the game's asshole idiosyncrasies, then No Hope Left on a fresh run is pretty playable. Things like heavily armed J'avo, lunging zombies, etc become even more of a threat.

If you know all the game's asshole idiosyncrasies, then No Hope Left on a fresh run is pretty playable. Things like heavily armed J'avo, lunging zombies, etc become even more of a threat.

Yeah, it was pretty fun yet tense but starting chapter 2 of Chris's campaign with one Nato round as Piers led me to call it a night :D Feels like it'd be a lot easier with coop, parter ai seemed to be a lot more aggressive but often woulds stick to close to you to really help clear rooms. Really don't remember enemies throwing grenades though, really shocked me.

Did that new monster type that was supposed to follow you around Onimusha style throughout the campaigns end up being non-existant?

Mr_Zombie

I prefer Chris' opening chapters to Leon's by far. Leon's opening level is a wreck. Forcing slow walking when people aren't even talking to you, tripable corpses everywhere which is barely a thing the rest of the game, unskippable camera transitions after almost every action. Then that entire cemetery bit ;_;

Chris' clearing out the indoor market and most of edonia save for ogroman and the bridge felt much better

Basically this. Right now I've only played Leon's and Jake's first chapters and two Chris' chapters (I hope I'll have some time to play more this weekend) and out of those four chapters Chris' were the best. Leon's tried too much to be cinematic (random QTE bullshit, too many camera transitions, forcing you to walk slowly etc.) and Jake's was a bit chaotic and I think forced too many different boss battles (in a single chapter you have: Ustanak, Ogroman and Ustanak again). Chris' opening chapters maybe were mediocre, but for me, out of all opening chapters, they were the most balanced ones and simply fun.

Did that new monster type that was supposed to follow you around Onimusha style throughout the campaigns end up being non-existant?
You mean Ustanak? I think he's only in Jake's campaign.

]

You mean Ustanak? I think he's only in Jake's campaign.

No, and I know that given I spent around 40 hours with the PS3 version :D

In the orignal explanation of the No Hope mode I was almost sure there was mentioning of a new monster type that followed every character throughout the game and couldn't die, only be stunned. Sounded insane.

Riposte

No, and I know that given I spent around 40 hours with the PS3 version :D

In the orignal explanation of the No Hope mode I was almost sure there was mentioning of a new monster type that followed every character throughout the game and couldn't die, only be stunned. Sounded insane.

Either you bought a little too much into pre-game hype about Ustanak or might be thinking about a new enemy they revealed in the upcoming port of RE:R (who miay also end up being like Ustanak).

Leon's first chapter was appealing to me because I really liked the aesthetics of the campus, especially outside. I thought it looked really nice. The game in general has many odd choices in camera changes that aren't specific to any one campaign, so I can't fault just Leon's for that one. Only being able to walk in some parts was a pain, though, I agree.

Chris's chapter 1 has that terrible hostage mission, if I recall correctly. Fast enemies in small quarters with sharp turns is not very fun. It did have that great section on the rooftops where you and your partner are split up, then reconvene to fight on another rooftop to hold out.

Nice; I'm really liking what I'm reading. These definitely sound like things I'd enjoy participating in. That 4-player Team one for Mercs sounds cool. I do hope Capcom will weed out any obviously hacked scores for these things, though. It's bound to happen, right?

Mr_Zombie

Chris's chapter 1 has that terrible hostage mission, if I recall correctly. Fast enemies in small quarters with sharp turns is not very fun. It did have that great section on the rooftops where you and your partner are split up, then reconvene to fight on another rooftop to hold out.

Well, I agree with that. It's probably easier when you're playing in co-op, but when I was playing alone Piers was either constantly following me or did nothing so I had to chase the J'avo alone. BTW when I was rescuing the last hostage there was a sudden slow-motion time when J'avo holding him was preparing to shoot the hostage. What happens when you fail to kill the enemy before he kills the hostage? Game over?

Either you bought a little too much into pre-game hype about Ustanak or might be thinking about a new enemy they revealed in the upcoming port of RE:R (who miay also end up being like Ustanak).

No, speaking specifically about when No Hope Mode was first detailed. Ie, a week or so after the game came out. (Edit: The quote is just to reference the specific element that it ended up actually being, will find the orignal statement/rumor/whatever later today: edit end)

http://www.examiner.com/article/unlock-conditions-and-more-revealed-for-resident-evil-6-s-no-hope-difficulty-mod

"A special miniboss enemy encountered in the campaign now recovers from it's immobilized status very, very quickly after it's limbs are destroyed."

I'll find it later today, I'm really tired and going to bed, but when it was first talked about it was described (incorrectly obviously) as a new mini boss that chased you through the campaign and recovered without ever dying. Separate from Ustanak completely. As the official quote implies however, it ended up just being a minor boss adjustment.

BTW when I was rescuing the last hostage there was a sudden slow-motion time when J'avo holding him was preparing to shoot the hostage. What happens when you fail to kill the enemy before he kills the hostage? Game over?
The J'avo slits the hostages throat and game over. Always a machete wielder that grabs her for me at least.

jediyoshi

"A special miniboss enemy encountered in the campaign now recovers from it's immobilized status very, very quickly after it's limbs are destroyed."

Not sure how this would imply a new enemy, the wording implies it's a modification of an existing one, otherwise it wouldn't be said in the past tense.

Not sure how this would imply a new enemy, the wording implies it's a modification of an existing one, otherwise it wouldn't be said in the past tense.

Read the next paragraph after that :p It's hard to search for before the patch, because that was when all the news articles were published and as such it requires a more extensive search. Just posted that to show the basis of what I remembered, but prior to the actual release it was something else. As I said, will find it later today, but I just finished my work and I'm going to bed :D

Taruranto

Some random shots

I prefer Chris' opening chapters to Leon's by far. Leon's opening level is a wreck. Forcing slow walking when people aren't even talking to you, tripable corpses everywhere which is barely a thing the rest of the game, unskippable camera transitions after almost every action. Then that entire cemetery bit ;_;

Chris' clearing out the indoor market and most of edonia save for ogroman and the bridge felt much better

Leon's opening is kinda weak to re-play or co-op, but once you get into it, the first two chapters are the best part of the game, imo. Very good old-RE vibes.

I kinda wish they made the
Catacomb
in ch2 a different chapter, it makes the second chapter very tiresome, despite it being one of the most fun.

I hope RE.net sticks around for a long time and is utilized in future games. I have to say I'm really liking the site and what it offers the game as a complementary accessory. Is the REvelations one just as good? I'll be excited if it gets updated to support the HD versions when those are out.

Well, I agree with that. It's probably easier when you're playing in co-op, but when I was playing alone Piers was either constantly following me or did nothing so I had to chase the J'avo alone. BTW when I was rescuing the last hostage there was a sudden slow-motion time when J'avo holding him was preparing to shoot the hostage. What happens when you fail to kill the enemy before he kills the hostage? Game over?
I was almost as useful as your AI Piers in co-op. I just kept getting hit constantly as I lined up a shot because the place was crawling with enemies, and I was too stubborn to stop and get rid of them because I thought I could get the one with the hostage.

Most likely, but it's just a guess.

Fantasmo

Big fan of RE5 here, I will own this tonight!

Please PM me if you're looking for someone to play Mercs with along with your Steam name.

I'd say campaign also, but probably all of you have played it already and 1st run through I don't want to be spoiled, so only if you haven't played it yet. I want every moment, good and bad, to be a surprise.

Taruranto

God, Chris Chapter 3 was so awful. That fucking Boss Fight with the
Snake
and i did the
car sequence while browsing gaf
... yay for games that play themselves with no penalty for death?

when are chris and piers going to kiss

Been playing this , liking it a lot more than I expected. Leon's chapter was my starting point; it feels a lot more like an RE game, in terms of setting, than 5 did for me. Leon is just a better character. Some of the areas in his campaign are so fucking cool. What's the consensus on best campaign though? My only wish is that more work went into the textures, cause the lighting in this game is some of my favorite of recent games.

Taruranto

Leon>Jake>Chris

All the campaigns kinda go to shit when they go to China, but at least Leon had some cool places. (the
meat market
and the
plane
are very cool)

JudgeN

Is the combat gauge boost skill broken? I don't see any extra stamina bars and I feel like I can do the same number of melee attacks.

Jawmuncher

Leon>Jake>Chris

All the campaigns kinda go to shit when they go to China, but at least Leon had some cool places. (the
meat market
and the
plane
are very cool)

Personally I felt Leon's campaign didn't pick up until you went to china.
Really was not a fan of the town or crypt sections. Still at a loss why people love those areas so much.

Renesis

Whats up with the god awful shadows?

Weird part is that the shadows look good when cutscenes are playing but as soon as gameplay starts they look like shit.

akaoni

Banned
Leon>Jake>Chris

meat market
and the
plane
are very cool)

Atmosphere, and the sequences were you have to hold up at the
shop and in front of the cathedral
are pretty good.

You quite literally felt the exact same about the game as I did, Leon/Helena had the good tense coop moments like the old RE5 demo if you can remember.

Personally I felt Leon's campaign didn't pick up until you went to china.
Really was not a fan of the town or crypt sections. Still at a loss why people love those areas so much.

Aside from Simmons more or less nothing happens in the Leon/Helena campaign in China, you can probably count the number of enemies you come across the entire time. Run here, run there, nothing but padding shovelled in so the campaigns all cross over each other.

Did they ever release any information on the development process, because I would love to speculate on completely different teams either for each campaign or locale including that Leon/Helena was where RE5 people worked on. Or it was just quite simply too many cooks.

Man, I know I'm super late in bringing it up, but the Helena 2 and Piers 2 costumes are ugly as sin. And what's up with Helena looking like a doped-up hooker in her render for it? It's kind of amusing. Jake 2's ugly as well.

Is there anyone else in this thread that enjoys Onslaught as much as I do? If so, let's play. I can never find a session when I look, and having multiple people that like to play it in my list will make things easier.

Sectus, would it be possible to use Chris's outfit when he's in the bars in Mercs? AKA, have you tried doing it? It's pretty sweet.

GSR

Man, Chris chapter 3 is not the chapter to play as Chris if you don't have a mic and your partner does. No matter how you try to respond Chris just acts like a huge dick about it.

Thanks -> "What took you so long?"
Praise -> "I guess that was alright."

Damn, dude, lighten up.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, is it possible to rank a SS in Mercs? Or is S the highest it goes? What do you need to get a SS?

King Boo

Man, Chris chapter 3 is not the chapter to play as Chris if you don't have a mic and your partner does. No matter how you try to respond Chris just acts like a huge dick about it.

Thanks -> "What took you so long?"
Praise -> "I guess that was alright."

Damn, dude, lighten up.

he sounds like wesker in re5 merc mode

thanks "i suppose i should thank youl"
praise "you're getting better"
help "your assistance is required."

my memory is a little fuzzy though

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If it's like RE5, getting an A on the newest stage will unlock the next.

Up to Catacombs and I almost unlocked the next stage and was about get an S rank, then all of a sudden that slobby slimey fucker comes out of nowhere and grabs me! Arrrgh!!

One thing I hate about this one is how they changed the inventory. In previous RE's I'd reload and combine all my stuff via the "Japanese way", which is opening up the inventory screen and dragging one item over to the next. I don't like that I can't do it that way in RE6. Your forced to take the easy route and press one key and watch the slow animation as they reload. Boo!

Also I notice sometime I'll pick up more that one herb and they won't combine(no, not red and red, but red and green, green and green). Strange.

Can't wait til the game comes out in Japan, Asia and Europe, then we'll hopefully see some Mercs players online. Being released *ONLY* in the US at the moment doesn't help this issue at all! :(

Sectus

No Mercy on High Seas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5tJr3a0CI

Sectus, would it be possible to use Chris's outfit when he's in the bars in Mercs? AKA, have you tried doing it? It's pretty sweet.

Tried and didn't work unfortunately. There's a big obstacle right now regarding shaders which limits what models you can use in other stages.

Can't wait til the game comes out in Japan, Asia and Europe, then we'll hopefully see some Mercs players online. Being released *ONLY* in the US at the moment doesn't help this issue at all! :(

Are you talking about RE6 PC? Because it's been out world wide now. The world wide release date differed only with hours.

Mr_Zombie

Huh? As far as I know European RE6 PC release day was the same as in US. At least the game was unlocked on Steam in Europe on March 22nd.

isamu

Are you talking about RE6 PC? Because it's been out world wide now. The world wide release date differed only with hours.

Huh? As far as I know European RE6 PC release day was the same as in US. At least the game was unlocked on Steam in Europe on March 22nd.

Really? Why does it say TBA on Gamefaqs?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/605605-resident-evil-6/data

If it's really released in Europe already on Steam, then where the hell is everybody???? What about Japan? Is it out over there too?

Mr_Zombie

3 more chapters (Jake 2, Leon 2 and Leon 3) finished. Jake 2 is considered to be the worst one (or at least one of the lowest), right?

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the game. Jake 2 was so-so (the finding keys in the blizzard part was really tiresome, especially when you already kill all the enemies and are left with trying to find a proper path to keys in the blizzard... which took me a while >_>) but Leon 2 and 3 were great. I loved the atmosphere in the laboratory and catacombs.
Leon and Helena are fucking assholes, though. Survivors let them in to the cathedral saving their sorry ass and in return Leon and Heleona unleash Lepotitsa on them... Great work, guys.
I have to admit that right now I consider the game to have the best creature gallery out of all games in the series. And unless the game turns really craptastic in later chapters I still can't see why it was so shat on by reviewers. RE6 has its problems, especially with pacing, but it's nowhere neas as bad as reviews suggested back then. The root of the game, the combat, is really fun.

One thing I really don't like is how the game is structured, how obvious "current objectives" are and how the gameplay can switch from scene to scene. It was especially jarring in Leon 2 during
the fight with Deborah
: fight the boss, find your partner, fight the boss, ride a trolley while dodging obstacles, shoot barrels, fight the boss while in the trolley etc. - each section was short and you could easily tell when one section starts and when it ends. Jake 2 was also guilty of that, but at least each section was much longer: look for keys in a snow blizzard, defend the cabin, snowmobile ride, stealth section, QTE "boss fight". It doesn't flow as well as RE4, even though that game also had really varied gameplay. It doesn't help that there's a "current objective" visible in the top left corner of the screen (really game? do you really have to tell me that I should defend myself from that big monster that's attacking me right now?).

jediyoshi

Finally got an fc with a random online

sKpL127.jpg

Regular mercs is kicking my ass, barely getting Bs

If it's really released in Europe already on Steam, then where the hell is everybody???? What about Japan? Is it out over there too?

Worldwide release on the 21st. Isn't even currently in the top 100 of steam japan so it's probably not doing well there.

Archon473

Jake 2 was so-so (the finding keys in the blizzard part was really tiresome, especially when you already kill all the enemies and are left with trying to find a proper path to the keys

I'm digging this game's verisimilitude because I was scared silly in that chapter. I spent my time running from the enemies near the northern keys and hoping none more would show up. The score is excellent and waiting for enemies to appear is as frightening as wanting to run from them.

Taruranto

Leon and Helena are fucking assholes, though. Survivors let them in to the cathedral saving their sorry ass and in return Leon and Heleona unleash Lepotitsa on them... Great work, guys.

Leon is a walking disaster, a feel sorry for all the NPCs he gets killed during the game. And it's not like he gives too much of a fuck either. <_< He's just "lol whatever".

(really game? do you really have to tell me that I should defend myself from that big monster that's attacking me right now?).

Yeah, but at least it could be worse... i mean, the game doesn't stop you and tells you thing. RE6 "hand-holding" didn't bother me like too much honestly, unlike, dunno, Zelda.

Top Bottom