• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Neff

I just went through the demo several times, getting several different outcomes. As a slice of horror gaming in its own right, it's ok I guess. It's basically a shameless and aggressive attempt on Capcom's part to capitalise on P.T. dissolving, and its subsequent mourning fan-worship, since it follows P.T.'s gameplay, presentation and general design very closely, right down to the obscure, trial-and-error attempts to trigger advances while avoiding death. That said, I think P.T. did it better, because it felt fresher and stranger. And I'm also reminded -as I was at the time of playing P.T.- that while this sort of thing makes for an interesting demo, I really, really don't want a full game of the same. If RE7 does insist on adhering to P.T.'s gameplay throughout, then it's going to need some serious variety to sustain a full retail game. I will say that it's very pretty.

That said, as a hardcore RE fan of eras both old and new, judging it as a RE game, I absolutely hate it. Aside from one near-useless image of
an Umbrella helicopter
, there's nothing in here that I love about RE beyond a general unsavoury ambience, and there's a lot I love about RE.

I'll wait to see more of the full game, but based on my experience with the demo, holy shit this is a mighty fall from grace from for the series.

Akibared

9 hours until the download is finished... the nightmare has only begun.

That's true horror!
rD6xbAS.jpg

Not sure but
the lockpick comes back every time. Wondering if there is a way to transfer items to and from the tape.
Yea I wondered that too. Also there's the random headphones that are laying on the desk upstairs while in the tape. Surely that has to be something. I tried everything I could think of though.

DVCY201

I just went through the demo several times, getting several different outcomes. As a slice of horror gaming in its own right, it's ok I guess. It's basically a shameless and aggressive attempt on Capcom's part to capitalise on P.T. dissolving, and its subsequent mourning fan-worship, since it follows P.T.'s gameplay, presentation and general design very closely, right down to the obscure, trial-and-error attempts to trigger advances while avoiding death. That said, I think P.T. did it better, because it felt fresher and stranger. And I'm also reminded -as I was at the time of playing P.T.- that while this sort of thing makes for an interesting demo, I really, really don't want a full game of the same. If RE7 does insist on adhering to P.T.'s gameplay throughout, then it's going to need some serious variety to sustain a full retail game. I will say that it's very pretty.

That said, as a hardcore RE fan of eras both old and new, judging it as a RE game, I absolutely hate it. Aside from one near-useless image of
an Umbrella helicopter
, there's nothing in here that I love about RE beyond a general unsavoury ambience, and there's a lot I love about RE.

I'll wait to see more of the full game, but based on my experience with the demo, holy shit this is a mighty fall from grace from for the series.

:( will give it a try tomorrow at least, but this is disheartening. I wasn't a HUGE fan of PT, so I don't know if I'll like this

Kuraudo

Banned

Lucent

I really hope this demo is more of "here's what our engine can do" and "lol got ya" than a full representation on what to expect. Kinda find it hard to imagine RE without characters. And after Revelations 2 restored my faith in them, I hope that wasn't a fluke.

Only thing I can think of, is the game mechanic that the tape alters the future, eg- the lock pick opens the drawer for you, finding the secret entrance. So does the footage at the end hint at something to find during the playthrough? It looks like the kitchen, but it could be another location.

Bogeypop

Yea I wondered that too. Also there's the random headphones that are laying on the desk upstairs while in the tape. Surely that has to be something. I tried everything I could think of though.

Yeah I found the h
eadphone
s u
pstair
s in the v
ideo tap
e section suspicious, but didn't find any way to i
nterac
t with them.

I was just thinking if anyone's tried to use the
axe
on the d
ea
d c
ro
w in the m
icrowav
e.

ieatzombies

Go to the psn store click the res evil 7 deluxe tab and than scroll down until you see demo. you'll be able to click it where it will take you to the game page where you than click full trial. Done. Convoluted and they need to come up with a better search ui for this.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so do we get RE7 theme by downloading the demo or pre-ordering the full game?

List of preorders:

Regular edition ($69): https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...zard/cid=UP0102-CUSA03962_00-BH70000000000001
Deluxe Edition ($99): https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0102-CUSA03962_00-BH70000DELUXE001

Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:
- RESIDENT EVIL 7 THEME (PRE-ORDER ONLY)

Pre-order Resident Evil® 7 biohazard today to receive Survival Pack DLC and a special dynamic theme.

Play on 01-24-2017, Midnight Eastern Time.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE EXCEPT WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 BIOHAZARD, a thrillingly immersive horror experience, ushers in a new era of horror. The Deluxe Edition includes the main game as well as Additional Content 1 and 2 upon their release.

*Add-On Content 1: Four Short Side Stories
*Add-On Content 2: One Additional Story Episode

UGH, this is not RE7 i wanted. First person horror for VR? What the hell they was thinking, why they even need to call this RE7 if it looks like P.T. and not mainline RE games?

Ludens

Banned

70€ for this...it looks like a 20€ game.
I mean, from what I saw it's very similar to Outlast, and that is 20€.
It really seems just way too similar to an indie, to me. also Capcom going again with this exclusive pre-order garbage.

MilkBeard

On the US PSN store, it's title is Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

EDIT: Ah I see the question is about the Japanese name. They will just flip it around, lol

Top Bottom