• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

I would absolutely love the next game to be like this, but even more robust and fleshed out. I think it's fleshed out enough on its own but it's hard not to think about the original for example. I think RE7 was largely an experiment that turned out to be an awesome game, but it doesn't quite hit the level of intricacy found in the first few games. This is an area that can be improved upon. I'm just saying that personally by the time you're through with that stuff that I was happy to see the change-ups that happened.

I guess it shows how amazing RE8 will be. RE7 might still be my 3rd favorite RE game even despite it's flaws. So if this is considered an experiment of concept, fuuuuuuuuuck.

d00d3n

I need some clarifications about the enemies that you meet:

If you waste ammo to stun the "immortal" enemies, will they be taken out for that section of the game or will they hunt you again after a simple timer?

Will the non-immortal enemies respawn? On a timer? After progressing in the game?

I guess it shows how amazing RE8 will be. RE7 might still be my 3rd favorite RE game even despite it's flaws. So if this is considered an experiment of concept, fuuuuuuuuuck.

Tread lightly with that. This can still go the way of RE4 >>> RE5, it's Capcom after all. It may still hit disappointing sales for them or some such dilemma and RE8 turns into a full-on CoD style FPS.

I mean, I think it was an experiment on a few levels, from trying to return to the roots of survival horror to VR. It's just that it turned out to be a solid game too. I think they were trying to make a solid game that didn't feel like some cheap pass just because of experimentation, but it's still experimental. There's clearly areas that can be improved upon. I wouldn't put it above the first two games; it lacks the complexities of the original and RE2 is my favorite of the series period, but it's fighting with Nemesis for my third favorite.

Haven't finished it yet, have only been playing at night and not even every night as I'm trying to savor it. I think it's awesome, but it also feels like a foundation for something even better. As a game I don't feel like it was gimped to fit VR and the $60 I paid has felt justified. While I didn't ever resort to calling it a "clone" of other first-person horror titles, I was admittedly somewhat reserved about it being a VR showcase. Fortunately it put my rests to bed. But it could be better, as most things could.

0racle

Sorry to repost this but my play though is at a standstill until I figure out what to do.

Guys

I really need some advice here. I think I messed up my collectables run and dont know the best course of action.

I am in the house and just finished the dissection room.

I missed some items in the first area, the guest house. do I get a chance to go back and get them? is it worth while to continue with the antique coins/data pages if I cant go back and get them?

are those collectables counted on the current play through or across all saves? if so could I just go and make a save and run and get them and the trophies/unlockables will pop?

I think I have got all the MR everywhere so far so ill continue to get them. I just need clarification on the data pages and coins.

Thanks !

The coin I missed was the first video you watch with the camera man/two anchors doing the haunted house show. can i watch that again some how and get the coin in the kitchen of the guest house?

If you waste ammo to stun the "immortal" enemies, will they be taken out for that section of the game or will they hunt you again after a simple timer?

Will the non-immortal enemies respawn? On a timer? After progressing in the game?
Both! Molded don't respawn either.

Molded are permanently dead when they die. New ones will spawn at different points in the story.
Immortal enemies are down for what seems to be a random amount of time or til you go through a door and close it.

Tread lightly with that. This can still go the way of RE4 >>> RE5, it's Capcom after all. It may still hit disappointing sales for them or some such dilemma and RE8 turns into a full-on CoD style FPS.

I don't find that's very likely, cuz the thing about RE5 is that RE4 was so good and perfect that they just tried RE4 again but with co-op. Where as this game has definitive flaws that I can see being fixed in the next one, as well as adding more things to the table.

I mean, I think it was an experiment on a few levels, from trying to return to the roots of survival horror to VR. It's just that it turned out to be a solid game too. I think they were trying to make a solid game that didn't feel like some cheap pass just because of experimentation, but it's still experimental. There's clearly areas that can be improved upon. I wouldn't put it above the first two games; it lacks the complexities of the original and RE2 is my favorite of the series period, but it's fighting with Nemesis for my third favorite.

Haven't finished it yet, have only been playing at night and not even every night as I'm trying to savor it. I think it's awesome, but it also feels like a foundation for something even better. As a game I don't feel like it was gimped to fit VR and the $60 I paid has felt justified. While I didn't ever resort to calling it a "clone" of other first-person horror titles, I was admittedly somewhat reserved about it being a VR showcase. Fortunately it put my rests to bed. But it could be better, as most things could.

It was an experiment in the same way that RE4 was one, but RE4 succeeded much better in that experimentation than this game did with theirs imo

d00d3n

Both! Molded don't respawn either.

So stunned immortal characters will come back after some time has passed AND when progressing in the game? (making wasting ammo on them similar to the flamethrower stun in alien isolation) But molded can be killed off without respawning?

Edit:
Molded are permanently dead when they die. New ones will spawn at different points in the story.
Immortal enemies are down for what seems to be a random amount of time or til you go through a door and close it.

Thanks, clarified things!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just went NOPEEEEEE and shut the game off. I was strolling around when I entered this room with that fucking
black creature sprouting from the wall
. Blood pressure went up. Had to close it.

I don't find that's very likely, cuz the thing about RE5 is that RE4 was so good and perfect that they just tried RE4 again but with co-op. Where as this game has definitive flaws that I can see being fixed in the next one, as well as adding more things to the table.

Yeah for sure, was just being a smartass, I completely agree and that's what I'm hoping for after that being me a few hours into the game:

350bf621c95a3e066dbae9b21fe9b44a.jpg

I'm hesitant to get into this discussion because of my personal feelings regarding 4 and 5; I don't think they're very dissimilar if you ask me, and I think 5 does a few things better. I really don't think there's this massive gulf between 4 and 5. They're different, but I don't think 5 committed any "crimes" in comparison to 4. They're both extremely stupid and over the top action games. People act like 5 and 6 jumped the Great White, but I thought 4 jumped the Great White first in regards to the series as a whole. RE4 was an enabler for what happened with 5 and 6. They're all pretty fun games, but I absolutely group them into the same lobby in regards to gameplay and tone.

It's only logical for a sequel to take the concept of the predecessor further, so RE8 will likely be an expansion of 7. I hope you're right in that they don't literally turn it into a first person shooter, but if I'm being honest I found a section later in the game that is somewhat close to this being enjoyable enough. The key to this, however, is that it follows in the footsteps of the original games. A large chunk is atmospheric survival horror, with the last third changing up a bit and introducing more action. RE1 ends with an explosion countdown and a Tyrant fight on a helipad where you're tossed a rocket launcher. RE2 ends with a fast-paced action sequence on a subway.

This applies to RE7 as well, from what I'm seeing of it at the moment. I'm okay with the rising action because I felt like my desire for atmosphere and horror has already been met-- so sure, have fun, let loose a bit
. As long as RE8 sticks to this tradition where there's plenty of atmosphere and horror and exploration, I don't care if it expands upon the shooting; hell a level of criticism this game is getting is over the shooter gameplay and aiming so if the next game is tighter in that regard, I say cool.

I don't have a problem with say RE6 being an action game; it's fun. I have a problem with its damn near complete lack of atmosphere and horror elements, shitty level design, and ridiculous garbage like Yakuza zombies and zombie motorcycle chases and all that (which 5 did as well and 4 had no shortage of stupid shit either). Have more action, I'm okay with that, but don't lose sight of the things that defined the series in the first place. If you give me horror and enough to satiate, you can throw some good action in there too. I won't mind.

myco666

So circular saw is a god weapon? I can just hold L2 + R2 and everything will melt even on Madhouse?

So you are saying Capcom could go from fantastic to very fantastic with this new direction? Fine by me.

I will completely disagree about harder puzzles. If we're asking for it period and not as a option like in silent hill games. This is another case where the die hard community here isn't evident of the masses. My more casual friends are having some trouble with the puzzles, but still figuring them out. So right now I feel their at a good balance. Only thing I would say for certain is that they need more variety. The shadow stuff was way too frequent.
Again, I don't need to be stumped by every single puzzle, I just want to see more of an effort on the developer's part in making the puzzles more appealing. Stuff like
"Hey, just set the clock to the time of all other clocks"
and
rotate the paintings so they are right side up
were super lazy. All they really do is make you spend a little extra time to do something that isn't compelling in the slightest. Those ones in particular were so inconsequential that pretty much nothing would be lost if they weren't there. That's a problem. It defeats the purpose of having a puzzle if there's nothing being asked of you to solve it.

At the end of the day, the developers opted to put puzzles into the game and they are a part of RE7 that I feel could be done better. The
Happy Birthday segment and using the sprinklers to rinse the telescope
, it's not exactly rocket science but the solution wasn't spoon-fed to me either. It felt good to figure that out, and RE games could have a lot more moments like that. I just want to be given a little more credit as a player that I can solve something without the game spelling it all out for me.

Basically, if they are going to keep doing puzzles, I am going to keep wanting them to do a better job with their implementation.

I'm hesitant to get into this discussion because of my personal feelings regarding 4 and 5; I don't think they're very dissimilar if you ask me, and I think 5 does a few things better. I really don't think there's this massive gulf between 4 and 5. They're different, but I don't think 5 committed any "crimes" in comparison to 4. They're both extremely stupid and over the top action games. People act like 5 and 6 jumped the Great White, but I thought 4 jumped the Great White first in regards to the series as a whole. RE4 was an enabler for what happened with 5 and 6. They're all pretty fun games, but I absolutely group them into the same lobby in regards to gameplay and tone.

It's only logical for a sequel to take the concept of the predecessor further, so RE8 will likely be an expansion of 7. I hope you're right in that they don't literally turn it into a first person shooter, but if I'm being honest I found a section later in the game that is somewhat close to this being enjoyable enough. The key to this, however, is that it follows in the footsteps of the original games. A large chunk is atmospheric survival horror, with the last third changing up a bit and introducing more action. RE1 ends with an explosion countdown and a Tyrant fight on a helipad where you're tossed a rocket launcher. RE2 ends with a fast-paced action sequence on a subway.

This applies to RE7 as well, from what I'm seeing of it at the moment. I'm okay with the rising action because I felt like my desire for atmosphere and horror has already been met-- so sure, have fun, let loose a bit
. As long as RE8 sticks to this tradition where there's plenty of atmosphere and horror and exploration, I don't care if it expands upon the shooting; hell a level of criticism this game is getting is over the shooter gameplay and aiming so if the next game is tighter in that regard, I say cool.

I don't have a problem with say RE6 being an action game; it's fun. I have a problem with its damn near complete lack of atmosphere and horror elements, shitty level design, and ridiculous garbage like Yakuza zombies and zombie motorcycle chases and all that (which 5 did as well and 4 had no shortage of stupid shit either). Have more action, I'm okay with that, but don't lose sight of the things that defined the series in the first place. If you give me horror and enough to satiate, you can throw some good action in there too. I won't mind.

I never really gave it all much thought before I joined GAF to be quite honest. The reason why being that RE4 was just an incredibly good and tight game. What I really disliked about the transition from RE4 to RE5 was that ALL atmosphere and cool 'sets' went out the window. I mean sure, RE4 is basically a pure Action game as well but I thought the environments and general atmosphere at least still retained the kitschy Gothic Horror vibe which I'm totally into. RE5 just went full-on Broham and the forced co-op and shit didn't help matters for me when it came out.

I have to say I haven't revisited it since but I think the comparison of what I'd like to NOT see in RE8 still stands for me. I'm not saying don't improve the RE7 combat mechanics or aiming because yeah, I have some pretty big issues with that, but please don't go full-RE5 because something didn't go your way, Capcom, that's all I'm saying.

Manu

I finished the game earlier this morning. I'm still trying to process the ending (I've been reading some good stuff on the spoiler thread already) but I loved it. Favorite RE in a while.

Neff

Game needed a hard mode.

Yep, the limited saves hammered home a surprising amount of that old-school feeling. In fact I'd completely forgotten what it was like to weigh up the important decision to save, since I don't actually use them in classic RE these days at all.

Then again, I'm glad I didn't have to endure Madhouse's challenge level on a first play, I probably would have hated the game. And once you get good at normal mode, you end up with a comical amount of health/ammo.

A compromise between the two would have been a perfect first play for long-time RE fans.

Actually I think RE8 will allow them to really stretch their wings. The almost universally positive reception to the game puts Capcom in a very good place going forward. I was surprised by the level of its praise and I'm sure they were, too.

Nightmare and Ethan Must Die both sound extremely interesting to me. Sounds like something that will be right up my alley.

Edit: Saw that my question was covered by someone on the previous page.

Yep, the limited saves hammered home a surprising amount of that old-school feeling. In fact I'd completely forgotten what it was like to weigh up the important decision to save, since I don't actually use them in classic RE these days at all.

Then again, I'm glad I didn't have to endure Madhouse's challenge level on a first play, I probably would have hated the game. And once you get good at normal mode, you end up with a comical amount of health/ammo.

A compromise between the two would have been a perfect first play for long-time RE fans.
Yup, absolutely. I didn't hesitate in RE7 (Normal) to let myself die if I messed up in combat, but if I had an hour of progress possibly at stake? You bet things would be a lot more frantic!

I never really gave it all much thought before I joined GAF to be quite honest. The reason why being that RE4 was just an incredibly good and tight game. What I really disliked about the transition from RE4 to RE5 was that ALL atmosphere and cool 'sets' went out the window. I mean sure, RE4 is basically a pure Action game as well but I thought the environments and general atmosphere at least still retained the kitschy Gothic Horror vibe which I'm totally into. RE5 just went full-on Broham and the forced co-op and shit didn't help matters for me when it came out.

I didn't think RE5 was lacking, atmospherically. It was just different. I thought the sunny African locales and landscapes were quite good, the marshlands were pretty creepy IMO with a very desolate, cloudy atmosphere, and the underground portions with the crazy temples and structures were neat. RE4 has more of a horror atmosphere but only really in the first third with the village. The village at night, and the farm, was great. The rest didn't do a whole lot for me.

But I get your sentiments about RE8. They should expand on this formula, make the game more robust, give the environments even more labyrinthine aspects and gut without once again betraying some of the core tropes of the series.

dlauv

RE5 lacked atmospherically mainly due to the encounter design and combat and item distribution and even cutscene frequency. The art direction was great. Remember the prologue walk-and-talk before the butcher shop? They could have built on that, but the tone shifted pretty quickly.

Manu

Oh, and the metal/djenty song that plays over the credits at one point was fucking dope. Is the OST available anywhere?

RE5 lacked atmospherically mainly due to the encounter design and combat and item distribution. The art direction was great. Remember the prologue walk-and-talk before the butcher shop? They could have built on that.

For me I guess I can separate game design with atmosphere. I don't feel like I have to be in a world of tension to feel like there's atmosphere there. The walk and talk established the setting and was pretty cool, but I didn't think it needed to be more than that and on replays, especially, it's a bit of a drag-- but only a bit, as it's very brief. So that's good.

I definitely enjoyed the locales in the game though. There was some real unique stuff for an RE game in there. I think the marshlands were a highlight for me, thought that stuff with the tribal zombies was very moody. The best parts of RE4, atmospherically, were the village, farm, and the brief part of the castle when you're playing as Ashley. The rest of it was so give or take for me.

rtcn63

RE5 lacked atmospherically mainly due to the encounter design and combat and item distribution. The art direction was great. Remember the prologue walk-and-talk before the butcher shop? They could have built on that.

RE5 really should've told you at the start that you can farm items. Dead Space 3 too. Tedious, but helps significantly in single-player since you're arming up two people at once and the general action focus. Although to be fair, in RE5's case it straight up breaks the game's difficulty. EVERYONE HAS MAGNUMS NOW.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It seems like the same to me. Did you use a stabalizer in your last playthrough?
I just realised why. I'm only right at the start and the reason is because in this part
you only hqve one arm to reload with
So that's why it's slower here. Also lol at mw dying on this part of the game. God help me for the rest.

myco666

So what are the worthwhile things to get with coins in Madhouse? Debating if I should get the key or not also lol at
grenade launcher being in the trailer.

rtcn63

So what are the worthwhile things to get with coins in Madhouse? Debating if I should get the key or not also lol at
grenade launcher being in the trailer.

Everything but the magnum. You really don't need it, the grenade launcher works well enough as a substitute. Remember that neuro rounds stun enemies grouped together for a time...

You only need the scorpion key if you want early (and easy) access to the second save room and the broken shotgun. The toy shotgun can be found after the dissection room, letting you get the normal one from the statue. Considering how scarce shotgun ammo is, I'd probably get the key for the broken shotgun's extra firepower.

myco666

Everything but the magnum. You really don't need it, the grenade launcher works well enough as a substitute. Remember that neuro rounds stun enemies grouped together for a time...

You only need the scorpion key if you want early (and easy) access to the second save room and the broken shotgun. The toy shotgun can be found after the dissection room, letting you get the normal one from the statue to repair later. Considering how scarce shotgun ammo is, I'd probably get the key for the broken shotgun's extra firepower.

Thanks. Got the key since I really want the
Double Barrel shotgun.
One more question. Is the
Iron Defense Coin worth it if I have Defensive Coin from preodering this game?

hughesta

Banned
Madhouse done! 6:59, whew. Still missing one bobblehead and it is infuriating. Even went through with the
x-ray goggles
and didn't find it.

Two more playthroughs to go for the platinum, and I have no problem doing em. This game is a joy.

Unai

I finished the game in normal and I was thinking in going through madhouse to get infinity ammo before trying a speedrun/all items, but the secret of defense combined with the essence of defense sounds incredibly good for a madhouse run. Easy mode it's, I guess.

hughesta

Banned
I finished the game in normal and I was thinking in going through madhouse to get infinity ammo before trying a speedrun/all items, but the secret of defense combined with the essence of defense sounds incredibly good for a madhouse run. Easy mode it's, I guess.
The glasses will also help immensely on madhouse - soooo many devilishly hidden items.

Just passed the encounter
with Jack in the bathroom
and I needed to switch off VR and go on normally for a while. My eyes are burning out of my skull.

I'm only about an hour in I'd say but I'm so incredibly happy with how this has turned out. Capcom finally got their groove back.

The Goat

Ok, gaf, you got me. I'm going all in on this one. Bestbuy had PSVR in stock, so I'm going for it. It arrives tomorrow. I am incredibly susceptible to motion sickness, so I'm worried that even with all the comfort settings, the games still going to make me puke. Hoping that is not the case, because I'm stoked as shit to play it in VR.

In gaf I trust.

Metroid

Okay, I started it tonight and I got hit by the infamous crash happening only to phenom CPUs. It crashes right at the start after you get to the basement filled with water. Since I don't want to wait for a patch I wanted to ask if someone could upload a save file right after that passage? Apparently it works without a problem after that, can't seem to find one though. Help would be much appreciated!!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ok, gaf, you got me. I'm going all in on this one. Bestbuy had PSVR in stock, so I'm going for it. It arrives tomorrow. I am incredibly susceptible to motion sickness, so I'm worried that even with all the comfort settings, the games still going to make me puke. Hoping that is not the case, because I'm stoked as shit to play it in VR.

In gaf I trust.

Great decision. Dont rush it, take it slow (and I mean SLOW), push the sticks only a bit to move slowly forward and dont be ashamed to switch to non-vr mode for boss fights.

If moving slow is still too much, move RE7 to the backburner for about 1-2 weeks, and play some other VR games every day, which helps a lot with getting used to VR.

Have fun!

kromeo

Ending credits are really well done, one of the few games I actually sat through them., the first part at least, not the long list of names after

Magnus

Anyone else see the occasional hilariously bad texture pop-in on a PS4 Pro? Like, I'll be standing staring at something (wall, object, etc) point blank for a couple of seconds before the higher res texture pops in. Happened with the foliage/plants right at the beginning too.

Anyway, loving the game so far. Unsure how far in I am and don't want to know. I fear that I'm actually close to the end even though I'm just like 7 hours in. Been hearing it's a shorter game. =/

Also, are the three DLCs described above (with #1 hitting tomorrow) free, or are they the season pass?

I really liked the mechanic of
Jack chasing you around the house
, it reminded me a lot of Ooze Rachael from Revelations. Same with the
cruise ship
section.

GSR

Sorry to repost this but my play though is at a standstill until I figure out what to do.

Guys

I really need some advice here. I think I messed up my collectables run and dont know the best course of action.

I am in the house and just finished the dissection room.

I missed some items in the first area, the guest house. do I get a chance to go back and get them? is it worth while to continue with the antique coins/data pages if I cant go back and get them?

are those collectables counted on the current play through or across all saves? if so could I just go and make a save and run and get them and the trophies/unlockables will pop?

I think I have got all the MR everywhere so far so ill continue to get them. I just need clarification on the data pages and coins.

Thanks !

The coin I missed was the first video you watch with the camera man/two anchors doing the haunted house show. can i watch that again some how and get the coin in the kitchen of the guest house?

Unfortunately if you miss that coin it is gone forever. Same thing happened to me.

Ricker

Anyone else see the occasional hilariously bad texture pop-in on a PS4 Pro? Like, I'll be standing staring at something (wall, object, etc) point blank for a couple of seconds before the higher res texture pops in. Happened with the foliage/plants right at the beginning too.

Anyway, loving the game so far. Unsure how far in I am and don't want to know. I fear that I'm actually close to the end even though I'm just like 7 hours in. Been hearing it's a shorter game. =/

Also, are the three DLCs described above (with #1 hitting tomorrow) free, or are they the season pass?

Yes about the texture pop-in but I only really noticed it in the Old House section...DLC are Season Pass...I am waiting to see how they are to pick up...Season Pass is 40 bucks CAD.

Top Bottom