• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Peterthumpa

So, I just finished the demo. Really want to try the full game but I'm afraid of jump scares. Is the game more like building tension and "more or less" predictable tense moments or just jump scares all the time?

So, I just finished the demo. Really want to try the full game but I'm afraid of jump scares. Is the game more like building tension and "more or less" predictable tense moments or just jump scares all the time?

More tension than anything. A few are obviously placed/done in a way to get more scared moments out of the VR people but all around they are pretty good. Like other RE games a few are made to make you jump obviously but not many, the others, if you jump you probably freaked yourself out in that situation more than anything.

Just finished it. I don't really like horror games, I've never played a Resident Evil game before. Beat it in three sittings, it's great! I played on easy and am not ashamed to say I had the volume pretty low for most of it but I wouldn't have gotten far if I'd played with headphones. It's genuinely horrifying and full of great dread. It's crazy just how many different horror tropes and moments it takes from movies and games but how nicely the whole comes together. I could probably name half a dozen movies and half a dozen games that it is taking directly from but it never really feels disjointed. Very impressed.

The last 25% felt pretty different from the rest of the game but was still super enjoyable. Story wasn't anything incredible or super surprising but it's effective, has some good moments, and kept me interested to the end.

Bring on the DLC and damn good job on Capcom, I am truly amazed at how out of nowhere great this was (for me, I wasn't paying any attention to it).

poutmeter

Played last night up until I did a run of the third video tape, and
it was so disturbing that I had to quit soon afterwards. It's done a great job of showing how unhinged and deranged Lucas is that I was genuinely anxious going through his part of the house.

When I played the tape again for the achievement, I ended the play right after I got it; couldn't go through that burning scene again.

Jombie

Played last night up until I did a run of the third video tape, and
it was so disturbing that I had to quit soon afterwards. It's done a great job of showing how unhinged and deranged Lucas is that I was genuinely anxious going through his part of the house.

When I played the tape again for the achievement, I ended the play right after I got it; couldn't go through that burning scene again.

There's an organic quality to the game that really makes it work. The mansion gives me deja vu because I feel like I've been in a house like it before.

myco666

I mean you go from
Ethan in awesome scary atmospheric situations to my girl Mia with a machine gun on a huge fully realized ship and the plot shoots up to 11 in a big new awesome and atmospheric situation
I have no fuckin idea how this is not awesome

Well the first problem is that
you play as Mia
. Second is
that all your hoarding doesn't help at that section.

Time to start the madhouse run...

Have fun. I hope you have circular saw.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So I absolutely hate horror games and don't sleep well after I play them. Last week a bunch of my friends and podcast listeners donated $50 dollars to get me a copy of Resident Evil VII and on the condition that I livestream the full game in VR by March 3rd. At the same time, what I hate more is bigotry and persecution.

With that said, I'm turning the $50 around and matching it and donating another $50 to the ACLU - along with becoming a monthly donor. I will be live streaming Resident Evil to fight real evil and will be calling for donations throughout my playthrough.

I just did day one this evening and was pretty damn scared. Game plays great in VR though! Check out day one here - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118628777

hughesta

Banned
Then I concur that this is bullshit. One week from release. That is literally content being held back from the main game just so they can get more money off you. If DLC is ready that quick, then it should be included as a part of the base game.
The game went gold in September. The DLC was completed very recently.

The ''story'' part of the DLC is fun but SUPER short as expected. I don't think 10€/$ is great value for this package. That said I don't particularly enjoy Ethan Must Die.

How it works?.

You die super fast and basically you just trial and error it. There are boxes with randomized loot and when you die you can get something back Dark Souls style if you get to the point where you last died. It's just not something I want from a Resident Evil game at all. The horde mode/Nightmare tape is actually much more fun. You manage resources and upgrade your guns and stats and try to survive waves of enemies. You can activate traps and turrets.

Roussow

The dlc is pretty interesting, it's more of a mechanical exploration rather than some more story content, although I'm quite happy with how it's been contextualised narratively, albeit a thin veil. It's nice that the game now has a equivalent of Mercs now. Although don't expect anything in the way of the assets, at least in terms of brand new areas or enemies.

I only got up to around the Workshop in Ethan Must Die, it's interesting to have Binding of Isacc style item drops in RE, although there's far fewer procedural elements in this mode than other Rogue Likes, enemy placement seems consistent and easy to memorise.

CryptiK

Amazing game. Only things that could have made it better was the molded being regular zombies and
the final boss not being shit

It was definitely a weird decision by Capcom to have paid DLC a week after release.

Why not make the first DLC free and put the free DLC coming in May in the season pass instead?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It was definitely a weird decision by Capcom to have paid DLC a week after release.

Why not make the first DLC free and put the free DLC coming in May in the season pass instead?

My guess is that it's because this DLC is more 'bonus' stuff and the upcoming DLC that will be free for everyone is more story-focused and seems it'll expand on the ending, but I will say a bit odd. Guess they just decided it because of that though.

I've never done this with Survival Horror games before, but I could definitely see myself replaying this for a speedrun or optimizing items and such. It just feels really good.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question regarding some Trophies/Achievements:

I'm planning on doing a no-healing-items/3-or-less-item-boxes speedrun on Easy, to get all three Achievements at once. I know it's not as hard as it may sound, but I'm wondering when's the best time to open the item box, apart from the two times you're forced by the game to do it (when going through the Birthday puzzle). I was thinking about getting the Albert right at the start, so I have better offensive capabilities, and the Art and Essence of defense items, to mitigate damage taken. Any recommendations?

myco666

I did good against
Mia
in Madhouse mode. Took 12 tries though lol.

I'm planning on doing a no-healing-items/3-or-less-item-boxes speedrun on Easy, to get all three Achievements at once. I know it's not as hard as it may sound, but I'm wondering when's the best time to open the item box, apart from the two times you're forced by the game to do it (when going through the Birthday puzzle). I was thinking about getting the Albert right at the start, so I have better offensive capabilities, and the Art and Essence of defense items, to mitigate damage taken. Any recommendations?

Do the last use after
boat
. You really don't need the unlocks on easy.

hank_tree

If they really made this DLC in a week after the game was "done", and in good faith, I think it would be better to wait at least a month. I mean, what's the rush? Your customers should be busy with the main game at this point.

It stops people trading in the game.

Brhoom

Banned

Don't forget that you need
to open the box to retrive your items after Mia. You can skip it and just run through the mines, there are two bombs there to stall the fat molded at the end.

You can then die to the final boss and use "manage items" this will not count as an item box opening

FLD

Started my madhouse run tonight. Holy shit, it's like a different game! I'm way more nervous in the main house than I was even on my first playthrough, what the fuck hahaha. So far, a few things have really thrown me off.
I freaked out a little bit when Jack didn't come crashing through the wall when I went for the hatch key. That's when I first realized all bets were off.

Then I got to the main hall and instantly went wtf when I saw the scorpion key sitting right there in a coin cage. Already had enough, so I grabbed it and Jack showed up immediately. He was a mild annoyance before but now that fucker is a legitimate threat.
I didn't find the game scary at all on normal but I was nervous as hell the entire time here. This should be an interesting run.

cvxfreak

Don't forget that you need
to open the box to retrive your items after Mia. You can skip it and just run through the mines, there are two bombs there to stall the fat molded at the end.

You can then die to the final boss and use "manage items" this will not count as an item box opening

You can
use Manage Items with Jack's final fight as well.

myco666

Started my madhouse run tonight. Holy shit, it's like a different game! I'm way more nervous in the main house than I was even on my first playthrough, what the fuck hahaha. So far, a few things have really thrown me off.
I freaked out a little bit when Jack didn't come crashing through the wall when I went for the hatch key. That's when I first realized all bets were off.

Then I got to the main hall and instantly went wtf when I saw the scorpion key sitting right there in a coin cage. Already had enough, so I grabbed it and Jack showed up immediately. He was a mild annoyance before but now that fucker is a legitimate threat.
I didn't find the game scary at all on normal but I was nervous as hell the entire time here. This should be an interesting run.

Yeah Madhouse is great and way more terrifying compared to normal. If you have circular saw Jack will become a joke though.

Really wish there was a hard mode in this game.

Piichan

Banned

Not that many jump scares. Most of the jump scares are caused by yourself really lol. Things like kicking over cans and stuff.

FLD

Yeah Madhouse is great and way more terrifying compared to normal. If you have circular saw Jack will become a joke though.

Really wish there was a hard mode in this game.

I do have it, gonna have to try it out tomorrow. I wasted a lot of ammo in
the garage
, so I was worried it might be better to restart. If I can avoid that by abusing the saw then I'm all for it lol.

And yeah, something like normal but with cassettes for saving and no checkpoints at all would've been perfect.

You die super fast and basically you just trial and error it. There are boxes with randomized loot and when you die you can get something back Dark Souls style if you get to the point where you last died. It's just not something I want from a Resident Evil game at all. The horde mode/Nightmare tape is actually much more fun. You manage resources and upgrade your guns and stats and try to survive waves of enemies. You can activate traps and turrets.

Thanks for the info, 10€ is a little high for me.

Roussow

Alright! Took me 3 or 4 goes, but I got through the Nightmare, unlocked the Magnum 2 or 3 deaths in, that helped with the boss & fat molded. It's a fun little mode, although I do wish you play this horde mode on different maps.

Bedroom was more enjoyable than I thought it would be, it's essentially one big puzzle in one room -- it's right up there with the Happy Birthday puzzle in the core game. I hope that the next game goes in hard with stuff like this!

About 6 hours in and I'm not sure whether I've actually enjoyed it.

- Some sections were super frustrating (Boiler Room without the shotgun)
- The boss battles are more a visceral chore than anything else, once you learn the 'method' it's a matter of careful patience
- Inventory management is a pain (having to discard herbs/ammunition), even with the upgraded slots
- Textures are quite blurry, some really low quality

The map design/layout is fantastic, the lighting/atmosphere are top notch and the characters are memorable but it's not everything I thought it would be.

Will finish it, but have no desire to replay it.

myco666

I do have it, gonna have to try it out tomorrow. I wasted a lot of ammo in
the garage
, so I was worried it might be better to restart. If I can avoid that by abusing the saw then I'm all for it lol.

And yeah, something like normal but with cassettes for saving and no checkpoints at all would've been perfect.

The garage fight went so that I rushed to get the keys and start the car and once Jack threw me out I just hold the circular saw on him and he died. Once he stalks you the saw will stunlock and kill him in seconds.
It is so OP.

About 6 hours in and I'm not sure whether I've actually enjoyed it.

- Some sections were super frustrating (Boiler Room without the shotgun)
- The boss battles are more a visceral chore than anything else, once you learn the 'method' it's a matter of careful patience
- Inventory management is a pain (having to discard herbs/ammunition), even with the upgraded slots
- Textures are quite blurry, some really low quality

The map design/layout is fantastic, the lighting/atmosphere are top notch and the characters are memorable but it's not everything I thought it would be.

Will finish it, but have no desire to replay it.
Why you don't just go throw extra stuff in item box and then go back to pick up what you couldn't carry before?

Top Bottom