• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Tried Ethan Must Die, not for me. It's basically trial and error hell with RNG thrown into it. At least that's my impression from what little I did play.

Just tried the game in VR for the first time (played the first few hours without) and it game me some serious motion sickness. I'd heard that it was one of the games that's pretty bad for that, but I'd personally never really felt any kind of motion sickness from VR before so I guess I thought I wouldn't get it, but man it sucks. Tried messing with the settings but I couldn't seem to find one that didn't result in any kind of motion sickness. Gonna try again tmrw and the day after if needed to see if maybe I just need to get used to it, and hopefully I will.

Manu

I mean you go from
Ethan in awesome scary atmospheric situations to my girl Mia with a machine gun on a huge fully realized ship and the plot shoots up to 11 in a big new awesome and atmospheric situation
I have no fuckin idea how this is not awesome

Preach.

xviper

Are there any story spoilers in it? My girlfriend and I are playing it together every couple of nights but I'm hungry to play more on my own and something that is pure gameplay will be bought by me.

the Bed Room part has nothing to do with the base game

same thing for the Nightmare part

but the Ethan must die part, the main goal of it is a part of the main game so it may be a spoiler, i wouldn't recommend playing that until you finish the game

question
1. what is the deal with the coin for protection? do you carry with you, does it give you anthe abilities?

2. what about the antique coins? what is the purpose?

3. that drug that enhances your senses to find more items, how does that work? items can only be seen if you take that, or the advantage is that you will find items further away? any combat advantages ?

after I kill the Baker with chainsaw, do I leAve the house? getting tired of fucking molder

question
1. what is the deal with the coin for protection? do you carry with you, does it give you anthe abilities?

2. what about the antique coins? what is the purpose?

3. that drug that enhances your senses to find more items, how does that work? items can only be seen if you take that, or the advantage is that you will find items further away? any combat advantages ?

after I kill the Baker with chainsaw, do I leAve the house? getting tired of fucking molder
1. You have to keep it in your inventory
2. Just leave the house
3. It puts markers on items in the room for a few minutes, no combat advantages
4. Just leave, but you're in for a rough time lol

Loved the old house. Scary as hell but the
damn bugs
sucked.

Like if I dock points for anything so far it'd be the
damn bugs
It's less scary on replays too so you're just left with memories and the thing you spoilered. It's the simplest main area and basically relies on those scares. Again one of the best the first time around, not so good after.

the Bed Room part has nothing to do with the base game

same thing for the Nightmare part

but the Ethan must die part, the main goal of it is a part of the main game so it may be a spoiler, i wouldn't recommend playing that until you finish the game
Is it just weapons and enemies that will be spoiled? I'm up to that basement part after the molded were introduced.

1. You have to keep it in your inventory
2. Just leave the house
3. It puts markers on items in the room for a few minutes, no combat advantages
4. Just leave, but you're in for a rough time lol

It's less scary on replays too so you're just left with memories and the thing you spoilered. It's the simplest main area and basically relies on those scares. Again one of the best the first time around, not so good after.

so the coin does work? I would take less damage?

rtcn63

I mean you go from
Ethan in awesome scary atmospheric situations to my girl Mia with a machine gun on a huge fully realized ship and the plot shoots up to 11 in a big new awesome and atmospheric situation
I have no fuckin idea how this is not awesome

Lack of enemy variety and feelings of deja vu because of Revelations 1. It's not a bad section, just tedious. Like the on-rails driving chapter in RE5 (completed it again a few weeks ago, the Gigante fight is pretty easy). If the ship had a new set of enemies or even a new stalker-ish enemy, it would be looked back on more positively. And let's be honest, ships in general aren't that interesting. I think the reason they didn't do another mansion-type for the second half is because it was already done in Revelations 2. Recently.

I really enjoyed the
Evie hallucination
sequences too. Cliché? Sure. But great nonetheless.

The whole series is literally built on tropes. The original is a George Romero love letter. Horror frequently draws from other works of horror. People complain about originality because pretty much everything has been done. Solid horror is about the execution and how the tropes work in their own context. The element you've mentioned is absolutely a trope but where I've not finished the game yet it's hard to comment further, but right now I'm not at all bothered by it.

xviper

Is it just weapons and enemies that will be spoiled? I'm up to that basement part after the molded were introduced.

not just weapons and enemies, also bosses and areas

besides, you're still early in the game, i wouldn't recommend playing Ethan must die until you finish it

it's hard AF anyway, i stopped trying, couldn't finish it

Lack of enemy variety and feelings of deja vu because of Revelations 1. It's not a bad section, just tedious. Like the on-rails driving chapter in RE5 (completed it again a few weeks ago, the Gigante fight is pretty easy). If the ship had a new set of enemies or even a new stalker-ish enemy, it would be looked back on more positively. And let's be honest, ships in general aren't that interesting. I think the reason they didn't do another mansion-type for the second half is because it was already done in Revelations 2. Recently.

I get that, but I think it's all been handled very well. I get the enemy variety complaint, but for me it's not really a problem due to the execution of the area and the fact that I'm plenty unnerved by the enemy types even if they've not been changed up. I like the theme of the enemies and the way they work them into the environment and general tension is fantastic. A lot of it is the sound work.

not just weapons and enemies, also bosses and areas

besides, you're still early in the game, i wouldn't recommend playing Ethan must die until you finish it

it's hard AF anyway, i stopped trying, couldn't finish it
Man I can't wait to finish it, thank you for the details.

A bit OT but do we know if Conan is gonna do a Clueless Gamer review of the game?

He did one for RE6 so I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't do one for 7.

Ricker

Bring the machine/shotgun, some health, and just run past everything. Hell bring the remote bombs too, they're fun. The neuro rounds do help in one specific encounter, but the last stretch gives you an item box before the grand finale so if you need to...

Thanks for the tips...

Just finished the game on normal,loved it.

fritzo

Bout to do my 1st 4 hr attempt on Easy. Need some tips? Running Shoes, should I use em? Defense items? Best weapon? etc. Thanx!

Lucent

Just tried the game in VR for the first time (played the first few hours without) and it game me some serious motion sickness. I'd heard that it was one of the games that's pretty bad for that, but I'd personally never really felt any kind of motion sickness from VR before so I guess I thought I wouldn't get it, but man it sucks. Tried messing with the settings but I couldn't seem to find one that didn't result in any kind of motion sickness. Gonna try again tmrw and the day after if needed to see if maybe I just need to get used to it, and hopefully I will.

Yeah you probably just need more consistent exposure. I was able to play the whole game 4 hours at a time in vr.

Zuzzissm0

Bout to do my 1st 4 hr attempt on Easy. Need some tips? Running Shoes, should I use em? Defense items? Best weapon? etc. Thanx!
if you know what do to you need nothing of them and should beat the game arround 3:30 by normal playing it. try to enter the ship arround 2 to 2:15 hrs. no need for rushing. the running shoes are walking shoes their are do nothing to running.

just keep the gun or the albert and always build special ammo and youse the double barrle shotgun

Zuzzissm0

did you build all things? normal ammo, sepcial ammo. normal and strong first aid, fire and neuro rounds, burn fuel, psychos. you can check it in the combine tab in your inventory. if some i smissing you didnt build it yet

Jawmuncher

The game definitely felt incomplete to me. I know one of these DLCs were meant to be a bonus mode. My gut tells me so.

I don't really care though. Still bought the season pass.

Spoo

Got a 1 hour and 52 min speedrun time on NG+. Not great, but not horrible either.

Also, how are people playing the DLC already? I don't see it available yet -- not up in US?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
From what I know, the DLC was only finished recently. RE7 went gold last September for the PS4 version and the other versions in November/December. Full focus on the DLC started after the game went gold, Banned Footage Volume 1 went gold about a month ago, and Banned Footage Volume 2 is just about to go gold but isn't quite yet.

The other DLC stuff (DLC 3 & Not A Hero) aren't finished yet but being worked on right now.

Obviously the answer here is business, but Capcom kind of works where they let a game become gold months before release and then work on the DLC chapters. They did the same thing for example with Revelations 2 two bonus episodes.

I personally don't mind as I quite liked the main game and look forward to the DLC, but I do expect we'll see more of this (and already have), and not just from Capcom. Plan the scope of the game and then focus on DLC stuff to be sold separately. But Capcom have been transparent with their DLC plan since the day they revealed the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ship section
might be my favorite part so far,
playing as Mia with a machine gun is just the right Cameron-ish
vibes for me.

Liked that part for all the same reasons.

"Oh cool I'm playing as Mia, let's see what's in her inventory. She might not have much in the way of weapons."

SMG, remote bombs, and a giant ass survival knife.

MrBS

Game over. Fantastic game. Even right near the end the game still managed to unnerve me from time to time thanks to that VR. My niggles would be that the most tense and hardest part of the game is the first hour. It becomes far more easier to handle once your familiar Resident Evil tools come into play after that. Still a great experience from beginning to end. I would have liked to use my toys a bit more towards the end of the game. Ended up saving all the good ammo then never using it. Bah!

Zuzzissm0

Do you guys think a separate topic should be made for the Banned Footage Volume 1 & 2 stuff?
nope. we need our conspiracy here^^.

for the dlc - it doesnt feel that vol. 1 was cut and had any place in the main game. it would make no sense to know more about clancy. as bonus modes from the start yes but they definitly not complete this game yet. bedroom feels more like capcom had more ideas for cool puzzles but dont know how to implement them in the game. vol 2 could be more of a gap filler with zoe

Top Bottom