• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Planet

- Some sections were super frustrating (Boiler Room without the shotgun)
Then... why didn't you
just fetch it before you went there? To me, the fact that I suddenly faced 3 of those screamed "you need the shotgun to pass", especially since it was rather openly presented to you.
- The boss battles are more a visceral chore than anything else, once you learn the 'method' it's a matter of careful patience
Yes, exactly like most any game with boss battles...?
- Inventory management is a pain (having to discard herbs/ammunition), even with the upgraded slots
Kind of a trademark of classic Resident Evil, I welcomed it. But... you do know there are those large green boxes in the safe rooms, don't you? Never discarded anything...

Ridygo

About 6 hours in and I'm not sure whether I've actually enjoyed it.

- Some sections were super frustrating (Boiler Room without the shotgun)
- The boss battles are more a visceral chore than anything else, once you learn the 'method' it's a matter of careful patience
- Inventory management is a pain (having to discard herbs/ammunition), even with the upgraded slots

I think you are not a Resident Evil player.

Nightmare DLC is the worst crap I've ever played. Never going to touch it again.
Let's see what the other modes are.

Edit: Ethen must die is even worse

I seriously can't believe how bad this DLC is. No fun allowed I guess.
I will play "bedroom" in the evening. I'm so disappointed I don't want to play anymore.

I am really loving the game so far. I have just
collected the red and blue keycards
, does anyone know how much I roughly have left? as I don't want to rush through it too quickly.

Any reason why the "Banned Footage Vol.1" DLC isn't appearing or available for owners of Deluxe Edition of the game? I tried looking up "Season Pass" section on PSN Store and it just says "Installed", and yet I cant access the DLC from the option menu.

myco666

Is there a correct way to deal with the enemy in the barn?

Shoot it until it dies.
In all of my three playthroughs it has for some reason stayed in the elevator so I just kept shooting it and went into cover when it started barfing.

Nightmare DLC is the worst crap I've ever played. Never going to touch it again.
Let's see what the other modes are.

Edit: Ethen must die is even worse

I seriously can't believe how bad this DLC is. No fun allowed I guess.
I will play "bedroom" in the evening. I'm so disappointed I don't want to play anymore.

What is so bad about them?

Birthday cake puzzle:

As soon as I saw the faucet pouring out what could be gasoline I expected my demise. : x But I'm not sure how I feel about it. It doesn't seem possible to actually go through the motions of the puzzle and survive.

This portion of the game reminds me of Code Veronica.

Then... why didn't you
just fetch it before you went there? To me, the fact that I suddenly faced 3 of those screamed "you need the shotgun to pass", especially since it was rather openly presented to you.

Yes, exactly like most any game with boss battles...?

Kind of a trademark of classic Resident Evil, I welcomed it. But... you do know there are those large green boxes in the safe rooms, don't you? Never discarded anything...

I did go back and get the
shotgun
, but it felt like I should have been able to progress through without it. The first of the 'enemy' you fight can go down with x3 pistol head shots, the next two take well over 10. And the fact they re-spawn if you go outside a certain area, just stuck out.

Perhaps it's that this boss battles are so confined, I find there is little in the way of complexity other than block, move into a space and shoot.

Yes aware of the inventory management, just found it tiresome at certain points...like an artificial method for prolonging progression.

I think you are not a Resident Evil player.

I'm a huge RE fan, 4 is my favourite game of all time.

Maybe it's me just getting older.

Alienous

I'd agree with the inventory management. Especially because there was no puzzle to optimizing your inventory, like in RE4. In RE7 you are
gifted larger carry capacity
at seemingly random points in the game. And key items take inventory slots. Even things like swapping an item in your inventory to combine two items, then picking up what you swapped, would require running to a safe room.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So this new DLC isn't free for everyone?

I thought it was?

Season Pass

Banned Footage vol 1 - Jan 31st
Banned Footage vol 2 - Feb 14th
Additional Story Episode - Unknown

Free DLC

Not a Hero - Spring 2017

PC/XB1 will only get the season pass DLC on Feb 21st

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, my no-healing, 3-item-boxes speedrun on Easy is done. It took me a little over 3 hours, but mostly because 1. I was doing the The Devil Is in the Details Achievement, so I was double checking everything and 2. got a bit lost in the
ship playing as Mia

Now, all I have to do is collect all the Antique Coins in Madhouse (and beat that mode!).

myco666

I did go back and get the
shotgun
, but it felt like I should have been able to progress through without it. The first of the 'enemy' you fight can go down with x3 pistol head shots, the next two take well over 10. And the fact they re-spawn if you go outside a certain area, just stuck out.

Perhaps it's that this boss battles are so confined, I find there is little in the way of complexity other than block, move into a space and shoot.

Yes aware of the inventory management, just found it tiresome at certain points...like an artificial method for prolonging progression.

I'm a huge RE fan, 4 is my favourite game of all time.

Maybe it's me just getting older.

You can definitely progress without shotgun. I didn't use shotgun until I was already halfway through the game.

Wow, the moment you're on the
ship, playing as Ethan, and read the paper regarding Eveline getting grey hairs. I knew that old lady was gonna be the big bad. I just knew it.

Edit:
Oh god, entered a cave and she's singing "Go Tell Aunt Rhody".

The vomiting fat dudes are a garbage-tier enemy in a game with only like 3 enemy types. Vomit goes through objects and they're capable of getting you into a loop of being damaged frequently enough to die while stunlocked with full health.

I just got to the
old house
, but so far I have a very distinct favorite part of the game.

After you beat
chainsaw Jack
and go back upstairs to the ground level and hear
humming of Aunt Rhody and see the old lady, and then when you go down the hall and hear it again and then she's gone if you look back.
That was my highlight so far lol. Scary, but also kind of funny.

how do you fucking kill the Baker witht he chainsaw? Do you use any shotgun? is it worth wasting bullets on him, or just grab the chainsaw? any strategy killing this fucker

Also,

do you kill all those stupid molders? for fucks sake, so annoying. sometimes 2 headshots will do the trick, sometimes you need to shoot them multiple times in the head to kill them. do you just avoid and try to run?

Also

after you kill Baker with chainsaw, do you leave the house? because I don't remember getting the snake key at this point

how do you fucking kill the Baker witht he chainsaw? Do you use any shotgun? is it worth wasting bullets on him, or just grab the chainsaw? any strategy killing this fucker

Also,

do you kill all those stupid molders? for fucks sake, so annoying. sometimes 2 headshots will do the trick, sometimes you need to shoot them multiple times in the head to kill them. do you just avoid and try to run?

Also

after you kill Baker with chainsaw, do you leave the house? because I don't remember getting the snake key at this point

You can use ammo on Baker. I thought it best to save ammo and only use the chainsaw, but if that's too difficult then you can just shoot him until his weakspot opens up. I also killed most of the molded that appeared in the basement. Again, that's your discretion. If you think you can avoid them without taking much damage and don't want to use up ammo then you can, but the game gives you plenty of bullets. And you do leave the house soon, but you won't get the snake key until later.

Capra

Also,

Also

Grab the chainsaw and use L2+R2 to do a thrust attack. It auto-parrys his scissor attacks and does a ton of damage to him when he's vulnerable. It's kind of finicky though, so I'd advise using enhanced handgun bullets if you can to get him to drop.

Carefully running past them will get you through a good amount of encounters. However, using the shotgun up-close and aiming for the head is an instant kill half the time so if you find yourself in a jam and you have the ammo don't be afraid to use it.

You'll unlock a way back the way you came after you deal with Jack. Remember, you wanted the Cerberus head so you could go out through the main hallway.

ZombieLPK

Also,

Also

Shoot him in the head until he opens the gate to the chainsaw, then just use that.

You can avoid them if you're sprinting by them, they won't be there anymore after the chainsaw Jack fight.

Next main story step after the chainsaw Jack fight is going outside to the old house.

Grab the chainsaw and use L2+R2 to do a thrust attack. It auto-parrys his scissor attacks and does a ton of damage to him when he's vulnerable. It's kind of finicky though, so I'd advise using enhanced handgun bullets if you can to get him to drop.

Carefully running past them will get you through a good amount of encounters. However, using the shotgun up-close and aiming for the head is an instant kill half the time so if you find yourself in a jam and you have the ammo don't be afraid to use it.

You'll unlock a way back the way you came after you deal with Jack. Remember, you wanted the Cerberus head so you could go out through the main hallway.

ok, so do you use the chainsaw just on R2 mode? then when he is vulnerable on his knees, you use the R2 L2 attack?

Spinky

I don't know if I should even bother with Ethan Must Die, I just played a tiny bit and I know this is gonna make me wanna physically hurt myself.

Ricker

This one is part of the season pass. One coming in a few weeks is free.

More like a few months...like many suggested,they should of done the opposite,give the free one earlier and the paid stuff after...oh well,I hear its hard and frustrating as hell anyway...? whats wrong with it...? playing it on easy doesnt help...?

Capra

ok, so do you use the chainsaw just on R2 mode? then when he is vulnerable on his knees, you use the R2 L2 attack?

Nope, the R2+L2 attack is the one that blocks his attacks. I don't know why they don't tell you that so it's kind of bullshit but once you know it makes the fight a lot more manageable. I never used the standard R2 on replays because it takes too long to swing and he can easily take out half your health in that time.

Final stats for first playthrough:

YUWiJSC.png

What a ride.

Starting Madhouse run now. Did I do something wrong? Why am I watching the intro cutscene? Does this mode not assume I've already beaten the game?

Nope, the R2+L2 attack is the one that blocks his attacks. I don't know why they don't tell you that so it's kind of bullshit but once you know it makes the fight a lot more manageable. I never used the standard R2 on replays because it takes too long to swing and he can easily take out half your health in that time.

ok, so once he is on his knees, do you use the R2 attack or keep using the R2L2?

ok, so once he is on his knees, do you use the R2 attack or keep using the R2L2?

To chime in on this:

I accidentally stumbled onto this 'move' the first time fighting him on Normal just from knowing that L2 is aiming or readying your weapon so I assumed it worked for the chainsaw.

I had no idea what I was doing and defeated him first try. It was really fucking close, but still, first try with L2 + R2. You can parry/block him with it but it shuts down your saw eventually (not sure if this happens with the regular R2 attack), so you have to stagger him with the body bags or whatever while letting the chainsaw cool down and start up again with square.

Definitely use those body bags to your advantage. And yes, once he's down on his knees and has that 'hump' exposed, L2 + R2 again...that's the only way I used the saw in every situation.

Sorry if I'm regurgitating the obvious maybe but that's at least how I did it and I had massive anxiety during that fight on top of it haha.

, does anyone know how much I roughly have left? as I don't want to rush through it too quickly.

Anyone?

Also, does anyone know if the game timer is glitched on Xbox. It seems to suggest I have played 50 hours lol

h0tp0ck3t

So I just got the
snake key and bout to look for the key cards.
my time is a little less than an hour and a half. Am I target for a 4 hour clear or do I need to pick up the pace more?

I figured I want to hit the
boat
by the 2 hour mark

To chime in on this:

I accidentally stumbled onto this 'move' the first time fighting him on Normal just from knowing that L2 is aiming or readying your weapon so I assumed it worked for the chainsaw.

I had no idea what I was doing and defeated him first try. It was really fucking close, but still, first try with L2 + R2. You can parry/block him with it but it shuts down your saw eventually (not sure if this happens with the regular R2 attack), so you have to stagger him with the body bags or whatever while letting the chainsaw cool down and start up again with square.

Definitely use those body bags to your advantage. And yes, once he's down on his knees and has that 'hump' exposed, L2 + R2 again...that's the only way I used the saw in every situation.

Sorry if I'm regurgitating the obvious maybe but that's at least how I did it and I had massive anxiety during that fight on top of it haha.

awesome, thanks

Beat the game last night and, while I'd need time to mull it over to figure out where it stands in the series overall, I had a great time with it. I was surprised how little
you had to hide from the Bakers
; I had figured it was going to be a much bigger part of the game.

Looking forward to the Not a Hero DLC. It's nice that we'll, hopefully, get some context to the things that happen around the end of the game without having to wait years for a sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I just got the
snake key and bout to look for the key cards.
my time is a little less than an hour and a half. Am I target for a 4 hour clear or do I need to pick up the pace more?

I figured I want to hit the
boat
by the 2 hour mark

I followed the following from the RE7 trophy guide on the trophies website as benchmark. Spoilering it in case. You're doing good if you already have
the Snake key.

Jack Baker Boss (Morgue) - Before 1hr
Marguerite Baker Boss (Greenhouse) - Before 1hr 30mins
Jack Baker Boss - Before 2hrs 30mins
Wrecked Ship Elevator Repair - Before 3hrs
Final Boss - Before 3hrs 45mins

My run time for my first speed run was 2 hr 50 mins because I bundled in the "less than 3 healing items" in the same run, so I was practically running through every encounter in the game only stopping to pick up ammo and gunpowders, completely ignoring healing items.

h0tp0ck3t

I followed the following from the RE7 trophy guide on the trophies website. Spoilering it in case. You're doing good if you already have
the Snake key.

Jack Baker Boss (Morgue) - Before 1hr
Marguerite Baker Boss (Greenhouse) - Before 1hr 30mins
Jack Baker Boss - Before 2hrs 30mins
Wrecked Ship Elevator Repair - Before 3hrs
Final Boss - Before 3hrs 45mins

Cool thanks

Bluenoser

Just wanted to post that damn this game is fucking good. I'm not finished yet, although I thought I was, which is why I stayed up so late last night. My clock is already at 8+ hours, and I'm not sure how much I have left (
I'm at the part where you play as Mia
)

I couldn't stop playing this last night though. I was in a situation where I saved with lots of resources, and ventured out to the next part to see what lies ahead, for the purpose of figuring out the best route, then reload my save and go at it. Problem is I kept making progress and didn't want to stop, so this took me straight to the end. I like how they drip-feed you resources. You start getting stressed because you only have 5 shotgun shells left, but then you pick up 2 or 3 and you can breathe a little easier.

Question about the last mansion boss....
was that Jack or Lucas? I thought it only made sense for it to be Lucas, since he was the only one you hadn't killed, but Ethan's comments during the fight made it sound like it was Jack.

Can't wait to get back to playing this tonight. I think I might go back to give the
serum to Mia this time - I gave it to Zoe first time because I figured if not for her, I couldn't have made it.

Could someone explain what this new DLC is all about? I don't wanna sink money into it and regret it...
Basically it's just a new difficulty and something else?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could someone explain what this new DLC is all about? I don't wanna sink money into it and regret it...

1. "Escape room" scenario
2. "Wave based" COD Zombies style scenario
3. Ethan Must Die - extra hard mode.

Spinky

There's Bedroom, which is basically just you trapped in a room trying to solve super-hard puzzles.

There's Nightmare, which is kind of like Mercs, from RE4-6, the closest thing we'll get to it on this game anyway. It's like a survival mode.

And Ethan Must Die is a randomly-generated super-hard mode, basically.

I don't know if I should even bother with Ethan Must Die, I just played a tiny bit and I know this is gonna make me wanna physically hurt myself.

It's not even fun. It's just feels cheap and quickly put together. Nightmare is the same though it's at least a little bit more entertaining. Still crap.

Haven't tried the bedroom dlc yet.

So far this is a waste of money.

Bluenoser

Releasing DLC a week after the game feels slimy anyway. Who does that? If it was that quick to make, it should have been on the disc, or included in a patch. If it was a huge effort, it shouldn't be out already.

Charging for harder difficulty? What the fuck? Capcom, I love the game, but this disappoints me.

mxgt

Banned

Late, but took me about 3 and a half hours to finish from that point.

Spinky

Releasing DLC a week after the game feels slimy anyway. Who does that? If it was that quick to make, it should have been on the disc, or included in a patch. If it was a huge effort, it shouldn't be out already.

Charging for harder difficulty? What the fuck? Capcom, I love the game, but this disappoints me.
It's not a difficulty for the full game, it's a stupidly hard standalone segment with a few visual changes and randomly-generated items.

Madhouse Mode is all we have for extra difficulties at the moment. Hope they patch in a regular Hard mode, though.

Top Bottom