• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Just wanted to post that damn this game is fucking good. I'm not finished yet, although I thought I was, which is why I stayed up so late last night. My clock is already at 8+ hours, and I'm not sure how much I have left (
I'm at the part where you play as Mia
)

I couldn't stop playing this last night though. I was in a situation where I saved with lots of resources, and ventured out to the next part to see what lies ahead, for the purpose of figuring out the best route, then reload my save and go at it. Problem is I kept making progress and didn't want to stop, so this took me straight to the end. I like how they drip-feed you resources. You start getting stressed because you only have 5 shotgun shells left, but then you pick up 2 or 3 and you can breathe a little easier.

Question about the last mansion boss....
was that Jack or Lucas? I thought it only made sense for it to be Lucas, since he was the only one you hadn't killed, but Ethan's comments during the fight made it sound like it was Jack.

Can't wait to get back to playing this tonight. I think I might go back to give the
serum to Mia this time - I gave it to Zoe first time because I figured if not for her, I couldn't have made it.

You have about 2 hours left.

And the boss at the
boathouse
is
Jack

I finally got some quality time with this game over the weekend, and haven't loved a game right off the bat like this one in ages. Where the demo was more of an atmospheric slow-burn kind of 1970's horror film, the full game is a full-on 1980's Sam Raimi spook-a-blast. The first real "boss" fight cracked me up so hard--I loved it. And I like how it can progress in different ways. Right now I'm at
Ethan's attempt at the birthday cake puzzle
, and I'm ready to say this game would have to seriously shit the bed, like turn into a completely different game, for me to not have an overall positive impression by the end of this.

d00d3n

Gaah, I am too afraid to start this. Thinking of giving myself the circular saw to neuter the stalkers. Is this possible through downloading a save file, or are saves encrypted to the Steam account to make this impossible?

1. "Escape room" scenario
2. "Wave based" COD Zombies style scenario
3. Ethan Must Die - extra hard mode.

There's Bedroom, which is basically just you trapped in a room trying to solve super-hard puzzles.

There's Nightmare, which is kind of like Mercs, from RE4-6, the closest thing we'll get to it on this game anyway. It's like a survival mode.

And Ethan Must Die is a randomly-generated super-hard mode, basically.

Thank you

Salty Hippo

Question about difficulty (first hour spoilers):

I died 3 times in the Mia fight in the attic. Playing on normal. Is that supposed to be a tough first-time fight? I'm playing on PC but with a controller, so I'm a little worried the difficulty might be balanced for the more precise mouse/key combo. Aiming feels fairly tight in the game with a controller but I felt that if you are not very precise with the headshots there's not much you can do there? I tried running away but my character is so slow and clumsy (which I like). In one of the tries I was at full health and she got close, hit me, so I tried to turn around to get away and she attacked again very quickly and I'm dead.

Any tips for a baby like myself when it comes to horror games? I feel like I'm missing out by ignoring this genre, I'm just not the type of guy who enjoys being scared though. Really frustrating.

AXE

This continues to entertain me to a great extent!

Lets Play Part 2 up

There are some issues and unfortunately its quite clear that the game doesn't have any redeeming values for playing it again. Especially immediately. Obvious spoilers in the video.

I died 3 times in the Mia fight in the attic. Playing on normal. Is that supposed to be a tough first-time fight? I'm playing on PC but with a controller, so I'm a little worried the difficulty might be balanced for the more precise mouse/key combo. Aiming feels fairly tight in the game with a controller but I felt that if you are not very precise with the headshots there's not much you can do there? I tried running away but my character is so slow and clumsy (which I like). In one of the tries I was at full health and she got close, hit me, so I tried to turn around to get away and she attacked again very quickly and I'm dead.

use L1/LB to block.
If you do it when she does that charge attack on you at the beginning of the fight, it negates all damage.

kromeo

I finally got some quality time with this game over the weekend, and haven't loved a game right off the bat like this one in ages. Where the demo was more of an atmospheric slow-burn kind of 1970's horror film, the full game is a full-on 1980's Sam Raimi spook-a-blast. The first real "boss" fight cracked me up so hard--I loved it. And I like how it can progress in different ways. Right now I'm at
, and I'm ready to say this game would have to seriously shit the bed, like turn into a completely different game, for me to not have an overall positive impression by the end of this.

It somewhat does feel like a different game after you finish the area you're in, although I certainly wouldn't say it shits the bed. I won't spoil anything beyond that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Just a quick pro tip: Down + Circle (or B) will do quick turns. Good for turning and running in a pinch.

Second,
that fight is hard for the start of the game, the rest will be easier as you'll be better prepared and with 2 hands the reloading is considerably faster, you're literally handicapped in that fight.

best advice I can give is to run, turn, headshots and repeat. Use things like the mannequins, pillars and even doors to put space in you, also this fight is a great way to let you know how important guarding in the game is. The game doesn't make it super apparent but guarding reduces damage, guarding at the right time will even have Ethan shove Mia away and stagger her for a little while, giving you more headshot opportunities.

I'm enjoying the game, but now I'm in the boss fight
with the father, where there are corpses around, which I use to "stun" him. But I don't know what to do after all corpses and the pillar are gone, everything is destroyed, I can't unlock the door, which it says that it needs something heavy and I keep using the chainsaw on him until I just die and start over...
what am I missing?

BeeDog

with the father, where there are corpses around, which I use to "stun" him. But I don't know what to do after all corpses and the pillar are gone, everything is destroyed, I can't unlock the door, which it says that it needs something heavy and I keep using the chainsaw on him until I just die and start over...
what am I missing?

Damage him until his back opens, then do a thrusting attack with the chainsaw using L2+R2.

Bluenoser

what am I missing?

My strategy was to use
the R3 button to duck when he swings at you, then pop back up and hit him with your own chainsaw, until he hunches over with a big fleshy pod exposed, then cut the shit out of that until he gets back up, rinse repeat until he dies. R3 is your best friend here.... you even get a trophy for ducking an attack.

I died a few times to
her too. If you back out of the room and down the hall, she will go around the other way, and cut through walls/doors with her chainsaw. Once she opens up the area for you, it's easier to run away and take shots from a distance. Headshots are kind of tough in this game due to the enemy movements, but just aim for the head, and when she charges run away. Takes maybe 15 or so headshots to take her down.

Ricker

what am I missing?

Watch the screen carefully,at some point you may have to crank it back up or you are not doing the L1/R1 attack when he is on one knee...and what Bluenoser said...

Newboi

I just want to say that fighting Mia on Madhouse was one of the most frustrating and horrific encounters I've ever had in a video game.

She's much scarier when she can take a metric ton of damage! It took me forever to figure out the proper strategy to beat her, but once I did; It was pretty simple (I died like 10 times trying to figure it out though). She also moves WAY WAY faster then she does on normal or easy.

Now Jack on Madhouse becomes extraordinarily frustrating. He's crazy fast and follows you everywhere! I've resorted to the circular saw, which has made encounters with him and the molded so far trivial.
I see that there are cages in the main hall now in madhouse mode. What do the coins in the cages do? Should I go for the those or the Raven key?

Overall, I'm with everyone else when it comes to Madhouse. This mode is virtually unfair without the extra items you can unlock. You really have to do some creative planing to get around as you don't have the firepower or running speed to get around at your leisure. With Jack being super fast, super strong, and prowling everywhere now, you really have to have intimate knowledge of the Mansion's layout along with the placement of key items as you can't waste any time or movement. This is all made trivial with the circular saw though lol.

Damage him until his back opens, then do a thrusting attack with the chainsaw using L2+R2.

My strategy was to use
the R3 button to duck when he swings at you, then pop back up and hit him with your own chainsaw, until he hunches over with a big fleshy pod exposed, then cut the shit out of that until he gets back up, rinse repeat until he dies. R3 is your best friend here.... you even get a trophy for ducking an attack.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to give it a go later today.

Bluenoser

I just want to say that fighting Mia on Madhouse was one of the most frustrating and horrific encounters I've ever had in a video game.

She's much scarier when she can take a metric ton of damage! It took me forever to figure out the proper strategy to beat her, but once I did; It was pretty simple (I died like 10 times trying to figure it out though). She also moves WAY WAY faster then she does on normal or easy.

Now Jack on Madhouse becomes extraordinarily frustrating. He's crazy fast and follows you everywhere! I've resorted to the circular saw, which has made encounters with him and the molded so far trivial.
I see that there cages in the main hall now in madhouse mode. What do the coins in the cages do? Should I go for the those or the Raven key?

Overall, I'm with everyone else when it comes to Madhouse. This mode is virtually unfair without the extra items you can unlock. You really have to do some creative planing to get around as you don't have the firepower or running speed to get around at your leisure. With Jack being super fast, super strong, and prowling everywhere now, you really have to have intimate knowledge of the Mansion's layout along with the placement of key items as you can't waste any time or movement. This is all made trivial with the circular saw though lol.

I was watching a youtuber let's play on madhouse difficulty, and I noticed there were a lot more items scattered around than on normal... I mean a lot. But it may be smaller amounts, like lots of 1-2 bullets instead of 6 for example. And yes, you have to use your coins more and items are in different spots. It's like original RE vs REmake.

Zuzzissm0

I was watching a youtuber let's play on madhouse difficulty, and I noticed there were a lot more items scattered around than on normal... I mean a lot. But it may be smaller amounts, like lots of 1-2 bullets instead of 6 for example. And yes, you have to use your coins more and items are in different spots. It's like original RE vs REmake.

on madhouse there are definitly less items. use the x ray glasses on normal than you will see how much there is

Spinky

The Bedroom and Ethan Must Die DLCs are really hard.

Can't figure out what to do with the former and don't want to look it up. The latter is just impossible, at least for my scrub ass. Game says you get super-duper special prize for completing it though, wonder what that is.

Can't figure out what to do with the former and don't want to look it up. The latter is just impossible, at least for my scrub ass. Game says you get super-duper special prize for completing it though, wonder what that is.

Is it for the main game, or just Ethan Must Die?

Is it harder than madhouse?

Spinky

Is it harder than madhouse?
I'd say Ethan Must Die is. Items are randomised, everything does tons of damage, you only start with a knife and you can't save your progress.

It's a separate mini game, not a new difficulty for the campaign.

I haven't played THAT much of it yet, though.

raw

I think everyone's exaggerating with the final part. It's not that bad, it's just not as good.

It's the same problem that RE4 has, except in my opinion it makes more sense with RE7 because having
the final act be a shoot fest when the whole game beforehand was just hiding from everything is more interesting than "same action but we ran out of cool ideas" imo. Also thankfully it doesn't last that long, unlike RE4

i just started this too and holy shit the graphics.

Yeah, it might be the best overall looking horror game next to Alien Isolation.

When I mean overall, I mean in terms of all graphical components. Environments, animation, character models etc.

Indie Horror suffers from the problem of having the environments look amazing, but the character models and animations look really janky in comparison *cough* Outlast *cough*

Glad AAA horror is back

Dyna

This DLC is kind of meh to be completely honest. I enjoyed The Bedroom, it took me a while to figure the whole thing out and I thought it was neat. Nightmare mode is okay for what it is I guess, and I do plan on completing it, but at the same time it reeks of tacked on bonus mode that didn't require much thought or effort. Ethan Must Die doesn't seem like a cool challenge for the hardcore players (to me at least), it's just super frustrating because of how unnecessarily unfair it is. I don't know, I guess I'm just a bit grumpy that apart from The Bedroom I found this first add-on pack to be quite the letdown. Hopefully the second Banned Footage DLC is better.

Newboi

Starting Madhouse run now. Did I do something wrong? Why am I watching the intro cutscene? Does this mode not assume I've already beaten the game?

The Intro cutscene is always unskippable. Not sure why it's like this. You pretty much won't see any of the unlocks you gained from your first playthrough until you reach the item box for the first time.

Also, good luck fighting Mia!

I think everyone's exaggerating with the final part. It's not that bad, it's just not as good.

I honestly had no idea what was coming, any expectations or anything and I still thought it was completely weird and idiotic in a bad way. Definitely not exaggerating on my end to make a point or anything as I thought the rest of the game was great.

I absolutely don't mind it turning into a cathartic shooting bonanza, sure, but the choice of only handing you
that piss-weak machine gun
to do so was a huge mistake in my opinion. I would be into it if I would be able to properly get my revenge, but alas, I'm stuck with something that feels like a paintgun making the whole affair extremely anticlimactic for me.

Is it though? Seems pretty dead to me.

Stronger than it was last gen at least for sure. RE7, Alien: Isolation, Bloodborne, The Evil Within, Until Dawn. 5 good to excellent AAA horror games in the past 2 years is more than we got in the entirety of last gen.

It's the same problem that RE4 has, except in my opinion it makes more sense with RE7 because having
the final act be a shoot fest when the whole game beforehand was just hiding from everything is more interesting than "same action but we ran out of cool ideas" imo. Also thankfully it doesn't last that long, unlike RE4

Except RE4 was still throwing new enemies, bosses, and wildly different encounters, setpieces and levels at you at that point in the game. RE7 kinda just shrugs and gives you a few corridors filled with the same enemies from the first hour. But yeah at least the
mines
were short, but I would say that and the final "boss" were legitimately bad and lazy. The
ship
at least had better level design and atmosphere, but still has the enemy problem. Overall it was alright, but I think the final third brings a great game down to being a good game.

Enlil

after a few days of release I hesitated to buy this one. Last Re I got (didnt bought it) was re4(afterwards and thinking about it re4 was pretty good, but no RE game in IMO). I decided to buy re7 after seeing some footage. What caught my eyes was the fact you were playing in a house, just like Reremake you played in a mansion.

I consider Reremake the best game ever made; the story and atmosphere; I dont like scare jumps, but a scary atmosphere of survival (low ammo etc) is something I really love, good story; where you connect with the people and really feel sorry for them.

Re7 did go back to its roots. Some rooms/scenarios are just like reremake, they look almost real (unfortunately not as real as P.T.). Some rooms, like in reremake gave me goosebumps. The scarejumps are really well done on the right moment. The game is not about shooting enemies, its about exploring. Although it lacks puzzles and the house was to small, I preferred a mansion.

when you get on the boat to get on the ship that was the moment I was kinda disappointed. the ship has some nice looking rooms. I just couldn't wrap my head around this whole ship thing and I still don't. the only thing I didn't like about the game.

another thing that I didn't like was the end boss. I rather had seen no ends boss at all.
The end should have been the moment you caught Evelien, they should have made it harder and made it a end boss

although it took me 12 hours to finish this, because I tend to go back and explore more and more it was really short.

I also experienced random slow downs in areas where before everything was smooth.

+ reremake but in 3d, good scary atmosphere, slow enemies, exploring, good music
- the more you advance the more it loses its scary atmosphere, lack of puzzles, story could have been better, random slow downs (steam, PC)

As a real reremake fan I will give this game a 8.5/10.

Unai

Any tips for a baby like myself when it comes to horror games? I feel like I'm missing out by ignoring this genre, I'm just not the type of guy who enjoys being scared though. Really frustrating.

- Play the first time on easy;
- Kill everything that moves (well, except for the rare non killable encounters);
- Don't use a headphone;
- Keep the lights on.
- Use the pause button a lot;

I'm also very scared of horror games. I wouldn't ever play something like Fatal Frame, but Resident Evil is not really that bad once you realize things are of biologic nature instead of supernatural.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The section everyone complains about it is also 15 minutes long as opposed to the couple hours every other part takes.

Kalentan

So does it seem like the "Nightmare" part of the DLC will have decent replayablity? Wouldn't mind getting it just to play that horde mode.

Anbec7

Tips for aiming? I mean I didn't have that much trouble on the other games but here feels "odd" I do wait until the crosspoint returns but...

Carbonox

The Intro cutscene is always unskippable. Not sure why it's like this. You pretty much won't see any of the unlocks you gained from your first playthrough until you reach the item box for the first time.

Also, good luck fighting Mia!

Mia's easy - you can get her to charge at you and each time it's 100% blockable, freeing up a few headshots as she staggers. Rinse and repeat. I missed a load of shots and still had ammo spare by the time it was over on Madhouse. If you try any other route then it's definitely a challenge. Do not fight her up close. Get her to cut down the walls and doors and just run around in circles so she has the space to charge you. Easy peasy. :D

Newboi

Mia's easy - you can get her to charge at you and each time it's 100% blockable, freeing up a few headshots as she staggers. Rinse and repeat. I missed a load of shots and still had ammo spare by the time it was over on Madhouse. If you try any other route then it's definitely a challenge. Do not fight her up close. Get her to cut down the walls and doors and just run around in circles so she has the space to charge you. Easy peasy. :D

Well yes, I figured that out, but for someone's first time playing Madhouse and not knowing that. She can be brutal. I'm sure most people didn't figure that out until dieing multiple times to her on Madhouse mode.

Top Bottom