• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

juventino

Banned
I agree. It certainly did pay off. I love the third-person view from the older games, but I'm really sold on first-person in this game. The series works well from both perspectives. Maybe future games could incorporate both perspectives to satisfy both sides of the aisle, though such a move could create gameplay complications. They'd have to find a fine balance.

They can do a Rockstar and have them both, it can be done and I think its a solid idea. Capcom, take notes

ciD_Vain

Being a Resident EVIL fan is complicated nowadays...

Edit: the spoiler below this text contains a gif with some RE7 ending information, please, if you are still playing, don't click on it
AfsH.gif
Are you freaking kidding me? I'm on mobile gaf and this shit just spoiled stuff.

Teknoman

Yeah the game gets eerie for like 5 minutes going in there.

Doesn't really achieve that elsewhere in the game - and they were trying, so it's a shame. I'm sure in VR it's scarier in terms of jump scares and enemies etc, maybe even just ambient-level fear due to the immersion. I'm assuming people are exaggerating even that though, because outside of the above mentioned couple of rooms, it doesn't ever approach eerie, spooky or scary for me.

That might just be the overall setting, or maybe just the way the environments are set out. Fear's a weird thing, different for everybody, these environments were interesting to explore, but not scary. The bayou isn't a scary environment to me, so it was starting off behind.

Also, (late story spoilers)
the overall unoriginality/ of the sources of fear - a fuckin spooky little girl, a CRAZY hillbilly family, bugs - diminishes the potential for fear due to how familiar they are in terms of the genre, and the game doesn't do anything original with them. Lucas's section in particular was just irritating, because he's an irritating character.

Lucas reminded me of Dr. Shamwow from RE5. That being said, the ambient fear level of actually feeling like being there and the environments have actual depth, thats what delivers the horror for VR. Also yes, the jump scares will get you.

EDIT: Does Jack actually burst through walls in normal difficulty? I never had that happen...

Thorgal

Lucas reminded me of Dr. Shamwow from RE5. That being said, the ambient fear level of actually feeling like being there and the environments have actual depth, thats what delivers the horror for VR. Also yes, the jump scares will get you.

EDIT: Does Jack actually burst through walls in normal difficulty? I never had that happen...
He does. After the table scene if you get spotted and chased by Jack and run back through the hallway he will burst through the wall

I've just done the garage section in the beginning of the game on NORMAL difficulty. I just wanted to know if the game is forgiving when it comes to ammo/health or will I have to manage them like the earlier RE titles?

Unless you're terrible at aiming you end up with more spare ammo as you progress. It only scarce very early on.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I fought
Spider Marguerite
tonight. I threw everything at it, then stabbed it for like two minutes before dying. It kicked my ass so thoroughly and was so stressful I immediately turned the game off and played something 2d to relax.

I used every ounce of ammo I had and nothing.

juventino

Banned
So I fought
Spider Marguerite
tonight. I threw everything at it, then stabbed it for like two minutes before dying. It kicked my ass so thoroughly and was so stressful I immediately turned the game off and played something 2d to relax.

That bitch takes a lot of damage, just keep at it and run around the whole greenhouse, there is a lot of ammo laying around

Celeras

Banned
Wow I'm playing slow compared to other people's play times I've seen. I am playing in VR so I've spent a lot of time just looking around at shit but still.

Yeah me too man. Looking around at shit. Totally not being a bitch and peaking through doorways for 10 mins before walking through.

WHY DID I BUY VR FOR THIS IM SO SCARED

OmniOne

Just finished the game. 14 hours total on normal.

I think it was fantastic. Vr was incredible, play about 10hrs of the game with it.

kirblar

So I fought
Spider Marguerite

This one's not obvious as to what you have to do.
When you do enough damage to make her run away, hunt her down. Her belly will be exposed and you can do actual damage to her.

This one's not obvious as to what you have to do.
When you do enough damage to make her run away, hunt her down. Her belly will be exposed and you can do actual damage to her.

it all does damage to her I believe, but in addition to catching her when she's more vulnerable, if you hunt her down you can stop her from birthing the insect nests

The
part in the Old House after you unlock that door with the lantern
in VR is no fuckin joke. I was like shaking playing that last night.

Playing Ethan Must Die. When you come across those blobs that are blocking doorways, this is how much damage they take depending on which knife you have equipped:

4 hits with survival knife.
12 with regular knife.

I don't know how well the survival knife is against enemies but definitely equip it and toss the starting knife if you come across it.

Walking shoes make you crouch walk faster..didn't know that.

You need to make it to the living room to get the key, right? I was in the room above the living room but died to a bomb -_-

Traps can be your best friend. Use them to your advantage.

You can make it pretty far in the beginning without even having to take a shot. Enemies can be ran past or lure them into a trap...or even lure them away from a door then close the door behind you to trap them.

Shotguns are so good.

This mode has grown on me. Frustrating at first but now it's addicting.

Question about combat.

I'm going to spoiler tag just to be on the safe side.

Just got to the basement section with the monsters, about two hours or so in. Do you guys use your knife for these creatures or do you use your handgun? Not sure if I should be trying to conserve ammo or not. What about Jack? Do you guys fight him every time or hide? I don't have the shotgun yet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What a fucking incredible game. They pulled it off! Capcom aint the rotting carcass I'd feared! GOTY contender already from January.

Played the whole thing through in VR and since I just got PSVR at the end of last year, it feels like we just started a whole new generation of videogames. The analogs with RE1 are even stronger for me because of that.

Hope it does really well for Capcom. They took a risk here and it paid off in spades. A fully VR survival horror game. The madmen!

Roussow

Question about combat.

I'm going to spoiler tag just to be on the safe side.

Just got to the basement section with the monsters, about two hours or so in. Do you guys use your knife for these creatures or do you use your handgun? Not sure if I should be trying to conserve ammo or not. What about Jack? Do you guys fight him every time or hide? I don't have the shotgun yet.

I barely used the knife beyond cracking open boxes and killing
bugs
. You'll come across enough ammo to kill all of the molded you come across with your handgun, and eventually shotgun. I very rarely fight Jack, or any other similar stalking enemies, you should just be able to run/stealth maneuver around him. The only time I've fought him is with NG+ gear and Infinite Ammo, which is a massive exception to a traditional play-through.

seady

It's amazing that there are so many memorable moments in the game. Every encounter with the family members are so crazy breathtaking and memorable.

Spoo

I posted this in the spoiler thread, but it occurs to me that some people here might find it useful too. I've been working on a guide thing for Ethan Must Die mode in the DLC. Don't peek if you want to go through it without hints, of course:

http://pastebin.com/D4FpJJUr

If you've done this mode, or have gotten further than this, or think there's something left out, please add it, add your name and re-upload and re-link.

Capra

Madhouse does, indeed, not fuck around.

I actually had to employ strategy to
do the Mia fight in the attic
. I am learning new and interesting things about the game though! For instance,
you can block Mia's charge attack and get a few free headshots in. Also she can saw through doors and, eventually, an entire wall in the attic

I got as far as the
Jack encounter in the garage
and had to stop for now. Glad I went and got the x-ray glasses because I get the feeling I'm going to need every bullet and upgrade I can get my hands on.

I posted this in the spoiler thread, but it occurs to me that some people here might find it useful too. I've been working on a guide thing for Ethan Must Die mode in the DLC. Don't peek if you want to go through it without hints, of course:

If you've done this mode, or have gotten further than this, or think there's something left out, please add it, add your name and re-upload and re-link.

Awesome work. Reading through it now.

For step 5, you CAN get rid of that molded, or at least trap him. You can lure it back into the previous room, where the floor trap is. Wait on the other side of the trap and when he's in the room, activate it so it'll cut his legs. He'll still be alive but it gives you time to run around him and close the door.

You also can lure him back into that same room and try to run right around him when he's far enough inside. This one is pretty risky and I've been only able to do it once. Other times, he'll hit me. Definitely go with the first option.

For step 6, do you want to mention there may be a box underneath the stairs?

For step 7, there may be 1 or 2 boxes that spawn there (or none depending on your luck). One of them may be a bomb. If so, you can try to lure them towards the bomb box and shoot it. Either it'll kill them or weaken them enough where you don't have to use as many bullets. There's also a floor trap in the middle you can lure them to as well. Won't kill, but they'll move slow enough to be handled.

I'll edit this post when I see more things that can be added.

Spoo

Awesome work. Reading through it now.

For step 5, you CAN get rid of that molded, or at least trap him. You can lure it back into the previous room, where the floor trap is. Wait on the other side of the trap and when he's in the room, activate it so it'll cut his legs. He'll still be alive but it gives you time to run around him and close the door.

You also can lure him back into that same room and try to run right around him when he's far enough inside. This one is pretty risky and I've been only able to do it once. Other times, he'll hit me. Definitely go with the first option.

For step 6, do you want to mention there may be a box underneath the stairs?

I'll edit this post when I see more things that can be added.

Thanks! Yeah, there's a ton that can be added, and definitely different ways of doing things. And yeah I forgot about that possible box (and probably many others, since I doubt I've exhausted all RNG possibilities). Those are good options, though, and ideally I'd like the notes here to be the *safest* possible options, so its applicable to the most players (for example, in the scorpion hallway it's entirely possible to just dodge the first molded and head downstairs immediately, but it's *really* risky at like 30% success rate for me).

Also as you can see it's incomplete. So I absolutely recommend adding to the guide at your discretion. Any and all changes are welcome insofar as they make sense.

hughesta

Banned
Playing Ethan Must Die. When you come across those blobs that are blocking doorways, this is how much damage they take depending on which knife you have equipped:

4 hits with survival knife.
12 with regular knife.

I don't know how well the survival knife is against enemies but definitely equip it and toss the starting knife if you come across it.

Walking shoes make you crouch walk faster..didn't know that.

You need to make it to the living room to get the key, right? I was in the room above the living room but died to a bomb -_-

Traps can be your best friend. Use them to your advantage.

You can make it pretty far in the beginning without even having to take a shot. Enemies can be ran past or lure them into a trap...or even lure them away from a door then close the door behind you to trap them.

Shotguns are so good.

This mode has grown on me. Frustrating at first but now it's addicting.
feel the same. the first enemy you really have to kill is the one that spawns in the scorpion room location, and you can avoid the next few enemies until you get to the boiler room.

Zuzzissm0

there are some youtube videos with the hole run in under 30 mins.....

Jerrod

OK, wait. Please tell me you don't need to get all Antique Coins in one playthrough to that Trophy. It doesn't mention a single playthrough, but I missed the very first one in the
first VHS tape
and as far as I know there's no way to get it back.
I haven't tried this myself but...
you do revisit the guest house at the very end, and might be able to check the drawer. Perhaps you could save a lockpick from the boat and use it there?

Spoo

there are some youtube videos with the hole run in under 30 mins.....

Heh, didn't even check! A cool option if they are annotated. Thing is because of the RNG and the nature of videos some of the dangers may not be clear -- still, thanks for the heads up.

elohel

Yeah me too man. Looking around at shit. Totally not being a bitch and peaking through doorways for 10 mins before walking through.

WHY DID I BUY VR FOR THIS IM SO SCARED

Lol this is me I'll sit there and look both ways so many times

Roussow

Great work here, It's nice to see that I've employed pretty much the same strategies in my time with the mode. Although I've not made it any further than the rec room.

The section with the Fat Molded is probably the most RNG heavy, luring him around the pillar without at least taking one light hit from the acid can be a touch inconsistent.

I do the same thing, one knife swing finishes him off after he walks over the trap (crouch down, it's easier to hit him).

malfcn

Augh.

Found all the files but no achievement. Turns out a reload at the beginning of the game rolled back 2 files.

😩

Realeza

Banned
Just played the first hour and a half and so far I'm very impressed. One thing though: I didn't check the first VHS tape because I went immediately up the stairs. Does that change something in the future? I wonder if it was the same from the Beginning Hour demo.

Man - the steady realization that there are no
conventional zombies
in this has me super bummed :( between that and the huge change in gameplay with
Mia's section
, my enormous enthusiasm has been blunted. It's still great but it's got some major drawbacks

Being a Resident EVIL fan is complicated nowadays...

Edit: the spoiler below this text contains a gif with some RE7 ending information, please, if you are still playing, don't click on it

Man, edit that shit - come the fuck on

Jesb

This might be the most RE type of game since RE2, loving it. First person works great, won't mind this direction in future games.

I'm getting close to having enough antique coins to get the Magnum--is it worth it, or should I grab the fast reload ability right now? I already got the steroids.

I'm getting close to having enough antique coins to get the Magnum--is it worth it, or should I grab the fast reload ability right now? I already got the steroids.

I think I only saw magnum rounds like twice in the whole game haha. Wonder if they spawn more if you own it(I didn't)

Did the speedrun last night - 2 hours 38 minutes
Also did the less than 3 heals and less than 3 item box run at the same time

A few tips if I may -

Avoid fighting enemies at all cost - blocking is your friend
If there is a save point nearby, run to it - sometimes it kills
molded
Save all your ammo for bosses
The knife is a perfectly viable tool to stun the
molded
so you can run past them
Don't forget the GL if you have time to get it, the boss
giant jack
is a piece of shit without it
Make sure you give
Mia
the
serum
so you can skip a boss fight

If you go for 'no 3 heals' chuck away every medicine you find incase you accidentally use it.

Steroids work as a full heal and DONT block the trophy

With all the above it's perfectly doable and infact only
giant jack
gave me any trouble because I forgot the damn
grenade launcher

Top Bottom