• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Erebus

So if I do a speed-run on easy and then play on madhouse difficulty, I'd have pretty much unlocked everything in the game?

Unai

So if I do a speed-run on easy and then play on madhouse difficulty, I'd have pretty much unlocked everything in the game?

You still need to
find all Mr. Everywhere statues
to get the
Essence of Defense
. Also, if you want all trophies/achievements there are extra steeps.

bumpkin

So what is the consensus on the DLC? Is the season pass worth it?

I've read that one third of volume 1 doesn't support VR. :(

duder92

Neo Member
Easy and normal stack. Madhouse does not, as there are almost double the amount and they're placed in different locations.

Thanks. Thats a bummer, was hoping i could knock out the bobbleheads and coins on madhouse. Guess it will give me a chance to run through once more and take advantage of infinite ammo

Pilgrimzero

Beat it on normal. Pretty darn good. My only complaint is turning into Rambo for the last quarter. The final fight wasn't even that. I just oblitered the boss with my arsenal. Fight took 10 seconds.

Heck the "mini boss" fight on the path to the boss was harder (but not really).

And toughest boss fight was the first one.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well hard to say if the season pass is worth it when there is still 2 DLCs coming. Reception hasn't been best though.

Really? The few reviews I've seen being put out have been super positive.

Metro- Game review: Resident Evil 7 Banned Footage Vol. 1 is some great DLC

Pushsquare - Much like the core campaign, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard's first DLC drop is a pleasant surprise. Comprising of a mismatch of modes and bonus content, Banned Footage Vol. 1 isn't the most consistent expansion that you'll ever encounter, but it is one of the better ones

Kotaku - Banned Footage Vol. 1 offers a lot of cool stuff and will definitely scratch the itch of anyone who wanted more challenge from the original game.

The Verge - For the most part, this structure works great. ”Bedroom" offers a near-perfect balance of puzzle-solving and sheer terror, and provides a really clever expansion of the formula laid down in Resident Evil 7.

gagecube

Banned
I took a few days break from the game to do life stuff and came back and cheesed
Marguerite
as my last encounter left me frustrated. I finished it only using a can of burner fuel and 8 shotgun shells on normal.

Kup

What a game. Finished my 2nd play-through on Madhouse difficulty this morning and I have to say Resident Evil hasn't been this difficult and intense for a long time!

I started a 3rd play-through immediately after, on Easy, and went for the last three trophies - finish in under 4 hours (I clocked 2:09), use 3 or less healing items and use the item box 3 times or less. Platinum is mine! Absolutely loved it... so much so I'm going to buy the Season Pass first thing tomorrow morning and make a start on the DLC.

I can't get enough of this game at the moment, well done Capcpom.

I liked the game. I don't think it holds up as a great Resident Evil game, but it is a good one. I think it's closer to RE1 but not RE Remake. I just didn't think there was enough content there, and there also felt like too many retreads location wise. The house felt small, and when I got to
the ship
, I was really disappointed. That environment location has been used too many times in a Resident Evil game. I was hoping for something a bit different and not used as much. I did like the story even though the acting wasn't that great. I give it a 7.5. I'm wondering if a replay on a different difficulty would present any real changes.

I'm really surprised more of GAF isn't disappointed by the lack of any
conventional zombies
in this game. Granted I haven't full completed it yet (in the
mine
) - but it seems low likelihood they'll show up now.

Did everybody just know about this in advance? For me, with everything they nailed about classic RE elements, they left out the one thing that defines the series the most. In my mind, the game sometimes feels like REMake in FPS mode, which makes their absence all the more felt.

Also, no
giant spiders
? :(

kromeo

conventional zombies
mine

Did everybody just know about this in advance? For me, with everything they nailed about classic RE elements, they left out the one thing that defines the series the most. In my mind, the game sometimes feels like REMake in FPS mode, which makes their absence all the more felt.

Also, no
giant spiders

There were already no zombies in 4 or 5

Manu

I've seen people (not in GAF, mind you) write off the game as a Resident Evil game just because it has no zombies. So... yeah. I've seen backlash.

I've seen people (not in GAF, mind you) write off the game as a Resident Evil game just because it has no zombies. So... yeah. I've seen backlash.

And to be clear - not writing it off at all. It's amazing (the first half at least). I just really would have loved to experience
some REmake style zombies
from this perspective in this environment, and was sort of expecting to.

doby

conventional zombies
mine

Also, no
giant spiders

I have no problem with this. If every resident evil had the conventional zombie type (slow, groaning, flesh eating) it would be boring, all it serves is nostalgia and there are remakes for that (as well as other games that employ the conventional zombie). The villains in this game have zombie traits anyway so its not like they completely abandoned the notion, its just a different take on it.

Perineum

GAF I am going for the platinum on this, and am close. Could someone provide me with either a guide they recommend or just what to note for/tips for:

Beating the game in under 4 hours. (I have already beaten it on Madhouse, so infinite ammo ready)

Beating the game without opening the storage more than 3 times. (What times should I do this for my 3. I know the Lucas game forces you to put things in storage before going in)

Beating the game without healing. (Is infinite ammo and easy mode enough to just run through rambo ?)

Find all of the Mr Nowheres, Coins, and notes. (Is this doable on the easy 4 hour run, or should I just save it for a separate run as it would add too much time ?)

Jobbs

Banned
I think I'm relatively early.
I already did the part in the garage with the car.. I went upstairs and got the second doghead and did the VHS tape of Mia.

So after I left the bathroom the old guy I burned and whose head was exploded is back again. I unloaded everything into him and killed him... And then he got up again and ended up killing me.

Am I supposed to just
be running from him and saving all my ammo?
I'm still trying to figure out what the game wants from me.

Gonna try again tonight.

Pinky

Banned
I already did the part in the garage with the car.. I went upstairs and got the second doghead and did the VHS tape of Mia.

So after I left the bathroom the old guy I burned and whose head was exploded is back again. I unloaded everything into him and killed him... And then he got up again and ended up killing me.

Am I supposed to just

Gonna try again tonight.

Run from Jack. Likewise with Marguerite.

Kup

GAF I am going for the platinum on this, and am close. Could someone provide me with either a guide they recommend or just what to note for/tips for:

Beating the game in under 4 hours. (I have already beaten it on Madhouse, so infinite ammo ready)

Beating the game without opening the storage more than 3 times. (What times should I do this for my 3. I know the Lucas game forces you to put things in storage before going in)

Beating the game without healing. (Is infinite ammo and easy mode enough to just run through rambo ?)

Find all of the Mr Nowheres, Coins, and notes. (Is this doable on the easy 4 hour run, or should I just save it for a separate run as it would add too much time ?)

For beating the game with the three different requirements, I used this video today. Just follow it exactly and you'll get all three trophies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFUAhiSWfA

Personally, I saved the collectibles for a separate run to save time and back tracking using this video (Normal difficulty guide):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ln9-AY3keI

goonie

I'll just spoiler tag all of this, just in case!

The four hour limit is pretty generous, especially if you do it on easy with infinite ammo. If you google a collectibles location guide, you can do these trophies at the same time as the speed run. Just make sure to pause while looking for what's coming next.

You won't really have to worry about healing at all. You can use steroids for a full heal if you need it, but it shouldn't even be a problem. If it comes down to it, you can just die and/or retry.

For the Resource Manager trophy, the item boxes I used were:

1. The very first item box to get my unlockables (weapons, infinite ammo, defense items, etc.)

2. Before the Happy Birthday segment with Ethan

3. After the Happy Birthday segment with Ethan

If you don't pick up the grenade launcher in the early game, you can get it when you get to the safe house before the mines. Run past everything there and use the grenade launcher on the fat molded if you need to. Get up that ladder as fast as you can. You may need to pull them to the other side of the room so they don't vomit on you and make you fall.

When you get to the final boss, let her kill you and then choose "Manage Items." This was suggested by other users here, and it doesn't count as an item box use. You can also do this during Jack's final boss fight in the boat house if you need to for some reason.

Other tips:

- Make sure to save before each use of the item box
- Just make sure to save a lot and maybe in different slots
- Don't forget to grab the crank after Happy Birthday with Ethan
- If you take an unlockable that you later wish you didn't (x-ray goggles, walking shoes, etc.), discarding it sends it back to the item box

I think that's all I got...I'll add more if I think of anything!

A few moments ago, I completed this. Getting all the collectibles/beating the game without opening 3 times/healing 3 times. All in one run.

I followed this guide:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191629-resident-evil-7-biohazard/74925177

As my main weapon, I was using the
circular saw
. Shotgun and pistol as well. Since you have infinite ammo, you'll run through shit easily.

Towards the end of the game, I already opened up 3 boxes so my limit was up. So I ran through the very last part of the game with the grenade launcher until I got to the final boss, where you let her kill you so you can "manage items." This let's you take things out from the box without having it affect the achievement.

Use more than 1 save, btw. I used one save to open a box (which put me at 4 boxes opened) and shot the remaining bobbleheads then reloaded another to beat the game, while still having just 3 boxes opened.

Raitaro

conventional zombies
mine

Also, no
giant spiders

Forget those, why oh why didn't Capcom use a cool new way to iterate upon
zombie dogs
by including one of those old, docile
hunting dogs that I believe was even shown in the birthday test picture
that ignored you most of the game while just being somewhere
just like grandma
but which would become another threat to avoid after a certain event (
like Jack infecting it with something
) while it chased you around the house and grounds. That would have been cool imo and it would have made sense for this rural family to own one or even a few
dogs to help guard the place from before they turned

I mean, we have references to
spiders (shadow statue), snakes (doors), ravens (doors) and scorpions (doors), while insects were in fact used as enemies, but no dogs, which is a shame as they are one of the oldest RE tropes and since they could have really gone all out here on a Baker super dog.

OniBaka

Honestly it would had been better if there was zombies, imagine walking through the house and they come through the window like in ReMake. The way the molded show up is lame and not scary.

Manu

Honestly it would had been better if there was zombies, imagine walking through the house and they come through the window like in ReMake. The way the molded show up is lame and not scary.

Zombies are overplayed and not scary at all at this point either. They've become the go-to generic fodder enemy for videogames since the classic RE games came out.

The problem with the molded is the lack of variety, not their design which is, admittedly, pretty good.

Am I supposed to just

Gonna try again tonight.

Don't waste any bullets on him. If he grabs you, just block his attack and continue running

Man, if the garage bit is any indication that this game will be nuts, then I'm in for a wild ride.
Also, it's pretty clear from the beginning that this is tied to the other games in some way even if you don't take into account all the reviews telling you it does.

Astral

Ethan Must Die is ridiculous. I finally made it to the second floor only to be scewered instantly. It was so disheartening. I'm not even mad just devastated lol.

doby

Ethan Must Die is a piece of shit. Completely luck based, I've got as far as the boiler room at which point I had to rage quit having
killed the enemies the game locks you in there with.

It's trial and error + luck + endless persistence.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh hey the garage fight in Madhouse. This was piss in normal and I'm sure it's identical here too. Ok lets just go get the
car keys. FUCK. WHERE ARE THE CAR KEYS?! OH SHIT , JACK! RUN RUUUUUUN!Ooohhh a lockpick. Car keys must be in the box. Fuck off Jack I'm trying to open this. Noooo I took damage from this fight for the first time ever. Yay car keys! Ah now the fight is identical. This is a sign of things to come isn't it?

UberLevi

I'm at the boss fight in the g
reenhouse
and I died a couple of times so I backtracked and managed to grab the
grenade launcher
with one of the keys. I was just wondering if the
flame rounds
work against the
insect swarm
during the boss fight. I need to replace a weapon and thought maybe I could get away with replacing the
flamethrower
if the
grenade launcher
can cause the same effect.

Jobbs

Banned
Man, if the garage bit is any indication that this game will be nuts, then I'm in for a wild ride.
Also, it's pretty clear from the beginning that this is tied to the other games in some way even if you don't take into account all the reviews telling you it does.

At this part I just shot him a bunch and sliced him a buch and then he got in the car and drove around the garage as I avoided him and slashed his head. That was crazy.

Then I watched the beginning part on youtube and saw the fight go totally different. You can grab the keys and get in the car and run him over.. And the whole thing plays out differently.

So good

Ethan Must Die is a piece of shit. Completely luck based, I've got as far as the boiler room at which point I had to rage quit having
killed the enemies the game locks you in there with.

It's trial and error + luck + endless persistence.

You can get pretty far with just using the knife.

doby

I'm at the boss fight in the g
reenhouse
and I died a couple of times so I backtracked and managed to grab the
grenade launcher
with one of the keys. I was just wondering if the
flame rounds
work against the
insect swarm
during the boss fight. I need to replace a weapon and thought maybe I could get away with replacing the
flamethrower
if the
grenade launcher
can cause the same effect.

Locate the insect nests and exterminate them, or just find out where they are and don't go near them. I nailed that bitch without having one swarm come after me just by avoiding the nests.

Steveo

Banned
I'm I the only person surprised by how good RE7 is? The pacing is excellent, story stays pretty interesting most of the game, voice acting is excellent... the art direction is even strong.

Are we sure Capcom made this game? It wasn't From Software or MachineGames?

And if Capcom are still capable of producing this type of quality then why haven't they? Why wasn't Dead Rising 4 better? Where's DMC5? Onimusha? Mega Man? Ghosts & Goblins? Dino Crsis? Final Fight? Lost Planet?

I'm so confused...

Jobbs

Banned
Is the game world paused when I'm looking at the map? Running from something right now and it'd be nice to know

Shawsie64

Banned
About 20 minutes into playing the game and my housemate who has watched the entire game on Youtube intentionally spoiled me by saying:
hes your stepfather
.. Feel a bit deflated, enjoying the game but that's not the only twist right? (No specifics please)

Mesharey

Just started playing it in VR, it's so dark and sometimes can barely see, anything to make the brightness better?

The demo wasn't this dark.

Edit: even the normal game is so dark, I increased the brightness to 2000 even but looks dark.
The only way it looked good is by using HDR, but have to change the cables and stop using the VR. :/

Jake2by4

About 20 minutes into playing the game and my housemate who has watched the entire game on Youtube intentionally spoiled me by saying:
hes your stepfather
.. Feel a bit deflated, enjoying the game but that's not the only twist right? (No specifics please)

no

AEREC

hes your stepfather

I dont even feel like thats a major spoiler...the game didnt really emphasize or make a big deal of it at least.

Top Bottom