• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Is the game world paused when I'm looking at the map? Running from something right now and it'd be nice to know

*asks GAF while running away*

Nope, it's still active when the map's open

I'm I the only person surprised by how good RE7 is? The pacing is excellent, story stays pretty interesting most of the game, voice acting is excellent... the art direction is even strong.

Are we sure Capcom made this game? It wasn't From Software or MachineGames?

And if Capcom are still capable of producing this type of quality then why haven't they? Why wasn't Dead Rising 4 better? Where's DMC5? Onimusha? Mega Man? Ghosts & Goblins? Dino Crsis? Final Fight? Lost Planet?

I'm so confused...

It's nice when a company realizes what made a game great back in the day can still make a game great today

OniBaka

Zombies are overplayed and not scary at all at this point either. They've become the go-to generic fodder enemy for videogames since the classic RE games came out.

The problem with the molded is the lack of variety, not their design which is, admittedly, pretty good.

Their design is pretty boring imo and zombies can still cause quite a scare if used right. The recent RE3.5 fan made game had one zombie but it was tense due how atmosphere and sound design.

holy shit
, that are of the second floor where you find the little girl is fucked up
by the way, I reached the trailer and opened the fridge and found the pig head. how far I am in? 50%?

bumpkin

Really? The few reviews I've seen being put out have been super positive.

Metro- Game review: Resident Evil 7 Banned Footage Vol. 1 is some great DLC

Pushsquare - Much like the core campaign, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard's first DLC drop is a pleasant surprise. Comprising of a mismatch of modes and bonus content, Banned Footage Vol. 1 isn't the most consistent expansion that you'll ever encounter, but it is one of the better ones

Kotaku - Banned Footage Vol. 1 offers a lot of cool stuff and will definitely scratch the itch of anyone who wanted more challenge from the original game.

The Verge - For the most part, this structure works great. “Bedroom” offers a near-perfect balance of puzzle-solving and sheer terror, and provides a really clever expansion of the formula laid down in Resident Evil 7.
Hmm... So the season pass is $29.99, the first DLC pack alone is $9.99, and the second (announced) is $14.99 alone. I wonder what the third pack will cost. Usually the season pass prices are a $5-10 discount over getting them separately.

Nope, it's still active when the map's open
Shades of Zombi, no doubt.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hmm... So the season pass is $29.99, the first DLC pack alone is $9.99, and the second (announced) is $14.99 alone. I wonder what the third pack will cost. Usually the season pass prices are a $5-10 discount over getting them separately.

Shades of Zombi, no doubt.

Isn't that just the free May DLC? Or will there be one more on top?

I dont even feel like thats a major spoiler...the game didnt really emphasize or make a big deal of it at least.

I've beaten the game twice now, and I don't even know what the spoiler is referring to.

Is it about Jack
calling Ethan "son"
? If so, I don't think that is meant to be taken literally. It doesn't mean he's actually
Ethan's stepfather

Unless I missed something else completely.

how long is the first dlc?

Bedroom is like 20-40 minutes depending how long it takes you on the puzzles, and is great but has no replay value.

Nightmare takes like 45min to an 60min to beat but it's pretty hard to beat on your first try and there's lots of stuff to unlock, plus another mode that unlocks when you beat it, so it has lots of replay value.

Ethan Must Die I haven't played much of but it's hard as balls and seems to have high replay value (or just takes forever to beat idk).

It's a pretty good amount of content for $10 I'd say. But Bedroom feels like the closest to the campaign and it's easily the shortest. The DLC is growing on me though, I've been having fun with Nightmare mode playing a round a night. Probably gonna spend more time with EMD and see if it doesn't suck as bad as my first impressions led me to believe.

It should take you a couple hours at least, as long as you actually dive into Nightmare and Ethan Must Die.

Bedroom is like 20-40 minutes depending how long it takes you on the puzzles, and is great but has no replay value.

Nightmare takes like 45min to an 60min to beat but it's pretty hard to beat on your first try and there's lots of stuff to unlock, plus another mode that unlocks when you beat it, so it has lots of replay value.

Ethan Must Die I haven't played much of but it's hard as balls and seems to have high replay value (or just takes forever to beat idk).

It's a pretty good amount of content for $10 I'd say. But Bedroom feels like the closest to the campaign and it's easily the shortest. The DLC is growing on me though, I've been having fun with Nightmare mode playing a round a night. Probably gonna spend more time with EMD and see if it doesn't suck as bad as my first impressions led me to believe.

It should take you a couple hours at least, as long as you actually dive into Nightmare and Ethan Must Die.

awesome, will probably get the season pass when is a bit cheaper

Wow, madhouse mode is absolutely brutal.

Finished the game on normal an hour or so ago. So impressed. It really is a return to resident evils foundations. Aside from the last section being meh, the game is a ten

bumpkin

Hmm... Thanks for the assessment.

I bought Batman at $16 (Best Buy GCU) and that was beatable without doing everything in an hour and change. I think I ended up getting about 2.5-3 hours out of it after getting all of the trophies. And I have gone back every so often and replayed it just to experience the world in VR again. So maybe I'll bite on the RE7 season pass, it's just a bummer that it isn't all playable in VR.

Piichan

Banned
Going through Madhouse mode right now, about 70 percent through the game. I love how this mode mixes up some of the enemies and item placement.

Any good 4 hour guides out there?

It's not too difficult. I would recommend it on Easy though. I did my first actual run on Normal and for my 4 Hour run I did it on Easy today. Not too hard to remember most of what to do. Only looked at a Speed Run for one part
(second half of the wrecked ship after viewing the Video Tape)
for the quickest route so that I could make sure I finished it in time. I did, with massive time to spare. Here is my time for my 4 Hour run:

Screenshot-Original.png

What's with Banned footage not coming out until 21st on PC? It's bullshit.

It is the same for Xbox One. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Zakalwe

Banned
About 20 minutes into playing the game and my housemate who has watched the entire game on Youtube intentionally spoiled me by saying:
hes your stepfather
.. Feel a bit deflated, enjoying the game but that's not the only twist right? (No specifics please)

Your friend didn't spoil anything, don't worry.

Spoilers to explain the relationships if anyone's unclear, spoils the entire story so be warned:

Mia and Alan were transporting Evie from one Umbrella compound to another.

The accident happens and the ship crashes, the Baker's find the only survivors: Evie and Mia (note: the Baker's have no relation to Mia or Ethan) and take them in.

Evie begins/continues infecting/controlling the Bakers and Mia.

Evie begins aging rapidly. This is mentioned in a file you find later in the game (a genetic flaw or fail safe of some kind in their bio-weapon).

There was never any Grandma Baker, when we see the old women at the dinner table this is simply Evie in her true form having aged rapidly since they found her in her child form.

The family talk: "son", "daddy", "'mummy", all stems from an imprint made on Evie that was supposed to allow Mia a certain amount of control. There are files found in game that also speculate that Evie latched onto the idea of family due to her nature as a creature that "brings people together" in unified group, or perhaps even due to her lack of a family when she grew up.

Keihart

Their design is pretty boring imo and zombies can still cause quite a scare if used right. The recent RE3.5 fan made game had one zombie but it was tense due how atmosphere and sound design.

I would have also preffered zombies instead of mold enemies, but i think the molds are there to make production faster while not compromising the vision of the game.

What i mean is that, the Bakers are the zombies in this game, and every zombie you encounter is a unique individual. Replacing the mold ones with zombies would have required making every zombie unique to keep the illusion son instead, since they are filler enemies, they opted for the molded desing wich is a faceless enemy.

I hope that if RE8 follows this formula, they double down on unique enemies, meaning that every zombie is a unique character and no more faceless filler like the molded ones.

Zakalwe

Banned
"Faceless filler" is required. It's all about pacing. A game that set you up against only unique enemies would be too one sided, sometimes you need to allow the player to let off some steam by mowing through some "lesser" threats.

If it had just been running/hiding from regenerating Baker's it would have been exhausting, imo.

The Molded are a great design and very well implemented imo. There could have been a few more types or behaviors, but I didn't ever find myself growing bored of fighting them.

But then I also think the latter part of game that becomes
more of an FPS
is wonderful too, I really love how the tone and gameplay shifts throughout.

Alxjn

more of an FPS

I really loved that too. It somewhat reminded me of the shift in The Hills Have Eyes.

Keihart

"Faceless filler" is required. It's all about pacing. A game that set you up against only unique enemies would be too one sided, sometimes you need to allow the player to let off some steam by mowing through some "lesser" threats.

If it had just been running/hiding from regenerating Baker's it would have been exhausting, imo.

The Molded are a great design and very well implemented imo. There could have been a few more types or behaviors, but I didn't ever find myself growing bored of fighting them.

more of an FPS

To be fair, if there were more moments where there is urgency to stop the Bakers by force you would get more than enough moments to unload, but i get the thing about pacing. They really are there to let you feel empowered towards the end although i enjoyed more unloading on Jack and wife when i didn't felt like hiding than unloading on molded. Really great RE, is my favorite since code Veronica and with 6 i though i was done with the franchise, what a surprise.

Newboi

I finished my madhouse run. I'll probably do one more playthrough to test out infinite ammo, then I'll call it quits for RE7. I've enjoyed the crap out of this game. I definitely feel that I got my moneys worth. I'll come back to it when
Not a Hero
becomes available.

I finished my madhouse run. I'll probably do one more playthrough to test out infinite ammo, then I'll call it quits for RE7. I've enjoyed the crap out of this game. I definitely feel that I got my moneys worth. I'll come back to it when
Not a Hero
becomes available.

What part is the madhouse? I'm 10hrs in, so I must have completed it surely.

"Item vision"? Or does it mark them on the map too?

Because if it's just item vision that sounds pointless. I can look around and find everything without it.

It doesn't mark the items on the map.

I'm not sure how far you are, but once you've opened up most of the mansion. It's not a bad idea to use one and just run through the mansion in case you missed anything. You never know.

UberLevi

Yo, I just made it to the
crashed ship
and fuck, this game is so good. This is definitely Resident Evil at heart and I'm excited to see where it goes next if this is the direction they're taking it in. This game plays like a perfect pairing between survival horror shooters like The Evil Within, Dead Space, and RE4, and the anxiety and immersion that comes with games like Amnesia and Outlast. This game is fun enough to make me keep pressing on despite fear of what might happen around every corner, and honestly that's what a good horror game should be.

Jobbs

Banned
yeah, this is one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I say this as someone who doesn't like FPS and strongly objected to this game being an FPS.

I'd recommend this even to people who aren't usually fans of the genre simply because it's that good.

And whatever magic sauce Capcom used in this engine is working.. I can't believe how good it looks + solid 60 on PS4. Highest marks for presentation. The game simply wouldn't be as good at 30 fps. More devs need to understand this.

So I took a look at the bookshelves in the Baker house, and I discovered that most of them are taken wholesale from the original Dead Rising. Murder in Cleveland is the Criminal Biography skill book and Wartime Photojournalism is the book that'd give you a PP bonus for photos. Pretty crazy how the assets were good enough to be used over a decade later.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm just curious about how many assets they just took from Dead Rising:

RE7
Dead Rising

Inside

So I took a look at the bookshelves in the Baker house, and I discovered that most of them are taken wholesale from the original Dead Rising. Murder in Cleveland is the Criminal Biography skill book and Wartime Photojournalism is the book that'd give you a PP bonus for photos. Pretty crazy how the assets were good enough to be used over a decade later.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm just curious about how many assets they just took from Dead Rising:

RE7
Dead Rising

Thats crazy! nice find.

BBboy20

I just checked.the whole Baker plantation with
xrays
and have yet to find two more lock picks on Madhouse. Are they that limited?

I found one on gamefaq's that was two posts long. Bullet points of exactly where to go and what to do.

Did it in 2 hours 38

It did omit the
grenade launcher
though so that sucks.....

Doing an 'all collectibles' and general mop up trophy run now (like crafting one of each thing) for example

That Item you get for completing it in under 4 hours is hilarious. Everything down in seconds.

gconsole

I'm I the only person surprised by how good RE7 is? The pacing is excellent, story stays pretty interesting most of the game, voice acting is excellent... the art direction is even strong.

Are we sure Capcom made this game? It wasn't From Software or MachineGames?

And if Capcom are still capable of producing this type of quality then why haven't they? Why wasn't Dead Rising 4 better? Where's DMC5? Onimusha? Mega Man? Ghosts & Goblins? Dino Crsis? Final Fight? Lost Planet?

I'm so confused...

More than half of the list you gave is just because they dont make it. Not because they make it bad.

I understand the rationale behind Capcom hatres in the past few years. Buy i never understand the doubt about them being able to make a good games. Obviously it went down hill from time to time but they are still giving us not just good but great game in every generation since FC.

Im confused trying to understand your point too.

Spoo

If you are planning on getting the platinum, and you're really concerned about this, play madhouse mode first and get the
infinite ammo
unlock.

My best run (and I've only done one NG+ Any% so far) is 1hr and 52 minutes, and the route I used is just to get the
magnum at the start of the game (get 7 coins in the house, +1 for the dirty coin, and +1 inside the trailer), then buy the magnum and equip the infinite ammo unlock. At that point, you basically 1 shot all regular monsters (on easy), and 4 shot bosses. Magnum has 7 rounds in the clip, so you're not likely to have any problem whatsoever.

Since you don't need any other weapons / items past that, you're free to just go straight to the key items and finish up the game. Your time unless you're using speed strats will likely be closer to 2:45-3hr, depending on your recollection of the game, but that's still plenty of time.

This is the easiest, most stress free way to get the speedrun achievement, but it is predicated on a madhouse completion. (it's also, like, really fucking fun to do, since the
magnum
is awesome)

edit: also, you should have the
saw
, so you know, go to town on early bosses and have them dead really, really fast (the
albert handgun can also be used, as you get inf ammo for the high-calibre rounds
that hit like tanks.)

Started my Madhouse run last night. Jesus Christ, what an increase in difficulty....

Will things get easier after
Mia
? Spent more than 2 hours trying to win the fight.... :| :|

Spoo

Started my Madhouse run last night. Jesus Christ, what an increase in difficulty....

Will things get easier after
Mia
? Spent more than 2 hours trying to win the fight.... :| :|

Way easier. Once you get the
saw from the storage box you'll destroy almost everything instantly

myco666

If you are planning on getting the platinum, and you're really concerned about this, play madhouse mode first and get the
infinite ammo
unlock.

My best run (and I've only done one NG+ Any% so far) is 1hr and 52 minutes, and the route I used is just to get the
magnum at the start of the game (get 7 coins in the house, +1 for the dirty coin, and +1 inside the trailer), then buy the magnum and equip the infinite ammo unlock. At that point, you basically 1 shot all regular monsters (on easy), and 4 shot bosses. Magnum has 7 rounds in the clip, so you're not likely to have any problem whatsoever.

Since you don't need any other weapons / items past that, you're free to just go straight to the key items and finish up the game. Your time unless you're using speed strats will likely be closer to 2:45-3hr, depending on your recollection of the game, but that's still plenty of time.

This is the easiest, most stress free way to get the speedrun achievement, but it is predicated on a madhouse completion. (it's also, like, really fucking fun to do, since the
magnum
is awesome)

edit: also, you should have the
saw
, so you know, go to town on early bosses and have them dead really, really fast (the
albert handgun can also be used, as you get inf ammo for the high-calibre rounds
that hit like tanks.)

You get the saw from speedrun. Honestly best way is to do speedrun/3 item box uses/3 health items on easy and then madhouse. This way you have all unlocks and on easy that run is really easy.

Spoo

When and how do I get that? I didn't have it on my normal run....

Apparently it's a reward for completing the game in under 4 hours -- which I had remembered as being a reward for finishing normal mode :\.

If you want madhouse to be easier, then you can go for the speedrun on easy.

"Item vision"? Or does it mark them on the map too?

Because if it's just item vision that sounds pointless. I can look around and find everything without it.

well sure, but it makes you NOT have to look around, just beeline to items. And some coins are pretty well hidden so it is helpful. I think i used them twice in my original run just to spot items in some of the larger locations.

Top Bottom