• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Beef

Finished tonight, what a great experience. Certainly one of my favorite Resident Evil games, perhaps with RE1 (nostalgia) beings its major contender.

My only complaint is that for my taste (nitpicking), the adventure on normal is just too easy. I assume this is secondary to the game being more "horror" and less "survival-horror," but the unlimited saves, abundant ammo and lack of difficult mobs / bosses made the game feel like a walking simulator in many locations. I would have much preferred the ability to pick the madhouse difficulty from the start, as it seems to fix multiple issues (limited saves, more mobs, ammo scarcity).

Absolutely worth playing as a fan of the horror or survival horror genres.

Zeusy

Did my speed run earlier today, clocked in at 3:08 total...Ugh wish I did it quicker! On to beating madhouse tomorrow

Just reading about madhouse mode. Even if you play it on normal, will the enemies be any tougher? I've read things like jack runs faster.

I'm still on my first playthrough and I'm assuming I'm nearing the end of the game, and I'm finding I'm having too much ammo and weapons. I'm even taking enemies down with the knife.

myco666

Yeah this game gives you ton of ammo. I think I had 60 shotgun rounds, 100 pistol rounds and all kinds of other shit for the last section. Doesn't help that you don't need anything other than the regular handgun and knife for majority of the game.

Just reading about madhouse mode. Even if you play it on normal, will the enemies be any tougher? I've read things like jack runs faster.

I'm still on my first playthrough and I'm assuming I'm nearing the end of the game, and I'm finding I'm having too much ammo and weapons. I'm even taking enemies down with the knife.

Like I said, just started it last night and it's crazy.
If Jack sees me it's 99% game over :|

Yeah this game gives you ton of ammo. I think I had 60 shotgun rounds, 100 pistol rounds and all kinds of other shit for the last section. Doesn't help that you don't need anything other than the regular handgun and knife for majority of the game.
It's not much different than the old REs though. I just replayed them recently and (on normal at least) in every single game you end up having tons of ammo over time. In same game it takes longer (RE1 & CV), in others you stack up on ammo much faster (RE2 & 3). But overall ammo is never really a problem. Well, at least if your used to play this genre. But you always have to keep in mind that the game is not just designed for players like us but also for everyone else. Remember several people saying they ran out of ammo in RE4. I was like.... what?

Spoo

Here's something I wrote up for people who have no unlocks and wish to do the speedrun achievement. Don't be intimidated by this achievement -- it's not difficult as long as you know where you're supposed to go next, which is what this should cover.

If there are any errors here please let me know and I'll fix them. It's 3 am here so I may have made a mistake or two.

http://pastebin.com/Z7Yb43LQ

edit: This guide covers important pick ups, and ammo, but not everything. You should probably be grabbing stuff as needed (handgun bullets / 1 heal item at all times, etc)

kromeo

I think the only game I ever completely ran out of ammo at any point was 0, and that was only because I wasted it all on the leech Marcus'

myco666

It's not much different than the old REs though. I just replayed them recently and (on normal at least) in every single game you end up having tons of ammo over time. In same game it takes longer (RE1 & CV), in others you stack up on ammo much faster (RE2 & 3). But overall ammo is never really a problem. Well, at least if your used to play this genre. But you always have to keep in mind that the game is not just designed for players like us but also for everyone else. Remember several people saying they ran out of ammo in RE4. I was like.... what?

While ammo is never really a problem even in old games in this game you get even more ammo. With all the ammo I had in the end I also had ton of chem fluids, gun powder and solid fuel. So even if you kill everything with guns you should still end up with too much ammo. There really should have been a hard mode in this game.

And how the hell does someone run out of ammo in 4? Like you have so much ammo at all times outside of the very beginning.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the only game I ever completely ran out of ammo at any point was 0, and that was only because I wasted it all on the leech Marcus'

To be frankly honest I think out of all the RE games, Zero is the stingiest with its supplies. On-top of this there's also many areas where it's nigh impossible (or at least highly inconvenient) to get by enemies without taking hits, making you have fewer choices to run or kill than usual.

In many of the older RE games I try to get by letting as many enemies live as I can, especially in areas they're easily avoidable, but Zero there's very few places you can really leave zombies alive without them becoming a problem. A lot more narrow corridors and you end up going back to rooms more often than most games (Not specific rooms, almost every room. Coincidentally most of the rooms that don't have enemies in them are ones you don't need to return to)..

So in combination of the game being stingier with its supplies than the series usually is, and more rooms where skipping enemies is much harder (especially when keeping in mind many rooms you end up visiting more than once anyway in the game with very few exceptions), and I would say it is definitely the RE game that's hardest on your supplies out of all of them.

myco666

Not quite what you want, but you'll probably dig Ethan Must Die if you want something that will really make you feel the loss of every bullet.

I like the idea of EMD but lack of checkpoints and saves is really make it not fun. Also add the fact that enemies hit like a truck so you if you get hit you might as well give up and start over.

mxgt

Banned
Finished speed run last night at 2hr 50 mins, and I wasted plenty of time messing about and killing stuff.

Was pretty fun, but the unskippable sections where control gets taken away are a real killer for speed running.

Looking forward to starting Madhouse tonight

BBboy20

Yo, you can't use all the found coins to unlock all the birdcages in Madhouse?
Like it seems like you have to use the stat boosting coins to unlock the last cage unless you use the demo coin and just one of the other stat boosters (at least, the pre-orderable coin)?

Here's something I wrote up for people who have no unlocks and wish to do the speedrun achievement. Don't be intimidated by this achievement -- it's not difficult as long as you know where you're supposed to go next, which is what this should cover.

If there are any errors here please let me know and I'll fix them. It's 3 am here so I may have made a mistake or two.

http://pastebin.com/Z7Yb43LQ

edit: This guide covers important pick ups, and ammo, but not everything. You should probably be grabbing stuff as needed (handgun bullets / 1 heal item at all times, etc)

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Cheers!

DKL

Like I said, just started it last night and it's crazy.
If Jack sees me it's 99% game over :|

Madhouse isn't as bad as people make it out to be, to be honest.

I picked the difficulty to start the game with and the most annoying thing about it is, if you don't know which sequences are unskippable and long (which is another issue I have with the game: I'm sometimes sat there waiting for scripting to crawl to something I can actually play), you save in a bad spot where you have to watch all the nonsense over and over whenever you want to retry an encounter.

I'm assuming you avoid this once you actually play through the whole thing and map out the optimal save points.

Funnily, I learned how to play the game by kiting enemies... which is actually an incorrect way of playing the game.

I don't know if it's because I started on Madhouse, but I always assumed that blocking was useless because of the damage buffs...

When it turns out that it trivializes almost any encounter, even the boss-type enemies.

I tested it and, at full health, you can actually take like 260% more hits if you just sit there and hold the block button.

It was so good that, just as an experiment, I downed
the version of Jack that chases you around on the second floor
like 3-4 times or something before running out of ammo and letting it kill me.

So like... what you do in most situations is run up to an enemy, block a hit, then run past it once it's in recovery frames.

(sometimes, they don't even swing at you and stare at you like a twat, which was kind of funny)

You don't really need to kill most things in the game, so you'll like be overflowing with ammo at some point if you just repeat this for unnecessary encounters.

The game also allows you to despawn enemies by running in and out of rooms. Once, there was this scumbag in front of a door I needed to get at, but he was in the way, so I just ran in and out of the room until he despawned and gave me access to the save room (which is the most guaranteed way of despawning anything since they don't chase you inside).

Madhouse isn't as bad as people make it out to be, to be honest.

I picked the difficulty to start the game with and the most annoying thing about it is, if you don't know which sequences are unskippable and long (which is another issue I have with the game: I'm sometimes sat there waiting for scripting to crawl to something I can actually play), you save in a bad spot where you have to watch all the nonsense over and over whenever you want to retry an encounter.

I'm assuming you avoid this once you actually play through the whole thing and map out the optimal save points.

Funnily, I learned how to play the game by kiting enemies... which is actually an incorrect way of playing the game.

I don't know if it's because I started on Madhouse, but I always assumed that blocking was useless because of the damage buffs...

When it turns out that it trivializes almost any encounter, even the boss-type enemies.

I tested it and, at full health, you can actually take like 260% more hits if you just sit there and hold the block button.

It was so good that, just as an experiment, I downed
the version of Jack that chases you around on the second floor
like 3-4 times or something before running out of ammo and letting it kill me.

So like... what you do in most situations is run up to an enemy, block a hit, then run past it once it's in recovery frames.

(sometimes, they don't even swing at you and stare at you like a twat, which was kind of funny)

You don't really need to kill most things in the game, so you'll like be overflowing with ammo at some point if you just repeat this for unnecessary encounters.

The game also allows you to despawn enemies by running in and out of rooms. Once, there was this scumbag in front of a door I needed to get at, but he was in the way, so I just ran in and out of the room until he despawned and gave me access to the save room (which is the most guaranteed way of despawning anything since they don't chase you inside).

I agree. Sometimes it actually removes that enemy forever. It's also good to get
jack
off your tail if he starts to get close.

With the
Circular saw
i'd imagine enemies are even easier

DKL

I agree. Sometimes it actually removes that enemy forever. It's also good to get
jack
off your tail if he starts to get close.

With the
Circular saw
i'd imagine enemies are even easier

The funny thing is that they supposedly design it around a second playthrough, but you get like an
upgraded gun that I assume is actually very powerful... at least relative to the regular gun.

But yeah... blocking is the tech to winning and I wish I knew this from the very beginning.

Dusk Golem

I'll say that RE7 has given me quite an urge to replay Haunting Ground recently. Parts of RE7 heavily reminded me of HG despite both also being pretty different.

So I decided to start a new file and 2 new crazy things happened that I never saw up to the garage fight point.
first thing, I was trying to jump into the hole in the floor and Jack fucking took my leg off! Then I had to crawl and reattach it with first aid! Then when I fought him I just jumped in the car immediately and the fucker took us for a ride and killed himself!
like holy shit. I hope more optional stuff like this is in the game.

Dusk Golem

So I decided to start a new file and 2 new crazy things happened that I never saw up to the garage fight point.
first thing, I was trying to jump into the hole in the floor and Jack fucking took my leg off! Then I had to crawl and reattach it with first aid! Then when I fought him I just jumped in the car immediately and the fucker took us for a ride and killed himself!
like holy shit. I hope more optional stuff like this is in the game.

What blew my mind more was finding out
regular Molded can very, very rarely remove your leg as well.

I guess it wasn't a
B side
after all. I was a little disappointed when it flipped back to
Ethan

Interesting that the Japanese version uses the word "mold."

Mi goreng

Not so far in.
When the father with the shovel is chasing you around the house is there a way to lose him/kill him/evade him?
it's kinda annoying having to be mindful of him being behind me everywhere I go. I managed to kill one of those
black gooey monsters.
after emptying my entire pistol clip and then slashing once with my knife lol.

Not so far in.
When the father with the shovel is chasing you around the house is there a way to lose him/kill him/evade him?
it's kinda annoying having to be mindful of him being behind me everywhere I go. I managed to kill one of those
black gooey monsters.

Aim for the head on both accounts.

They go down pretty quick.

Dusk Golem

Not so far in.
black gooey monsters.

Few tips:

-If you shoot him you can disable him for 2-3 minutes by taking him down, but won't permanently kill him. Though he'll get up and continue wandering from where you downed him.
-Jack and other enemies won't follow you into Save Rooms, they are 100% safe.
-It's often easy enough to block him once or make him swing to stagger him and then run ahead a bit to lose him.

Social

Finished this yesterday evening on PS4 in VR and it was by far the best Resident Evil experience I have ever had.

I've already sold it (demand was crazy) but will dive in again once it hits budget pricing with all DLC. Really amazing game.

The
mine
area and
final boss
fight suck. Looking back, I liked the
ship
and it wasn't what I was expecting it to me, given some of the talk on this board. It very much felt like the same puzzle gameplay that preceded it.

noomi

So I had tried the new DLC.

Bedroom was very cool.

Nightmare was... kind of fun for a little while....

Ethan Must Die....was not that good.

Yeah, in most of the older games, after a certain amount of progress, you realize idea of limited supplies was just in your head. In RE1 especially when you get to the end and you look in your box and see tons of ammo and think "wow I coulda shot some more Hunters"

RE1 and RE7 are pretty conservative and have the right balance toward the beginning though, where you have just the right amount of supplies (which are usually nearly depleted after a major encounter)

myco666

I'll say that RE7 has given me quite an urge to replay Haunting Ground recently. Parts of RE7 heavily reminded me of HG despite both also being pretty different.

I really need to replay this again. Maybe I could have a better experience now.

Just unlocked infinite ammo. Gonna play thru one more time...everything will die...

I really hate how the infinite ammo still makes you reload. Want to be able to just spam R2 with shotgun.

Bedroom was very cool.

My thoughts exactly. Need to put more time on EMD but initial impression isn't great.

h0tp0ck3t

I just realized you can use the millions of separator fluids they give you on Madhouse on stacks of useless handgun ammo. Now I just need some herbs for all these chemicals lol

EDIT: It works on Burner fluid too!

I just realized you can use the millions of separator fluids they give you on Madhouse on stacks of useless handgun ammo. Now I just need some herbs for all these chemicals lol

EDIT: It works on Burner fluid too!

Yep early on they even give you Neuro Rounds next to a Separator for the purpose of getting more Chem Fluid out of

They really added a lot more levels of depth to Madhouse

Curufinwe

How difficult is it to beat the game in under 4 hours on Easy on a 2nd playthru?

Obviously, I have a pretty good idea of where to go and what to do, but is it worth using a guide to make sure I don't finish at 4:30?

h0tp0ck3t

Bedroom was very cool.

Ethan Must Die is like Binding of Isaac to me. The more I fuck up and get pissed off the more I want to play it lol

How difficult is it o beat the game in under 4 hours on Easy on a 2nd playthru?

Obviously, I have a pretty good idea of where to go and what to do, but is it worth using a guide to make sure I don't finish at 4:30?

Its very easy. I didn't use a guide and finished in about 3 hours. I was alittle more reckless then I needed to be

How difficult is it o beat the game in under 4 hours on Easy on a 2nd playthru?

I used a guide that was bulletpoints from gamefaqs and I died on
giant jack
a few times because I forgot the
grenade launcher
and I still smashed it out in 2 hour 38

I did the no 3 item box and no 3 heals too at the same time. Knife and blocking and running.

The ammo just use on the bosses. Piss easy.

Astral

Son of a bitch I hate this file trophy. I just got to the trailer and have 6 so far but apparently I missed one in the game's prologue where you find the bolt cutters.
When you go back there at the end of the game can I go to that area and read it?

Son of a bitch I hate this file trophy. I just got to the trailer and have 6 so far but apparently I missed one in the game's prologue where you find the bolt cutters.
When you go back there at the end of the game can I go to that area and read it?

I'd love to tell you yes but I'm pretty sure they change from the Swamp Gators video to the Ethan run through so..... I wouldn't like to say

Pinky

Banned
Looks like I got a late start on the game compared to most here. Think I’m about halfway done though.
I now have the blue and red key cards to attend Lucas’ “party”.

Just gotta share how fucked up the
Happy Birthday VHS Tape segment
was. Creepy as fuck and totally messed up!
That freakin’ animatronic corpse clown, the room full of balloons(scared the shit out of me when I walked in. I thought they were enemies, lol), the water balloon exploding and launching the quill pen right into your abdomen, and, finally, walking towards the cake with your lit candle only to see all the lights go out and hear creepy ass voices singing to you. Then, after all that shit, you place the candle in the cake and the room goes up in flames and you fucking burn to death.
Merciless and psychotic!
I loved it!

Zakalwe

Banned
Finished tonight, what a great experience. Certainly one of my favorite Resident Evil games, perhaps with RE1 (nostalgia) beings its major contender.

My only complaint is that for my taste (nitpicking), the adventure on normal is just too easy. I assume this is secondary to the game being more "horror" and less "survival-horror," but the unlimited saves, abundant ammo and lack of difficult mobs / bosses made the game feel like a walking simulator in many locations. I would have much preferred the ability to pick the madhouse difficulty from the start, as it seems to fix multiple issues (limited saves, more mobs, ammo scarcity).

Absolutely worth playing as a fan of the horror or survival horror genres.

Madhouse is the proper experience. It's kicking my arse in places and I love it!

Pinky

Banned
Question: Do you eventually fight the
creepy old lady in the wheelchair
? It's creeping me out how
she keeps randomly showing up in different areas of the house. I feel like there's more to her than meets the eye.
A simple yes or no would be appreciated. :)

Top Bottom