• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

ekgrey

Hey so I just finished the
Old Tape
and am back in
the ship, playing as Mia. I am still unarmed - found the machine gun in the Captain's Cabin but can't open the locker yet.
Just wondering how much I have left?

edit: also, how many endings are there? Does
choosing who to give the serum to
change much?

ekgrey

Ah, wow. So my ending is already determined. Hmm. Glad I have a save before that, but not super excited about replaying that much just yet. Is there a good vs. bad ending? Or a "true" (canon) ending?

Wink

Ah, wow. So my ending is already determined. Hmm. Glad I have a save before that, but not super excited about replaying that much just yet. Is there a good vs. bad ending? Or a "true" (canon) ending?

The left choice is canon, presumably.
It's not changing much, just check the differences on YouTube.

dcx4610

So I just started the game (on PC) and it's interesting but am I wrong in thinking the graphics are kind of bad? I'm playing on the highest settings at 2k resolution and it just doesn't look good. Am I doing something wrong or is it just Capcom?

Maledict

So I just started the game (on PC) and it's interesting but am I wrong in thinking the graphics are kind of bad? I'm playing on the highest settings at 2k resolution and it just doesn't look good. Am I doing something wrong or is it just Capcom?

Um, I'm playing on my PSPro and I think the game looks amazing. One of the best looking games this gen.

ekgrey

Alright, cool. Thanks y'all. I think I might wait to replay it after I beat it. I'm on XB1 and the framerate is pretty rough at times. Hopefully I'll have the option of playing on PS4 of PC soon.

edit:
Um, I'm playing on my PSPro and I think the game looks amazing. One of the best looking games this gen.

Really? Again, I'm on the weaker system, but I have a hard time imagining it looking a whole lot better. I love the game, absolutely adore it, but graphically impressive it is not. I had just assumed that it was built with PSVR as the lead platform, so the graphics had to be a bit simpler than they'd otherwise be. Frankly, apart from the resolution, I'd say it looks like a (good) last-gen game, or maybe an 8th gen launch title.

GRaider81

Bad in what way? Looked great to me on PC ultra 1440p. Only issue I had was shadow s in opening kitchen scene. Game looks great otherwise.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Yes one ending is good and one ending is bad tho, do expect any big reveals for either.

Pinky

Banned
On my second playthrough. Damn... As it stands, I'm a hopeless cause as far as completing this in 4 hours or less. I've been hustling like crazy and just got the
red and blue keycards
and I'm already at the 3 hour mark. I'd feel a little more hopeful if it wasn't for that damn
wrecked ship in the swamp. Remembering what order to do everything in is a pain in the ass for me.
I guess the key will be several playthroughs until I know this game like the back of my hand. My problem is I'm an ammo whore. Got to scoop up every round I come across. Maybe watching some speed runs will help as well. Regardless, my time up to this point is vastly improved, so maybe there's hope for me down the road.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
OAs it stands, I'm a hopeless cause as far as completing this in 4 hours or less. I've been hustling like crazy and just got the
red and blue keycards
and I'm already at the 3 hour mark.

Holy hot damn. Yeah forget that run hahaha.

On my second playthrough. Damn... As it stands, I'm a hopeless cause as far as completing this in 4 hours or less. I've been hustling like crazy and just got the
red and blue keycards
and I'm already at the 3 hour mark. I'd feel a little more hopeful if it wasn't for that damn
wrecked ship in the swamp. Remembering what order to do everything in is a pain in the ass for me.
I guess the key will be several playthroughs until I know this game like the back of my hand. My problem is I'm an ammo whore. Got to scoop up every round I come across. Maybe watching some speed runs will help as well. Regardless, my time up to this point is vastly improved, so maybe there's hope for me down the road.

You get infinite ammo if you beat Madhouse. I did Madhouse before doing a speed run which made it pretty easy.

That way you don't have to horde ammo. You only have to worry about the key items at that point.

it's most likely the AA solution you chose + chromatic aberration being on.

Pinky

Banned
Holy hot damn. Yeah forget that run hahaha.

Hey now! Don't give up on me yet. Maybe after 50 consecutive runs, I might be able to do it. :p

In all seriousness, my issue is pressure from the clock. Being in a hurry, I get sloppy and forget shit and have to backtrack a lot. I need some major repetition and sharp memory to stand a chance.

You get infinite ammo if you beat Madhouse. I did Madhouse before doing a speed run which made it pretty easy.

That way you don't have to horde ammo. You only have to worry about the key items at that point.

True, but Madhouse intimidates me. I was hoping to get the circular saw before attempting it.

Astral Dog

I think it looks good except for the texture loading and some character models.

Playing RE5 today. really surprised how much better 7 looks

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hey now! Don't give up on me yet. Maybe after 50 consecutive runs, I might be able to do it. :p

In all seriousness, my issue is pressure from the clock. Being in a hurry, I get sloppy and forget shit and have to backtrack a lot. I need some major repetition and sharp memory to stand a chance.

Press pause and think when you need it. It stops the clock entirely. Every time I got to a new big item/key part, I paused and thought about where to go/what to do.

Grisby

So when can I no longer go back to the Baker House? Of which I'm assuming will happen?

I just went into
Lucas's SAW
deal.

Also, shouldn't have gone into the community thread as they;re dropping some open spoilers in there, :(

Jawmuncher

It does but RE7 looks far prettier and realistic.
Im just surprised at people calling the graphics downright bad,the major problem are the loading textures imo.

I mean RE7 runs into some of the same issues of RE4-6 as well. Mainly in the outdoor environments. They all look rather meh. Interior's though are good.

Randomizer

Add me to the list of crow eaters. This game is absolutely incredible and extremely worthy of the Resident Evil name. It does have it's issues, particularly the lack enemy variety, insultingly easy puzzles and it's less open design in comparison to the classic survival horror RE of old. But as an overall experience and package it was wonderfully designed and expertly executed.

Buckle

Finally playing this tomorrow. My only concern is that it seems a bit linear and short.
It is short but I'd say its full of highs with not alot of lows.

Exploration isn't huge but there are various areas you'll pass through and come back to when you unlock the means pass them. Game takes a lot of inspiration from RE1 and you can feel it.

It does but RE7 looks far prettier and realistic.
Im just surprised at people calling the graphics downright bad,the major problem are the loading textures imo.

Interiors are jaw dropping. I started Madhouse and just spent like 15 minutes in the laundry room looking at all the details. I loooove the lighting on reflective surfaces in this game. Holding a shiny pistol with that lovely DOF effect and having the underside of the barrel illuminated with warm orange light from the cassette player is bae. Art direction is superb too. The Baker home is one the most meticulously detailed and lovingly handcrafted settings of any game.

Outdoors doesn't look as good though mostly because the foliage is pretty weak. There are some weaker textures here and there throughout the whole game too, but for the most part I think the game looks really great.

Interiors are jaw dropping. I started Madhouse and just spent like 15 minutes in the laundry room looking at all the details. I loooove the lighting on reflective surfaces in this game. Holding a shiny pistol with that lovely DOF effect and having the underside of the barrel illuminated with warm orange light from the cassette player is bae. Art direction is superb too. The Baker home is one the most meticulously detailed and lovingly handcrafted settings of any game.

Outdoors doesn't look as good though mostly because the foliage is pretty weak. There are some weaker textures here and there throughout the whole game too, but for the most part I think the game looks really great.

I have to say, there are some stellar atmospheric moments. I think walking Dow the stairwell into the main house basement is beautiful. The lighting and everything is amazing. It's also a well framed.

I have to say, there are some stellar atmospheric moments. I think walking Dow the stairwell into the main house basement is beautiful. The lighting and everything is amazing. It's also a well framed.

Yup, love that spot. I also really like the hallway right outside the laundry room with the light reflecting off the hardwood floor, and the wind blowing up against the windows mmmmmmmm.

bumpkin

Is it just my imagination, or does all of the damage you do to Jack (bullet holes, slice marks, whatever) carry over every time you run into him later? If it's not just my imagination, that's a really nice touch by the dev team. It's like when skid marks stay on the track in a racing game through all of the laps.

The best hallway. The best the best the best. Huge REmake vibes

49F89FA3EF36DFEA6551A2D51EBC09153121F0B3

Who knew a shitty unadorned hallway could be so interesting

that second boss, gross.

I'm stuck on that one in Madhouse right now, partially because A) it's hard B) ohmygod so grosssssss I do not want to see or hear that for an extended period of time

Jobbs

Banned
the crap with
lucas and the whole "watching you and commenting as you navigate his evil design" crap
is where the game took a dive. I just don't care for this. Zzzzzzzzzz

Pinky

Banned
Press pause and think when you need it. It stops the clock entirely. Every time I got to a new big item/key part, I paused and thought about where to go/what to do.

Good to know! Wasn't sure if the clock continues ticking or stops when paused. Thanks!

Roussow

I've played through this like 6 times now, I'll have to go back and try REmake again. I'm a huge fan of 4,5 & 6 -- each for hugely varying reasons, and I absolutely love 7. I played a couple hours of REmake when it was on PS+ last October, tank controls took a while to get used too, and eventually I got stuck looking at a fountain of writhing snakes which I couldn't progress through. I should really go back to these older RE games.

dcx4610

it's most likely the AA solution you chose + chromatic aberration being on.

No luck. Turning off AA added a bunch of artifacts and turning off CA only helped slightly.

It still looks pretty bad for a game in 2017 to my eyes. The textures are bad, the graphics aren't sharp, the models look old and weird. I think it looks on par with something like Outlast which is years old now and an indie title. It definitely doesn't feel like a AAA game to me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've made it to
the garden
, is it normal that I haven't found
the snake key
yet?

Getting used to VR. Switching to smooth camera and upping the sensitivity did wonders for me. I'm still using auto FOV settings, don't think I can handle it off (yet).

Starting to side with the 'this is the VR killer app' camp. The boss fights alone are mental.

poutmeter

I've made it to
the garden
, is it normal that I haven't found
the snake key
yet?

Garden as in the yard with the trailer?
If so, you're fine -don't worry about it yet.

Edit: If you mean
the greenhouse by garden, you still don't have to worry about it just yet.

gogojira

Curious how far along I am, anyone care to inform me?

I just bought bug mom, took her lantern and had the creepy ass scene just after it. Zoe was supposed to meet me in the trailer but the son capture her and has Mia. Also, he left a disgusting mutated head in the refrigerator.

This game, especially the past hour or so, has really scared the shit out of me.

goonie

So when can I no longer go back to the Baker House? Of which I'm assuming will happen?

I just went into
Lucas's SAW
deal.

Also, shouldn't have gone into the community thread as they;re dropping some open spoilers in there, :(
Super vague:
Once you start seeing water again, you're close to the point of no return.

Curious how far along I am, anyone care to inform me?

I just bought bug mom, took her lantern and had the creepy ass scene just after it. Zoe was supposed to meet me in the trailer but the son capture her and has Mia. Also, he left a disgusting mutated head in the refrigerator.

This game, especially the past hour or so, has really scared the shit out of me.
Close to the halfway mark, I'd say?

Top Bottom