• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Celeras

Banned
Just got to
losing my arm omg
and can finally use smooth turning without getting dizzy in VR. Woohoo! Such a better experience with all the comfort settings off.

I know that's probably the beginning of the game but it took me like 2 hrs because VR is horrifying and I'm a coward lol.

silva1991

I finished this game yesterday. Absolute GOTY material and I take"almost" everything I said about it back before release/playing it.

It really did feel like playing classic RE game(RE$ is still the best tho)

There were some shit that I disliked about the game, but overall the gameplay, level design, atmosphere and even the bosses were spot on for me(puzzles could have been little harder imo)

That being said, the game didn't really convinced me that it needed to be in first person to be this good. Not even by little. What were we going to lose if it was exactly as it is, but with RE4/5 camera? we will only lose some cheap jump scares. I hope they make RE8 as good with third person camera.

Anyways, FANTASTIC game and doesn't deserve less than 8.5/10 imo.

myco666

Nightmares is actually pretty fun mode. Real shame that it is only one map and Night Terrors is just difficulty for it.

Now only thing left for me is EMD. Oh boy.

I finished this game yesterday. Absolute GOTY material and I take"almost" everything I said about it back before release/playing it.

It really did feel like playing classic RE game(RE$ is still the best tho)

There were some shit that I disliked about the game, but overall the gameplay, level design, atmosphere and even the bosses were spot on for me(puzzles could have been little harder imo)

That being said, the game didn't really convinced me that it needed to be in first person to be this good. Not even by little. What were we going to lose if it was exactly as it is, but with RE4/5 camera? we will only lose some cheap jump scares. I hope they make RE8 as good with third person camera.

Anyways, FANTASTIC game and doesn't deserve less than 8.5/10 imo.

It would have lost VR. So hardly anything worthwhile for majority of people who play this.

myco666

How long does the DLC take to finish?

Bedroom is less than hour. Length pretty much depends on how fast you figure the puzzles. Zero replay value.

Nightmares takes around 20 minutes to finish and Night Terror difficulty other 20. You probably won't get through those on the first try though so you need to replay them couple of times. You even get better equipment if you replay it bunch of times. Highly replayable mode.

EMD runs are around 20-30 minutes on YT but that is stupid hard so you will probably have to replay it bunch of times before finishing it. Very replayable mode due to having randomized 'loot'.

Grinchy

Banned
Just got to
losing my arm omg
and can finally use smooth turning without getting dizzy in VR. Woohoo! Such a better experience with all the comfort settings off.

I know that's probably the beginning of the game but it took me like 2 hrs because VR is horrifying and I'm a coward lol.

There's a setting in the Display tab that can turn off the way it blacks out the peripheral vision, in case you haven't seen it. Getting all that crap off definitely makes for a better VR experience for those who don't get sick from VR.

JayBabay

Just beat this game, wow it was such a memorable experience. The last RE I beat was 4, and I dabbled with 5 co-op a bit. The atmosphere and presentation in this game are so good. Very immersive, but man I could do without the jump scares.

Gradon

Bedroom is less than hour.

Nightmares takes around 20 minutes

EMD runs are around 20-30 minutes.

I'm probably going to wait till Not A Hero is out before I justify buying the season pass myself, I'm still incredibly excited for all of the content I'd just rather wait till its altogether if the DLC is only that length.

hohoXD123

Is it just me or does the character seem to be taking everything which goes on around him quite well?
He was shocked when his girlfriend tried to kill him, fair enough. He seemed scared enough when talking to the cop, so that was ok. But then he sees some crazy immortal mofo and mould creatures but he barely reacts? Just finished the dissecting room chainsaw fight btw.

myco666

I'm probably going to wait till Not A Hero is out before I justify buying the season pass myself, I'm still incredibly excited for all of the content I'd just rather wait till its altogether if the DLC is only that length.

Nightmare and EMD times are for the succesful runs though. Those doesn't take into consideration how many times you had to replay them to get through them.

Is it just me or does the character seem to be taking everything which goes on around him quite well?
He was shocked when his girlfriend tried to kill him, fair enough. He seemed scared enough when talking to the cop, so that was ok. But then he sees some crazy immortal mofo and mould creatures but he barely reacts? Just finished the dissecting room chainsaw fight btw.

Honestly I think worst thing horror game can do is have protag who constantly reacts/is scared about what is happening around him. I should be the one who is scared and not the character I am playing as.

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, finished.

Great game, but IMO the final third or so detracted from the experience hard,
dissolving away all of the game's mystique and finely tuned atmosphere by way of its overbearing need to do a bunch of video game shit (like fighting tons of the same badguy over and over), overexplaining things, and having a ridiculous over the top finale. I really wish they had shown some restraint.

Still, though, great game.
If it ended just before Lucas or if those parts weren't shit, it would have been GOTY material.

Okay, finished.

dissolving away all of the game's mystique and finely tuned atmosphere by way of its overbearing need to do a bunch of video game shit (like fighting tons of the same badguy over and over), overexplaining things, and having a ridiculous over the top finale. I really wish they had shown some restraint.

If it ended just before Lucas or if those parts weren't shit, it would have been GOTY material.

Staple RE traits ;)

Kazuhira

Anyone managed to find all the lockpicks on Madhouse? There're like 5 chests and i only found 2 so far.
Btw, i'm about
to fight mutated Jack and there's no turning back after the battle so i need find them all right now.

Just finished. 9.5/10

Outstanding work from Capcom. I was not even going to buy this game originally. But glad I did! This is what raising the bar looks like.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just found the
two keycards to get into the kid's test area
. I can now play for hours without getting motion sickness issues, but I also think the game has hit its stride overall. I already think this is the best RE since 4. It went back to the roots with aplomb, and VR is the cherry on the cake. I didn't think RE VII would provide me with my favorite VR experience so far, but here we are.

FinKL

Man you guys are describing this as literally the second coming of christ in gaming. Nothing but positive praises with sprinkles of nausea issues. I don't know why I keep clicking this and the PSVR impression thread, makes the wait on PC VR pretty much be forever.

Risible

Just got to
losing my arm omg

It took you TWO HOURS to get to that part??? Holy mackerel you aren't kidding when you say you're a wuss :).

Risible

I'm going to assume that he is or was
part of some organization himself. Right at the beginning when he finds that body under water and doesn't totally lose his shit I thought ok, this guy has seen some shit. The rest of the game and his reactions only confirm that for me. It would also explain his animosity towards his wife working for one if he had been a part of one and quit that life.

AEREC

Okay, finished.

Whats funny is that the first thing you complain about made me happy since it made the game feel more Resident Evil.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After sitting back and thinking about it, there's one area where I felt the game lacked and that's mob types, I really like how there weren't many enemies in general as there didn't need to be but a bit more variety would have been nice, there wasn't
even the iconic dogs!
. Still a solid 9/10 from me and my biggest gaming surprise in a long time.

Zakalwe

Banned
Nightmares is actually pretty fun mode. Real shame that it is only one map and Night Terrors is just difficulty for it.

Now only thing left for me is EMD. Oh boy.

It would have lost VR. So hardly anything worthwhile for majority of people who play this.

And the superior perspective for shooters.

After sitting back and thinking about it, there's one area where I felt the game lacked and that's mob types, I really like how there weren't many enemies in general as there didn't need to be but a bit more variety would have been nice, there wasn't
even the iconic dogs!
. Still a solid 9/10 from me and my biggest gaming surprise in a long time.

Molded Hunters would've been cool. The quick bastards on all fours are kinda like Lickers too.

Was about to say the quick molded was more or less a licker already.
It was just missing some front claws and a tongue.

Yeah would've been cool to see molded variants of familiar enemies. I wonder what the "theme" of the creatures will be the next time, if they'll continue using the mold theme or something else. The mold theme was really cool.

Grisby

Super vague:
Once you start seeing water again, you're close to the point of no return.

Close to the halfway mark, I'd say?
Thanks!!

Actually ended up at what I assume to be the final save point before the end of the game.
Just synthesized the deal to kill Evie.

Jesb

Can someon explain this puzzle to me.
I'm on the cake puzzle and the cake explodes and kills me everytime

Kazuhira

Can someon explain this puzzle to me.
I'm on the cake puzzle and the cake explodes and kills me everytime

You should wrap your post with spoiler tags,just saying(edit:you already did it).
Do the same but don't pick that thing from the barrel,the oil/gasoline won't start leaking and you won't burn your ass when the cake explodes.You already know the password so there's no need to interact with big clown mannequin.

The enemy encounters are very tuned around the limited FOV, and because much of the game is set inside in very tight corridors , it would be a big hinderance to have a chunk of the screen real estate covered up by the character. On top of that first person lets you get up close and inspect lots of stuff which allows them to hide items really well in the environment, as well as making you feel more immersed in the setting. A third person camera would have detracted from the game if they just left it designed as is.

-SG

Just finished the game on normal and damn, I loved it. Can't wait to start another plathrough and hunt some collectibles.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay, finished.

The bits you didn't like cemented this as a contender for GOTY. It's /exactly/ what RE needs to be RE, that "video game shit", imo.

Zakalwe

Banned
Any tips or advice on how to approach Madhouse? I'm a scared little bitch just thinking about attempting it.

Take your time, don't rush because you think you know what's going to happen...

Very few checkpoints and as saves are limited you need to be aware of that.

Madhouse is how the game should be played, imo. The tension really does ramp up.

Pinky

Banned
Take your time, don't rush because you think you know what's going to happen...

Very few checkpoints and as saves are limited you need to be aware of that.

Madhouse is how the game should be played, imo. The tension really does ramp up.

Appreciate it! Am I assuming correctly that enemies are obviously stronger and probably appear in higher numbers/unexpected areas compared to Easy and Normal?

Zakalwe

Banned
Appreciate it! Am I assuming correctly that enemies are obviously stronger and probably appear in higher numbers/unexpected areas compared to Easy and Normal?

I'll put this in spoilers just in case, but it's only info related to gameplay elements like the above.

To answer your question: yes.

Plus Jack is /super/ relentless and there are little tweaks to the layout/how you move through the map. Nothing huge, but enough to throw you if you just charge ahead.

Some other bits, but you can find those for yourself.

So I'm at the greenhouse, am I close to halfway done? Also I know this has multiple endings but is it very obvious as to when you have to make a choice or is it something stupid like forgetting to pick up an item?

Pinky

Banned
I'll put this in spoilers just in case, but it's only info related to gameplay elements like the above.

To answer your question: yes.

Plus Jack is /super/ relentless and there are little tweaks to the layout/how you move through the map. Nothing huge, but enough to throw you if you just charge ahead.

Some other bits, but you can find those for yourself.

Thanks again!

So I'm at the greenhouse, am I close to halfway done? Also I know this has multiple endings but is it very obvious as to when you have to make a choice or is it something stupid like forgetting to pick up an item?

You are about halfway through and, yes, it is obvious. You can't miss it.

Been to a number of locations outside of Chicago, and RE7 has been MIA at most. Seems the game is selling through quite well to the modest (for Capcom) shipping numbers.

EMD mode has been kicking me in the teeth, and haven't made it further than
the room with the network of bombs past the implement trap
. Mostly due to none or weak weapon drops by the time of the generator room.

Strategy so far:

1. Rush through first room. Usually too risky to stop for any crates there.

2. Attempt to lure the hall Moulded to to the hunting room to knock out both with the trap there. However, it's no longer been working consistently despite both usually within the blast. New tactic has been to get the hall Moulded stuck behind the open door to the computer room where he'll usually stand and allow me to knife him apart.

3. Swipe or flame the fast Moulded on to the gas pad outside the morgue

4. Lure dissection room Moulded on to gas pad right outside

5. Kite the fat Moulded in the room

6. Lure the first claw Moulded through the two traps in the hall

7. Shoot trap in the pig room

8. Usually just shoot the two in the generator room (or survival knife). Shut door quick to trap fast moulded.

9. Walk backwards to trigger implement trap and sprint to avoid.

And that's as far as I am thus far. Not sure what will better my progression until that point.

Grisby

Finished. Great game, even if the latter half is weaker. It was really nice being surprised and creeped out by an RE game again.

There's no real new game plus right? I assume if you start a new game the only thing you get is
that Albert gun and the defense deal that you unlock after beating it once?

Finished. Great game, even if the latter half is weaker. It was really nice being surprised and creeped out by an RE game again.

There's no real new game plus right? I assume if you start a new game the only thing you get is
that Albert gun and the defense deal that you unlock after beating it once?

Correct. As long as you have the save data, the items you unlock can be accessed across all modes and saves at the first item box.

Eggbok

If you dont finish the tape it wont let you pull the lever in the fire place.

You mean in the beginning of the game? You can lol, you don't have to finish any tape to progress through the game. Just did a speedrun playthrough and didn't watch a single tape.

Tapes count as a collectible though and I'm unsure if I can just pick u the tape and leave or if I have to play through each one.

Top Bottom