• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Gonna back up Jawmuncher here and say RE7 has barely any scares.

Marguerite boss
design was the only neat one and her
window
jumpscare is the only one that made me flinch.

There were creepy moments in the
clown at the puzzle and the ship
but overall I didn't treat this as horror but similar to a light thriller

Honestly I was creeped out by the ending of the movie Split than anything in RE7.

Beat it last night.

Overall, really great - would definitely recommend it, particularly to those of us that have felt left behind by 5 and 6 (4 was obviously a huge departure, but still managed to have enough exploration and detail that felt like an RE game. Also a masterpiece). Very evocative of RE1 and REmake.

My only issues are:
- really would have loved to see more enemy variety. The
molded
are nice but are pretty strongly reminiscent of the
iron maidens from RE4
. Their ability to be.. well,
molded
... is also under-utilized, I would have expected lots of different incarnations.
- the
ship sequence
, as many have noted, veers way too far away from what the game does well.
- the
creepy little girl
trope is a little worn thin
- no
giant spiders :(

ActWan

I just finished the
garage fight
and I got a few things to say about this opening:
The way they started with "Outlast" and slowly turned it into "Resident Evil" was absolutely fantastic. That moment when the saveroom theme started playing was the moment I knew that this IS Resident Evil, 100%. Plus it really feels like a classic one.
Some theories of mine and thoughts on weird moments:
100% sure Ethan is infected too. First the reattached hand and then that leg cutscene with Jack confirm this. It's a bit of a weird infection, as all of them are intelligent and can regenerate everything it seems (Jack was still breathing after he shot himself)...but Mia was talking like a ghost was possesing her. Might be a combination of the two? Idk. Anyways- I noticed something EXTREMELY creepy! After the dinner scene the grandma is sitting there in her chair and fucking disappears with the chair. Freaked me out so much.
And that thing with the deputy was weird and random as fuck, plus all the phonecalls from this Zoe...

Gonna back up Jawmuncher here and say RE7 has barely any scares.

Marguerite boss
design was the only neat one and her
window
jumpscare is the only one that made me flinch.

There were creepy moments in the
clown at the puzzle and the ship
but overall I didn't treat this as horror but similar to a light thriller

Honestly I was creeped out by the ending of the movie Split than anything in RE7.

It's subjectively scary. You can't tell others it's not a scary game when many find it scary.
I understand you are telling us what you found disturbing, but still. Let people enjoy their terror.

This game doesn't have scares? Its been a week since i've beaten it & it still haunts my dreams. This game & everything about it is superb.

It's subjectively scary. You can't tell others it's not a scary game when many find it scary.
I understand you are telling us what you found disturbing, but still. Let people enjoy their terror.

Yup. I don't think any RE game has scared me, and the amount of panic/creepy moments could be counted on one hand.

1. First Crimson Head
2. Regenerator
3. Dr. Salavador
Jack
catching up to you and spinning you around to knee, shovel, head butt...

Doesn't change that other people feel differently.

Apart from some of those
Marg jump scares in the old house, and when Mia first gets possessed in the opening
I definitely felt tension just from the sheer atmosphere, a lot more so than I have in other Resident Evils. They did a great, great job with the art direction and sound design. It's not an overly scary game, but it always keeps you on edge.

tesqui

The speed running community is strong in this game it seems. Like a third of the top twitch streams are specifically speed running the game. I have to wonder if there being an achievement and unlockable tied to it helps.

i just bought the game and i'm a little bitch so naturally it took me about an hour to actually go into the house from the outside at the start of the game, how can i better condition myself to actually play this game and how scary is it compared to say, Dead Space 2 (which i actually finished and didn't find that scary tbh)

Jerrod

Son of a bitch I hate this file trophy. I just got to the trailer and have 6 so far but apparently I missed one in the game's prologue where you find the bolt cutters.
When you go back there at the end of the game can I go to that area and read it?
I thought it might be possible, but
you can't interact with the drawer at the end of the game, so no.
Yo, you can't use all the found coins to unlock all the birdcages in Madhouse?
Like it seems like you have to use the stat boosting coins to unlock the last cage unless you use the demo coin and just one of the other stat boosters (at least, the pre-orderable coin)?
You can't use the offense or defense coins in the cages. Even with the coin from the demo you are left 1 short of getting everything in the cages.

i just bought the game and i'm a little bitch so naturally it took me about an hour to actually go into the house from the outside at the start of the game, how can i better condition myself to actually play this game and how scary is it compared to say, Dead Space 2 (which i actually finished and didn't find that scary tbh)

Lights. Have something else going on in the background (club music or reruns of Friends). Cat or dog that cuddles uof (not the cat that will go at your feet or hair). Alcohol....maybe. A clown outside your window to remind you what the real threat is.

I thought it might be possible, but
you can't interact with the drawer at the end of the game, so no.

Makes sense, as while you are technically in the
real guest house, you are heavily compromised by Eveline's hallucinations

So...
Not a Hero DLC.
Any ideas what it'll be? Would y'all mind if it were more action-y? Also any guesses of who exactly
Redfield
is?

Most likely action focused. Going Into the mines to chase down Lucas. Using the shitty machine gun.

I know this isn't serious but I kinda don't get the hate for
the SMG
. It might not
have the tightest spread, but it gets the job done, and I love the rumble feedback in chambering a new magazine.

Anyways, asked this in the other thread, but since I didn't get any reply;
Any guesses about who Mia was working for? What was the 'third-party' Lucas was contacting, if it wasn't 'Umbrella'? Why is Umbrella still around? I'm a little irritated that these plot threads are still dangling, given how slow the game was to parse out details and then suddenly dumps a whole bunch near the end.

the SMG
. It might not
have the tightest spread, but it gets the job done, and I love the rumble feedback in chambering a new magazine.

Any guesses about who Mia was working for? What was the 'third-party' Lucas was contacting, if it wasn't 'Umbrella'? Why is Umbrella still around? I'm a little irritated that these plot threads are still dangling, given how slow the game was to parse out details and then suddenly dumps a whole bunch near the end.

It just doesn't feel good to shoot and typically takes a full magazine to take down a molded. I'd rather use the hunting shotgun or the pistol with enhanced rounds. The spread is too wide for reliable headshots even firing in bursts. And it's too tight and weak to work as crowd control. It doesn't have any stopping power and molded will walk towards you unfazed. It has a lot of ammo and is good if you wanna save more valuable ammo for more effective guns, but I just don't find it fun to use.

It just doesn't feel good to shoot and typically takes a full magazine to take down a molded. I'd rather use the hunting shotgun or the pistol with enhanced rounds. The spread is too wide for reliable headshots even firing in bursts. And it's too tight and weak to work as crowd control. It doesn't have any stopping power and molded will walk towards you unfazed. It has a lot of ammo and is good if you wanna save more valuable ammo for more effective guns, but I just don't find it fun to use.

What I ended up doing is I'd shoot about 20 or so rounds into a Molded, and then switch to a pistol to finish them off. That seemed to work well for me.

dlauv

100%'d this on Steam and RE.net, or at least as far as I could on RE.net. Took 28 hours.

Fun stuff.

Edit: As far as scary, I was on the edge of my seat more than once, and the game made me flinch from not only scripted jumpscares, but several emergent ones through gameplay. The
Margueritte bossfight
usually gets me at least once. The atmosphere can be very tense and dreadful.

That does it, doing the speed run before Madhouse.

I wouldn't use any post-game unlockables on it unless you want it to be a cakewalk.

DirtyLarry

So its to late as I am not going back to play it again, at least on this initial playthrough, so can someone tell me
where was the key to the captains locker on the ship? I looked and looked and did not find it, and sure enough now that I have left Mia and gotten her things, I do not have the Machine Gun that was in the locker.
Kinda upset I did not get it.
Also I have enough Antique Coins, so
44 Mag or Stabilizer for indefinite Reload?
I am leaning towards the latter myself, and may already have gotten it by the time anyone responds, but I am curious what the consensus is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So its to late as I am not going back to play it again, at least on this initial playthrough, so can someone tell me
where was the key to the captains locker on the ship? I looked and looked and did not find it, and sure enough now that I have left Mia and gotten her things, I do not have the Machine Gun that was in the locker.
Kinda upset I did not get it.
Also I have enough Antique Coins, so
44 Mag or Stabilizer for indefinite Reload?
I am leaning towards the latter myself, and may already have gotten it by the time anyone responds, but I am curious what the consensus is.

If memory serves correctly
the key was in the room where you start the VHS tape with Mia and Alan.

the SMG
. It might not

Who I think the mystery third party should be is Alex Wesker. Who it will be will probably be some random person from the family.

Alienfan

the chainsaw fight is such horse shit. I've gotten him on the ground 4 times, but still not enough. Ughhhh Boss fights are the worse, especially given how slow the combat is. Pretty close to giving up tbh, it just isn't much fun - I was enjoying myself a lot before

Any tips?

Re7 is awesome and I absolutely love the new direction the series has taken. I always wanted to like the previous games but have never gotten far. One of my main gripes was the stupid inventory with its limited space. Re7 has limited inventory space too but I've yet had to get into a situation where I ran out of space and can't pick up an item on my way to the next storage box. Working my way through the locations with its various puzzles, unlockable areas, shortcuts and tough enemies almost gives me a Dark Souks vibe. I've yet have to beat it (Im 2/3 through the game) but I haven't had as much fun with a game since Dark Souls 3.

I also love the atmosphere and the way the horror aspect is presented. Yes there are a couple jump scares but the game doesn't rely on them to create creepy and tense situations.

I hope they stick to this formula and we'll get a sequel soon. Re7 wasn't on my radar and now I'm laying bed and am looking forward to continue playing more tomorrow.

Edit: Capcom also deserves praise for deciding to reduce effects/resolution to run the game with 60fps on consoles. Having played and given up on Dishonored 2 because of its low fov and unstable frame rate makes me appreciate the playability of this title so much more.

goonie

the chainsaw fight is such horse shit. I've gotten him on the ground 4 times, but still not enough. Ughhhh Boss fights are the worse, especially given how slow the combat is. Pretty close to giving up tbh, it just isn't much fun - I was enjoying myself a lot before

Any tips?
Did you grab the chainsaw? When he's kneeling, "aim" the chainsaw and hold attack on his weak spot.

myco666

Of course it is subjective but you can still say this game isn't scary.

So...
Not a Hero DLC.
Any ideas what it'll be? Would y'all mind if it were more action-y? Also any guesses of who exactly
Redfield
is?

It is pretty obvious who
Redfield is. It is Chris.

Any tips?

Hold L2+R2 (or whatever the equivalent is on your controller) when he is down. Should require two or three of those.

This whole section with the
son's madhouse
has really brought the game down a notch.

It just doesn't feel like Resident Evil and
these sections of any given game where you're trapped in some intricately rigged playhouse by a CRAZY MADMAN is just so played out and cliche at this point. Not to mention how poorly designed some of it is. I watch the birthday tape, thus Ethan knows every detail of the scenario and yet he still stands in front of the birthday cake that he knows is going to explode.
Just completely lacks classic RE tension and feels like an unfortunate misstep in an otherwise pretty great game. And it's just kinda bluntly stupid and unpleasant
(just like the Saw movies)
to play through.

Can't wait for this to be over and move on.

Question on VR and Resident evil.

I always see advertised you can use the motion controllers which is great, but what about the nunchuck?

Also what is drifting on the controllers like? I hated them on PS3.

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat it. I have only played it in VR so far and god damn was it a great game. It may have been my favorite gaming experience of this generation.

Of course it is subjective but you can still say this game isn't scary.
Of course you can say its not scary, but Im saying you cant tell others its not. Its like suggesting the question: "why are you scared? You shouldnt be." Or at least your comment read like that.

Any tips?

Lead jack into the body backs and kick them into him. That will cancel any attack he was going to make and leave him vulnerable for a moment.

Any tips?

Aim while attacking, don't just swing.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
So fighting the first boss in madhouse mode and got a new scene.
They sever my leg with the scissor saw. The tool jammed for them and you have to get your leg back.
If you dont reattach it with fist aid you bleed out, Wicked.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Its very important you block his attacks. You dont take much damage blocking with the chainsaw. Use regular attacks when he is standing up. When he is regenerating go in with the special attack. If you use the special attack while he moving around you risk getting hit and youll have to rev up the chainsaw again while he is regenerating.

Ostrava04

Beat the game and I think it's a great game. The visuals and atmosphere in this game is fantastic. The game play was surprisingly good and the puzzles were pretty much what I got from the PS1 RE games

Spinky

Not scary? I was absolutely fucking shitting myself in the detention room. And
Marguerite
's boss to a lesser extent.

Most of it is just atmosphere, but even then it still unsettles the hell out of me at times.

Didn't really get me much in the first half, though.

myco666

Of course you can say its not scary, but Im saying you cant tell others its not. Its like suggesting the question: "why are you scared? You shouldnt be." Or at least your comment read like that.

Sorry if it read like that. Obviously didn't mean it like that. But you can definitely tell other people the game isn't scary. You can also tell them that it is scary. Both of these imply that it is your opinion rather than an objective fact.

Top Bottom