• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm doing a collectibles run and I have a question, do I have to watch the entire tape in order for it to count?

I think you need to watch a tape fully for it to 'count', I'm basing this off when I earned the achievement for watching every tape, though it's hard to say since the last tape
is unskipable
, so I guess wait for a more definitive answer.

If you dont finish the tape it wont let you pull the lever in the fire place.

You can definitely pull the lever without watching the tape, or even picking up the tape.

Mesharey

I'm lost in the beginning and kinda lost interest in continuing the game.

The last thing I did I think was
controlling Mia by watching the video, and that father keeps following me, the grandma is in her room and it's closed,
dunno what to do here, can't find a key or something.

I'm lost in the beginning and kinda lost interest in continuing the game.

The last thing I did I think was
controlling Mia by watching the video, and that father keeps following me, the grandma is in her room and it's closed,
dunno what to do here, can't find a key or something.

Look in bathtub, then remember what Mia did in the video with an object

Mesharey

Look in bathtub, then remember what Mia did in the video with an object
Bathtub
? I don't remember if she did something,
I was mostly running away from the mother

The only weird thing I have is something wooden I think, hmm maybe have to use that on the projector to make it display an eagle?

mujun

Bathtub
? I don't remember if she did something,
I was mostly running away from the mother

The only weird thing I have is something wooden I think, hmm maybe have to use that on the projector to make it display an eagle?

The thing you need for the projector is in the bathtub on the 2nd floor.

1upsuper

I fell in love with this game, and it's the only RE I've put any significant amount of time into. If I want to play more RE, should I play 1 or 4 or something else? Is the PS2 version of 4 ok? What's the best version of 1?

Perineum

I fell in love with this game, and it's the only RE I've put any significant amount of time into. If I want to play more RE, should I play 1 or 4 or something else? Is the PS2 version of 4 ok? What's the best version of 1?

If you like 7 as a whole, then I highly recommend REmake HD, and 0. Both look good and have the good atmosphere, and good pacing.

If you need something more modern then I suggest Revelations 2. If you have a buddy who wants to play an action co op game with you, then RE5. Lastly, RE4 is great, and RE6 is garbage.

TheGorathPlan

Neo Member
This is the first RE game since RE4 that gripped me from beginning to end. Much like DOOM 2016 was a distillation of the essence of Doom 1 & 2 in a modern context, RE7 was a reinterpretation of RE1 in today's conventions and game design methodologies. With that said, it didn't sacrifice what made Resident Evil so compelling in the first place for the sake of mass market appeal (Capcom discovered that the hard way as we all know), yet it feels fresh and vital. It just has so much confidence in what game it wants to be. I just wished there was more of it!

Like in 2016, video games like RE7 are redeeming us from the global horrors of 2017.

Play REmake if you like 7. Play RE4, 5, and 6 if you want more RE and don't care if they play differently. RE4 is still one of the best games ever released.

So yesterday I mustered up the courage to
walk down the stairs (in VR) into the cellar after finding your wife
. It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be.
When she jumped out of the little closet under the stairs though
I yelled and cursed.

So far I've played up to the part where you open
the double doors with the crest, after you fight the dad in the garage
. I was fine with all of that.

It's the jump scares and the anticipation of one potentially about to happen at any moment with something directly in my face that I don't need in my life. Not to say that that isn't kind of fun as well though.

Osakadon

OK so I beat the game yesterday. Great game. Very fun, beat it on easy and then madhouse.

Ok first things first, the very first. Right after booting up the game I was greeted with a video of a girl talking into the camera and I could not believe how bad the lip syncing was. By that I mean, it's almost nonexistent. For a game released in 2017 how are more people not talking about this. The face models look pretty great, but as soon as they open their mouth it falls apart, it's laughably bad.

Another thing I was disappointed with right away when starting the game. The enemies are so boring. There are only 2 enemies in the entire game? The main walking molded monster(+ claw version) and the molded that walks on all fours. Maybe 3 if I count the bugs. I was so bored with combat very quickly because I was just fighting the same thing over and over. Huge disappointment.

Finally, I really didn't see why this game needed to be 1st person besides the obvious VR. I was always under the impression that the game let you choose 1st person or 3rd person view. All the lame, up in your face jump scares were like the garbage gimmicks that 3D movie makers did when that was new a few years ago. It's so obviously a VR gimmick and something that would never have been in the game if VR wasn't a thing.
It's jarring and blatantly obvious that's the reason it's there.

Other than those things I really enjoyed the game. Am I the only one that thought the game was short?

Grisby

Remake is the closet you'll get to 7 IMO in terms of atmosphere.

I'd check out the originals too, like 2-CV just to see what a lot of fans fell in love with about the series. 4-6 is where the series turns to straight up action (and it was fun as well).

xVodevil

I'm glad I've replayed 2, a few days before this, it is still the king! Though I couldn't pick between RE1 and the REmake, those follow closely, but as far as I'm concerned, RE7 comes close after them, and easily more of a masterpiece, than RE4 was! (still a masterpiece, but for me not when compared within the franchise)

TheGorathPlan

Neo Member
Play REmake if you like 7. Play RE4, 5, and 6 if you want more RE and don't care if they play differently. RE4 is still one of the best games ever released.

REmake is one of the rare few Capcom GameCube masterpieces that I haven't touched. I wonder if it's cheap on the Xbox Marketplace...

I really hope they plan on releasing a patch somewhere down the line that lets us skip the opening segment of the game. It's awful and takes around 15 minutes.It'd be nice if we could skip some of the in-game scenes as well, especially the phone calls.

I think RE4 is grossly overrated. The second half of the game is not that good, story and characters horrible. Combat is mediocre even for its time.

Mind-bogglingly bad shitpost.

REmake is one of the rare few Capcom GameCube masterpieces that I haven't touched. I wonder if it's cheap on the Xbox Marketplace...

It's gone on sale on PS4 plenty of times in the past. I think it's $20 if it's not on sale. Well worth it!

AlterOdin

Have played a bit,
got to the boat as Mia
, and I am really liking it. Reminds me alot of Call of Chutulu Dark Corners of the Earth (one of my all-time favorites, and will promote it any time I can :))

Sadly, seems my 980Ti have bitten the dust, had to revert to my 680, hopefully RMA goes threw soon.

dlauv

I think I'd enjoy a multiplayer mode. No real frills, just deathmatch in maybe the main building.

Everyone has walking shoes speed or maybe it's hidden in a pickup box (EMD style).

Item pickups in the environment or maybe in EMD boxes. Everyone exploring the house to power up.

Wouldn't need radar due to innate sound design.

I'm sure many wouldn't be on board for this because it would be DLC on top of having to require PS+ to play a mode in an otherwise singleplayer game.

Jawmuncher

I think I'd enjoy a multiplayer mode. No real frills, just deathmatch in maybe the main building.

Everyone has walking shoes speed or maybe it's hidden in a pickup box (EMD style).

Item pickups in the environment or maybe in EMD boxes. Everyone exploring the house to power up.

I'm sure many wouldn't be on board for this because it would be DLC on top of having to require PS+ to play a mode in an otherwise singleplayer game.

Going by Capcom MP shenanigans in RE5&6. The mode would probably be horribly broken with a certain weapon or tactic. Capcom doesn't seem able to grasp MP well unless it's coop when it comes to these sorts of games.

With that said a Outbreak style game mode made with the areas could be interesting. Needing multiple people to solve puzzles and beat bosses.

Spman2099

If you like Resident Evil 7 then you definitely want to play the Resident Evil 1 remake. They are pretty similar games in every way (except perspective).

dlauv

1 and 4 are the best in the series aside from 7, so they're great places to start.

The best version of RE1 is the Director's Cut version, which is only available on PSone. The PSN store has the Director's Cut: Dual Shock Edition, which has embarrassing music. It's good, but janky, being a 3D 1996 game.

Otherwise, you could play the remake of RE1 that you'll notice most people call REmake. It's available on Gamecube, 360, PS3, PS4, X1 and PC (Steam). It's generally regarded as the better game and best way to play Resident Evil 1.

The PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 is the worst possible one, but it's still a good game. I could go into what's wrong with the PS2 version if you're adamant about that version. Since you've played RE7, I would assume you would have access to a better version of RE4. RE4 was released on Gamecube, PS2, Wii, 360, PS3, PS4, X1, and PC. There is some nuance when deciding what the best version of this game is, but for all practical purposes, the X1/PS4/PC versions are the best versions most accessible. They run at 60fps and have updated textures and all of the side content and balancing revisions.

Kazuhira

So,what happens with the items inside those locked boxes during the tape version of the ship? Let's say i don't pick them,will i be able to collect them when i have to play as Mia in the present?
I think it's better to open the boxes and leave the contents so i can use them later,if possible.

dlauv

What the hell? : /

Combat was mediocre even for it's time? The combat is still better than a lot of games today!

For real. I think to this day that it has GOAT TPS gunplay. Some people can't get over the move/shoot limitation even though it's intentional and the focal point of enemy/encounter design.

psychotron

So,what happens with the items inside those locked boxes during the tape version of the ship? Let's say i don't pick them,will i be able to collect them when i have to play as Mia in the present?
I think it's better to open the boxes and leave the contents so i can use them later,if possible.

I think you're right. Though you can get materials to open them later as well, it's just more annoying.

spannicus

I too wish the game had a multiplayer mode. So much you can do in the enviornments. Would make a great party game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Otherwise, you could play the remake of RE1 that you'll notice most people call REmake. It's available on Gamecube, 360, PS3, PS4, X1 and PC (Steam). It's generally regarded as the better game and best way to play Resident Evil 1.

Does REmake play like RE4? BRACE YOURSELF I actually really hated the combat and controls in RE4, and even refunded it due to this as I couldn't enjoy the game because of how clunky it felt (the story was gripping me though and I wanted to play it I just couldn't get past the controls). I much prefer how RE6 handled, it felt more natural and just what I'm used to, although I didn't feel it was the best game in general, mostly due to it being way too long and full of filler. I absolutely adored RE7 and I kinda want to fill my boots with more RE but there's no point getting REmake if it'll suffer from the same issue as RE4 (at least for me).

Does REmake play like RE4? BRACE YOURSELF I actually really hated the combat and controls in RE4, and even refunded it due to this as I couldn't enjoy the game because of how clunky it felt (the story was gripping me though and I wanted to play it I just couldn't get past the controls). I much prefer how RE6 handled, it felt more natural and just what I'm used to, although I didn't feel it was the best game in general, mostly due to it being way too long and full of filler. I absolutely adored RE7 and I kinda want to fill my boots with more RE but there's no point getting REmake if it'll suffer from the same issue as RE4 (at least for me).

Yeah if you think RE4 is clunky and couldn't get past that then I don't think you'll enjoy REmake at all, even with the new control method.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if you think RE4 is clunky and couldn't get past that then I don't think you'll enjoy REmake at all, even with the new control method.

Balls, I actually just remembered I have REmake on PS4 as it was free awhile back but I don't have PS+ active as I rarely use the console so I can't test it out without adding a month (unless 48 hour trial codes are still a thing?).

EDIT: Settings > Data Management > Auto Upload > Activate 2 day trial. Can be done once per account, 7 times per PS4. I'll try the REmake now, if I like it I'll buy it on PC for that sweet, sweet 60fps.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are there random encounters in this game? Something like Haunting Ground and not like RE3's.

Do the Baker family randomly spawn and chase you?

dlauv

Not even slightly, lol. The controls are even clunkier, but the focus of the game isn't on combat, but exploration.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are there random encounters in this game? Something like Haunting Ground and not like RE3's.

Do the Baker family randomly spawn and chase you?

The Bakers wander with AI around a set area they patrol, there was some scripted scenes but more often than not they work dynamically (some scenes that even seem scripted aren't as scripted as you might think).

kc44135

You really should consider giving RE4 another chance, man. You're missing out on one of the best games ever made. The game is perfectly balanced and designed around it's control scheme, and there's never really an instance where you need to strafe or move and shoot. In part what makes the game so incredible is it's encounter design, which is designed around the tank controls, and would fall apart without them. Beyond that, it's just so good, dude.

As for REmake, the HD remaster has both classic tank controls and an alternate control scheme where you simply move in the direction you push the stick. It might make the game more enjoyable for you, but I think it's very poorly implemented. It doesn't play nice with the fixed camera angles, constantly leading to you getting to you getting turned around during scene transitions (this is why the tank controls were implemented in the first place), and the enemy AI wasn't designed to be able to keep up with a character that can turn on a dime. You can literally run circles around the enemies, and the combat just feels broken as a result. The last thing I would want to do is to turn someone away from REmake (another all-time classic), but if you're really that averse to playing with tank controls, I'm not honestly sure I would recommend it. They're part and parcel to REmake's core design, unfortunately.

Grisby

I could use a battle arena type mode. I liked the combat and how up close it felt. If I could get something with more ammo and enemies I'd be good.

Cracking open the
double barrel
and then firing
both shells
home felt good. Love the smoke trail on the end of the gun too.
Correct. As long as you have the save data, the items you unlock can be accessed across all modes and saves at the first item box.
Damn, so no real new game plus then. Thanks for the answer though. I think I might save a replay for when the dlc is all out.

Madhouse kind of scaring me off. Watched a vid and it took 20 something shots to bring down (sorta big spoiler)
Mia the first time. I said dayum gurl.

No luck. Turning off AA added a bunch of artifacts and turning off CA only helped slightly.

It still looks pretty bad for a game in 2017 to my eyes. The textures are bad, the graphics aren't sharp, the models look old and weird. I think it looks on par with something like Outlast which is years old now and an indie title. It definitely doesn't feel like a AAA game to me.

honestly? it most likely isn't. Game has very few locales, intense asset reuse, an extreme lack of enemy models and what not. Plus it had to be made in a way that would ensure it could maintain 60fps on a base ps4. Wouldnt be surprised if, when we get info on its budget, it is drastically inferior to however much capcom spent on resi6. Or resi5.

A visual tour de force this game was most certainly not designed to be.

I still enjoyed it a lot tho

goonie

Madhouse kind of scaring me off. Watched a vid and it took 20 something shots to bring down (sorta big spoiler)
I think that's one of the hardest fights on Madhouse. Once you get past that, it's not so bad!

Grisby

I'll tell you guys one thing that really unnerved me.

It was the
Margie boss
fight. I hate
spider ladies and that greenhouse fight was tense as shit.
Add in the fact that
her visual design was disgusting and the fact that she was birthing big ass kill mosquitos and eeewwwwwww.

Great boss fight.
I think that's one of the hardest fights on Madhouse. Once you get past that, it's not so bad!
That's encouraging! Ah well, maybe I will give it a shot down the road.

I could use a battle arena type mode. I liked the combat and how up close it felt. If I could get something with more ammo and enemies I'd be good.

Cracking open the
double barrel
and then firing
both shells
home felt good. Love the smoke trail on the end of the gun too.

Damn, so no real new game plus then. Thanks for the answer though. I think I might save a replay for when the dlc is all out.

It's fairly easy once you know how to set up an attack you can block entirely. It's just keeping distance pretty much. As goonie said, it's pretty much the gate for that mode.

carlsojo

It's fairly easy once you know how to set up an attack you can block entirely. It's just keeping distance pretty much. As goonie said, it's pretty much the gate for that mode.

Yeah if you block the fight becomes way easier.

I would argue the following section
where you evade Jack
is much harder because
if you get caught it's basically game over with no way to defend yourself and no way to outrun him.

dcx4610

Without spoiling, should I attack the main guy every time he shows up and try to put him down or should I be running and hiding until forced to fight?

Top Bottom