• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

gelf

I started madhouse straight after my normal run and I hate this advice. It's absolutely not necessary to unlock another weapon that frankly sounds game breaking.

My advice is simply to learn the importance of avoiding enemies and blocking. Just beating the game on normal you unlock a scroll that gives you better blocking. Equip that and you'll take very little damage when blocking. Do not engage any molded other than crawling molded in combat, and even they only go down in 1 headshot. I'm at the
Mia ship tape
section of madhouse and you know how many standard molded I've even fired a shot at? One. Block and run around everything.

I haven't even got to the molded yet, just dealing with Jack is a nightmare. I really don't like the stealth in this and if he sees me I'm doomed, when on normal I could at least just run away.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I haven't even got to the molded yet, just dealing with Jack is a nightmare. I really don't like the stealth in this and if he sees me I'm doomed, when on normal I could at least just run away.
That's such a tiny section of the game. Just practice a bit and you'll get the appropriate route to take down. Have you done the garage part yet at least? By the way even if he catches you he cant actually hurt you much if you block his attack. And remember that you don't actually need to backtrack for anything. Do the puzzle required to get you to the next section and don't return to the main hall until
you kill chainsaw Jack

Pinky

Banned
I started madhouse straight after my normal run and I hate this advice. It's absolutely not necessary to unlock another weapon that frankly sounds game breaking.

My advice is simply to learn the importance of avoiding enemies and blocking. Just beating the game on normal you unlock a scroll that gives you better blocking. Equip that and you'll take very little damage when blocking. Do not engage any molded other than crawling molded in combat, and even they only go down in 1 headshot. I'm at the
Mia ship tape
section of madhouse and you know how many standard molded I've even fired a shot at? One. Block and run around everything.

I hear ya. Sounds like gelf is having a rough go, so I just threw that option out there. He's certainly not obligated to do it.

ZeroCDR

Really really great, I loved this game. Felt like classic RE with some modern touches that didn't ruin it, even
late game when it becomes a bit shootbang
. Combat was a lot of fun in VR, gonna be hard to play it any other way.

I'll replay a few times to unlock everything, but fresh on my mind I think I'd rank the series so far:

RE2 > RE4 > REmake\RE > RE5 > RE7 > Revelations > RE3 > RE6 > RE0 > Code Veronica

I stopped Rev 2 about halfway through when I sold my original PS4, and just didn't get a drive to come back to it. I will someday, but it's not going to be a favorite I'm sure.

Kazuhira

Madhouse isn't hardcore at all,i wish i hadn't listened to some gaffers and started that mode in my first play tbh.
Too much enemies? retreat,close the door and wait until they despawn..it works 100% with every type of molded except for the
4-legged one
,that sob never gets tired of waiting.
This mode would be a real challenge if enemies were capable of opening doors and spawn anywhere they want,i would love a patch that adds something like that.

Perineum

I could get behind another harder mode being introduced as DLC for the entire game. Madder House.

HAVE to beat the game in under 3 hours, no saves, 1 hit you die and restart entire game. Muahahahhaahhahaahha.

Duxxy3

Start off my mini review with the negative first: This is still not a Resident Evil to me. I've been with the series since the PS1. Before I even had a memory card (true no death runs!). It has many of the same ideas, but not the feel.

With that said... I loved this game. From beginning to end. It was essentially what I thought PT would be when it was finally released.

It played perfectly on my PC. Absolutely no complaints there. The RE engine looks terrific and I can't wait to see what Capcom does next with it.

Audio was creepy, but for whatever reason there were some effects that sounded muffled. I knew what they were, but they weren't as sharp as they should have been.

I'm not sure if there will be another Resident Evil like this, but I can say right now that I'll be back for more replays in the future.

Pinky

Banned
Start off my mini review with the negative first: This is still not a Resident Evil to me. I've been with the series since the PS1. Before I even had a memory card (true no death runs!). It has many of the same ideas, but not the feel.

With that said... I loved this game. From beginning to end. It was essentially what I thought PT would be when it was finally released.

It played perfectly on my PC. Absolutely no complaints there. The RE engine looks terrific and I can't wait to see what Capcom does next with it.

Audio was creepy, but for whatever reason there were some effects that sounded muffled. I knew what they were, but they weren't as sharp as they should have been.

I'm not sure if there will be another Resident Evil like this, but I can say right now that I'll be back for more replays in the future.

After playing 7 and absolutely loving it, I now want Capcom to do REmake in first-person.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
I'm stuck in my madhouse run. I can't get past the part where
Lucas traps you and makes you fight two fat molded.
Any tips?

Drahcir

Thanks, Pinky and Squall, for the help! That should get me through Easy mode quick and painlessly until my third run on Madhouse where I'll probably cry my eyes out and curse the heavens trying to pass.

Any tips?
I had 5 flame rounds at that point. What I did was pop one of them in the face twice with the repaired shotgun while the elevator was still descending and quickly swapped to the grenade launcher. I then blasted it at their feet while they were still in the elevator from around the corner where their puke couldn't hit me. Keep blasting their feet as they step out as it staggers or stuns them. Once out of grenades, swap back to shotgun and plug their heads. You can use the hay stack to separate yourself a bit but make sure there's enough distance that the puke doesn't still hit you. I also ran upstairs so that I could aim down and get free head shots as they ascended the steps, defenseless. Killed them both up there. I imagine if you don't quickly finish them up there, you could run around them and back down the steps and get more free shots in.
Thanks, Pinky and Squall, for the help! That should get me through Easy mode quick and painlessly until my third run on Madhouse where I'll probably cry my eyes out and curse the heavens trying to pass.

NP, doing that run will help you in madhouse. Even if you elect to not use the round saw, you can equip both defense objects so that you take 0% damage when you block.

dcx4610

I haven't kept up. Does the game support VR with the Vive on PC or only PSVR? After playing the game, I can definitely see wanting to play it again in VR. It almost feels like it was designed specifically for VR.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
I had 5 flame rounds at that point. What I did was pop one of them in the face twice with the repaired shotgun while the elevator was still descending and quickly swapped to the grenade launcher. I then blasted it at their feet while they were still in the elevator from around the corner where their puke couldn't hit me. Keep blasting their feet as they step out as it staggers or stuns them. Once out of grenades, swap back to shotgun and plug their heads. You can use the hay stack to separate yourself a bit but make sure there's enough distance that the puke doesn't still hit you. I also ran upstairs so that I could aim down and get free head shots as they ascended the steps, defenseless. Killed them both up there. I imagine if you don't quickly finish them up there, you could run around them and back down the steps and get more free shots in.

NP, doing that run will help you in madhouse. Even if you elect to not use the round saw, you can equip both defense objects so that you take 0% damage when you block.
Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this.

Ricker

I could get behind another harder mode being introduced as DLC for the entire game. Madder House.

HAVE to beat the game in under 3 hours, no saves, 1 hit you die and restart entire game. Muahahahhaahhahaahha.

There's a word for this lol ;) but I bet some people would beat it.

I haven't kept up. Does the game support VR with the Vive on PC or only PSVR? After playing the game, I can definitely see wanting to play it again in VR. It almost feels like it was designed specifically for VR.

Pretty sure its just PSVR for now.

Had two successful runs on Ethan Must Die, I'll link one of them if anyone's interested. Misses out the first nine mins or so. I got lucky, scored an Albert and the game was dishing out enhanced rounds like candy. I nearly fudged the run a few times, but it was all good. Sorry about my extremely cautious, indecisive play style.

https://youtu.be/hsK7rr_8Z9U

Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this.

Whoops, forgot the closing bracket for my spoiler haha but at least what I said isn't actually a spoiler. Fixed it anyway. No problem, friend and I hope you whoop their ass tonight! I should add in that I didn't stay at the top of the steps to shoot them, I believe I looked over the railing just besides the stairs to shoot down at them. I'm not positive if they'd pull some cheap crap where they barf up the steps if you were standing in line with the stair well. Better safe than sorry! Good luck!

valeu

i just "noped out" for the first time. i used the
red and blue key cards
and opened the door and went up the stairs. after doing the
birthday video i'm sure this lucas section is going to be like saw, the door says something like "come in, let's party".
but i chickened out and turned off the game and will try again tomorrow. i don't know why, but
traps and me being tortured in vr
scares me more than classic horror
killer dad stalking me or possessed spider mom crawling around on the walls

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Any tips?
I used grenade launcher neuro rounds to slow them down then enhanced handgun ammo to the head to finish them off. Keep moving and put your hands up to block if the vomit is going to hit you.

Just had a pretty great moment, I got the red keycard, opened the nearby door and as soon as I realized where I was I was like "Ok, cool shortcut but why the hell would I go back here?" Then I walked back up the stairs...

HEY THESE BUGS CAN FUCK THEMSELVES

ZWUfD2W.gif

Typical Old House run

And we laughed at Wesker for taking the time to shoot those bees in that hallway

Just wrapped it up, awesome game.
Definitely agree with the people saying the game loses it's way a bit at the end, I preferred the setting of the first half. The lack of enemies starts to hit you too. It's crazy they didn't do any animal Molded. It would make sense for the Baker's to have pets, they could have done the traditional dogs at the least. It's a huge shame they set a game in a bayou and didn't have an alligator.

Still a really fun game though. After finishing it I can see why some people believe it started as a VR game, but it has some really intense scenes and the pacing is great, to me the enemy repetition is more of nitpick, especially since you're blowing through them by the end anyway.

Speaking of, the whole mine sequence felt really unnecessary to me. I didn't quite understand why there was Molded down there, Jack says he picked up the girl from the boat, so when did she have the opportunity to go there? Can she send a single Molded down to spread it without going herself? But story aside, the combat seemed like a lame obligatory difficulty bump for the end of the game, I'd have liked it better if they just did more psychological horror stuff on the road to the final boss.

I'm curious to check out the DLC, but I'm going to go ahead and sell it for now. I'll pick up the complete edition for PS4 (I had already got the X1 version a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me a PS4 Pro earlier this week, I was sort of annoyed the whole time that I could have been playing a better version of it).

I'll have to give it some time to process, but right now I think I like this almost as much as 4. It's weird, I kind of want to start a new game right now and I'm not sure why. 4's gameplay is a lot more fun, aiming at limbs to set up melee attacks is always satisfying, and playing the game a second time when you've really got the combat done was really fun. The shooting in 7 isn't nearly as entertaining, and once you know where to go and where the enemies are it's basically a walking sim. Yet it still seems weirdly repayable to to me.

I think it's because they nailed the tone so well. The game is beautiful, I'm shocked at how great it looks while still running at 60 fps, and just walking around taking in the atmosphere is really engaging. Can't wait to see what they do with 8.

Zakalwe

Banned
Seems like such a worthless pick after getting the Albert gun

Not at all.

It's another gun that gives you x amounts of shots you wouldn't usually have. When I unlocked it on my MH run I had 5 bullets already. That's five dead molded (head shots). You can't really argue with that.

Plus I'll find more ammo as I go. It's worth it.

Just wrapped it up, awesome game.
Definitely agree with the people saying the game loses it's way a bit at the end, I preferred the setting of the first half. The lack of enemies starts to hit you too. It's crazy they didn't do any animal Molded. It would make sense for the Baker's to have pets, they could have done the traditional dogs at the least. It's a huge shame they set a game in a bayou and didn't have an alligator.

Still a really fun game though. After finishing it I can see why some people believe it started as a VR game, but it has some really intense scenes and the pacing is great, to me the enemy repetition is more of nitpick, especially since you're blowing through them by the end anyway.

Speaking of, the whole mine sequence felt really unnecessary to me. I didn't quite understand why there was Molded down there, Jack says he picked up the girl from the boat, so when did she have the opportunity to go there? Can she send a single Molded down to spread it without going herself? But story aside, the combat seemed like a lame obligatory difficulty bump for the end of the game, I'd have liked it better if they just did more psychological horror stuff on the road to the final boss.

I'm curious to check out the DLC, but I'm going to go ahead and sell it for now. I'll pick up the complete edition for PS4 (I had already got the X1 version a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me a PS4 Pro earlier this week, I was sort of annoyed the whole time that I could have been playing a better version of it).

I'll have to give it some time to process, but right now I think I like this almost as much as 4. It's weird, I kind of want to start a new game right now and I'm not sure why. 4's gameplay is a lot more fun, aiming at limbs to set up melee attacks is always satisfying, and playing the game a second time when you've really got the combat done was really fun. The shooting in 7 isn't nearly as entertaining, and once you know where to go and where the enemies are it's basically a walking sim. Yet it still seems weirdly repayable to to me.

I think it's because they nailed the tone so well. The game is beautiful, I'm shocked at how great it looks while still running at 60 fps, and just walking around taking in the atmosphere is really engaging. Can't wait to see what they do with 8.
Play on madhouse and almost all the enemy spawns are different AFAIR.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Aaaand madhouse done. Damn, they really didn't want you to go straight for
the ladder at the end of the gauntlet with the fat molded. My plan of remote bomb to down them then go up the ladder was foiled nicely. Such a good change to force you in to fighting them at the end.

Don't know wheth3r I'll bother going for achievements or not. Seems like it'll just be tedious. Might juat leave the game until the DLC comes to PC. But anyways, RE7 is now firmly my second favourite in the series behind RE4.

Also the game just crashed in the middle of the credits lol. Unsure if that means I have to beat the final boss again to get whatever post game unlockables you get for beating madhouse. Meh, whatever.

Aaaand madhouse done. Damn, they really didn't want you to go straight for
the ladder at the end of the gauntlet with the fat molded. My plan of remote bomb to down them then go up the ladder was foiled nicely. Such a good change to force you in to fighting them at the end.

Don't know wheth3r I'll bother going for achievements or not. Seems like it'll just be tedious. Might juat leave the game until the DLC comes to PC. But anyways, RE7 is now firmly my second favourite in the series behind RE4.

Also the game just crashed in the middle of the credits lol. Unsure if that means I have to beat the final boss again to get whatever post game unlockables you get for beating madhouse. Meh, whatever.

You could probably knock out the speed run, meds, and item box trophies in one go. Especially if the game successfully marked that you completed Madhouse and gives you
Infinite ammo.

Finished the game (on Normal) and was utterly disappointed with everything after the first 2 hours.

The whole intro and first house was a great start, liked how intensely personal everything was and I got really into it (that first
Mia sequence and battle had me shocked at how graphic it got and how silly the premise was of fighting her one handed while my other stump arm bleeds profusely
, felt very Resident Evil Dead), it truly felt like a new start and a nice comeback to the series. Then the Moulded appeared and ruined the rest of the game with their piss poor visual and encounter design and the insistence of
bringing B.O.W.'s back, in the form of Veruca Salt and her stupid slime monsters this time

Dervius

Finished the game (on Normal) and was utterly disappointed with everything after the first 2 hours.

The whole intro and first house was a great start, liked how intensely personal everything was and I got really into it (that first
Mia sequence and battle had me shocked at how graphic it got and how silly the premise was of fighting her one handed while my other stump arm bleeds profusely
, felt very Resident Evil Dead), it truly felt like a new start and a nice comeback to the series. Then the Moulded appeared and ruined the rest of the game with their piss poor visual and encounter design and the insistence of
bringing B.O.W.'s back, in the form of Veruca Salt and her stupid slime monsters this time

There are a few bits here I disagree with, but I do agree with the high qualkity of the first couple hours.

Thing is, as a game, how do you extend that to a full 6 or so hours? Its strictly linear and very cinematic but leaves very little "gameplay" to speak of. As part of the resi formula, you need to explore your surroundings, and you need some kind of opposition. The Jack / Marguerite pursuit/patrol sections were cool but would have gotten very old over time.

I just don't know how else you extend the bits you say you enjoyed to a full length video game.

That boss fight at the end of Ethan Must Die is actually pretty easy, if you just stay in the corner next to the turret on the second floor.

Planet

You have been warned.
I'd like to add an extra warning: it's worthless silly shit. I don't know who invented the rule that videos that introduce a still "horror girl face" image at a random moment accompanied with very loud shrieks are scary. They are not. Boring crap that doesn't do the great atmosphere of the game justice.

Ricker

I'd like to add an extra warning: it's worthless silly shit. I don't know who invented the rule that videos that introduce a still "horror girl face" image at a random moment accompanied with very loud shrieks are scary. They are not. Boring crap that doesn't do the great atmosphere of the game justice.

That 1973 Linda Blair makeup though...pretty awesome for the time and one,if not THE,most scary/creepy movie I ever saw... ;)

Just got
out of the ship
and I'm assuming I'm at the last save point before the finale.

It's been fun! I feel like it was 60% classic RE, 20% action RE and 20% something new. The mansion oddly didn't feel very big at all.

Top Bottom