• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Unai

I just remember some people talking about this game being around 8 hours in length. I am at about 6 hours after getting
the snake key.
Very good to hear!

I play very slowly, so my first playthrough (normal mode) were in more that 12 hours.

Sesha

Just checked Metacritic out of curiosity (I know), and lol at the amount of 0-1 user reviews. Basically all of them can be summarised as "but first person" too.

Tareskog

Yeah, sounds like it will take me that amount of time as well. No way can I play this quickly in VR. Absolutely terrifying.

I took it quite slow myself. Find an item, run back and save - repeat. The last part
after the boat
I probably rushed a bit more, but that was because I found it weaker than the former parts. Clocked it in at 10h44min. Didn't find many bobbing heads at all, but only missed two notes. At first I doubted that I would bother to replay the game, but now I sm more certain that I will try again. Just so I can find rest of the collectibles.

Patchy

Banned
Finished...

Liked it alot, and haven't played a horror game in a very long time.

However I really felt that the game fell apart, setting and story wise, about 2/3 of the way through.

Alien Isolation does this style of game much better.

7/10

televator

You know one thing out of several that impresses me so far is how they managed to capture the essence on crazy hill billy culture. I swear I've met people like the family in this game. lol

Piichan

Banned
Wow, the speed run trophy is actually pretty easy when you know what you're doing. Beat the game last night in just under 3 hours.

valeu

i'm on the
ship
and enjoying this change of pace: having a
machine gun and i like the flashbacks and forward
. i'm curious. this part is so focused on mia's
backstory,
what would have happened if i hadn't
saved her
?

i'm on the
ship
backstory,
saved her
?

Same thing but with one difference at the end of it all.

i'm on the
ship
backstory,
saved her
?

Nothing would change.
No matter if you pick Zoe or Mia, somehow Mia wakes up by the ship after the boat is attacked by Eveline. There is a change later on, however, depending on who you choose. But I won't spoil that for you.

Finished up to
the shipwreck. I am slightly confused as to what happened. Can someone give me the TLDR as to how Mia and Evelyn know each other.

Well, I played the old videotape sequence.

Oh sorry. Well my understanding is that Mia was working for some Umbrella-like company and helping to transport Eveline to a new facility. She was basically Eveline's 'caretaker'. So when she told Ethan she had a baby-sitting gig, she wasn't really lying, but she sure as shit was telling him the whole truth. The ship crashed when Eveline got out of control and the Bakers found Eveline and Mia.

elohel

I feel like the biggest loser I'm having such a hard time with the
second jack encounter with the chainsaw
, I keep dying or running out of ammo I'm tempted to just watch a video :/

bumpkin

Get yourself the chainsaw when he goes for the giant scissors, cut him down to size. I vague remember if I had the chainsaw at the ready (with L2/LT) when he took swipes, it deflected the attack a bit. Also, be aware you can push the hanging bodies into him and that will stagger him or disrupt his attack.

I died and/or ran out of ammo several times before I finally used that strategy instead.

The hardest for me on madhouse 1st run was the
two fat molded at the end of the mine

I don't know how I managed this but after about 10 tries I just utterly destroyed it in around a minute.

Spoilers for late game encounter but no story in this video.

https://youtu.be/sLA2X_Yk3iI

Because it's not really a mansion, it's just a large house with adjoining properties. The only part of the Baker Estate that I find remotely rediculous is the size of their basement...why the fuck is their a Crematorium in a home? Doesn't make any sense.

I assumed that the whole basement area had been built out by
jack and other under Eveline's control. There's evidence of the happy birthday room being contracted by a outside company. Who's to say they didnt get used by eveline for a few years to build out the basement?

//ARCANUM

Quick question checking how far I am into the game. I'm at the part where I'm
Mia chasing Eveline around on the boat
. What % into the game would you say I am? And about how much more time would you guesstimate til the end?

Also is the
choosing Zoe over Mia for the serum
the bad end people were talking about? Or is there something else? Is it worth it to go back and
choose Zoe?

mujun

I found it a little difficult, too. Only difficult boss fight or even encounter I had on normal difficulty in the whole game.

I brute forced it in that I
stayed on his ass after he got his chainsaw and beat him with a combination of blocking, circling and health drinks. I did the part before that just using the bags, dodging and slashing at his face with the knife.

televator

Finished! Very solid game and entry into the franchise. Definitely bringing the horror back as well as other elements, not just from previous REs, but also other franchises like Silent Hill and FEAR.

I do have some complaints though. Mostly with the molded enemies. Their coloring makes them difficult to fight in low light environments. They could have at least made their eyes glow and made them a few shades lighter. The lack of melee also means they can easily back you into a corner and go to town on you.

Mengetsu

So, before it spreads completely over the internet, does anyone know who actually wrote Resident Evil 7?

First guess is the Revelations 2 guy.
From wiki:
The game was directed by Koshi Nakanishi, who previously helmed Resident Evil: Revelations, leading a development team exclusively from Capcom Japan numbering at about 120 staff. However, for the first time in the series, the narrative designer was a westerner, Richard Pearsey, writer of the two expansion packs of F.E.A.R. and one of the narrative designers of Spec Ops: The Line.
Seems like a mix of the team in Japan and Richard overseeing and helping with it overall?

dlauv

From wiki:

Honestly, that should be deleted.

The wiki bit is sourced from a June 2016 article, and one of many articles that reported on Pearsey's vague, deleted tweet.
Pearsey, who also wrote F.E.A.R., is the series' first western writer on a major Resident Evil title. He shared his involvement on his Twitter account, saying, ”This has been quite a trip. Very glad to have played a part."
He's credited as Consultant in the credits of RE7.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
that shit was creepy as hell. i had my flamethrower ready though ;D

I ended up doing that battle with only my shotgun and handgun since I didn't have ammo for the
flamethrower
, and I didn't
go get the grenade launcher yet
at that point.

Ran out of ammo and ended up finishing the battle with my knife lol.

dlauv

FEAR writer being involved explains so much about how the last 1/4th of the story played out lol.

Does it? I mean, he only wrote the DLC for F.E.A.R. I think the more likely scenario was Capcom hired him because they were coming up with their own ghost girl and wanted advice/input.

Ernest

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but does the DLC/add-on content have new areas/environments not in the main game?

myco666

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but does the DLC/add-on content have new areas/environments not in the main game?

Banned Footage vol.1 has three modes and only one of those is totally new area. Other two are modified versions from existing areas.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Not sure if this is of interest to people here, but I just started working at an indie gaming studio, Outpost Games, which is composed of many former Visceral staffers who worked on all three Dead Space games. We're going to be doing a group stream of Resident Evil 7 this Wednesday at 6pm PST on twitch.tv/outpostgames where we go into the design influences that the RE series had on the Dead Space games while trying not to give away the fact that we're way more scared of horror games than we really should be. Join us if you're at all curious about the design process of survival horror games.

C4WRxDwVMAAmC6J.jpg:large

emb

Played a little more last night. Think I'm gonna have to seriously just play in non-VR mode. Spooky enough as is, but I was wondering around looking for
dog heads
, opened a secret passage and
this black sludge creature started crawling out of a wall
. I immediately ran away and saved and quit, lol.

Hate to water it down for myself, but I think I'm just too much of a wimp.

Top Bottom