• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I was thinking about enemy variety and what they could have done to create more.
On the Ship portion, they probably could have introduced an enemy which is simply a ship crew member being used as a vessel for the molded or something. If you pop off the head or a limb of the crew memeber, the molded portion would come out. Might create some tension since it's just like body armor of sorts. But yeah, there were dead crew members at the start of the ship area and they looked like they could be possessed or something.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Planet

Without being that far yet, I'd say just do it on easy, take your time and
use that unlimited ammo item as soon as possible. I am not sure which boss fight let's you organize items "for free" (regarding that 3 times limit) if you die, but you can use that. At the latest, just grab it when you finish the birthday party section. Should help avoiding damage of you can spam shotgun or magnum. Keep those adrenaline shots until you are deeply red. They heal "for free".

At least that's my strategy but I need to finish my speedrun and then madhouse first.

Pinky

Banned
I'm fucked if I'm speed-running on Easy and am at 2:50 and just now
making the Mia/Zoe choice before the Ship
, right? 4 hours will be pretty impossible.

Sigh. I guess I dawdled a bit too much managing things in save rooms or going around and picking up items I didn't need in the long run, like more ammo/health.

When I got to that point on my last playthrough, I was at 2:15 and beat the game at 3:05. 50 minutes. Just stay focused, sharp and haul ass. You should be fine.

Edit: Had my times messed up :p

Dusk Golem

Beat Madhouse mode this morning. All that's left trophy-wise are the two golds for limited boxes and health. Any particular strategy for those? The health one is pretty self-explanatory, but the box one sounds like it would be hard.

It's actually really easy.

Just scrap every health you get so you don't use it by accident and just don't pick anything useless up.

Also - steroids work as a heal but don't count towards the 3 heals and there are 4 in the game.

Also - grab the extra bag slots.

I did both those trophies and the 4 hour one together without the circular saw.

Truant

Gonna play the campaign again on Normal with my GF tonight. Should I just ignore the unlocks for this playthrough? They seem kinda OP, especially the gun.

It's actually really easy.

You can do the whole game so easily with just the Circular Saw and maybe the shotty and shit for the bosses.

Just scrap every health you get so you don't use it by accident and just don't pick anything useless up.

Also - steroids work as a heal but don't count towards the 3 heals and there are 4 in the game.

Also - grab the extra bag slots.

I did both those trophies and the 4 hour one together without the circular saw.

When did you get the circular saw? You have to open the box on three occasions, and the first time is mid-way through the game.

fucking impossible to avoid all the molders. I hate those enemies, FUCK

on my way to the boathouse, 3 fucking molders show up out of the blue, I wasted so many bullets on those fuckers, could not really avoid them

Dusk Golem

When did you get the circular saw? You have to open the box on three occasions, and the first time is mid-way through the game.

Sorry I explained it like a moron.
I didn't use the circular saw and still found it easy and I wrongly assumed you start off with it in your inventory on the next run. I'll amend my post.

Foffy

Banned
The only really tough enemy in the game, including bosses, were the Fat Molded IMO. Those guys ALWAYS kick my ass, especially on Madhouse.

I found them rather easy in Normal. In fact, the only hard parts on Normal, to me, were the bosses.

I would imagine Madhouse changes this...

I'm fucked if I'm speed-running on Easy and am at 2:50 and just now
making the Mia/Zoe choice before the Ship
, right? 4 hours will be pretty impossible.

Sigh. I guess I dawdled a bit too much managing things in save rooms or going around and picking up items I didn't need in the long run, like more ammo/health.

You can still do it. However, choose Mia, and don't fight ANYTHING on the ship, even the fat molded. Run, run, run. Skip the machine gun. You can complete the ship in 20-30 minutes. The mines take ~10 or less.

I did not pick up the
grenade launcher
and I am already at the
bnoathouse

Am I screwed? I am playing normal. Do I go back to the house at some point, or I lost the chance to get it?

myco666

On Ethan Must Die I have to plan the entire run around the fat molded spawns, I fucking hate them.

Entire run? You only need around 3 handgun bullets or machine gun bullets for all of them.

I did not pick up the
grenade launcher
and I am already at the
bnoathouse

Am I screwed? I am playing normal. Do I go back to the house at some point, or I lost the chance to get it?

Don't worry about it. You will get a chance to get it later.

ZeroCDR

I did not pick up the
grenade launcher
and I am already at the
bnoathouse

It will appear again later in the game in a new location, if you want it.

Fury451

Banned
I did not pick up the
grenade launcher
and I am already at the
bnoathouse

Nah, you can get it again, and even so it's not all that necessary unless you're short on ammo in general and happen to have it on you.

The other problem with molded... the weakpoint on all of them was the head. Going for other limbs to cripple them as the game tips try to have you do, doesn't really do much as you end up still spending more ammo then to kill any of the molded.

Dervius

I've written an Achievement Guide for the game that lists the Achievements in my recommended order for getting them. I think this will be the most convenient one to use, although I had to keep the tips minimal on the speedrun and Madhouse portions. Please check it out:

Resident Evil 7 Achievement and Trophy Guide (Windows Central)

I saw this last night when I was planning my next run.

It's a great guide, thanks for the effort.

The other problem with molded... the weakpoint on all of them was the head. Going for other limbs to cripple them as the game tips try to have you do, doesn't really do much as you end up still spending more ammo then to kill any of the molded.

Yeah, I thought that was a flaw as well. I guess maybe it's usefull if you just want to make them easier to run around, maybe?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just beat
final Jack on madhouse. Fuuuuuck that was intense. Used all my enhanced handgun and grenade launcher ammo on him, and a good amount of my shotgun ammo too.

Yeah I realized that part way through too. First few I came across I shot their legs out then stabbed them in the head thinking it would save ammo but it doesn't really. Better off and safer just to shoot them all in the head. Plus the head is even easier to hit I thought because it's so bulbous.

Unai

For the box one, you basically can never optionally open the item box as you essentially have to use the item box three times during the course of the game anyway.

You have to use the item box three times to (spoilers):

-Drop all your stuff off before going into Lucas' Happy Birthday scenario.
-Pick up all your stuff after Lucas' Happy Birthday scenario.
-Get all your stuff back after the Ship and before the Mines.

So really, the Item Box challenge is to never use the item box except in the three instances you need to in the game. Just have to be mindful of what you're carrying and make sure you're never carrying things you can't drop you don't need. Try to only stick to weapons you know you want/need.

It might be easier if you open the box as soon as possible to get infinity ammo and the circular saw,
and do not get the grenade launcher at all until after you take control of Nathan again, since this weapon will be there in the salt mines, so just use it until the end.

Drahcir

I just passed the game on Normal and want to do my 4hr speedrun on Easy next. Is it possible to do that with just the
Albert-01R gun with Enhanced Ammo (mainly for boss battles)
and skip most of the other guns? I just don't want to waste time if the enemies and bosses in Easy are easy to kill.

Vuze

Will I need the scorpion key after unlocking the two (1 shortcut, 1 story) doors? Inventory management is a bitch :v

Pinky

Banned
I just passed the game on Normal and want to do my 4hr speedrun on Easy next. Is it possible to do that with just the
and skip most of the other guns? I just don't want to waste time if the enemies and bosses in Easy are easy to kill.

I would grab the Broken Shotgun from granny's room on the 2nd floor(have the Scorpion Key) and use the Repair Kit found right outside, beyond the 3 Dog Head door(between the steps/behind the sheet of tin/under the deck). If quick, you should be able to do all this within 1-2 minutes.

Will I need the scorpion key after unlocking the two (1 shortcut, 1 story) doors? Inventory management is a bitch :v

No, you're good. It's only used for the shortcut in the Main Hall and granny's room on the 2nd floor.

Don't even worry about it, you have soooo much time. Just to emphasize this on my speed run I also collected every coin, did the chievo for 3 or less box openings, chievo for 3 or less heals, and the back off Mrs. B chievo and still did it in time. Oh, I also opened the box right off the bad for the weapon in your spoiler at the beginning which caused me to do the end stretch with no weapons because of that box chievo lol Still beat it in time so you just purely speed running will likely beat it just under or over 3 hrs.

Anyway, you should be fine with that but I'd still grab the shotgun. What I did was
do the Jack chainsaw battle before using the scorpion key upstairs. By killing him there, you don't have to deal with him prowling when you go upstairs with the scorpion key. Then you grab the broken shotgun and leave the house, get the repair kit in the lawn and you have the best shotgun without having to waste time or inventory space swapping shotguns around.

Nope, only used for the two doors.

Just beat
final Jack on madhouse. Fuuuuuck that was intense. Used all my enhanced handgun and grenade launcher ammo on him, and a good amount of my shotgun ammo too.
Nice, just did that last night myself.
I was somewhat dreading this fight knowing it would be an ammo sink and I used every last shotgun shell and killed him with just two bullets left in my pistol...I had no idea how many shots it would take to finish him off so thought I was screwed for a second haha Then I realized my dumb ass forgot to swap to enhanced ammo with the pistol so no wonder it took a million shots to kill each eye /facepalm Guess I have plenty of enhanced ammo for the remainder of the game... I stopped at the start of the tape on the ship so hopefully will be able to finish it all up tonight but for sure this weekend and Platinum get!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My second run is all collectibles + no box + no healing. Trying the speedrun was only secondary and I'm probably way behind on schedule at this point I'm 1:45 in and just heading
to the old house
. I'll have to retry that when I don't have to worry about the other goals and I can use the bonuses.

Vuze

Man, that fight for the red dog head is annoying... always kills me with the rush attack after the third stage(? I guess). Any tips? Controls are too clumsy for the required "instant turn away and runnnn" move.

Manu

Man, that fight for the red dog head is annoying... always kills me with the rush attack after the third stage(? I guess). Any tips? Controls are too clumsy for the required "instant turn away and runnnn" move.

Block with L1. Makes the fight a piece of cake even in Madhouse.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Question since I cant actually remember from my normal run. Do items carry over from
Mia ship tape segment to the present day ship section? I don't think they do and it wouldn't make any sense that they do but I just want to make sure.

Vuze

Thanks for the help everyone, that did it. I assume
he is done for good now? Atleast in so far that I don't have to worry about him roaming around in the floors? Also what's up with the snake doors? Backtracking incoming?

Question since I cant actually remember from my normal run. Do items carry over from
Mia ship tape segment to the present day ship section? I don't think they do and it wouldn't make any sense that they do but I just want to make sure.
No
Thanks for the help everyone, that did it. I assume
he is done for good now? Atleast in so far that I don't have to worry about him roaming around in the floors? Also what's up with the snake doors? Backtracking incoming?
You won't have to deal with him roaming around the house now so you can loot to your heart's content...for now mwahahaha Yeah, you'll have to come back for the snake key and access those rooms as part of the story.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Exodust said:
For funsies here's my rankings:

RE4 > RE2 > REmake > RE3 > RE7 > RE5 > RE:CV

Only ranking the games I really like. REmake made RE1 obsolete so it's not included, also no spin off games(I don't count CV as one) although some of them are fun.

My rankings -

RE 4 > RE 2 > RE:CV > REmake > RE Zero > RE VII > RE 5 > RE 3 > RE 6.

I think that RE 2 is the better overall game and "more" RE than RE 4 but I played through RE 4 a crap load of times and I love the upgrading, etc. RE VII is a step in the right direction and for me, a good 8/10 game but hoping they go back to the over the shoulder third person or at the very least, allow you to choose between first person and third person. I want to see the character and the combat was solid against enemies one on one but bosses were horrible as I was fighting the perspective more than the boss.

Hoping that RE 8 also adds in better, smarter and tougher puzzles as they all sucked in RE VII. Didn't like the story or the areas that you're in for the last one third of the game. One main character basically disappears at one point and there's never any conclusion with that character.

And Easy Allies gave me another thing I would like to see. Copying the RE 2 setup where you select one character, finish the game and then play through the game again as the other character.

gelf

Madhouse is kicking my ass in a way no mode in RE ever has before. I'm not good at this at all. Loved the game on normal but this is proving too much of a step up.

Wish I could just play on normal only with the cassette saving and arranged items and enemies but without them being extra bullet proof or having to deal with a faster Jack.

Pinky

Banned
Madhouse is kicking my ass in a way no mode in RE ever has before. I'm not good at this at all. Loved the game on normal but this is proving too much of a step up.

Wish I could just play on normal only with the cassette saving and arranged items and enemies but without them being extra bullet proof or having to deal with a faster Jack.

I haven't played Madhouse yet, but have you obtained the Circular Saw? I've read it works wonders on this difficulty.

gelf

I haven't played Madhouse yet, but have you obtained the Circular Saw? I've read it works wonders on this difficulty.

No I haven't. I guess I could try and unlock that first but would that then trivialize madhouse encounters and give me the opposite problem?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I started madhouse straight after my normal run and I hate this advice. It's absolutely not necessary to unlock another weapon that frankly sounds game breaking.

My advice is simply to learn the importance of avoiding enemies and blocking. Just beating the game on normal you unlock a scroll that gives you better blocking. Equip that and you'll take very little damage when blocking. Do not engage any molded other than crawling molded in combat, and even they only go down in 1 headshot. I'm at the
Mia ship tape
section of madhouse and you know how many standard molded I've even fired a shot at? One. Block and run around everything.

Pinky

Banned
No I don't. I guess I could try and unlock that first but would that then trivialize madhouse encounters and give me the opposite problem?

Several posters have said Madhouse is best played without it if you really want a worthy challenge. Apparently, the saw turns Madhouse into Easy/Normal mode. Me? When I attempt Madhouse, I'll have the saw with me at all times. Madhouse intimidates me, so I want to have the best weapons at my disposal.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Where exactly are you up to at the moment and what in particular are you struggling with right now?

Top Bottom