• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

MrBS

First area done. Wow. I was not ready for this! Already the plot is getting interesting and the sheer polish of this game is something to behold. The filthy house you inhabit, every inch oozes that hand crafted touch of an artist to make it that more disgusting. Fantastic so far.

This is the most intense thing I've ever played in my life. I feel like I'm having to stop every 20 minutes to prevent me from just closing app.

I've never really been scared of horror films but everything about this is completely unnerving. Stunning game.

So uhh
Second time you fight dad, the only way to kill him is the chainsaw right? I could not get it because I had a bunch of stuff in my inventory I would have had to destroy.
I seriously put 20 shells into his head, 30-40 pistol rounds and tons of knife attacks and nothing. Guess I just have to put some stuff away before the fight right?

pitchfork

Right here goes!

Gonna grab a few hours before work

Was hoping the thick fog we've been wallowing in in the south of England for the past few days would linger, but alas, the sun is shining

Curtains drawn it is

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well gonna try it then. I'm terrified.

not even joking lol :/

Anyone figure out what's the point of the
wooden toy axe
item? I know that the
wooden toy shotgun
is so you can grab the broken shotgun back and repair but not clue what that's for.

Think I'm over halfway now. The game is the tits.

Agree with the evil dead/texas chainsaw massacre vibe, but I think the fact that the game is pure science fiction horror rather than supernatural horror means once you've adjusted to what's going on in the house the scares mellow a little and it just becomes a pure thrill. It's definitely not as scary as PT for example, but I'd imagine that the game is just relentlessly intense if you play it in VR.

Loving the renaissance of classic RE tropes and puzzles mixed with sharp gameplay and a fun story.

ISee

So uhh
Second time you fight dad, the only way to kill him is the chainsaw right? I could not get it because I had a bunch of stuff in my inventory I would have had to destroy.
I seriously put 20 shells into his head, 30-40 pistol rounds and tons of knife attacks and nothing. Guess I just have to put some stuff away before the fight right?

It is the only way.

Hey guys how's the Outlast clone so far (lol)

Outlast meets Texas chainsaw massacre meets evil dead. It's great!

It is the only way.

Outlast meets Texas chainsaw massacre meets evil dead. It's great!

How many spaces does it take? I need to figure out how much to clear. I think that was a stupid decision. Should allow you to pick it up regardless of inventory. Or if you drop gear, pick it back up.

seady

VR really add so much to the experience... having to physically move yourself to peak around the corner from stalker is so real and terrifying.

I am a big horror game fan and hardly get scared nowadays. This game made me scream many times already.

Sanctuary

What you need to do is
find the thing that lets you solve the puzzle with the lamp in the big entry room
. You should have used the
mia tape upstairs to get a similar puzzle. I don't remember where you get the thing to actually make the Eagle shape, unfortunately

I got it about five minutes after posting. It was just an issue with the interaction prompt not ever showing up for me
in the damn tub
, despite looking all over it almost a half a dozen times.

JJShadow

I really, really want to play this, but after reading all your impressions I'm afraid it might be too scary for me. I have played and beaten all the previous RE, Dead Space 1&2, Silent Hill 1&2 and The Evil Within, and I didn't find any of them scary enough to make me stop playing. However, I couldn't stand Amnesia, Outlast or the cheap jump scares in Until Dawn

What do you think guys? How does it compare with these titles in terms of tension/scare jumps?

So, I was hoping the PC version had HDR like Capcom said it would. It does. However, I guess make sure you want what you ask for right? With HDR on, I can't set the screen to 1440p and have it full screen. Instead, I get a box in the middle of my screen. To get HDR and full screen, I have to set it to 2160p, which of course limits me to 30fps (and sometimes lower...). It's perfectly playable, and it looks pretty nice.

But, I wanted to shut HDR off so that I could run it in 1440p just to see the difference, and either the implementation of it is just really fucking bad, or my TV doesn't want to play nice. If I shut HDR off, the screen gets mega bright, as though there's almost no shadows at all. Adjusting the brightness and black level doesn't really do anything to help, other than wash all of the textures out into dithering, pixellated blobs. My TV also forces me to use HDR each time I reset the game. Even if I shut off Ultra HDMI Color and then the start the game, my TV detects a game that uses HDR and forces me to restart the TV to enable it no matter what.

:(

Same I am getting some weird ass issues with my TV, HDR and the game. My TV is fake HDR so I don't want to use it, but the game sort of forced it on, and when the game has it on the colors and look of the game goes nuts, it looks super saturated, just terrible. Turn HDR off and the game goes super bright. I'm not sure what I should do. It looks ok with it off but I fear it's not as good as it should be.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is it me or the game has some low ass resolution textures up close? I maxed out everything and it runs fine, but for example at the very start when you go to open the van (this isnt a spoiler its literally the first minute of you walking around) those are some uglt textures on the van door and shit.

It kinda reminded me of those ps4 vs pro pictures you guys were posting so im wondering if theres an opion I havent checked or something?

Just like Revelations 2, when I was one of the only ones not bashing it before release (and before many did an 180). Hope we're over this shit now for the next Resident Evil games. These guys know what they are doing again.

3o7TKv1023zOUgkh5C.gif

is it me or the game has some low ass resolution textures up close? I maxed out everything and it runs fine, but for example at the very start when you go to open the van (this isnt a spoiler its literally the first minute of you walking around) those are some uglt textures on the van door and shit.

It kinda reminded me of those ps4 vs pro pictures you guys were posting so im wondering if theres an opion I havent checked or something?
The van stood out to me (on the Pro) as well. Seems like a bug. Haven't seen anything like that since.

azz0r

Banned
I'm probably late to the party but it seems like destroying the baby bobble heads is a thing - maybe finding them all unlocks something!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People playing in VR...are you using a digital turning feature like the default in the demo or are you on analog?

Is the analog making you queasy?

void666

Banned
I really, really want to play this, but after reading all your impressions I'm afraid it might be too scary for me. I have played and beaten all the previous RE, Dead Space 1&2, Silent Hill 1&2 and The Evil Within, and I didn't find any of them scary enough to make me stop playing. However, I couldn't stand Amnesia, Outlast or the cheap jump scares in Until Dawn

What do you think guys? How does it compare with these titles in terms of tension/scare jumps?

I'm not far into the game but i think if you can handle those games you can handle this. To be honest, so far i don't think RE7 is scary at all. Creepy and disgusting, yeah. But not scary.

The motion capture on the first open cutscene looked weird as fuck. The way the mouth moved on that character was super creepy, lol.

Anyway, i'm actually enjoying it more than the demo. The atmosphere is great, but it probably helped that I started playing it around 10pm. I doubt I could handle playing this in VR though.

azz0r

Banned
Small tip for the bug part, opening doors slightly and then knifing attacking bugs is easier as they can't reach you but you can hit them!

My plan is yakuza in the daytime and then RE7 when my lady gets home. If she tries to troll me and touch me while I'm in the virtual world she's getting an earful.

ValfarHL

I hope it's soon. I just reached
The house by the water

You just spoiled his answer. :(

I don't want to know anything, I'm just here reading impressions.
Guess I shouldn't be here with my fear of spoilers, but if everyone just tags anything that's in spoiler territory, it's safer for us all.

simtmb

Game is brilliant. Have had to take a few breaks every now and then though the moment I feel anything, as I'm still not completely settled with VR yet.

Not far in but so far I can't really fault anything, I don't even have a set idea of what RE should be as I've honestly enjoyed most of them, and despite my love for the series, I really couldn't care less which direction they take with it, but admittedly, I love this.

What a month.

For anyone who's been to the old house:
Is there an easier way to take down those
insect nests
except bullets and
flamethrower
? I am short on ammo with both.

Brix

I literally can't go on youtube without people spoiling RE7 in thumbnails it's getting ridiculous. I'm watching basketball videos and I get "OMG FINAL BOSS RE7" in my recommended BS.

I literally can't go on youtube without people spoiling RE7 in thumbnails it's getting ridiculous. I'm watching basketball videos and I get "OMG FINAL BOSS RE7" in my recommended BS.
People are playing fast and loose with spoilers in here and the review thread too and I'm not usually sensitive to that.

Sanctuary

Same I am getting some weird ass issues with my TV, HDR and the game. My TV is fake HDR so I don't want to use it, but the game sort of forced it on, and when the game has it on the colors and look of the game goes nuts, it looks super saturated, just terrible. Turn HDR off and the game goes super bright. I'm not sure what I should do. It looks ok with it off but I fear it's not as good as it should be.

I actually "fixed" the issue regarding resolution anyway. I didn't really pay too much attention to the internal scaler initially. Setting it to 0.8 allows me to run the game at 60fps at 4K. The only issue I'm having with HDR is that I'm not actually sure what I should be seeing in game. With Youtube videos, it looks like there are almost no shadows at all, and most everywhere is a brightly lit room. On my screen, I'm getting all kinds of shadowy areas with light only hitting the areas you would think it should be hitting. However, some areas are so dark that I'm not sure if I should be turning up the brightness by +2, or if that's just how it's supposed to be.

Just now I had to force myself to stop playing after 5 hours straight. This game is seriously FANTASTIC!

wjcbLzR.gif

5 hours in spoiler: I stopped after I noticed that
I need Margarita's lantern as I saw her really long arm grab it after I fried her ass with my flamethrower.

Two things are standing out for me now:

1. The pacing so far is 100% PERFECT!

2. The game so far has no fat/filler at all.

I'm really loving all the gore by the way! As for the story, so far it seems pretty odd. But yeah, what a HUGE return to form for Resident Evil! Can't wait to dive back in tomorrow!

I played for much longer than I expected and could have easily stayed up all night with this gem. I love the fact that it feels like a RE game and a fresh experience at the same time. It's kind of amazing that, like with RE4, Capcom has managed to hit it out of the park while reinventing the game. I think they tried to do this with RE6 and came up short. Thankfully when they get it right, they smash it and deliver something that rejuvenates the genre - once again!

Top Bottom