• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

People playing in VR...are you using a digital turning feature like the default in the demo or are you on analog?

Is the analog making you queasy?

I use analog turning/free movement so I can turn around slowly to avoid getting scared extra. I've played for more than 2 hours straight on my first try and I had no nausea problems at all.
A friend of mine tried it next and he got sick within a minute, but he also did not like the angular turning.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm never playing this with the lights off again.

You can leave the lights on
but you'll be strapped to the PSVR headset

VR is something different, guys. Tense moments keep piling up and I am second guessing every virtual footstep, only to dawdle around and break my immersion once in a while by looking through a wall, so it wont get too heavy. VR is crazy shit and I reached my physical VR limit after around 2 hours for now. Definitely going to conitnue in VR though, when I continued walking around a bit without VR, I noticed its not nearly as oppressive as you still feel detached from the actual game experience.

Re turning: Analog turing made me queasy within seconds, I am fine with the 45°, but fights with lots of turning are still an issue for my head.

Neff

Anyone figure out what's the point of the
wooden toy axe
item? I know that the
wooden toy shotgun
is so you can grab the broken shotgun back and repair but not clue what that's for.

There's a hidden
light puzzle in the bushes in the Mansion grounds
and you use it on that.

Business

Don't own this game or PSVR but I'm really glad people is happy with the VR implementation in this. May pick it up when I can use it on Vive.

You can leave the lights on
but you'll be strapped to the PSVR headset

VR is something different, guys. Tense moments keep piling up and I am second guessing every virtual footstep, only to dawdle around and break my immersion once in a while by looking through a wall, so it wont get too heavy. VR is crazy shit and I reached my physical VR limit after around 2 hours for now. Definitely going to conitnue in VR though, when I continued walking around a bit without VR, I noticed its not nearly as oppressive as you still feel detached from the actual game experience.

I decided to go through my second playthrough with PSVR. I can then enjoy the immersion and focus on the experience while knowing where I'm going.

JJShadow

I'm not far into the game but i think if you can handle those games you can handle this. To be honest, so far i don't think RE7 is scary at all. Creepy and disgusting, yeah. But not scary.

Thanks! I can handle the creepy/disgusting/gore stuff, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think my problem is that feeling of being completely powerless and having nothing to fight back, so I hope you get with your first gun really early in the game lol

Thanks! I can handle the creepy/disgusting/gore stuff, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think my problem is that feeling of being completely powerless and having nothing to fight back, so I hope you get with your first gun really early in the game lol
You should absolutely play this but I think they are really underselling the tension/despair in this.

I'm just 3ish hours in but I certainly don't feel powerful or even competent in my situation yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I decided to go through my second playthrough with PSVR. I can then enjoy the immersion and focus on the experience while knowing where I'm going.

Really glad I get to experience it with VR first. It makes a huge difference to know whats happening and how I feel when huddled up against the wall, second guessing what I need to do an whether I am about to die, because I dont have any clue whatsoever what comes next. Without VR it still feels so "gamey" and I dont think a second playthrough would be able to give that tense experience.

Chairhome

I'm pretty excited to play this after hearing all the impressions.
Do I miss anything from not playing the demo? I am getting this from Gamefly later this week so I'm wondering if I should play the demo first

I'm pretty excited to play this after hearing all the impressions.
Do I miss anything from not playing the demo? I am getting this from Gamefly later this week so I'm wondering if I should play the demo first
The demo might make
the beginning
more impactful/interesting to you but I don't think it's completely essential. It will give you an accurate sense of the full game though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are people standing up to play RE7 VR or sitting down?

I tried standing for the demo for max immersion but it got too tiring and the fear was REALLY fucking getting to me.

nin1000

Banned
Holy Hell.
Just beat the first boss ! That was intense and a lot of fun lol.
The gore is ridicioulus in a way that suits this game.
it somehow reminded me of the fight against the mayor in Resident Evil 4 even though its totally different.

Toma

Are people standing up to play RE7 VR or sitting down?

I tried standing for the demo for max immersion but it got too tiring and the fear was REALLY fucking getting to me.

Standing for the first 20 minutes to "walk on the spot" in sync with the movements of the character to get used to VR, then sitting down.

liquidtmd

Banned
One thing I want to shout from the rooftops is that the production values on this feel stellar

Many in the threads over the months snarkily said 'Capcom have cheapest out by not doing a 'proper' Resident Evil'

They. Didn't

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Think I'm gonna run with this control scheme for now.

9tB0teH.jpg

Really glad I get to experience it with VR first. It makes a huge difference to know whats happening and how I feel when huddled up against the wall, second guessing what I need to do an whether I am about to die, because I dont have any clue whatsoever what comes next. Without VR it still feels so "gamey" and I dont think a second playthrough would be able to give that tense experience.

I get your point but feel that this is a title that's worthy of multiple play throughs. For me, being able to amp it up from flat plane, traditional for my first game to a fully immersive VR experience my second time feels like the right way to go. I really wanted to check out the graphics in its native resolution too since I knew it was going to be a looker. It would have been much harder to go back to the vanilla version once I've crossed the VR line.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Last night I was playing fine in full screen. But now my game won't get out of window mode.

Anyone else having this issue?

Holy Hell.
Just beat the first boss ! That was intense and a lot of fun lol.
The gore is ridicioulus in a way that suits this game.
it somehow reminded me of the fight against the mayor in Resident Evil 4 even though its totally different.

I really love how you can see visable bullet damage or cuts from your knife on the Baker's. I love how they stagger and flinch too when you keep shooting them in the face.

So many tiny details!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Welcome to the motherfucking family indded, holy shit at that first hour o_O

I assume there is no way to avoid
getting your hand chopped off
right? I fiddled with RT instead of holding it so I was wondering

Spinky

Marguerite freaks me out, man. Way scarier than Jack. She actually has me afraid to go through certain doors in case she sees me.

julrik

Easy/Normal uses auto-save and checkpoints. Madhouse does not. It also requires cassette tapes to save (similar to ink ribbons).
Great, thanks. Normal it is for me then. I'm not very fond of horror games, and limited saving makes it worse.

People playing in VR...are you using a digital turning feature like the default in the demo or are you on analog?

Is the analog making you queasy?

Analogue and normal or fast camera and walking speed, smooth crouching. Hate those segmented things or toggles. Seated.
Been playing for about 1 hour sessions at a time, not feeling any worse.

VR really makes peeking around corners great and firing in a different direction than walking. Also aiming is incredibly precise as you can literally look at what you want to hit.

luulubuu

Played just one hour

What
the
hell.

If horror games taught me something that is
IF YOU GET A MESSAGE FROM SOMEONE WHO IS PROBABLY DEAD, NEVER PICK UP THE PHONE

Played just one hour

What
the
hell.

If horror games taught me something that is
IF YOU GET A MESSAGE FROM SOMEONE WHO IS PROBABLY DEAD, NEVER PICK UP THE PHONE
Why would anyone
show up to a creepy old house, alone, in the Louisiana bayou with zero weapons?

luulubuu

Why would anyone
show up to a creepy old house, alone, in the Louisiana bayou with zero weapons?

He is probably
In love with Mia and thought "What is the worst thing that can happen to me?" I mean, after the VERY early saw+bloody beef cult thing you saw I will be like "NOPE, I NEED THE POLICE IN HERE"

Marguerite freaks me out, man. Way scarier than Jack. She actually has me afraid to go through certain doors in case she sees me.

I'm not sure if I'm getting used to how the game works and the scariness is slowly fading because of that or the fact that I feel like I'm untouchable with
my flamethrower,
but I'm not finding her that scary at all to be honest.

That could change soon though LOL. I mean it looks like she just
turned into a spider
when I stopped playing. O_O

U2NUMB

Never been a big fan of the series mainly due to how they play so going to redbox this one today and if it plays better which it sounds like it might... I will happily buy it.

Roussow

Question about the photo puzzles
I found three photographs, and managed to find the lolactions of all of them -- although I picked up the magnum ammo way before I realised I'd already looted the right location, or did I not actually grab the right item from the trailer? Uh, is that all of them in the game? Did I miss any? Oh, and is there only one repair kit in the game? I repaired the pistol first go around, is it possible to get the shotgun, too? Or do you have to pick one per playthrough?

noomi

Alright!

Very early this morning I had the absolute pleasure of playing through the first few hours of the game. Wow.... all I can say is wow. This is exactly what I want from a survival horror game, I love it, and I wouldn't change a thing so far!

Just beat the
the 2nd boss, Mr Baker.... in the chainsaw fight
and it was soooo good! I must have died a good 5 times on each of the boss fights, before it clicked and I knew what to do :p

For a while I couldn't figure out how to get
the red dragon head, because the dissection room was locked, and the place was CRAWLING with mold monsters! Once I got the shotgun and scorpion key I made quick work of them all, but wasted all of my shotgun ammo in the process haha
Feels very satisfying to figure out a little puzzle on my own and be able to make progress like this. Very rewarding!

I'm taking my time with the game, walking around, looking in every corner, every room, exploring everything!

LOVE IT

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my only nitpick from the first hour:

when you
anwser the phone
, instead of "
my name s zoe bla bla bla
" it should have been "
my name is Ada bla bla bla
"

how hype would that have been? :3

Still think Zombies in REmake were scarier but man this game is a thrill. Reminds me of a 70's grindhouse film in the guise of a modern thriller.

Best capcom game since Dragon's Dogma for sure.

Top Bottom