• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Hey can someone confirm for me if this is true. I've been reading a bunch of posts on Reddit about people trying to stream this game in VR and they can't.

Right when the game unlocked, you couldn't for some reason. Same thing happened with Phantom Pain in my experience.

It's fine now though.

noomi

Watching LIRIK struggle on
Chainsaw Jack
, makes me feel good about beating it.... after like 4 tries :p

FunkMiller

Fuck me, playing this in VR is pretty intense. Okay, the definition isn't exactly what it could be, and some of the textures are a bit flat and 'pop up book' like (tree branches and leaves particularly) but it's a fantastic experience otherwise.

I've only just reached the point where
Mia cuts your hand off
, but it's already a great game, especially in the VR format. When
she jumps out at you as you walk down the hallway, I nearly shit myself.

Id say it's going to be a tense game to play, but I'd say the VR is not so terrifying that it'll make me stop playing with it.

Haven't experienced And sense of motion sickness, other than a very slight queasy feeling once when I was looking around the kitchen.

Damn you Lucas!
these damn tripwire and boxes rugged to blow are are a pain in the ass. Especially since since sone of the trip wires are really well hidden.

Ugh!! 5 more hours of work to go.

So glad everyones enjoying it. Can't wait to dive in

Does this game have checkpoints or save stations?

Scotia

Banned
Beat the Marguerite boss fight. Whole fight had me like:

raw

Damn you Lucas!
these damn tripwire and boxes rugged to blow are are a pain in the ass. Especially since since sone of the trip wires are really well hidden.

tfw
you try to disarm them like your playing friggin Fallout, and you trip one in the process, then proceed to trip the other one.

dlauv

If I have never played a Resident Evil game before, is this a good entry point?

Or should I start from the beginning? The game being in first person doesn't bother me.

This is a great entry point with very modern sensibilities. If you like it, you should check out older titles which have been remastered in HD. I recommend REmaster and RE4. They're even better although quite different. So you should check them out even if you don't like this game.

Well shit.

After you beat big monster on the barn Lucas makes you fight to get the code for the door. He makes you give up all your weapons and gear.

Welp, here goes nothing.

Wanderer5

Beat the Marguerite boss fight. Whole fight had me like:

raw

That were I am at, and sheesh.
I brought in the flamethrower and grenade launcher, and gotta make every round count, cause I was running out of ammo with her before I called it for the time being, unless I switch out the knife maybe.

Kalentan

You're kind of fucked for one, but you might be fine with another. You'll just have to sneak a bit on the second floor. And as you're doing that, you might find ammo or gun powder.

I managed to find one of those fluids and made more ammo. Then I realized I had one of the light-shadow puzzle items and have even encounter my first 'other' enemy and got to the next save point.

Despite this game being amazing, yeah Ethan has to be the worst protagonist in a mainline RE game.

He's either nothing, or he's kind of an asshole.

Why are you asking the cop for his gun? Are you stupid?

Bl@de

Played for 1h 20min up to
the fight in the garage
. It's a very good game so far. But nothing like previous titles. Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs. The Evil Dead is more like it. Some situations are simply hilarious. Bruce Campbell should've been the voice actor of Ethan. My only complaint is that it's pretty linear so far.
Sure you can visit the different rooms in the small house, but it's nothing compared to the mansion in RE1.
But like I said: I'm 1h20min into the game.

PC performance? Fantastic. 1440p, maximum settings (except crap like chromatic abberation and depth of field) = 120-144fps on a Xeon1230v3 + 980 ti. But some textures are very low quality. I can think of two guys who could do some texture work on this one after a little project called RE4HD :p M+KB controls are perfect. Customizable and the UI is also fine.

Wink

So, I kept my expectations in check. Even with the good reviews and positive impressions I didn't fall for the hype. I've just been burned by big franchises outings too often lately.

But my god is it good... They made a classic Resi plus modern first person horror ideas and I'm in utter disbelief of how incredibly well it works. I feel so at home with how it's structured. Absolute homerun so far.

luulubuu

Despite this game being amazing, yeah Ethan has to be the worst protagonist in a mainline RE game.

This, so hard

If I was in that situation I would be like "GUESS WHAT, IM TRAPPED IN A HOUSE, THE DOORS ARE TRAPPED, I HAVE A GIANT SCAR IN MY ARM AND IM VISIBLE STRESSED PLEASE MAN JUST LET ME GO WITH YOU

Loving the game btw

the new drivers for Nvidia are up, hope it fixes some stuttering

Durock

Really trying not to read much of anything in this thread, but I had an issue hit me suddenly with VR and not sure if it's the game or the VR itself.

Basically, the reticle stopped moving when I move and everything is inverted. If I look right, it looks left in-game. Same thing for up and down. I didn't have this issue this morning when playing and haven't changed anything in the settings.

Anyone else experience something similar?

Random question, but at what point did
inventory turn into three rows instead of two
? Did I miss something I picked up in a panic?

I just got the first key (
scorpion
) if that makes things easier.

I managed to find one of those fluids and made more ammo. Then I realized I had one of the light-shadow puzzle items and have even encounter my first 'other' enemy and got to the next save point.

One tip if you haven't heard it yet.

(Barely a spoiler but tagging it anyway)
Unless you're desperate and need to stun him, shooting Jack is not worth it.

Maybe 30 minutes in and that certainly escalated quickly rofl

A little annoyed that the beginning has a bunch of repeated stuff from the demo. I thought people said it was a totally separate thing. Probably would have skipped it if I had known

Some of these textures up close are really terrible, but I'm all for it if it keeps the framerate a smooth 60

Wink

Played for 1h 20min up to
the fight in the garage
. It's a very good game so far. But nothing like previous titles. Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs. The Evil Dead is more like it. Some situations are simply hilarious. Bruce Campbell should've been the voice actor of Ethan. My only complaint is that it's pretty linear so far.
Sure you can visit the different rooms in the small house, but it's nothing compared to the mansion in RE1.
But like I said: I'm 1h20min into the game.

I'm maybe at twice that and already overcame that exact same initial impression. It gets quite Resi One like soon enough ^^

Random question, but at what point did
inventory turn into three rows instead of two
? Did I miss something I picked up in a panic?

I just got the first key (
scorpion
) if that makes things easier.

You're not there yet, don't worry.

Maybe 30 minutes in and that certainly escalated quickly rofl

A little annoyed that the beginning has a bunch of repeated stuff from the demo. I thought people said it was a totally separate thing. Probably would have skipped it if I had known

To be fair, the only thing that's completely the same from the demo is the fact that you can watch the tape from the demo. Everything else is at least used in a different way.

Was really interesting to me actually, because I was so used to that area after playing the demo so many times, a lot of things caught me by surprise.

Ferrio

Banned

Well since it's first person it makes sense that Ethan would be paper thin of a character, having him freak out everytime something happens is redundant cause that's the player's duty.

You're not there yet, don't worry.
Mine is
definitely 3 rows now
though. I have no idea when it happened, but I noticed it while running from those...things and finally getting somewhere safe. I picked up a few things along the way, but I don't know what. I was mashing buttons and panicking lol

SOLDIER

How's the VR mode? Is it better realized than the demo? I was disappointed how immersion-breaking it was (either floating hands when interacting with objects or no hands at all), so I'm curious if it's more of that and whether it's a better experience to play it through the TV.

Also, is it recommended to go through the game once with the default difficulty? Is the next tier so difficult it could hamper enjoyment?

Well since it's first person it makes sense that Ethan would be paper thin of a character, having him freak out everytime something happens is redundant cause that's the player's duty.

Just because the game's in first person, doesn't necessarily mean the main character has to be a nobody. And I'm not saying he should be freaking out more. Just act more like a person, I don't know.

Mine is
definitely 3 rows now
though. I have no idea when it happened, but I noticed it while running from those...things and finally getting somewhere safe. I picked up a few things along the way, but I don't know what. I was mashing buttons and panicking lol

I don't know man, guess I missed it then lol

So after I'm done with the video tapes you should just store them right?

Yeah, they're useless after that

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Question, I've wanted to ask this when the game was released for months, so now I'll finally ask it:

Do you guy's think Capcom's decision to hide most of the game before release 'to keep it a surprise for players, which works best for horror' to be good decision in the end?

hunchback

This is a great entry point with very modern sensibilities. If you like it, you should check out older titles which have been remastered in HD. I recommend REmaster and RE4. They're even better although quite different. So you should check them out even if you don't like this game.

Thanks to everyone that answered. I got so many responses that I'm downloading the REmaster, RE4 and RE7. Might as well jump in with both feet.

Thanks again

dlauv

90 fov makes combat quite a bit easier, makes it harder to trigger interaction prompts, and removes the player from the world a bit.

Scotia

Banned
That were I am at, and sheesh.
I brought in the flamethrower and grenade launcher, and gotta make every round count, cause I was running out of ammo with her before I called it for the time being, unless I switch out the knife maybe.

You have a grenade launcher? I had no idea you could get one yet. Fuck.

Top Bottom